Good News: Elimination of Pre-Cruise Testing!

travelhound

1 hour ago, Karaboudjan said:

The answer is simple - the great majority of cruises from the US are stopping in Canada or Bermuda who still require tests.

You are absolutely correct.  Unless ships have been redeployed since this schedule was published, NCL only has 2 ships sailing in the Caribbean right now. Nine are sailing in Alaska/Bermuda and 8 in Europe.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26775-norwegian-cruise-line-summer-2022-deployment-breakdown.html

IMO this puts NCL at a disadvantage.  According to travel agent news, RCL bookings for cruises under 6 days skyrocketed with the news of no testing.  And while things can change, Bermuda stated they will keep testing thru March 2023 and they seem pretty strict.

Canada is a bit different. They were quick to make exemptions to allow unvaccinated children to sail so that the cruise season could commence this spring.  I do believe Canada will make changes in their rules to allow cruise ships to sail with no pretesting, the question is..... will it be this year or next? 

• Like 1

I would think that Canada will relax their protocols soon.  If I'm reading the government web site correctly, you no longer need to show a negative test if you are fully vaccinated and entering Canada.  It does use the term "entering by land, air, or water"  which is a little unclear since as  of now cruise ship passengers to Canada still need to provide a negative test.

All we can do is wait and see what happens.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

IMO this puts NCL at a disadvantage.  According to travel agent news, RCL bookings for cruises under 6 days skyrocketed with the news of no testing.  And while things can change, Bermuda stated they will keep testing thru March 2023 and they seem pretty strict.

Weren't they saying that bookings were very strong already?  If so 'skyrocket' seems like it would have to be hyperbole.  Or maybe people who planned to book anyway chose the shorter cruises over longer ones!

As for the disadvantage, I doubt there is anything magical about 5 days or 6 days.  If NCL is ready to drop testing then I think they could make it for <=7 days with little or no additional risk than for 5/6 days.

9 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

Weren't they saying that bookings were very strong already?  If so 'skyrocket' seems like it would have to be hyperbole.  Or maybe people who planned to book anyway chose the shorter cruises over longer ones!

As for the disadvantage, I doubt there is anything magical about 5 days or 6 days.  If NCL is ready to drop testing then I think they could make it for <=7 days with little or no additional risk than for 5/6 days.

My guess is that, like you suggested, people who were going to book longer cruises switched over to the shorter ones. People online were booking back to back 5 day cruises to avoid testing so the shorter length cruises got a nice jump in bookings.

I didn't mean to suggest that NCL was at a disadvantage because of the 5/6 days vs 7. I suggest they are at a disadvantage because when they remove testing a majority of their ships will still be sailing to ports requiring testing so the folks who don't want to test are more likely to select another line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

You are absolutely correct.  Unless ships have been redeployed since this schedule was published, NCL only has 2 ships sailing in the Caribbean right now. Nine are sailing in Alaska/Bermuda and 8 in Europe.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26775-norwegian-cruise-line-summer-2022-deployment-breakdown.html

Canada is a bit different. They were quick to make exemptions to allow unvaccinated children to sail so that the cruise season could commence this spring.  I do believe Canada will make changes in their rules to allow cruise ships to sail with no pretesting, the question is..... will it be this year or next? 

Only one ship currently deployed in Europe will require passengers to be tested, the Jade, because that is the only ship homeporting in Piraeus.

No other European embarkation ports require testing.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Only one ship currently deployed in Europe will require passengers to be tested, the Jade, because that is the only ship homeporting in Piraeus.

No other European embarkation ports require testing.

Correct. Again, the disadvantage I was referencing was when NCL removes the pretesting requirement for sailings from the USA. Currently the vast majority of NCL USA sailings go to Canada or Bermuda. Hence, those who are jumping onboard cruise ships leaving from the USA because the testing has been removed will be more likely to choose another line. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Correct. Again, the disadvantage I was referencing was when NCL removes the pretesting requirement for sailings from the USA. Currently the vast majority of NCL USA sailings go to Canada or Bermuda. Hence, those who are jumping onboard cruise ships leaving from the USA because the testing has been removed will be more likely to choose another line. 

The Canada and Bermuda seasons wind down in autumn. You're already past final payment due date for August, September and October cruises under 7 days in length. There would be substantial penalties for anyone currently booked to cancel, so it wouldn't make sense for any of those passengers to change their bookings.

