Jump to content
  • Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Toiletries


Recommended Posts

I asked a similar question about Harmony of the Seas and in a regular room (not a suite) I was told that it is an all in one product (shampoo/conditioner/body wash) in a pump in the shower.  I am not sure how to insert my post here, but it was fairly recent. A few people were very helpful and posted photos/explanations.

 

 

Edited by bayportkat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the Serenade a few weeks ago - a single combo dispenser for all three (although not sure if there really was conditioner in the mix).

 

My DDs absolutely hated it. They used the little samples they had taken. Used them for the first few days then "suffered" through using the ship's mixture for the remainder of the cruise. I, however, did not mind and my DW did not complain, although agreed with my daughters when they brought up their complaint.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely bring your own! The dispenser in the shower has an all-in-one shampoo/body wash that is fine to use as a body wash and maybe okay for men with short hair—though my husband even complained about using it and making his hair a poofy mess. Women or anyone with hair longer than an inch or so will definitely wish they brought their own shampoo and conditioner!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do the suites (2 bedroom GS on Allure) have separate shampoo and conditioner?  We are trying to pack light so we don’t have to check given all of the issue with luggage recently but I can’t survive a week without conditioner. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The infamous "mystery goo" is supposed to be a shampoo/bodywash combo.  

Given that my hair is an entity unto itself, and that I don't use shampoo on it at all, I bring my own conditioner for washing.  

The mystery goo works fine as a bodywash, IMO, and I also use it for handwashing laundry in the sink.  

There are bars of soap provided for the sink.  If you prefer, you could also use a bar of soap in the shower (just ask your stateroom attendant for an extra bar).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, brillohead said:
Given that my hair is an entity unto itself, and that I don't use shampoo on it at all, I bring my own conditioner for washing.  
 

Can we talk about this?  What do you do?  What is your hair washing routine? (I’m genuinely interested. Not trying to start anything. I have an entity on my head, too, and I’ve always shampooed and conditioned. Have to switch shampoos every few years when my hair stops liking the current product.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, monorail81 said:

Can we talk about this?  What do you do?  What is your hair washing routine? (I’m genuinely interested. Not trying to start anything. I have an entity on my head, too, and I’ve always shampooed and conditioned. Have to switch shampoos every few years when my hair stops liking the current product.)


Happy to help!  Shampoo is horribly damaging to hair, and curly hair is already more prone to damage because of the physical properties of the cuticle.  

I wash my hair with diluted conditioner.  I have a "color applicator bottle" (like a squeezy condiment container) and I put about 2oz of conditioner in it, and then about 4-5oz of water from the shower, put the cap back on, and shake it up.  I apply the conditioner solution directly to my dry scalp with the pointy end of the bottle (because that's where the dirt/grease is, on the scalp) and rub it all over to clean my scalp well. 

Then I apply the rest of the solution to my length and brush it through with a Tangle Teezer brand brush (accept no knock-offs -- only Tangle Teezer will do!).  Depending on the conditioner you use (I've been using Suave Essentials Tropical Coconut for over a decade, but it looks like they're discontinuing it, so I'll have to try something different - bummer!), it foams up quite well as you brush it through the length.  I let all that sit on my hair while I take care of the rest of my showerly duties.

After rinsing, I take a small amount of conditioner, rub it across both hands, and apply it to my length as a leave-in conditioner.  After spreading it evenly, I "squeegee" the excess water out with my hands, then bundle it all up in a microfiber turbie towel on top of my head.  After a while I let my hair out to air dry.  No heat, ever -- no hair dryer, no straighteners, no curling irons.

 


Things to note:

You must learn to read every hair product label religiously, and make sure you're not using any products with silicone in them.  Silicone needs shampoo to remove it from the hair, and shampoo is damaging.  Silicone is slipped into many/most haircare products, so pack a magnifying glass before you go to the store, because you need to check the ingredients on every product you might want to use.

If you're currently using products with silicone, you'll need to do one clarifying wash (lather, rinse, lather, rinse) to remove the buildup before starting with CO-washing.

You may need to wash more often at first, as your scalp is probably used to POURING out oil to replace the moisture that is lost when the scalp is stripped by shampoo.  As time goes on, your scalp will scale back its oil production, because the conditioner isn't stripping every last bit of moisture from your scalp each time.  This transition period can last anywhere from 1-6 weeks, it just depends on the individual situation.  

