Question about Queen Anne grills terrace.

Windsurfboy

I have to come clean. I was an interloper for about one minute on the stairway leading up to the grills terrace during our last QM2 voyage. I've seen photos of this window posted several times on various social media and it finally dawned on me where it must be. So I took my chances and snuck halfway up the stairway to take my own photo of this view. Please don't turn me in! 🤣

QM2GrillsTerraceStairway.thumb.jpg.c99b1ea09b6d94b830c7301cdcf4f159.jpg

• Haha 6

Let's set up the Grill Police (a bit like the fashion police).

The GP will patrol the Grill Only areas.

If they don't look right, they'll listen to the accents. Often, they'll give themselves away.

The GP will also watch for their reading material. The riff-raff tend to read trashy magazines instead of proper literature.

If they're ordering pints of brown ale, they're probably not in the Grills.

Flat caps or knotted handerchiefs on their heads are another give away.

Listen carefully for strange bodily noises that Grill clients don't make.

We'll certainly root them out!!!

• Haha 9

24 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I have to come clean. I was an interloper for about one minute on the stairway leading up to the grills terrace during our last QM2 voyage. I've seen photos of this window posted several times on various social media and it finally dawned on me where it must be. So I took my chances and snuck halfway up the stairway to take my own photo of this view. Please don't turn me in! 🤣

I think anyone who wants to infiltrate the QM2 Grills Terrace can have my space. It is not really very wonderful.

40 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Let's set up the Grill Police (a bit like the fashion police).

The GP will patrol the Grill Only areas.

If they don't look right, they'll listen to the accents. Often, they'll give themselves away.

The GP will also watch for their reading material. The riff-raff tend to read trashy magazines instead of proper literature.

If they're ordering pints of brown ale, they're probably not in the Grills.

Flat caps or knotted handerchiefs on their heads are another give away.

Listen carefully for strange bodily noises that Grill clients don't make.

We'll certainly root them out!!!

I am zinkeeing ve ave vays ov feendeeng zem out

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

One of my favorite look outs on the QM2! Too bad it’s for a brief moment. 

• Like 1

Talking of “giveaways” for interlopers: a few times I have seen those with the incorrect dressing gowns/robes on the Grill Terraces.

Once on QE cruise there was unbelievably a couple from our village, who definitely were not in the Grills, who quite brazenly used the dedicated lounge!

Let’s hope the QA  security/IT can stop this. If you want it, then pay for it, or just be happy to be on board!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

Talking of “giveaways” for interlopers: a few times I have seen those with the incorrect dressing gowns/robes on the Grill Terraces.

Once on QE cruise there was unbelievably a couple from our village, who definitely were not in the Grills, who quite brazenly used the dedicated lounge!

Let’s hope the QA  security/IT can stop this. If you want it, then pay for it, or just be happy to be on board!

In the lounge in their dressing gowns?

On 10/30/2023 at 6:04 PM, bluemarble said:

Let's get a gate put here to keep the riff raff out

On 10/30/2023 at 7:04 PM, bluemarble said:

The stairwell isn’t posted as Grills only, (I think…could be wrong) just the deck when one gets to the top of it. Technically, if one were to be literal, one would have to descend the stair back to deck 8 and find another way around. Realistically, Cunard expects people to pass through the Grills Terrace going from deck 8 to deck 12 via those aft exterior stairways. It’s the lingering about deck 11 in the process of ascending that is the issue. 

I rather like the stairwell…when my knees feel cooperative. 

Edited by ExArkie

4 hours ago, ExArkie said:

The stairwell isn’t posted as Grills only, (I think…could be wrong) just the deck when one gets to the top of it. Technically, if one were to be literal, one would have to descend the stair back to deck 8 and find another way around. Realistically, Cunard expects people to pass through the Grills Terrace going from deck 8 to deck 12 via those aft exterior stairways. It’s the lingering about deck 11 in the process of ascending that is the issue. 

