What happens if you test (+) on pre-board test or on embarkation day after 9/30/2022?

ebeluga

On 10/1 when the cruise with confidence and protection program expires, if you are denied boarding because of a (+) test, will you be entitled to a 100% FCC?  What is your take?

According to the Princess FAQ dated 7/11:

Guests who test positive for COVID-19, as well as their family members and close contacts, will not be allowed to sail and should not travel to the ship. If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are not permitted to board, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC).

If you are denied boarding at the pier because you tested positive for COVID-19 on embarkation day, change fees and reasonable expenses related shoreside quarantine and travel home for you and your immediate travel party will be covered by Princess if not reimbursable from medical insurance, a travel protection plan or other responsible party. Any meals during shoreside quarantine will be covered by a per-diem meal allowance as communicated by a letter provided by staff at the pier. (No receipt retention is required.)

4 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

On 10/1 when the cruise with confidence and protection program expires, if you are denied boarding because of a (+) test, will you be entitled to a 100% FCC?  What is your take?

According to the Princess FAQ dated 7/11:

Guests who test positive for COVID-19, as well as their family members and close contacts, will not be allowed to sail and should not travel to the ship. If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are not permitted to board, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC).

If you are denied boarding at the pier because you tested positive for COVID-19 on embarkation day, change fees and reasonable expenses related shoreside quarantine and travel home for you and your immediate travel party will be covered by Princess if not reimbursable from medical insurance, a travel protection plan or other responsible party. Any meals during shoreside quarantine will be covered by a per-diem meal allowance as communicated by a letter provided by staff at the pier. (No receipt retention is required.)

So, I’m assuming your insurance will kick in.

I asked a CS rep if it will be extended and they said, it all depends on Covid19 and the CDC at that time.  Which she said 

could be at any time.  Hmmm

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

If I am driving to homeport and cruise in my home state, not high risk of getting serious disease from COVID, why would I need to get insurance?

So many reasons.  Insurance isn't just for CoVid.  

3 hours ago, ebeluga said:

If I am driving to homeport and cruise in my home state, not high risk of getting serious disease from COVID, why would I need to get insurance?

Think about all of the airline issues right now.  What if you miss a connecting flight to get to the port?  Insurance will help you here.  I speak from experience!  Twice!

10 hours ago, ebeluga said:

A friend of mine got sick while on his last cruise, he had taken out the insurance and it reimbursed him for the medical bills that his health insurance didn't cover. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ebeluga said:

It would provide a solid answer to the question you are asking. You and your traveling companions who also have insurance would be entitled to 100% of your paid funds back in cash, as opposed to an FCC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

It would provide a solid answer to the question you are asking. You and your traveling companions who also have insurance would be entitled to 100% of your paid funds back in cash, as opposed to an FCC. 

Thank you! The cruise is paid for by FCC to begin with.  The only possible unverified benefit I could think of is with Princess insurance, maybe there is no expiration date for the refund FCC, and plus the cancel for no reason freedom if I don't like their protocols or service level.

15 hours ago, ebeluga said:

Not sure I understand this question. A better question is why would anyone NOT have travel insurance...covid aside. Also it is smart to compare Princess insurance to independent companies. 

1 hour ago, ebeluga said:

Thank you! The cruise is paid for by FCC to begin with.  The only possible unverified benefit I could think of is with Princess insurance, maybe there is no expiration date for the refund FCC, and plus the cancel for no reason freedom if I don't like their protocols or service level.

Sorry, but this is not comprehensible.  The cruise is paid for by FCC... But in order to have FCCs, you must have paid for a cruise, correct?  So, in order not to pay the insurance, you are willing to lose the money you originally paid?  Yes, there is an expiration date for the FCC and the cancel for no reason works only before you take the cruise.  You're not going to know if you like anything until you board the ship and experience the cruise.

It appears that you don't want to pay for the insurance.  That's fine, and it is a risk you take.

As far as the original question, we don't know what is going to happen in August, much less October.  We have to wait to see if Princess extends the cruise with confidence policy.

2 hours ago, ebeluga said:

That’s a different outcome. The portion of cruise fare paid with FCCs is not insurable through PVP. At least that’s the way it used to be. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ebeluga said:

@toofewcruisesu

just trying to use up the bonus FCC that has an expiration date of 12/30/2022.  I would not have paid real cash to do a cruise at this time.

You would also need to check with whatever insurance company you might decide to go with about trip cancellation or disruption coverage for “bonus” FCC’s.  These FCC’s have no cash value and some (if not all) insurance companies do not cover them (at least pre covid).  

edit:  see pescadoamarillo response too

Edited by t&atravel
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

If I bought Princess insurance, and later on decided to cancel the cruise using the "cancel for any reason" benefit, will I get my full refund in cash or FCC that must be used within a limited time?

Thank you.

CFAR  in cruise line insurance is always FCC because it is a benefit provided by the cruise line, not the insurance company. Except Holland America -  all cancellations are CFAR with 90% cash back.

If you buy third-party insurance, CFAR comes with additional requirements and premium. It will reimburse in cash, but usually only about 75%.

Edited by Babr

31 minutes ago, Babr said:

CFAR  in cruise line insurance is always FCC because it is a benefit provided by the cruise line, not the insurance company. Except Holland America -  all cancellations are CFAR with 90% cash back.

If you buy third-party insurance, CFAR comes with additional requirements and premium. It will reimburse in cash, but usually only about 75%.

Thank you.

We are flying in to Barcelona on November 3rd.  We board the ship November 6th.  If I do a Covid test in Barcelona  because it has to be done within 3 days of boarding the ship and I have Covid will the Princess Insurance fly me back home from Barcelona and pay for my quarrantine in Barcelona.  I want to add we are boarding in Barcelona for 26 nights and ending in Ft Lauderdale.  If Princess insurance does not cover this can anyone suggest a travel insurance company who would cover this?  We would not be doing the test at the cruise port we would be doing it in a drug store in Barcelona.

Edited by smitty3000
adding words