Testing is cheap and easy with the proctored home antigen tests from eMed and others so I just don't see it as that big a deal, and there are going to be passengers who prefer to take a cruise where everyone is tested, even recognizing the imperfections of that system.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

The Canada and Bermuda seasons wind down in autumn. You're already past final payment due date for August, September and October cruises under 7 days in length. There would be substantial penalties for anyone currently booked to cancel, so it wouldn't make sense for any of those passengers to change their bookings.

Testing is cheap and easy with the proctored home antigen tests from eMed and others so I just don't see it as that big a deal, and there are going to be passengers who prefer to take a cruise where everyone is tested, even recognizing the imperfections of that system.

We aren't speaking the same language :-).

Not sure how I can make it more clear, but I never suggested people would cancel a sailing past final payment to switch to a sailing that doesn't require pretesting.

By all accounts, there appears to be a large number of people who will ONLY book if testing is removed. Cruise lines that offer the most opportunities to sail from the USA without testing clearly have an advantage. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

You have to wonder, though - if the Caribbean is lucrative at this time of year why doesn't NCL have more ships there?  RCL and CCL are big enough that they probably can't have all of their ships in Alaska/New England/Bermuda and need something else to do with them.  Getting more low-yield bookings might not be that much of an advantage.

2 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

You have to wonder, though - if the Caribbean is lucrative at this time of year why doesn't NCL have more ships there?  RCL and CCL are big enough that they probably can't have all of their ships in Alaska/New England/Bermuda and need something else to do with them.  Getting more low-yield bookings might not be that much of an advantage.

IMO Bodies onboard is an advantage. 

36 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The Canada and Bermuda seasons wind down in autumn. You're already past final payment due date for August, September and October cruises under 7 days in length.

Many of those sailings have been dropping prices because they have a lot of empty rooms.  Final payment is only due 120 days out for advance reservations.  If you book a month before the cruise, that's when final payment is due.

22 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

if the Caribbean is lucrative at this time of year why doesn't NCL have more ships there?

Hurricane season?

I'm on Spirit out of Seattle Sept 21 and will be in town a few days ahead of time. I was hoping to test locally on the chance the requirement is dropped....

Looks like remote proctored antigen testing through NCL partner Inspire is a better deal ($49) than trying to do it locally.  Seems if you do a "pre-travel" test you're going to be ripped off, I've seen $129 all the way up to mid-$200s for clinics in Seattle.

Anyone have good/bad experience with Inspire?

4 hours ago, goldmom said:

I would think that Canada will relax their protocols soon.  If I'm reading the government web site correctly, you no longer need to show a negative test if you are fully vaccinated and entering Canada.  It does use the term "entering by land, air, or water"  which is a little unclear since as  of now cruise ship passengers to Canada still need to provide a negative test.

All we can do is wait and see what happens.

Not true. You still must have a test, even if vaccinated. 2 days out for an antigen test. 3 days out for a PCR test.

Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing

All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise.

Proof of a professionally administered or observed negative antigen test taken no more than 2 days before you’re scheduled to board your ship

• the 2-day window does not depend on the time of day the test was taken or the time that you board.

Proof of a valid negative molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled boarding time

• for example, if you’re scheduled to board at 11:00 am on Friday, your test must have been taken any time after 10:59 am on Tuesday.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, greg_atlanta said:

I'm on Spirit out of Seattle Sept 21 and will be in town a few days ahead of time. I was hoping to test locally on the chance the requirement is dropped....

Looks like remote proctored antigen testing through NCL partner Inspire is a better deal ($49) than trying to do it locally.  Seems if you do a "pre-travel" test you're going to be ripped off, I've seen $129 all the way up to mid-$200s for clinics in Seattle.

Anyone have good/bad experience with Inspire?

They did fine for us for our Spirit cruise in June 

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Many of those sailings have been dropping prices because they have a lot of empty rooms.

Have they? NYC-Bermuda is a go-to vacation itinerary for us (just look at my signature 🤣) and I have never seen prices as high as they were this summer. 

Prices have steadily gone up as sail dates approached, so that indicates (to me) that they’re having no issues filling the ships to whatever their capacity cap is at the moment. 

After Labor Day, that changes—prices are much more affordable. But that’s when school is back in session. 

Our next cruise starts over Labor Day weekend. I’ll be very interested to see how full it is. 

What about the Pride of America sailing from Hawaii?

