CDC Issues The New Guidance for Cruise Ships on the Mitigation and Management of COVID-19

1 hour ago, Rusty_lock said:

My prediction is that the announcements start being released after the closing bell in NY.  I'll be scanning the wire at 4:05 EDT 🙂 

Is this a pure prediction , or is something on the street today , there will be announcements today ????

42 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Wow are tests that expensive in the US? Here in the UK for a in person antigen test, we are looking at £30 (36USD) per person. A PCR test is more expensive around £40+ (48USD) via DAM Health.

That isn’t what people are paying out of pocket.  It is what the govt is paying the pharmacy.  Things are changing a bit, but typically it has been the insurance companies or the govt paying 100% of the cost for these tests.  So while it is free to all of us, we are all still paying one way or another (and thus our neighbors are paying for our tests to go on a cruise).  

5 minutes ago, ssb said:

Is this a pure prediction , or is something on the street today , there will be announcements today ????

I’m quite certain this a prediction.  Basically they have a hunch.  If this was based on known information it would be out already I’m sure.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, palmettostatecruiser said:

You are so right, I think a lot of the US's issues are that govt. agencies are out of touch with real life. I work with several of them in my industry & the inability to grasp how things truly work is astounding.

Same.  Government is forcing rules on companies where the rules don't exist.  Forced submissions though regulatory overreach.  This is not political but factual.

• Like 5

On 7/21/2022 at 5:41 AM, Anton said:

Last night CDC posted the new guidance which replaced the "voluntary" compliance program they suddenly ended on July 18.  This is the document Royal Caribbean and the other cruise lines have been waiting for since Monday, the one they will reference to adjust current Covid requirements.  You can read it here: Guidance for Cruise Ships on the Mitigation and Management of COVID-19

Listen to the same clowns ... get the same circus

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Wow are tests that expensive in the US? Here in the UK for a in person antigen test, we are looking at £30 (36USD) per person. A PCR test is more expensive around £40+ (48USD) via DAM Health.

You have socialized medicine so your government is paying for it.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rudeney said:

You have socialized medicine so you are still paying for it. and everyone else too.

Edited by wingatesl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, topnole said:

Out govt has been paying for it too.  Them and the insurance companies.  

Yes, but they stopped (back in MArch, I think.  And so have some insurance companies, hence why people are being charged.  

Just now, rudeney said:

Yes, but they stopped (back in MArch, I think.  And so have some insurance companies, hence why people are being charged.  

Our drugstore tests were free in May.  Probably paid by insurance company.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Nope our free ones have finished and those in the pharmacy that you need to travel are not subsidized. Our govn told the pharmacy companies they are not to charge more then nessary and rip off the consumer. They would be removed from the government approved travel test provider list if they did.

7 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Nope our free ones have finished and those in the pharmacy that you need to travel are not subsidized. Our govn told the pharmacy companies they are not to charge more then nessary and rip off the consumer. They would be removed from the government approved travel test provider list if they did.

So not subsidize.  Just the government controlled pricing.  Not sure either is a great thing.  

3 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I've never paid for a test when I go into the pharmacy, just if I did it over the computer

18 minutes ago, topnole said:

So not subsidize.  Just the government controlled pricing.  Not sure either is a great thing.  

And some may think not allowing pharmacies to rip off a customer for a health test is a pretty awesome thing. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rudeney said:

The UK govt never paid for tests for holidays or travel.  Yes we had free testing up till March this year but just the home antigen tests  that were not accepted by travel companies (and pcr if the antigen was positive) The NHS tests were never accepted by airlines, cruise companies etc 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Oh some people get the free lunch, it is just simply paid for by someone else.

Isn’t that the same thing as RCL paying for quarantine expenses and transportation home?  $250 per night for hotel and $100 for food.

22 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Another (one ship) cruise line removes testing for “vaccinated” guests.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/27901-margaritaville-at-sea-stops-pre-embarkation-covid-19-testing.html

Really can't compare them to Royal, whatsoever. Or any other mainstream line.  They also got shut down last Thursday (the 13th) with a No Sail Order until they could come into compliance for a variety of issues.  https://www.wptv.com/lifestyle/travel/no-sail-order-issued-for-margaritaville-cruise-ship-docked-at-port-of-palm-beach   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Babr said:

Isn’t that the same thing as RCL paying for quarantine expenses and transportation home?  $250 per night for hotel and $100 for food.

In a roundabout way, yes. The difference is that one (the taxes and premiums) being mandatory, with cruising being optional. 

It is a good example though as you can compare the cruise fares against their P/L and see a similar trend. I bet they are taking it all out of the food and beverage budget. That's why the UBP has gone up so much. 

41 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Really can't compare them to Royal, whatsoever. Or any other mainstream line.  They also got shut down last Thursday (the 13th) with a No Sail Order until they could come into compliance for a variety of issues.  https://www.wptv.com/lifestyle/travel/no-sail-order-issued-for-margaritaville-cruise-ship-docked-at-port-of-palm-beach   

LOL…Did you read where I posted a “one” ship cruise line? I’m not stupid. Just reporting that “another” cruise line has removed the testing requirement. Duh me!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

LOL…Did you read where I posted a “one” ship cruise line? I’m not stupid. Just reporting that “another” cruise line has removed the testing requirement. Duh me!!!

The smaller cruise lines would be wise to take such a course. If the big three hang on too much longer, I can guarantee there will be people who book other lines and other itineraries. It isn't insignificant either. A 2% attrition from the big lines in a year would mean 10-30% (probably more, was a WAG) increase in revenue for those smaller lines. 

You just said it in fewer words!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wingatesl said:

The smaller cruise lines would be wise to take such a course. If the big three hang on too much longer, I can guarantee there will be people who book other lines and other itineraries. It isn't insignificant either. A 2% attrition from the big lines in a year would mean 10-30% (probably more, was a WAG) increase in revenue for those smaller lines. 

You just said it in fewer words!

Agree. Much easier for the smaller lines with fewer ships to move faster. 😉 I’m sure that some of the lines that have ships placed all over the world and still need to figure out which ports/countries still require testing. I think that we will start to hear more next week. 

• Like 1