Why I am so stressed about testing!

45 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Use one if the at home tests the government sent and log onto Rapidtestandtrace.com. It is proctored, costs $20/pp, and you have the results in 30 min.  

This is the company that we used for our cruise to Alaska.  I can't say enough about how professional they were.  From the start of the process, they walked us through,  stayed on the line with us until the results came through and we had our email with the results in less than 2 minutes!  Spend the $20.00 for each appointment, use your government issued at home tests and get tested while you are at home! 

For those traveling from another country, you can still use this company.  My brother used the company in Vancouver prior to the cruse and everything went off without a hitch!

Good luck (sorry that so many people did not take your problem seriously.  It is stressful)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

yes, we tested at Walgreens and then at the terminal. If in doubt, test them with the home antigen test starting 4 days out... Chances of a neg PCR test 2-3 days before the cruise and a positive antigen test at the terminal are low.

RCL said not allowed... Test must be within 48????

11 hours ago, jp2746 said:

I am concerned too.  My son was at his friends house for the entire day and his friend tested positive the next day.  This was over a week ago and my son has no symptoms. I think it is because we had it in June but didn’t test because we just thought we had a cold. So my concern is that he will either test positive because of the exposure or test positive because we had it in June. We are going to test before the zoom meeting to just stop worrying. We are using the free tests sent by the government and we have ten of them. So we will burn a couple for the peace of mind. Or to plan on canceling. 

You could have avoided this simply by testing though back in June and you can test within 5-10+ days after the exposure.

If you have health insurance you can also claim free tests monthly up to 8 of them if I am not mistaken so using a couple here or there isn't that big of a deal especially if you have any symptoms even if you think you have a cold.

Then if you tested positive call up your doctor and ask how they want to handle it so you can get a certificate of recovery as you will be going on a cruise in X days.

2 minutes ago, Project-College said:

Correct. They will look at the date, the result, and your name.

If today is the 29th, the test will be accepted on the 27th and the 28th - but not the 26th.  

38 minutes ago, pk1959 said:

We are right there with you on the stress level!  Sailing out of Seattle for a Alaskan cruise in August and we live in Michigan.  There are 5 of us going, and have three staterooms booked.  DH and I are paying for everything as a treat for our kids, so that will include the pre cruise testing that is still in place.  Since our cruise has a stop in Canada, even if Royal Caribbean stopped the testing requirement, I think we would have still had to do it for Canada.  Could care less about even getting off the ship in the 5 hours we are in Canada. 

What I am planning on doing is taking 15 of the free government home tests with me and we will all take a pre-test of sorts before I schedule all the proctored tests.  That way if one of us tests positive on the pre-tests I would only schedule that person for a proctored test and see what happens.  It would save the $80 in the other proctored tests, since I think that we would all have to cancel the cruise since it would be a close contact situation.  What a stressful mess.  We would all then be stuck in Seattle for a week trying to figure out something to do before our flight back home in 7 days.  This is our 20th cruise and these requirements are definitely sucking the joy out of our anticipation. 

Test everyone before flying to Seattle, no sense getting on the plane if you have someone positive.  We flew into Seattle on a Saturday and sailed on Monday, so we had to test in Seattle for the two day timeframe.  The proctored test from the hotel worked fine.  Make sure you do the ArriveCan for everyone, even if you do not plan on getting off in Victoria it is still required.

As far as being stuck in Seattle because of covid, I tested positive and had to quarantine on the ship and then finish my time in a hotel in Seattle prior to flying home.  You do not need to isolate for 7 days, CDC requires a 5 day isolation followed by 5 days of masking.  The cruise line currently will pay $250/day towards a hotel room and $100/day towards food.  This is per person, not per family, so it really helps with the cost.  You submit receipts to the cruise line and they reimburse you.  The cruise line arranges transfers from the ship to the hotel but you have to find a hotel.  I stayed at a Marriott at the airport that had a 24 hour free shuttle to the airport and also had very good room service.  Some hotels in the area have not started room service back up since covid, so call the hotel directly to check before booking.  I know the Embassy near the airport wasn't doing room service in May when I was sick.

3 minutes ago, Project-College said:

They are saying to test the kids before you leave home just to see if they have COVID. If they are negative they likely will be negative when they get the actual test that Royal is going to accept a couple days later.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

I was hoping and praying that the testing requirement would be over by now (we sail in 4 weeks). People on this board act like, “What’s the problem with getting tested?  Easy peasy!”

Here’s our situation:

We drive to PC, so on a Sunday cruise, we drive down on Saturday.  That leaves Friday for testing.

We keep two toddler grandchildren

Can anyone help me feel less stressed?

I'm coming into this thread after many replies, but will read them.  How old are these kids and are they vaccinated?   I basically stayed home for 2 years, didn't have a cold, and after waiting 30 months to cruise again I was stressed til we got our test back, but I didn't know the half of it.  Back in May un vaccinated children were tested at the port.   A guy was communicating with on our cruise had a 3 year old test positive at the port. Took them 4 hours to get their luggage back and on their way home. To me that would be have been the ultimate stress! Good luck to you.

