Dinner on Balcony?

ronmar22

We recently began cruising again after many years of RVing.  Since August of 2021 we have sailed twice, both times in suites and have enjoyed occasionally dining on our balcony.  Our next cruise is on the Millennium in October 2022 and we will be in an aft facing "sunset" cabin.  Will we be able to have dinner on our balcony or is that only for suite guests? 

10 minutes ago, ronmar22 said:

We recently began cruising again after many years of RVing.  Since August of 2021 we have sailed twice, both times in suites and have enjoyed occasionally dining on our balcony.  Our next cruise is on the Millennium in October 2022 and we will be in an aft facing "sunset" cabin.  Will we be able to have dinner on our balcony or is that only for suite guests? 

You can order dinner through room service and have it on your balcony.  But no butler to set it up for you if not in a suite.

Pro-tip, if you order room service, regardless of the menu you order from, if you're not in the room when they arrive they will enter the room leave the food.  I wouldn't want to do that for a full dinner but it's great when you have late dinner plans just want a few apps (crab cakes!) to share right when they open at 530pm

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Pro-tip, if you order room service, regardless of the menu you order from, if you're not in the room when they arrive they will enter the room leave the food.  I wouldn't want to do that for a full dinner but it's great when you have late dinner plans just want a few apps (crab cakes!) to share right when they open at 530pm

If I wanted to relax and enjoy dinner on my balcony, why would I order my dinner and leave the cabin?  I would already have gone to the closest bar and ordered drinks to go with dinner and then returned to my cabin and would be patiently waiting for my dinner to be delivered.  I would then enjoy.

1 minute ago, Snit13 said:

If I wanted to relax and enjoy dinner on my balcony, why would I order my dinner and leave the cabin?  I would already have gone to the closest bar and ordered drinks to go with dinner and then returned to my cabin and would be patiently waiting for my dinner to be delivered.  I would then enjoy.

Just Asking!

7 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

🤦‍♂️Re-read my post again...

1 minute ago, Snit13 said:

I did.  I still get same impression from your post.  Sorry.

The way I read it... of course you wouldn't want to order dinner then vacate the cabin, but if you are not there they will leave the food inside, so it may suit you to do that if you know you will be out but still want something to eat when you get back...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you experienced the dinner buffet?  There are outdoor tables at the Oceanview Cafe (when/if Celebrity decides to have specialty dining al fresco these would be far and away the most expensive seats in the house with the best views.  They are free currently).  and there's a large assortment of appetizers, charcuterie, side dishes, and desserts you won't find in the MDR.  My suggestion; try it one night and instead of your cabin, just use the outdoor tables.  You'll be next to a bar and there is soft-drink service during dinner time.  I just find the "table" on balconies to be sufficent for 2 cups of coffee, but not for dining.  

Alternative option for your consideration instead of going to a bar here and there, waiting on room service, etc.  Enjoy 

Edited by LMaxwell

12 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Have you experienced the dinner buffet?  There are outdoor tables at the Oceanview Cafe (when/if Celebrity decides to have specialty dining al fresco these would be far and away the most expensive seats in the house with the best views.  They are free currently).  and there's a large assortment of appetizers, charcuterie, side dishes, and desserts you won't find in the MDR.  My suggestion; try it one night and instead of your cabin, just use the outdoor tables.  You'll be next to a bar and there is soft-drink service during dinner time.  I just find the "table" on balconies to be sufficent for 2 cups of coffee, but not for dining.  

Alternative option for your consideration instead of going to a bar here and there, waiting on room service, etc.  Enjoy 

Now that sounds like something we would be very interested in trying.  Thank you.  Actually, we have never considered dinner in the buffet of any ship/cruise line.  Not sure why, but never thought about it.

2 minutes ago, ronmar22 said:

Now that sounds like something we would be very interested in trying.  Thank you.  Actually, we have never considered dinner in the buffet of any ship/cruise line.  Not sure why, but never thought about it.

There will be an equal number or greater than MDR selections; however they may not be the same as the MDR.  It's worth a look.  Most cruise buffets are nice in the evening with drink services and never too crowded.  Some of the chefs really like to show off and put out wonderful specialty items.  The made-to-your-order stir fry station is usually a hit, and there is always various ethnic foods hot and cold.   I just happen to love the aft outdoor tables; and a bar 10 feet away.  Quiet. Beautiful. Not sitting 8 inches from a stranger. Wait until you see the buffet dessert selections and daily changing ice cream bar; you'll never order MDR dessert again.  There are times we've gone to the MDR just for an appetizer or main dish only that we could not get anywhere else and then later in the evening have a proper nice dinner "upstairs".  beautiful to watch the wake with a nice cheese and meat plate and glass of wine outdoors. 

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

(when/if Celebrity decides to have specialty dining al fresco these would be far and away the most expensive seats in the house with the best views

It's called the Lawn Club Grill and The Porch.

4 minutes ago, jwlane said:

It's called the Lawn Club Grill and The Porch.

Beware of wind however...If your itinerary will be in port or overnighting during dinner time that is the best time to book one of those as odds are there SHOULD be less wind to deal with

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Not all ships have that though, unfortunately, and I thought the Porch was not a dinner venue? 

The E class has the Roof Top Grill, just the M Class that doesn't have a outdoor dinner venue.

Just now, jelayne said:

The E class has the Roof Top Grill, just the M Class that doesn't have a outdoor dinner venue.

Not all S-Class either. Either way; variety and new experiences; I think I understood what OP was going for and offering alternative to achieve the same but with potentially better results (larger table, drink service, etc.).  Ocean view restaurants are the best IMO.  Bon Appetit 

35 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Not all S-Class either. Either way; variety and new experiences; I think I understood what OP was going for and offering alternative to achieve the same but with potentially better results (larger table, drink service, etc.).  Ocean view restaurants are the best IMO.  Bon Appetit 

You did offer a very good, yet simple alternative and we will be trying that in October on the Millie.  (like the bar close by too)  Thanks again

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronmar22 said:

You did offer a very good, yet simple alternative and we will be trying that in October on the Millie.  (like the bar close by too)  Thanks again

I agree with LMaxwell.

The tables on the balconies are quite small and low as well. This picture is from a recent review. We did room service breakfast on the older style and still found we were holding our plates in our laps. 

The buffet will occasionally have a local cuisine theme. On one of our Caribbean cruises they had Jamaican theme on that port day. 

• celebrity-millennium.jpg?w=700&h=700&s=1

3 hours ago, amcco said:

The buffet will occasionally have a local cuisine theme. On one of our Caribbean cruises they had Jamaican theme on that port day. 

With the additional space and smaller crowds, the restaurant manager for the buffet was present and very visible. They take great pride in their ethnic dishes and the manager is accessible and wants to engage guests in a way that doesn't happen in the dining room when the MD comes by and waves...

• Like 2