Does Celebrity ever add additional groups to sold out excursions?

zitsky

OK so I'm a dummy and I waited too long to book excursions.  Last tour was a while ago and I didn't have too much trouble.  Some days I've found something.  Other days it's tough to find anything.  I'm checking X.com, toursbylocals, and Viator.  Viator tours don't seem to want to pick up at the pier.

Wondering if Celebrity ever adds groups/spots to tours that are full?

We are traveling with friends but I don't want to drag this out.  I think they are OK if we say, we're doing tour X and they are doing tour Y.

I would suggest you check the ports Forum for the ports where you are looking for excursions. 

Tours by Locals almost always requires you to exit the secure port area.  This distance varies with shuttles often provided to either town or to the port entrance.

Shore excursions are in a constant state of change today with additions and deletions.  There are always cancellations on shore excursions.  Get on a waiting list.

Since the OP has not specified where, it’s hard to give advice about excursions in the ports that Celebrity visits.

A general rule of thumb however is that the Shore Excursions are offered, not by Celebrity,  but by local vendors who may or may not have the personnel and vehicles available to add extra groups.

4 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Since the OP has not specified where, it’s hard to give advice about excursions in the ports that Celebrity visits.

A general rule of thumb however is that the Shore Excursions are offered, not by Celebrity,  but by local vendors who may or may not have the personnel and vehicles available to add extra groups.

If I post on the ports forum I certainly will post my entire itinerary.  This was meant as a general question.

September 26, 2022

Italy, Greece, Turkey

Starts and ends at Civitivechia.

Edited by zitsky

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

OK so I'm a dummy and I waited too long to book excursions.  Last tour was a while ago and I didn't have too much trouble.  Some days I've found something.  Other days it's tough to find anything.  I'm checking X.com, toursbylocals, and Viator.  Viator tours don't seem to want to pick up at the pier.

We are traveling with friends but I don't want to drag this out.  I think they are OK if we say, we're doing tour X and they are doing tour Y.

Pre-Covid it was my experience that they do not really sell-out an excursion prior to the cruise.  In the past, they would hold back some spots on the excursions to book on-board the ship.  I would go directly to the shore excursion desk after you board and try to book the excursion.  You may find some openings.

On some of the cruises that I've been on they were able to put on additional busses to existing tours when the vendors had  availability    Recently I haven't noticed their ability to add additional  capacity.    

If you want a specific tour it is best to stop by the Excursion Desk and ask to be put on a wait list.    Cancellation is permitted within 24 hours and last minute availability often pop up. 

I ran into the problem of lack of excursion availability for Alaska sailing in 3 weeks. I went to Trip Advisor and found what I needed and saw many that were identical to what Celebrity offered. Some were sold out, but the one I needed was not.

11 hours ago, techteach said:

I ran into the problem of lack of excursion availability for Alaska sailing in 3 weeks. I went to Trip Advisor and found what I needed and saw many that were identical to what Celebrity offered. Some were sold out, but the one I needed was not.

I have something that I have booked through Celebrity (last November for this September so we didn't miss out) that doesn't show on the planner as existing any more, however they haven't sent me a message to say it doesn't.  The option that replaced it and is slightly different, and cheaper (of course), has sold out but wasn't when I sent an email to shore excursions asking did my first one still exist, which they still haven't answered.   I will be very annoyed if we don't get to do a close up tour of the glacier after all.

12 hours ago, zitsky said:

Thanks for the replies.  I’m on Trip Advisor and will check that.

The tour operators are often the same except booking outside Celebrity will usually create a pickup and dropoff point outside the port area.

Have almost always found that people cancel both pre and during a cruise.  Get on the wait list is the best answer except for possibly a private excursion organized on Cruise Critic  .

16 hours ago, zitsky said:

It is a general procedure that the private tours meet you away from the pier.  They are now allowed to meet individuals as they immediately depart the ship.  We often book private tours and with the reservation, we are given directions as where to meet up.  As mentioned, it is in Celebrity's best interest $$$ to sell as many tour tickets as possible.  On a couple of tours, that has not been pleasant for the tour operator or those on the tour. 

There are some that sell out quickly.  What comes to  mind are helicopter tours and encounters with dolphins as examples.