I rather like the stairwell…when my knees feel cooperative. 

There are small signs at the base of the stairwells on deck 8 of QM2 stating something along the lines of "Grills guests only". Sorry I don't know the precise wording. I'm not certain about signage at the top of the stairways on deck 12. I don't get there very often.

It's been my assumption that the grills terrace is not to be used by Britannia guests even if they are just passing through between decks 8 and 12. Whether anyone actually cares about that is another matter. I see there are past posts on this forum where it's stated there is no issue with guests passing through the grills terrace on their way between decks 8 and 12. On the other hand, I may just be imagining it but I seem to recall a post about a grills guest on one voyage who took it upon himself to confront those he saw simply passing through the grills terrace on their way between decks 8 and 12. If my memory is accurate about such a post, perhaps he was just acting on what he perceived to be the policy, not the actual policy.

On the subject of being a grills interloper, I just remembered another occasion where I have transgressed into grills territory temporarily. Some of you may remember my inventory of Christmas trees on QM2 last year. That necessitated my entering the grills restaurants, the grills lounge and the concierge lounge just far enough when no one was using them to take photos of the Christmas trees near their entrances. Hopefully that was allowed "in the spirit of enquiry" as @exlondoner put it at the time. 😉

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

There are small signs at the base of the stairwells on deck 8 of QM2 stating something along the lines of "Grills guests only". Sorry I don't know the precise wording. I'm not certain about signage at the top of the stairways on deck 12. I don't get there very often.

It's been my assumption that the grills terrace is not to be used by Britannia guests even if they are just passing through between decks 8 and 12. Whether anyone actually cares about that is another matter. I see there are past posts on this forum where it's stated there is no issue with guests passing through the grills terrace on their way between decks 8 and 12. On the other hand, I may just be imagining it but I seem to recall a post about a grills guest on one voyage who took it upon himself to confront those he saw simply passing through the grills terrace on their way between decks 8 and 12. If my memory is accurate about such a post, perhaps he was just acting on what he perceived to be the policy, not the actual policy.

On the subject of being a grills interloper, I just remembered another occasion where I have transgressed into grills territory temporarily. Some of you may remember my inventory of Christmas trees on QM2 last year. That necessitated my entering the grills restaurants, the grills lounge and the concierge lounge just far enough when no one was using them to take photos of the Christmas trees near their entrances. Hopefully that was allowed "in the spirit of enquiry" as @exlondoner put it at the time. 😉

On my one Christmas voyage, on QV, I learnt that Qs 1+2 had full sized Christmas trees. I imagine you might not have been able to inventory those.

6 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

On my one Christmas voyage, on QV, I learnt that Qs 1+2 had full sized Christmas trees. I imagine you might not have been able to inventory those.

That's correct, I did not attempt to inventory Christmas trees in the Q1 and Q2 suites. To quote you more accurately, that's where your reply to my inventory of 32 Christmas trees on the "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas (on QM2)" thread suggested I might look for additional trees "in the spirit of enquiry". I did not attempt to inventory trees in the crew areas either for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

That's correct, I did not attempt to inventory Christmas trees in the Q1 and Q2 suites. To quote you more accurately, that's where your reply to my inventory of 32 Christmas trees on the "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas (on QM2)" thread suggested I might look for additional trees "in the spirit of enquiry". I did not attempt to inventory trees in the crew areas either for obvious reasons.

Well, if nothing else, this proves your memory is far better than mine. 😀

Let's be serious,  there's no way you can tell a griller a non griller ( apart from the coating of cooking oil on the griller😁). 

No one is really suggesting they would be crass enough to interrogate fellow passengers. 

My solution is CCTV and facial recognition, coupled with ejector seats.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Haha 3

On 11/1/2023 at 4:05 PM, exlondoner said:

We were on QM2 last December 15 - 22, complimentary upgrade to a Q1. Did not have a Christmas tree.

