Just got on the Pride and not impressed so far

Eli_6

Also Dover port is experiencing huge delays and massive road queues stretching for hours as usual this time of year.

Amplified by staff shortages and most UK schools breaking up this week.

This Dover delay will be happening until early September so if you have booked the Pride be very wary forgetting to port on the day by road.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Velvetwater said:

Also Dover port is experiencing huge delays and massive road queues stretching for hours as usual this time of year.

Amplified by staff shortages and most UK schools breaking up this week.

This Dover delay will be happening until early September so if you have booked the Pride be very wary forgetting to port on the day by road.

Really good advice about Dover. We also have various rail strikes and closures. Hopefully weather disruption is over for a while. It is not much fun at the moment.

If possible I would try to stay the night before a cruise in a hotel near the port in Dover. Planning flights after the cruise, and thinking what is the earliest time you could get to the airport seems impossible. Unfortunately it might mean another hotel near the airport. 

Edited by stephen@stoneyard.co.uk
  • Like 1

Pretty sure a lot of US cruisers don't want to know about any issues locally.  They just want "their" cruise to be perfect.  What?  You mean Dover isn't a made-for-cruise-ships port?  How dare they!?!?  😜 

With the way things are going with all travel these days, it would seem travelers would do well to set reasonable expectations.

People have posted here many times that Carnival's European sailings usually have a huge number of Plat/Diamond on board, so those perks are pretty useless.  I sailed the Vista inaugural out of Trieste.  Boarding was a nightmare.  Priority boarding non-existent. 

Pride isn't my favorite ship, but I do much prefer the Spirit-class ships to any others in the Carnival fleet.  I'll be on her for 32 days beginning 10/11.  I know she needs some work.  I'll enjoy my trip anyway.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Pretty sure a lot of US cruisers don't want to know about any issues locally.  They just want "their" cruise to be perfect.  What?  You mean Dover isn't a made-for-cruise-ships port?  How dare they!?!?  😜 

With the way things are going with all travel these days, it would seem travelers would do well to set reasonable expectations.

People have posted here many times that Carnival's European sailings usually have a huge number of Plat/Diamond on board, so those perks are pretty useless.  I sailed the Vista inaugural out of Trieste.  Boarding was a nightmare.  Priority boarding non-existent. 

Pride isn't my favorite ship, but I do much prefer the Spirit-class ships to any others in the Carnival fleet.  I'll be on her for 32 days beginning 10/11.  I know she needs some work.  I'll enjoy my trip anyway.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Europe and the U.K. are experiencing food supply issues much as parts of the USA are seeing. Hence no fruit and the like per current news reports.

Makes sense in our “new World order”, I guess the point was/is, it is is out of control of CCL>

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Nice post, we cannot wait to get on her on October for a Greek Isles cruise (think it will be the 8th time on her).

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Day 1 of our UK cruise on the Pride.  We have been having an amazing trip in Europe leading up to this.  We have been here for a week and just boarded.  So far, the cruise part of our trip has been a pretty big let down.  I know Carnival isn't responsible for the problems in Dover, but there us plenty of other things they are responsible for. As we were walking the mile to the port, we were passing departing passengers.  Almost without exception, they were talking about how awful their experience was.  Some of them saying it took 5 hours to get off the boat at one port. One lady said she sat on a bus on a CCL excursion for 6 hours. 

When we finally got there, we were directed to some sort of barn/garage like building that was not a terminal.   They kept us in that hot holding tank (seemed a bit like a garage)  with no chairs for about two hours at the port past when boarding was supposed to have boarded. 

Once boarding started, hours late, it was a mad house. There was basically no priority and just a free for all.  They never even looked at or asked for our negative tests, etc.  One platinum guy almost got in a fight with a suite guest trying to board before him. 