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Test everyone before flying to Seattle, no sense getting on the plane if you have someone positive.  We flew into Seattle on a Saturday and sailed on Monday, so we had to test in Seattle for the two day timeframe.  The proctored test from the hotel worked fine.  Make sure you do the ArriveCan for everyone, even if you do not plan on getting off in Victoria it is still required.

As far as being stuck in Seattle because of covid, I tested positive and had to quarantine on the ship and then finish my time in a hotel in Seattle prior to flying home.  You do not need to isolate for 7 days, CDC requires a 5 day isolation followed by 5 days of masking.  The cruise line currently will pay $250/day towards a hotel room and $100/day towards food.  This is per person, not per family, so it really helps with the cost.  You submit receipts to the cruise line and they reimburse you.  The cruise line arranges transfers from the ship to the hotel but you have to find a hotel.  I stayed at a Marriott at the airport that had a 24 hour free shuttle to the airport and also had very good room service.  Some hotels in the area have not started room service back up since covid, so call the hotel directly to check before booking.  I know the Embassy near the airport wasn't doing room service in May when I was sick.

Thanks for the helpful information.  The problem for us is that we are flying in several days early to be sure we are there since all the airlines are playing around with delays and cancellations so much, so testing before we leave home would not really be helpful.  So the plan is to test in Washington, and then if we have to cancel the cruise, just try to find something else to do for the 7 days.  We have been to Seattle many times before and there is really nothing that we would want to see again.  

1 minute ago, pk1959 said:

Thanks for the helpful information.  The problem for us is that we are flying in several days early to be sure we are there since all the airlines are playing around with delays and cancellations so much, so testing before we leave home would not really be helpful.  So the plan is to test in Washington, and then if we have to cancel the cruise, just try to find something else to do for the 7 days.  We have been to Seattle many times before and there is really nothing that we would want to see again.  

We tested at home before the flight because we didn't want to go all the way across the country if we weren't going to be able to cruise.  We were in Seattle early too, so we then had to test two days prior to the cruise to meet the cruise's testing requirement.  

If you test positive in Seattle, I am not sure what else you can find to do as you are supposed to isolate.  I know I was too sick to do anything but others have minor or no symptoms.  

Good luck with whatever you decide.  🙂 

• Like 1

@handbellplayer  I think you are the person that I promised to follow-up with regarding how my testing with Rapid Test and Trace went.  

DH and I did ours this morning, and yeah, we are negative! I am so relieved that this part of the trip is OVER (until September - hopefully testing will be done by then!?!).

Here you go:

I paid $20 each and then received an email from them with a link to schedule.  I picked from many different dates/times offered and received a confirmation letter with the name of the proctor performing the test.  Had DH do the same. A week later, after I better understood the 2 day window, I re-scheduled it for a day earlier. I did this using their website and was amazed how easy it was, received a quick response with the new date and new proctor.  Then they emailed one day before and then again about a half hour before to remind us of our upcoming test. Make sure you select the correct time zone when scheduling.

We didn't have to download any software (they used MSteams but you can click to attend the meeting as a guest, which we did). I practiced logging in two days before just to make sure I could get in. You'll need to give the app permission to access your microphone and camera if you haven't already.

DH and I scheduled ours 15 minutes apart and the proctor recognized the similar names and offered to do our testing together and so we did. Yes, we were stressed during the test and DH slipped some cusses out, I put the drops in the wrong place at first, etc., but we got through it. And she emailed our Negative reports to us and had us verify the reports with her while we were on the phone with her.

So yes, I would recommend Rapid Test and Trace. I can't wait until we no longer have to test, but until then, this company was very organized and thorough. And I am very, very, very - did I say very? -  relieved that we tested Negative so we get to proceed with planning to cruise in 2 days!

I hope you and others find this information helpful.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Jaynay said:

@handbellplayer  I think you are the person that I promised to follow-up with regarding how my testing with Rapid Test and Trace went.  

DH and I did ours this morning, and yeah, we are negative! I am so relieved that this part of the trip is OVER (until September - hopefully testing will be done by then!?!).

Here you go:

I paid $20 each and then received an email from them with a link to schedule.  I picked from many different dates/times offered and received a confirmation letter with the name of the proctor performing the test.  Had DH do the same. A week later, after I better understood the 2 day window, I re-scheduled it for a day earlier. I did this using their website and was amazed how easy it was, received a quick response with the new date and new proctor.  Then they emailed one day before and then again about a half hour before to remind us of our upcoming test. Make sure you select the correct time zone when scheduling.

We didn't have to download any software (they used MSteams but you can click to attend the meeting as a guest, which we did). I practiced logging in two days before just to make sure I could get in. You'll need to give the app permission to access your microphone and camera if you haven't already.