On 11/1/2023 at 3:24 PM, bluemarble said:

I stand corrected. I have only seen the “Grill Guests Only” sign actually on the Grills  Terrace at the top of said stairway. I was housed in a Grills  suite at the time…

I've yet to have been on a warm voyage on QM2 and in the Grills. Hoping to put this right this Christmas PG in the Caribbean. I guess the point of this stairway is to give grills guests access to the pool on Deck 8, if a dip in the pool is fancied rather than being restricted to the Grills only Jacuzzi on Deck 11. I'm hoping to take advantage.  We were in the Grills Once before it was an Iceland and Canada trip to New York via Liverpool  2019  wonderfully journey but not much sunbathing  to be had.

2 hours ago, ExArkie said:

We were on QM2 last December 15 - 22, complimentary upgrade to a Q1. Did not have a Christmas tree.

From my knowledge, you're given the option to have one. This may have to be requested a while before the cruise though, and maybe because of a (late?) upgrade, it was missed.

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2023 at 2:04 PM, WantedOnVoyage said:

I would rather the crew take care of this when or if it becomes an issue.  

As a once teenage "gate crasher" on liners, I was spotted in a heartbeat on FRANCE... they could smell Tourist Class passengers at a 10 ft. distance. They just knew.  Italian Line to a lesser degree.. if you had a girlfriend in First, why they issued issued you a pass to visit First Class every evening... those romantic Latins!

But... no... if I sensed folks using what they did not pay for, I would quietly approach a staff member and have him or her deal with it and PDQ.  QM2 especially where the deck is too small in capacity in the first place.  Fifty years after FRANCE/RAFFAELLO, I am on the "right side" of the red velvet rope and mean to enjoy it, too!

I also was once a young man on both the Raffaello and the France in tourist class. A group of us young people decided to have afternoon tea in the first class ballroom on the Raffaello. As soon he saw us, a head waiter asked, "What cabin are you in?". When we told him, he politely told us we could have afternoon tea in the tourist class dining room. A couple of years later, on the France, I met a girl from first class. Many young first class people would come to tourist class bars and night clubs, because there were many young people in tourist. She invited me to L'Atlantique, a late night first class bar.   Nobody stopped me and I had the onion soup which was a late night specialty there. Loved those two ships. 

• Like 3

On 7/9/2022 at 7:10 PM, bluemarble said:

This is only my interpretation of the QA deck plans, but this is what I figure constitutes the grills terrace on deck 11. Note the entrances/exits indicated at the top and bottom. I figure those are a pretty good indicator for what marks the boundaries of the grills terrace.

1288065092_QAGrillsTerrace.png.12efd24cc94936ba2cc080f81912638d.png

At least they'll have a good view of the Sea Screen if they look up! We will be in a cabin on that deck, chosen because I like forward high up cabin and also love to be reasonably near the Commodore Club.  I won't be crossing the magic line into the Grills section though! I might gaze mournfully though ...

Edited by elmsliebev

9 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

At least they'll have a good view of the Sea Screen if they look up! We will be in a cabin on that deck, chosen because I like forward high up cabin and also love to be reasonably near the Commodore Club.  I won't be crossing the magic line into the Grills section though! I might gaze mournfully though ...

Think it's look down but hopefully, the screen will be obscured.

Onboard ship. do outdoor screen watchers have ear phones or is it the unfortunate case where the sound is broadcast onto the deck and thus surrounding areas?

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Think it's look down but hopefully, the screen will be obscured.

Onboard ship. do outdoor screen watchers have ear phones or is it the unfortunate case where the sound is broadcast onto the deck and thus surrounding areas?

on Azura last month there were no headphones but it certainly wasn't instrusive elsewhere. The only place you could really hear it was on that particualar part of the deck. Far worse was frequent loud music during the day on the deck behind it. We could always find a quieter spot though. Maybe QA will have headphones, who knows. We did watch a film one evening and it was very cozy, with extra thick mattresses and good quality fleeces. 

Edited by elmsliebev
  • Thanks 1