Once on board, things weren't much better. The doors between our connecting rooms were locked and they could not find the key.  So, spending $$$ for a vista suite adjoining to an aft balcony to get the adjoining rooms was pointless.  Can't get sangria because they have no fruit.  Can't get fruit because they have no fruit.  Several other things we always look forward to on Carnival they don't have (like red frog happy hour) because "this is Europe not America."  For the first time EVER I have encountered not only one but several rude staff.  I was screamed at by one of the spa personnel.  The lines at guest services are soooo long so if you have anything to take care if, plan on half your day.  The suites/plat/dia line was longer than the regular one. My kids can't swim because the swimming pools are freezing and the one and only spa open to kids had about 40 adults in it...meanwhile the one at the gym was empty but it is 18 and up.  My Guy's Burger was cold.  My dinner thus far has been cold. And the previous posters discussing the ships condition were not wrong.  

Our cruise in May on the Splendor was fantastic.   So far, this has not been. And it stinks even more when you have flown halfway around the world for this and looked forward to it for 3 years. 

We are on the same cruise but clearly we are in an alternative reality. Boarding was quick and organized and they most definitely checked our Covid cards. The staff has bent over backwards to be helpful and always have a smile on their face.and a pleasant greeting for. Our food has been fine. Yes, the ship is showing her age but nothing to be so upset about. We are enjoying our cruise tremendously. We are both platinum and hadmatginal wait time at the Guest Service desk when we want a question answered.

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, freeholdfriends said:

We are on the same cruise but clearly we are in an alternative reality. Boarding was quick and organized and they most definitely checked our Covid cards. The staff has bent over backwards to be helpful and always have a smile on their face.and a pleasant greeting for. Our food has been fine. Yes, the ship is showing her age but nothing to be so upset about. We are enjoying our cruise tremendously. We are both platinum and hadmatginal wait time at the Guest Service desk when we want a question answered.

Hi @freeholdfriends🙂

If possible, I really hope that you will post updates for us during this particular 9-night voyage. I'm certain many members will want to hear from you.

Please, keep us updated!!

After reading the original post, I definitely want to hear from your reality. Your point of view sounds more coherent & stable. Please come back when you can.

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 7

Things are better today.  Breakfast food was good.  

I do not have hot water in my Vista suite.  It isn't even luke warm.  It was feezing.  Luckily, I could go next door to the other room to shower...only it was luke warm.  Then, halfway through my shower,  it went cold.  I think this may be the problem with the pools.  I do not think the water heaters are working properly.  This is not just an issue of us being unrealistic Americans.  I am not even interested in getting in the pool. It is my kids...and TRUST ME my children are far more immune to cold than any adult.  They went down the water slides on The Splendor in Alaska when it was in the 40s, windy, and raining. The outside pool is cold. NO ONE has been in it when I have been out there.  No one.  Only in the hot tub. 

The cruises before were to Iceland and the Norwegian Fjords so the hot temps in southern England don't really matter because that isn't where the boat has been for the majority of the last 3 weeks.  

But everyone on board (passengers) are very friendly.  And most of the staff is very nice.  So, all-in-all, things seem better today.  I am very much enjoying our room and balcony. 

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I do not have hot water in my Vista suite.  It isn't even luke warm.  It was feezing.  Luckily, I could go next door to the other room to shower...only it was luke warm.  Then, halfway through my shower,  it went cold.

We had intermittent problems with hot water in our cabin when we were on the Pride in May & June. I often used the showers in the spa locker room and there never seemed to be hot water problems in the showers there.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, freeholdfriends said:

We are on the same cruise but clearly we are in an alternative reality. Boarding was quick and organized and they most definitely checked our Covid cards. The staff has bent over backwards to be helpful and always have a smile on their face.and a pleasant greeting for. Our food has been fine. Yes, the ship is showing her age but nothing to be so upset about. We are enjoying our cruise tremendously. We are both platinum and hadmatginal wait time at the Guest Service desk when we want a 

Not sure what to say.  The situation in Dover made national and international news.  It delayed the ship leaving from 4/5 until 10 pm because so many people were delayed and could not board.  There were room keys still on some rooms on my hall this morning so my guess is some people didn't make it at all.  So, this wasn't just in my mind.  If you boarded much later in the day, maybe it didn't affect you. Or maybe you are on btb.  But for those of us with 10-11 check in times, it was absolutely a mess.  