45 minutes ago, keesar said:

It is a general procedure that the private tours meet you away from the pier.  They are now allowed to meet individuals as they immediately depart the ship.  We often book private tours and with the reservation, we are given directions as where to meet up.  As mentioned, it is in Celebrity's best interest $$$ to sell as many tour tickets as possible.  On a couple of tours, that has not been pleasant for the tour operator or those on the tour. 

There are some that sell out quickly.  What comes to  mind are helicopter tours and encounters with dolphins as examples.

Did you mean they are NOT allowed instead they are NOW allowed?

13 hours ago, Suzi66 said:

I have something that I have booked through Celebrity (last November for this September so we didn't miss out) that doesn't show on the planner as existing any more, however they haven't sent me a message to say it doesn't.  The option that replaced it and is slightly different, and cheaper (of course), has sold out but wasn't when I sent an email to shore excursions asking did my first one still exist, which they still haven't answered.   I will be very annoyed if we don't get to do a close up tour of the glacier after all.

Check your order history.  It will either show booked or a refund.

4 hours ago, LeeW said:

Check your order history.  It will either show booked or a refund.

Order history still has it as booked.  It is just that the tour doesn't exist in possible excursions for the cruise that makes me worry .  I'm hoping they have moved us to the other one.

We have been on cruises where we (or our son) has been told something (we have tried to book last minute) has been sold out only to find that they have managed to accommodate us. I would add we usually cruise RS or PH so that may make a difference in putting us nearer the top of a waitlist…

As a general rule of thumb I would suggest that helicopter trips, sea planes, boat trips probably do sell out and the only way to get one last minute is if someone else drops out. However, coach tours etc, I would think that as soon as enough interest is registered on a waitlist they will try to add an additional coach.

If you are unable to pre book, as someone else suggested, head for the excursion desk on boarding.

If you list your ports people may be able to recommend things to do either walking or a short taxi ride away…It is amazing how sometimes there are local museums, churches, shops, restaurants etc that are worth visiting in their own right but often get missed as everyone heads to the coaches…

Hope you manage to get sorted…

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 9:11 AM, Itchyaussie said:

Thank you Barb, were from Australia

On 7/29/2022 at 1:12 PM, Suzi66 said:

If we are wanting to book ahead, Can you book these online with celebrity or do you have to phone ? 

2 minutes ago, Weelynn said:

If we are wanting to book ahead, Can you book these online with celebrity or do you have to phone ? 

Excursions can normally be booked thru the website or app.  Is that what you were asking?

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Excursions can normally be booked thru the website or app.  Is that what you were asking?

Yes thanks. I have the app but when I go into my saved cruises I get a pop up basically saying it’s too early lol. I thought it would be the same on the website. Thanks I’ll try it 😊

16 minutes ago, Weelynn said:

Yes thanks. I have the app but when I go into my saved cruises I get a pop up basically saying it’s too early lol. I thought it would be the same on the website. Thanks I’ll try it 😊

Hmmm tried this and had no problem getting into my account with cruises showing. However there was only excursions in Rome Sicily and Greece! None for Jordan, or Abu Dhabi or Dubai. Would this mean they are sold out? 

45 minutes ago, Weelynn said:

Hmmm tried this and had no problem getting into my account with cruises showing. However there was only excursions in Rome Sicily and Greece! None for Jordan, or Abu Dhabi or Dubai. Would this mean they are sold out? 

Sorry when is the cruise exactly?  Are you trying to schedule something for next year?  

I just booked an excursion for a December 2023 cruise but not everything is available.  And restaurants are NOT available.  I only booked what I did because it looked interesting.

On 7/28/2022 at 4:07 PM, zitsky said:

Possibly.  You can ask to be added to a waitlist.  Sometimes people cancel.  If you are on a waitlist, and space opens, they start contacting people on the list.  If you are in a suite - there is a good possibility.  Ask the Retreat concierge, and they may be able to get you in.  You can call now or when onboard.  

17 hours ago, Weelynn said:

I have a cruise this coming January in the South Pacific and as it still hasn't opened for tourism yet fully, no excursions are listed for half of the ports.  Your cruise could be the same.  If they were sold out, a label saying so is put on the name of the excursion.  For our September cruise in Alaska I know that probably close to 5/6ths of the excursions are already sold out that way.