Embarkation, debarkation and all ports are United States. 
What do you think they might do about pre covid testing for 

these sailings?  Any thoughts?

I just read yesterday that Virgin Voyages is removing the pre-testing requirement, because the CDC ended their cruise ship guidance program last week.  It also states that effective August 8th Royal Caribbean will remove pre-testing for cruises of 6 nights or less.  It went on to say that 30-45 days after that they expect to remove the pre-testing requirement from all voyages.

I would expect that Carnival is going to jump onboard with that, and I think NCL will join them at that point.  No pre-testing requirement will be seen as a strategic advantage, and as we have seen time after time, once one line does something, they all seem to fall in line.  Ju

Hoping NCL removes the requirement by my October 15th Prima cruise!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, vince_g said:

I would expect that Carnival is going to jump onboard with that, and I think NCL will join them at that point. 

Carnival has already followed Royal Caribbean and eliminated testing for short cruises for those who are vaccinated.  They made their announcement the day after Royal, I believe.  Carnival's change is effective August 4.

On 7/27/2022 at 7:07 PM, BirdTravels said:

How horrible. Let's hope that NCL never removes pre-cruise testing. 

I just hope our test results arrive in time. If not, then I guess we'll be cruiseless this time. I wonder if the insurance will refund some of the thousands I've paid.

I made this reservation months ago because it is a family reunion and the timing had to fit everybody's schedules. I believe some of them can still make the cruise. I'm having my doubts whether I and my husband will get our results in time. We may just have to stand on the dock and wave good-bye to the rest of the family.

28 minutes ago, IMNOFUN said:

I just hope our test results arrive in time. If not, then I guess we'll be cruiseless this time. I wonder if the insurance will refund some of the thousands I've paid.

I made this reservation months ago because it is a family reunion and the timing had to fit everybody's schedules. I believe some of them can still make the cruise. I'm having my doubts whether I and my husband will get our results in time. We may just have to stand on the dock and wave good-bye to the rest of the family.

Results take 15 minutes????

54 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Can't you just pay to be tested at the port?

That would be fine with me, but I have no found a reliable option for this method. I'm going by NCL's instructions where they point you to their preferred testing partner. Since we're from various parts of the country, we can't do a "mass" test. Since the test has to be proctored, we have to ensure we get the proper certification....and and and. I went with the method I thought would be most reliable. It's the lab my doctors use and they take reservations for the testing, make sure you have the right test type, collect the samples and then...hopefully they send us our reports. 5 simple steps my foot! The following is direct copy from NCL.

Book Your Pre-Cruise Testing Appointment Now

Cruise safely and care-free with Norwegian Cruise Line and Inspire Diagnostics in 5 simple steps:

• Step 1. Register to purchase and schedule the test for your group.
  • Step 2. Provide mailing information where test kits will be shipped.
  • Step 3. Choose your test kit(s). (Antigen Test Kit: $45 USD, PCR Test Kit: $95 USD).
  • Step 4. Review your order and complete purchase.
  • Step 5. Receive your email confirmation and register your entire party using https://www.inspiretesting.com/org/TRAVEL/

1 hour ago, IMNOFUN said:

That would be fine with me, but I have no found a reliable option for this method. I'm going by NCL's instructions where they point you to their preferred testing partner. Since we're from various parts of the country, we can't do a "mass" test. Since the test has to be proctored, we have to ensure we get the proper certification....and and and. I went with the method I thought would be most reliable. It's the lab my doctors use and they take reservations for the testing, make sure you have the right test type, collect the samples and then...hopefully they send us our reports. 5 simple steps my foot! The following is direct copy from NCL.

Cruise safely and care-free with Norwegian Cruise Line and Inspire Diagnostics in 5 simple steps:

• Step 3. Choose your test kit(s). (Antigen Test Kit: $45 USD, PCR Test Kit: $95 USD).
  • Step 5. Receive your email confirmation and register your entire party using https://www.inspiretesting.com/org/TRAVEL/

Walgreens? CVS? Any pharmacy that offers a certification? Where are you leaving from? If Manhattan, any street corner...probably grocery stores in your area (I know Hannaford, Wegmans, Tops in NY offer them).

Take a breath, relax, and search the internet. Your group will be alright.

3 hours ago, IMNOFUN said:

• Step 5. Receive your email confirmation and register your entire party using https://www.inspiretesting.com/org/TRAVEL

NCL has testing at Seattle for a fee.