According to port workers and other UK residents we spoke with,  the same thing happened last year with the kids getting out of school in the UK and everyone trying to catch the ferry to France.  And the problems with large trucks backing up has been a repeat problem in Dover. A google search shows this.  So, Carnival should have been aware and set boarding times later or made arrangements rather than having all of us with early board times stuck in an un air-conditioned warehouse sitting on asphalt.  Heck, even an alert that debarking was running behind (like they eventually did do for the later debark time) would have prevented many of us from hiking to the port with bags in tow only to learn they couldn't debark the ship because the busses could not get there to pick up departing passengers.   

We were one of the first on the ship (even before platinum) as suite guests. The first people on board got on board about 12:30-12:45. The first people were waiting at 9:50 for a 10 am board time.  Idk, maybe I am spoiled cruising out of Galveston,  but I have never experienced a nearly 4 hours wait before to board with priority boarding.  Nor have I never been stored in a warehouse before.  And, honestly,  I would not have even cared had there been chairs to sit in... or been allowed in the actual terminal rather than put in a warehouse.  

We were delayed for all three of our flights to and around the UK at least 2 houes each time.  Heck, we were flying out of Edinburgh  the day after The Open and went through Heathrow twice in the past 1.5 weeks.  The delays there are making the news.  This was worse. At least at the airports there were seats to sit in for our delays.  

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

We had intermittent problems with hot water in our cabin when we were on the Pride in May & June. I often used the showers in the spa locker room and there never seemed to be hot water problems in the showers there.  

Thanks for the suggestion.   I will check that out!

• Like 3

So glad to hear this.

I was on the Pride TA in April and had a wonderful time. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Things are better today.  Breakfast food was good.  

I do not have hot water in my Vista suite.  It isn't even luke warm.  It was feezing.  Luckily, I could go next door to the other room to shower...only it was luke warm.  Then, halfway through my shower,  it went cold.  I think this may be the problem with the pools.  I do not think the water heaters are working properly.  This is not just an issue of us being unrealistic Americans.  I am not even interested in getting in the pool. It is my kids...and TRUST ME my children are far more immune to cold than any adult.  They went down the water slides on The Splendor in Alaska when it was in the 40s, windy, and raining. The outside pool is cold. NO ONE has been in it when I have been out there.  No one.  Only in the hot tub. 

The cruises before were to Iceland and the Norwegian Fjords so the hot temps in southern England don't really matter because that isn't where the boat has been for the majority of the last 3 weeks.  

But everyone on board (passengers) are very friendly.  And most of the staff is very nice.  So, all-in-all, things seem better today.  I am very much enjoying our room and balcony. 

Glad to hear things are better today and hope you get some hot water soon.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Thanks for the update.  Sometimes when things start wrong they then snowball.

Was the spa person who yelled a contractor?  Anyway turnaround day is bad for the crew.

Hope it gets better each 

I have no idea. My best guess is maybe he was very stressed with the problems with debark/embarkation. I think that probably carried over and affected my attitude yesterday...and may be true for some of the crew as well. I think a lot of people were very frazzled after all of the problems getting to and on the ship at Dover. 

Everyone has been very nice today, though. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I have no idea. My best guess is maybe he was very stressed with the problems with debark/embarkation. I think that probably carried over and affected my attitude yesterday...and may be true for some of the crew as well. I think a lot of people were very frazzled after all of the problems getting to and on the ship at Dover. 

Glad you're things are better today. As you have probably read from my posts just be prepared for very little communications about the port stops and inconsistencies with food quality.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Thanks for the update.  Sometimes when things start wrong they then snowball.

Was the spa person who yelled a contractor?  Anyway turnaround day is bad for the crew.

Hope it gets better each 

• Like 1

Aren’t the crew wearing masks?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Enjoy your cruise

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MsMidge said:

Yes, the ship is showing her age but nothing to be so upset about.

Sometimes your surroundings can affect you more than you plan, especially when you're on vacation and you want your surroundings to uplift you, not depress you. I had a very negative visceral reaction when I first stepped on the Carnival Splendor and unfortunately it colored my whole Caribbean cruise on that ship. It's such a dated design and I really don't know who thought it was a beautiful design choice to have big pink circles plastered on every wall. I didn't purposely want the Splendor's decor to bother me but it just did. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 3