Tipping for the Diamond Drinks loaded on your card

Side note-  in the pub on Oasis earlier in July, I notice that the bartenders were pooling their tips in the same jar.  Seemed to negate the "special service" feel most tip for, but to each their own.  I tipped the same regardless- if they want to share, then who am I to argue.

17 minutes ago, scottnkim said:

Side note-  in the pub on Oasis earlier in July, I notice that the bartenders were pooling their tips in the same jar.  Seemed to negate the "special service" feel most tip for, but to each their own.  I tipped the same regardless- if they want to share, then who am I to argue.

While talking to our server at Jamies she noted that all the wait staff pool the extra tips in that restaurant also. One reason they all help each other out. I do think tipping helps, on our second visit to Jamies I was able to get the Tenderloin for two just for myself.  Hopefully I am remembering the right Specialty we were at.

Edited by taglovestocruise

$1 per drink.  Sometimes the last day/night we give extra to our regular bartenders.   I always present my card and tip at the same time.  Sometimes I see them put it in their pocket and sometimes in the tip jar.  

We take at least 50-100 in ones and save the leftovers for the next cruise.

Edited by cruiselvr04

Do you have to sign a receipt after your included drinks for the day or they just charge them to your seacard with the 18 percent already added? Sorry, first time not getting the drink package on Allure end of this month.

9 minutes ago, coaster said:

Do you have to sign a receipt after your included drinks for the day or they just charge them to your seacard with the 18 percent already added? Sorry, first time not getting the drink package on Allure end of this month.

There is nothing charged for the Diamond Voucher drinks, so there is no receipt to sign, and there is no 18% added, because 18% of zero is still NOTHING.  

You hand them the card and say you want to use a Diamond Voucher, and they bring you a drink and your card back.  

Those of us who want to tip for the FREE drinks tip in cash. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, coaster said:

I was actually asking about the ones you buy after using up your free ones.

It's just like anything else you buy on board -- they bring a receipt with the 18% already included.  You can add extra if you want, or you can tip extra in cash.  

4 hours ago, davekathy said:

You think. 🤣Maybe those people tip when you are not not looking. :classic_rolleyes:

Not exactly.  I see people coming in late at night giving the bartender both seapasses to pick up the 3-4 drinks remaining.  If you are sitting right next to them, you can see the obvious.  Maybe they make up for it the following night, but who knows, and I just don't care.  Just an observation.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Who knows, and I just don't care.  Just an observation.

I think you're on to something, the world would be a much better place if everyone just minded their own business.

Edited by footzz
  • Like 1

My drink of choice is Woodford or other bourbon over ice.  We are D+ so my drinks are vouchered.  I generally get my drinks from one or two bars aboard ship. I generally tip between 3 to 5 dollars per drink.  I've noticed after my first couple of tips the pour seems to be improved on my drinks.  I have never figured out why.

Bill

52 minutes ago, Ky Bill said:

My drink of choice is Woodford or other bourbon over ice.  We are D+ so my drinks are vouchered.  I generally get my drinks from one or two bars aboard ship. I generally tip between 3 to 5 dollars per drink.  I've noticed after my first couple of tips the pour seems to be improved on my drinks.  I have never figured out why.

Bill

Exactly.  If you order a drink in the DL, it is poured behind closed doors.  You're going to get the "stock" pour.  

We were on a sailing where they rotated bartenders during Happy Hour.  We met one couple we chatted with who followed one bartender from venue to venue, because he gave great pours.  If you are drinking booze, it makes a difference.  If you are just drinking beer, not so much.  LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wineaux007 said:

Not exactly.  I see people coming in late at night giving the bartender both seapasses to pick up the 3-4 drinks remaining.  If you are sitting right next to them, you can see the obvious.  Maybe they make up for it the following night, but who knows, and I just don't care.  Just an observation.

Come on man, you care. 😂  We always sit next to or across from others in the DL or other bars. Looking to see who or how someone tips is never on my mind or my business or concern. :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Come on man, you care. 😂  We always sit next to or across from others in the DL or other bars. Looking to see who or how someone tips is never on my mind or my business or concern. :classic_rolleyes:

Really?  You must live in a bubble.  You don't have to look for it -- it just slaps you up the side of the face.  😉

I agree, it's not my business or concern, but one can't help but notice.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Really?  You must live in a bubble.  You don't have to look for it -- it just slaps you up the side of the face.  😉

I agree, it's not my business or concern, but one can't help but notice.

Not bubble people. If you weren't so nosy you wouldn't get slapped up the side of your face. 🤣

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 4:54 PM, emeraldcity said:

I've been giving the server a dollar for the drinks that are loaded on my card, but is that enough? 

Mainly, I'm confused about whether servers receive any compensation for those D and D+ drinks. If they don't and it's a $10 drink, then my dollar is only a 10% tip and I need to up my game.

And I'm sure this topic has been covered, but I tried several searches, and apparently my searching skills are deficient.

I tip $22.80 per drink because they deserve it

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ky Bill said:

Bill

"Both"  and say "$5" per drink over a 7 night cruise, that would be $350 tips just for drinks?

Edited by Glock

On 7/29/2022 at 11:21 AM, Seville2Cabo said:

I understand that and I guess on a ship that is porting in a "euro" country, the crew could spend the coins in port - but would not be able to exchange them.  In Mexico we see people giving tips in US quarters.  Nothing they can do with them - just trash or find someone like me willing to exchange for Pesos and bring the quarters back to the US

As I am from Canada. One cruise was west coast, all mexico. So I got pesos. ( Better exchange then USD at the time). I tipped the Mexican cliff diver with pesos and got a dirty look. I played dump and said " sorry, I am from Canada and Do not have usd. Wait till I get home and argue with my bank that they gave me the wrong currency for your country".

He took it. I understand they prefer usd. But to look down on the currency of their own country. 

Seriously