Depending on how long your hair is, it could take years to grow out all the damage from shampooing.  Hair typically grows roughly half an inch per month.  A couple months after I first started CO-washing, I could grab a small section of hair at the scalp, holding it between my thumb and index finger, and drag along towards the end of my hair, and I could literally feel the delineation between the smoother new hair and the older hair that had been subjected to shampoo.  It really made a huge difference in the health and integrity of my hair.

Any questions, just ask!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, brillohead said:

The infamous "mystery goo" is supposed to be a shampoo/bodywash combo.  

Given that my hair is an entity unto itself, and that I don't use shampoo on it at all, I bring my own conditioner for washing.  

The mystery goo works fine as a bodywash, IMO, and I also use it for handwashing laundry in the sink.  

There are bars of soap provided for the sink.  If you prefer, you could also use a bar of soap in the shower (just ask your stateroom attendant for an extra bar).

Same. But I use shampoo, I just use the kid with no sulfates, which means it doesn't suds up. I've been using the Cocomino shampoo and conditioner from Drunk Elephant (you can buy it at Sephora). I also like the smoothing shampoo and conditioner from Morrocanoil. Both are really expensive, but they're so much gentler and less drying on hair. I haven't used anything "off the shelf" (like you can buy at Target or wherever people buy their shampoo) for 30 years. 
 

Being able to use the free shampoo in any hotel or cruise ship is definitely not something I've ever been able to do without my hair turning out like frizzy dry straw. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, brillohead said:


Happy to help!  Shampoo is horribly damaging to hair, and curly hair is already more prone to damage because of the physical properties of the cuticle.  

I wash my hair with diluted conditioner.  I have a "color applicator bottle" (like a squeezy condiment container) and I put about 2oz of conditioner in it, and then about 4-5oz of water from the shower, put the cap back on, and shake it up.  I apply the conditioner solution directly to my dry scalp with the pointy end of the bottle (because that's where the dirt/grease is, on the scalp) and rub it all over to clean my scalp well. 

Then I apply the rest of the solution to my length and brush it through with a Tangle Teezer brand brush (accept no knock-offs -- only Tangle Teezer will do!).  Depending on the conditioner you use (I've been using Suave Essentials Tropical Coconut for over a decade, but it looks like they're discontinuing it, so I'll have to try something different - bummer!), it foams up quite well as you brush it through the length.  I let all that sit on my hair while I take care of the rest of my showerly duties.

After rinsing, I take a small amount of conditioner, rub it across both hands, and apply it to my length as a leave-in conditioner.  After spreading it evenly, I "squeegee" the excess water out with my hands, then bundle it all up in a microfiber turbie towel on top of my head.  After a while I let my hair out to air dry.  No heat, ever -- no hair dryer, no straighteners, no curling irons.

 


Things to note:

You must learn to read every hair product label religiously, and make sure you're not using any products with silicone in them.  Silicone needs shampoo to remove it from the hair, and shampoo is damaging.  Silicone is slipped into many/most haircare products, so pack a magnifying glass before you go to the store, because you need to check the ingredients on every product you might want to use.

If you're currently using products with silicone, you'll need to do one clarifying wash (lather, rinse, lather, rinse) to remove the buildup before starting with CO-washing.

You may need to wash more often at first, as your scalp is probably used to POURING out oil to replace the moisture that is lost when the scalp is stripped by shampoo.  As time goes on, your scalp will scale back its oil production, because the conditioner isn't stripping every last bit of moisture from your scalp each time.  This transition period can last anywhere from 1-6 weeks, it just depends on the individual situation.  

Depending on how long your hair is, it could take years to grow out all the damage from shampooing.  Hair typically grows roughly half an inch per month.  A couple months after I first started CO-washing, I could grab a small section of hair at the scalp, holding it between my thumb and index finger, and drag along towards the end of my hair, and I could literally feel the delineation between the smoother new hair and the older hair that had been subjected to shampoo.  It really made a huge difference in the health and integrity of my hair.

Any questions, just ask!

Awesome explanation!  Thank you for all of that! Much appreciated.  I’m going to check my conditioner now. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...