DH and I scheduled ours 15 minutes apart and the proctor recognized the similar names and offered to do our testing together and so we did. Yes, we were stressed during the test and DH slipped some cusses out, I put the drops in the wrong place at first, etc., but we got through it. And she emailed our Negative reports to us and had us verify the reports with her while we were on the phone with her.

So yes, I would recommend Rapid Test and Trace. I can't wait until we no longer have to test, but until then, this company was very organized and thorough. And I am very, very, very - did I say very? -  relieved that we tested Negative so we get to proceed with planning to cruise in 2 days!

Thank you SO much!  Very helpful!

1 hour ago, Project-College said:

for unvaxxed kids? 

Before arriving on boarding day, you'll need to take a COVID-19 test on your own, at your own expense.

• Vaccinated guests must show a negative test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding day. NOTE: Kids age 11 and younger who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the testing protocols for vaccinated guests.
  • Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test (not antigen) taken no more than 3 days before boarding day.

1 hour ago, BillOh said:

How old are these kids and are they vaccinated?   I basically stayed home for 2 years, didn't have a cold, and after waiting 30 months to cruise again I was stressed til we got our test back, but I didn't know the half of it.  Back in May un vaccinated children were tested at the port. 

I am not sure the kids are actually traveling with OP. OP stated that they were stressed because they didn't have time to test because they keep their grandkids on Thursdays and Fridays....

UNvaxxed kids get tested before the cruise and at the terminal, and then one more time before the cruise end.

17 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

Wow - thanks for the helpful responses! 

I have heard of problems with the eMed tests, too.  If I order two tests, what if one doesn't work?  Should I order more? Thanks to those who are sympathetic.  I know I come across as a nut, but I have been confidently cruising for many years....before COVID.

I understand completely. Until you finally get done with it, it is very stressful. 

3 hours ago, mkrr1123 said:

I just scheduled ours for rapid test and trace online and they have the option for overseas people.  I have a multitude of government tests and our libraries give them out for free so you could try to go to the NY public library and ask for tests.  You can also see if your government tests are accepted as well.  If you are stuck in NY I have many suggestions for you outside of the city.  I live in Western NY and there is a ton of stuff to do here in the great state of NY. 

Thanks so much for your advice!  You are so lucky to live near the greatest city on earth!

3 hours ago, kelbob said:

Hi, I’m from the UK and I’ll be sailing from Barcelona next month. We’re going to use a company called Dochq. They’re based in the UK and they do a supervised test online. We have used them before and they were great. I was chatting to them online the other day to see if we can use them when we’re in Spain (we’ll be there a few days before the cruise). You can use them anywhere in the world. They issue a certificate whilst you’re online with them. I highly recommend them. 

HI Kelly - thanks for your response!  I think you replied to me on twitter too.... 🙂  I will deffo check Dochq out.  I would rather have the tests with me before i travel and just be ready to test when required in NYC.  Thanks again

1 hour ago, Jaynay said:

Here you go:

@Jaynay - One more question for you.  I assume you have to "break the seal" of the test in front of the proctor.  Is that the seal on the box or on the individual test?  One of the tests we got from the government has 5 tests in a box.  Does that mean only one of us can use that box, since the first person would have broken the seal?

47 minutes ago, Bouchy said:

HI Kelly - thanks for your response!  I think you replied to me on twitter too.... 🙂  I will deffo check Dochq out.  I would rather have the tests with me before i travel and just be ready to test when required in NYC.  Thanks again

Yes that was me. You buy them and book an appointment before you go and then take them with you to New York 😀

• Like 1

Used E med for the third time this morning.  It didn’t go as smoothly this time but we got it done.  For some reason the video would not stay on my phone, ended up running into the master closet by the router, sitting on the floor to do it.  Then DH couldn’t log in.  Called customer service and it took them an hour to reset his password.  All is good in the end and we are negative and cruising on Sunday.  I do understand the stress and we would prefer to test at home for sure.

One thing we do to help decrease our anxiety is use store tests the night before.  If we are negative then we are pretty sure we will be in the am when we use the proctored test but of course not a guarantee.  Silly I suppose, but helps us.

I’m hoping this is over for the next one but if not we’ll use  E med again.

19 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

@Jaynay - One more question for you.  I assume you have to "break the seal" of the test in front of the proctor.  Is that the seal on the box or on the individual test?  One of the tests we got from the government has 5 tests in a box.  Does that mean only one of us can use that box, since the first person would have broken the seal?

We broke the seal with the proctor watching.  I opened one and my husband started to open the other and she stopped us and said we could use one box since there were two in the box.  So we had the amount needed in one box, not 5 like you state, so I'm not sure...

We are arriving in Italy 4 days  before we board our ship.  You wanna talk about stress!  We have to test within 2 days of boarding (we plan to test Friday before our Sunday boarding) with rapidtestandttace. If either if us test positive, we're stuck in italy for a 10 day quarantine, and have to book flights home since we are booked on a transatlantic back to the States. 

Does anybody know if Rapidtestandtrace is available in Italy. Plus we have to pray for reliable wifi