Have I "outgrown" cruising? Or am I just done with Royal Caribbean?

Sorry to hear your cruise wasn’t great. We were on the Adventure in May and thought it was great, including the food in the MDR. I am sure it was less crowded in May and I think people can have different experiences one week to the next. Didn’t travel with kids and are retired so didn’t really need to use the internet. We cruise a lot so try to switch it up between a bunch of different lines. I really think Covid has caused a lot of issues on land and at sea.  I try to adjust my expectations accordingly.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I think some just enjoy being unhappy in life

Every time someone reads a review where the person had a bad cruise someone has to say some just enjoy being unhappy in life.

How come you just can't read the review  and say the person writing the review had a crappy cruise and leave it at that? Why do you feel the need to say something like that?(unhappy in life).

The guy had a lousy time on his cruise period and leave it at that.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CuseJeff44 said:

I may try another line. Problem is, I don't think a try "luxury" line is in the cards financially....Norwegian I have heard is just as hit or miss as RCI...and Celebrity may be nice, but I don't really want to reward RCI by still giving them my money. And I keep asking myself...maybe I should just pivot to the all-inclusive resort thing where, because I've paid up front (more admittedly) they literally only focus on all the little things that make my life easier and my stay better, rather than harder and more expensive. 

MSC is really nice.

We have cruised since they started back up.  Sure, are some things not back to normal - of course.  But we have always had amazing service, good food, great shows, etc.  Guess I am more patient than many others, but I am so happy to be cruising again.  Been on 11 since last August and cannot wait to go again in 3 weeks.

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I agree with you 100 percent. I have been on 13 cruises since last August. All of them had issues, some minor, some more significant. However, non of these issues impacted my cruise experience and I enjoyed every cruise and I am looking forwarding to the seven cruises I have booked the rest of the year. I have been around long enough to know some people are going to have a good time no matter what while other people are going to be miserable, or at minimum have lots of complaints, no matter what 

Totally agree.  We have been on 11 since August 2021 and every single one has been great.  We choose to have a great time and never sweat the small stuff.  Some cruises, husband cannot get some of the food in the dining room he loves.  I sometimes cannot get mushroom soup.  Is it something to compain about - NO.  Staff is working so hard and are so sweet and pleasant.  We have no complaints.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bxc53 said:

Is this the 'new normal'? Hope not.

I think that most cruise lines are experiencing staffing shortages and supply issues post Covid.  I know Carnival has really pushed the envelope with only once a day cabin service and bartenders and service staff exhausted and overwhelmed.  One bartender at a busy bar just doesn't work. One guy making late night pizza with a long line doesn't work.  Changing MDR steak night to hamburger steak night doesn't work. My Royal cruises have been better, but we were in suites and there were still signs of things being off.  I feel that we are all willing to give a little, expecting that the cruise lines are just starting back up and there are numerous logistic issues to deal with.  However, my biggest fear is that things won't go back to normal and we will be expected to deal with these service issues and lesser quality food along with increased prices.  Carnival has been edging this way for several years.  They lost me as a customer.  I hope Royal steps back up when they have the opportunity. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Totally agree.  We have been on 11 since August 2021 and every single one has been great.  We choose to have a great time and never sweat the small stuff.  Some cruises, husband cannot get some of the food in the dining room he loves.  I sometimes cannot get mushroom soup.  Is it something to compain about - NO.  Staff is working so hard and are so sweet and pleasant.  We have no complaints.

My wife was literally not served her food. Is this too high a bar to expect be met? 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, CuseJeff44 said:

My wife was literally not served her food. Is this too high a bar to expect be met? 

I am sorry you had that experience, we just never had.  We just ask them to bring what we order if it doesn't come in a certain amount of time, and they always make it work.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, CuseJeff44 said:

What does that mean?

I've been on 6 cruises. 5 were great. This one wasn't. So I like being, what., 5/6th happy?

Since five out of your six cruises was good you may want to try another RCI ship. The entire industry has had challenges since the restart and unfortunately some of those issues have crept up on some sailings. We have had some really great cruises on RCI and some that did not live up to expectations. It happens.

Also, look at some other cruise lines. I know that you do not like the idea of giving the RCG family your money but Celebrity is a great cruise line. We are not fans of Carnival or HAL and NCL is okay but they invented the term “nickel and dime” in our book. We may try the new Discovery Princess next year but it seems that they too have issues. Good luck with your decision. 

• Like 1

Just now, cruisingator2 said:

Since five out of your six cruises was good you may want to try another RCI ship. The entire industry has had challenges since the restart and unfortunately some of those issues have crept up on some sailings. We have had some really great cruises on RCI and some that did not live up to expectations. It happens.

