New Testing Protocols on Carnival

dmcfad2

From John Heald’s Facebook page:

NEWS ON TESTING.

Carnival Cruise Line is pleased to announce that we are adjusting certain protocols to reflect the lifting of CDC requirements for the US cruise industry. We remain, as always, committed to the health and safety of our guests, crew and the communities we serve.  These changes will be made in phases, with the first of these updates effective on Thursday, August 4, 2022 and focused on short cruise itineraries of 5 nights or less.  More changes will be announced shortly and all changes are subject to any requirements of destinations on the itinerary.

Effective for embarkations on or after Thursday, August 4

• No pre-cruise testing for fully vaccinated guests booked on cruises with itineraries 5 nights or less.

• Pre-cruise testing for itineraries 6 nights or longer can be conducted up to three (3) days before departure.

• There will be no in-terminal testing for unvaccinated guests (with exemption approval)   on day of departure, but all unvaccinated guests, age 2 and older, must provide proof of a negative result of a lab-administered or supervised self-administered antigen COVID test taken within three (3) days before embarkation.  

Thank you all for helping get us to where we are now and your loyalty and your desire to cruise and have FUN is extraordinary.

Cheers and PLEASE SHARE WITH AT LEAST ONE PERSON

Come on, HAL. It s your turn.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

COME ON HAL!  Lets do the same for 7 days or less for US and Canadian cruises effective NOW!

Why only select cruises?  Do it for all cruises.  It is obviously not our health and safety they care about.   This is a wham, bam, thank you ma’am policy.  Get them in, get them out before they know they have Covid. Wash hands and repeat.  If they don’t care about my safety that is fine, I can manage my  own health and safety. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think they feel that is is less likely for someone to show signs of covid in the first 5 days. HAL has very few 5 days or less.(Repo cruises on West Coast only) Where Carnival and Princess have several. If this goes well in the next 60 days I could see them opening up to no testing for 7 day cruises. But have seen it mention on a few other chat forums for RCI, many people choose to do B2B2B on the 3 and 4 day. So not sure how this will stand for those. They are basically testing the water so to speak.

HAL is not going to open up for 7 day no testing until Carnival does.

• Like 2

Change is happening, slowly but surely (well this week it's been quite rapid lol).

Today, Royal Caribbean dropped another big bomb to go along with eliminating pre testing for the vaccinated on shorter voyages, RCL is now welcoming 20% unvaccinated passengers onboard and making protocols to obtain an exemption a bit easier. Currently Virgin and Princess welcome 10% unvaccinated and have changed the way they process exemptions to make them more consumer friendly. 

Royal Caribbean International President and CEO Michael Bayley posted on social media ......we will welcome unvaccinated guests over 12 and guests with a certificate of recovery within 90 days to travel keeping in mind our ships will typically sail with 80 percent plus vaccinated guests onboard. "

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/major-cruise-line-drops-vaccine-requirement

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/us-cruises/

Would love the pre-cruise testing to go away but I would steer clear of lines and cruises where they are welcoming unvaccinated guests as the itinerary will change when they have to get seriously ill passengers to shore.

• Like 8

Wow   they really need the money  so here goes  more people coming back with covid  . BTW we know people who got B5 on a  cruise  & they were vaccinated . He took 3 weeks  & told me that every day coughing  &  very difficult to get any thing up . His wife is still ill after 5 weeks  . 

The cruise lines will be hard pressed  to attract  many older  people . Thus ,they will have to cater to  the young . Watch out below  .  

5 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

COME ON HAL!  Lets do the same for 7 days or less for US and Canadian cruises effective NOW!

My suspicious is that they are finding most cases show up on day 5 and later. So, a 5 days trip means they don’t care if you board with Covid, since they won’t need to quarrentine or pay for post cruise quarantine or anything at 5 days. 7 days will remain more likely for everything.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rubytue said:

My suspicious is that they are finding most cases show up on day 5 and later. So, a 5 days trip means they don’t care if you board with Covid, since they won’t need to quarrentine or pay for post cruise quarantine or anything at 5 days. 7 days will remain more likely for everything.  

Exactly.  This has nothing to do with safety, nothing at all.  Enough of the pretense. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rubytue said:

Carnival  Corp is in bad shape & their stock price  reflects that .imo they will do anything  they need to get more people on ships  including longer cruises no testing required .This will be coming along in the near future .Sad but true ."Follow the Money "

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Carnival  Corp is in bad shape & their stock price  reflects that .imo they will do anything  they need to get more people on ships  including longer cruises no testing required .This will be coming along in the near future .Sad but true ."Follow the Money "

I don't think they want to risk safety. I am certain the CDC was consulted before it was announced.  People may not agree but let's not jump to conclusions that they are just doing a money grab.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rubytue said:

. 7 days will remain more likely for everything.  

I respectfully disagree. Here is the press release from Carnival. Of course, we don't know the definition of 'shortly'. Time will tell but I suspect it will be long before 2023.

We remain, as always, committed to the health and safety of our guests, crew and the communities we serve. These changes will be made in phases, with the first of these updates effective on Thursday, August 4, 2022 and focused on short cruise itineraries of 5 nights or less.

More changes will be announced shortly and all changes are subject to any requirements of destinations on the itinerary.

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Canada is still requiring tests, correct? So everyone will still have to test if your ship sails from, or touches Canada. HAL ( or Carnival) can't change that.

Absolutely correct. However Canada was very quick to amend their rules to allow the cruise season to start last spring (allowing unvaccinated children). I suspect Canada will modify their rules again. According to travel agent news, bookings for RCL 5 day cruises skyrocketed with the news of no-testing. If that trend continues, I suspect Canada will follow the money. 

