CDC Ends Cruise Ship Protocols?

imacruiser99

It will be interesting to see what cruise lines do now. I saw today Princess will now be allowing some unvaccinated guests, so wouldn't surprise me if others do the same. This industry is kind of "follow the leader" right now, especially with all the lines competing to fill their ships and make some money back.

• Like 1

This is the biggest news here:

As of July 18, 2022, CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships is no longer in effect

Europe dropped covid testing for select sailings, princess updated their guidelines today. I expect more changes to happen in the next few weeks

• Like 2

Yes, I think you are reading it correctly. The entire Cruise Ship Guidance section of the CDC website now has a banner that says :As of July 18, 2022, CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships is no longer in effect and this page will no longer be updated."

NCL hasn't updated their Sail Safe web page yet, but they probably need some time to figure out what this all means for them.

• Like 1

What's the status of the masking mandate for transportation terminals, ie, airports, cruise terminals, etc.  I understand it's no longer a federal mandate but up to individual airports, terminals, etc.

On our last cruise out of NOLA in March, there was a very long, over an hour, line.  They had terminal employees walking the line correcting people for incorrect mask wear.  Of course, as soon as the employee left, people went back to what they were doing, ie, mask  under nose, etc.

This is interesting and if this is what it appears to be I hope NCL will soon drop testing on the routes it can.  Obviously the CDC isn't the only authority involved in international sailing so other countries being visited may still require testing. 

5 minutes ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

Come on Bermuda!!

i doubt bermuda will do anything. they seen the money they earned last year when it was $75 dollars per person. I was surprised they lowered the cost to only $40 dollars. Bermuda government will do anything to keep the fees in place to earn that extra money 

• Like 1

Just now, shof515 said:

i doubt bermuda will do anything. they seen the money they earned last year when it was $75 dollars per person. I was surprised they lowered the cost to only $40 dollars. Bermuda government will do anything to keep the fees in place to earn that extra money 

do people pay that even if they stay on the ship?

Just now, shof515 said:

Do you know how much it costs them to administer that program?  I'm sure it is not free and maybe it is not that much of a money-maker.  Furthermore, how many tourist dollars are staying away because they don't want to deal with the hassle or pay the fee?  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

What's the status of the masking mandate for transportation terminals, ie, airports, cruise terminals, etc.  I understand it's no longer a federal mandate but up to individual airports, terminals, etc.

There is no federal requirement, but local governments/businesses/establishments can still choose to enact their own protocols. So it's still a bit of a patchwork quilt of rules.

16 minutes ago, jetact said:

Hopefully NCL moves on this soon as I have been holding off buying our e-med tests for our cruise in August.  

The problem is that North America is seemingly in another wave, and there is definitely COVID on every ship sailing to/from the US, so I don't see too much changing too fast.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

Do you know how much it costs them to administer that program?  I'm sure it is not free and maybe it is not that much of a money-maker.  Furthermore, how many tourist dollars are staying away because they don't want to deal with the hassle or pay the fee?  

I have hope that as Bermuda become more of an outlier, they will be embarrassed enough into dropping the requirement.  Right now it is a foreign revenue stream that supports Travel Authority jobs.

Now that CDC says people can make their own risk assessment for cruising, does this mean cruise lines don’t need to feel responsible for COVID assistance plans or lenient cancellation policies?

Are we back to standard operating procedures?

7 minutes ago, Babr said:

Now that CDC says people can make their own risk assessment for cruising

Haven't people been making their own risk assessments throughout the plague?  I know I have.  I've said "dang the Covidpedos, full cruising ahead!"

7 minutes ago, Babr said:

does this mean cruise lines don’t need to feel responsible for COVID assistance plans

I don't think the cruise lines have ever felt responsible for Covid assistance plans.  We've seen many reports that if you aren't allowed to board, you're pretty much on your own.  Regarding cancellations, if I provide them with a positive test result, they can either allow me on the ship or refund my money.  Their call....

ETA: I just realized that there is only one thread on this.  Normally, news such as this spawns about three redundant threads, two being started by folks who rush in to "break the news" without even checking the current threads.  Folks must all be working or sleeping.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

Haven't people been making their own risk assessments throughout the plague?  I know I have.  I've said "dang the Covidpedos, full cruising ahead!"

I don't think the cruise lines have ever felt responsible for Covid assistance plans.  We've seen many reports that if you aren't allowed to board, you're pretty much on your own.  Regarding cancellations, if I provide them with a positive test result, they can either allow me on the ship or refund my money.  Their call....

That is what I’m trying to figure out. If there is no testing required, would they still give you a refund?

As long as the cruise lines provide reimbursement and last minute cancellation, they are assuming a lot of the responsibility. They’ll probably be glad to put an end to that as well.

13 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

ETA: I just realized that there is only one thread on this.  Normally, news such as this spawns about three redundant threads, two being started by folks who rush in to "break the news" without even checking the current threads.  Folks must all be working or sleeping.

You called it.  There are 3 now, and probably someone hurrying to type a 4th 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

because some people do work for a living, they don't have time to constantly respond to every thread or read every thread for that matter. :-)...

• Like 1