Also, look at some other cruise lines. I know that you do not like the idea of giving the RCG family your money but Celebrity is a great cruise line. We are not fans of Carnival or HAL and NCL is okay but they invented the term “nickel and dime” in our book. We may try the new Discovery Princess next year but it seems that they too have issues. Good luck with your decision. 

May another. Appreciate the feedback. Just need to think on it. Princess possibly. 

Virgin looks interesting although we have 2 older teen sons and it doesn’t seem to be a fit till we get to a post kid era 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Sounds like you are OK with mediocrity, but  like the OP, most of us are not.  Frankly it’s because those of us who aren’t afraid to speak up when service is not up to par, then the quiet ones will benefit from us.  Enjoy accepting mediocrity, most of us will not.

It has nothing to do with accepting mediocrity. There is a big difference between mediocrity and realizing things on a ship might have slipped a bit due to the pandemic. Personally I have had a great time on every cruise I have been on over the last year. Have I noticed issues, yes. Have they had a big impact on my cruise, no. On the other hand, service at Disney World has gone drastically down hill over the last two years. The experience Disney provides is not even close to what it used to be, which is why I didn’t renew my annual pass, which I had for 12 years, last month. If the OP didn’t enjoy his cruise, and I have no reason to doubt his story, he would probably be better off going on a different cruise line more to his liking.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

I think that most cruise lines are experiencing staffing shortages and supply issues post Covid.  I know Carnival has really pushed the envelope with only once a day cabin service and bartenders and service staff exhausted and overwhelmed.  One bartender at a busy bar just doesn't work. One guy making late night pizza with a long line doesn't work.  Changing MDR steak night to hamburger steak night doesn't work. My Royal cruises have been better, but we were in suites and there were still signs of things being off.  I feel that we are all willing to give a little, expecting that the cruise lines are just starting back up and there are numerous logistic issues to deal with.  However, my biggest fear is that things won't go back to normal and we will be expected to deal with these service issues and lesser quality food along with increased prices.  Carnival has been edging this way for several years.  They lost me as a customer.  I hope Royal steps back up when they have the opportunity. 

A lot of the changes you mentioned about Carnival were implemented well before the pandemic, so I don’t see those changing now. As for RCI, my overall experience over the past year has ranged from good to outstanding. The only issue I see with them is most of their ships are short staffed right now. I have heard countless times people state passenger loads should be lower if staffing levels are lower, which is a fair point. But RCI, and all cruise lines, took on a lot of debt due to the pandemic and it’s hard to fault them for trying to generate as much revenue as possible.  

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, CuseJeff44 said:

I certainly don’t mind your negative review CuseJeff44 - but a few points:

-if the waiter only brought you four onion rings for four people, I assume you only ordered one side of onion rings?  Why didn’t you order three more sides of onion rings?  Surely you’re not telling us that you placed an order for four sides of onion rings and they brought you one ring each?

-I really don’t understand your issue with the handwashing station in the Buffet.  I want everyone on a cruise ship to wash their hands as much as possible.  The last thing I want on a cruise vacation is norovirus. I’ll take the 2022 version of covid over norovirus any day.  And let’s face it - the hand washing station is not going to cause covid any more than the main dining room or a crowded show or packed piano bar.  

So when you make some questionable comments in your review, you can’t be surprised when people are questioning your overall review.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

I agree, and that excuse they are using is getting old and tired,.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Wifi: can never understand why people need to have streaming wifi on a holiday. Supposed to be family time and relaxing time, no work and just chill. Its expensive and i always see lots of people complaining about the coverage.

Ah, another one assuming Wi-Fi is all about work….but I’ll give you credit, at least you didn’t assume video games. 

Well let me enlighten you. I use Wi-Fi to enhance the vacation itself….to follow maps of my cruise to check out what’s on that interesting coastline I see from my balcony. Or to learn about a rare bird I saw in port. Sometimes I want to know more about the history behind a place I visited during a tour on an excursion. Maybe I learn about an interesting place to visit from a fellow passenger, or a dish I had on board or in port that I’d like to make at home. Sometimes I plan a self guided walk or drive during tomorrow’s port visit. And when the weather is unsuitable on deck so I have to use the dreaded treadmill, I like something to watch or read or listen to, since the scenery doesn’t change. 

Don’t be so jugdy, you don’t know why people are online. I won’t even get into the story of a decision I had to make about my dog while I was away…and thanks to Wi-Fi I got to see her one last time. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Sounds like you are OK with mediocrity, but  like the OP, most of us are not.  Frankly it’s because those of us who aren’t afraid to speak up when service is not up to par, then the quiet ones will benefit from us.  Enjoy accepting mediocrity, most of us will not.