• Like 2

Covid in, some variation, is never going away.  As a 67yo vaccinated person, I am going to live my life the way I chose.  We all know what the risks are in life. Chose whatever you are comfortable with. Wear a mask or don’t.  Go on a cruise or don’t.  It’s up to you 

• Like 7

I have always felt extremely strong regarding everyone should be fully vaccinated and wearing masks, early on I would not even go in places where people were not wearing masks and vaccinated. As time has passed I am seeing more and more that those that do wear KN95 all the time and are vaccinated are the ones coming down with covid and those that are close friends that I am aware of that are not vaccinated or at least have not taken boosters have not gotten sick. All have been traveling with no problems unlike those that have done what they should. I have to say I am starting to question my own beliefs. I know this post my be taken down because someone will disagree sadly that is what happens here. But I just feel if you strongly feel you do not want to be exposed then do not cruise. We have been telling the non vaccinated they could not cruise for over a year. Nothing has changed. As said previously I think covid is here to stay, we must learn to live with it much like excepting getting noro or cruise crud on a cruise in the past. And yes some people got deathly ill from those.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I have always felt extremely strong regarding everyone should be fully vaccinated and wearing masks, early on I would not even go in places where people were not wearing masks and vaccinated. As time has passed I am seeing more and more that those that do wear KN95 all the time and are vaccinated are the ones coming down with covid and those that are close friends that I am aware of that are not vaccinated or at least have not taken boosters have not gotten sick. All have been traveling with no problems unlike those that have done what they should. I have to say I am starting to question my own beliefs. I know this post my be taken down because someone will disagree sadly that is what happens here. But I just feel if you strongly feel you do not want to be exposed then do not cruise. We have been telling the non vaccinated they could not cruise for over a year. Nothing has changed. As said previously I think covid is here to stay, we must learn to live with it much like excepting getting noro or cruise crud on a cruise in the past. And yes some people got deathly ill from those.

I think this disease is not an equal opportunist.  Some are significantly impacted and others are unscathed regardless of precautions. (  I actually think mask wearing presents serious risks).  By now we all know which camp we are in and should behave accordingly.  It goes without saying we should respect the rights of others in their level of precautions, both those who strictly adhere and those who do not.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I agree, Lisa. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I think it’s luck more than anything.  I’m not going to stop taking any booster that is offered.  I wouldn’t be comfortable if the cruise lines had no restrictions on vaccinations.  I’m speaking for myself personally and not everyone. Are these vaccinated people taking care on hygiene?  Are the unvaccinated being super careful?  I’m not saying they are not but there may be a reason.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

3 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Yep... and the raw data from University of Michigan hospital has supported your theory since the start of Omicron. Consistently more vaccinated folks in the hospital with covid than unvaccinated. They update weekly and the stats have been this way for over 7 months. Of course, there are other variables to consider, but the raw data indicates that comorbidity, not vaccination status, is a better predictor of who ends up hospitalized.

https://www.uofmhealth.org/coronavirus/covid19-numbers

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Consistently more vaccinated folks in the hospital with covid than unvaccinated.

Uh, that's because there are more of us (vaccinated people) than unvaccinated nowadays.  If you have a population of 100 people and 90 of them are vaccinated and 10 of them are not, you can see that if you saw 4 of the vaxxed people in the hospital and only 2 of the unvaxxed, it's not really accurate to say that "twice as many vaccinated people are hospitalized."

The rate of hospitalization for fully vaxxed AND boosted people is very, very low.  That is a fact.

image.png.ed3a37982ca2e69d59bb8c29c2fae29a.png

This is from Washington state (it's hard to find composite data involving the whole USA - here's the link: COVID-19 Cases, Hospitalizations, and Deaths by Vaccination Status (wa.gov) ), and the blue line (the lower one) is ONLY vaxxed people who have "completed the primary series," meaning they aren't even doing data on people who are boosted. (The charts I've seen that show the boosted data would have a blue line without that spike in February.) And this data is for old folks like me, who are more vulnerable.

The data is clear.  Vaxxed people are FAR less likely to end up in the hospital than unvaxxed people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, cowmilker said:

Uh, that's because there are more of us (vaccinated people) than unvaccinated nowadays.  If you have a population of 100 people and 90 of them are vaccinated and 10 of them are not, you can see that if you saw 4 of the vaxxed people in the hospital and only 2 of the unvaxxed, it's not really accurate to say that "twice as many vaccinated people are hospitalized."

I think you are overestimating the number of people who are vaccinated. Approximately 67% of people are vaccinated in Washtinaw County (where UofM is located), no where near 90%. 

Do you deny that comorbidity is a more accurate predictor of a hospital stay due to covid? 

33 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thank you.  I just love these theories presented 10 times a day with one hospital 😛.  Yup, that’s reality.

Full disclosure, I am affiliated with University of Michigan and trust that those presenting data are attempting to give a complete and accurate picture of current happenings. Please provide a link to any other hospital that disseminated between vaccinated and unvaccinated with weekly averages and includes comorbidity as a variable. If you can't do that, I suggest you ask yourself why.

Again, I repeat. Are you denying that comorbidity is a more determining factor to hospitalization with covid? If so, please contribute positively to the discussion by providing a data source. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

no where near 90%.

I wasn't suggesting that was the case.  I was using those figures because of the ease of doing the mental math.

OF COURSE, pre-existing conditions matter.  They do with all infections. But no, it's not a "more accurate" predictor.  It's simply one of a number of factors, including vax status and age and socio-economic status, and even race.

What is NOT true is the idea that somehow people who got vaccinated are now more prone to being hospitalized with Covid than those who didn't.  That's just not true.  At all.  Not even close.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2