Not to mention that when we accept low standards, they tend not to improve. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, karena1 said:

I am sorry you had that experience, we just never had.  We just ask them to bring what we order if it doesn't come in a certain amount of time, and they always make it work.

But your good experience doesn’t negate the validity of his experience. There seems to be this mentality among some people here that because their own experience was good, any negative review must be bullsh*t. I myself had a great cruise on the Oasis last October, but that doesn’t mean that someone on another ship at another port on another  date “likes to be unhappy” just because they report that their cruise was not up to par. The OP raised legitimate gripes that most here would not be happy with, if they were willing to admit it to themselves let alone on CC. 

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Ah, another one assuming Wi-Fi is all about work….but I’ll give you credit, at least you didn’t assume video games. 

Well let me enlighten you. I use Wi-Fi to enhance the vacation itself….to follow maps of my cruise to check out what’s on that interesting coastline I see from my balcony. Or to learn about a rare bird I saw in port. Sometimes I want to know more about the history behind a place I visited during a tour on an excursion. Maybe I learn about an interesting place to visit from a fellow passenger, or a dish I had on board or in port that I’d like to make at home. Sometimes I plan a self guided walk or drive during tomorrow’s port visit. And when the weather is unsuitable on deck so I have to use the dreaded treadmill, I like something to watch or read or listen to, since the scenery doesn’t change. 

Don’t be so jugdy, you don’t know why people are online. I won’t even get into the story of a decision I had to make about my dog while I was away…and thanks to Wi-Fi I got to see her one last time. 

This is me exactly!  Internet is to enhance the cruise experience.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

This is me exactly!  Internet is to enhance the cruise experience.

Why do they have to charge for internet when it so undependable on a cruise ship? Why can't it be like most hotels, when you reserve a  room.? Free internet comes with the room.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Thank you for your honest review. At this point, I recommend stepping up to a different line before calling it quits altogether.

I very much agree with the mdr criticism. I don’t even eat in RCIs mdr anymore. 

If you do try RCI again, consider a suite on the larger Quantum or Oasis Class. More free dining options and Coastal Kitchen is much better than the mdr. 

FWIW, I've had a majority of lovely meals in the MDR in 10+ trips since restart 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Why do they have to charge for internet when it so undependable on a cruise ship? Why can't it be like most hotels, when you reserve a  room.? Free internet comes with the room.

Because they can, and I love the people on Celebrity board who sail in Retreat suites with AI and they truly believe the unreliable internet is free

Edited by LGW59

4 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I avoid summer cruises like the plague so, who knows what happens when 1000s of New Yorkers with kids get on a ship.😇

jc

You may have hit the nail on the head😉

Seems like the NJ sailings have been plagued lately 

4 hours ago, warburg said:

Greetings, Everyone from South Beach, twenty minutes from Port of Miami.. A recent article outlined the growing number of complaints from disappointed passengers addressing the same issues that bothered CussJeff. The cruise lines are caught in a terrible economic spot. The lock down was a total disaster.  Today's economic reality is also horrific.  In my opinion, Royal should decide. if it wants to keep its passengers happy and provide the expected product. If not, the line will accept losing CussJeff and others who feel as he does. To his credit, he's spoken up. One onion ring each and no burger at all has an Oliver Twistish quality to it. In February I sail on Odyssey in a junior suite. I will report on my experience as CussJeff has done. At the moment, I am optimistic and expect to have a good time. 

Mary

Good luck. Looking forward to your take. FWIW, I've had hiccups in Johnny Rockets, but they quickly take care of it.

And I am not, repeat not, saying the OP didn't have issues.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

We were on the 13 night repositioning cruise before it went to NY/NJ.  I found the food to be pretty good.  The internet worked well enough I could stream NHL playoffs and Formula Race.  

We did the 5 night dining package, and 3 nights at Giovannis and 2 nights at Chops is way too much of both.  😆  

I avoid summer cruises like the plague so, who knows what happens when 1000s of New Yorkers with kids get on a ship.😇

jc

I now only do cruises that are very unlikely to attract kids; TA’s, Med et al and I only sail early/mid fall and/or spring.  If want the Caribbean or Mexico I go 18+ all inclusive.  

• Like 1

You’re getting a lot of pushback, but I agree with most of your points. We have done 35 cruises with Royal over 20+ years and there have been two distinct periods during which the quality diminished drastically- the 2008 financial crisis and COVID. 

I am sailing the cruises I had booked and a couple bargain sailings, but other than that I have moved to Celebrity and Virgin for most future cruises. Celebrity has dropped in quality also, however, is a premium experience to Royal. 

Edited by kruzerci
  • Like 2