Elite status internet vs medalion confusion (or maybe just a seniors confusion)

ronjoh

First a little background. As Elite member (in the past) we were allowed some free internet each day. It was good enough for us to receive and send a few emails each day.

The last Princess cruise, earlier this year, we were on a new ship and wanted to experience all the new technology so we purchased the full package (medalion, free  internet and gratuities. This was great, although me wife doesn't drink and the price seemed good (lower than what is offered today) however we didn't need the full internet package, and my wife did enjoy some of the specialty coffees. I tried my best to get some value out of the beverage package. Because we're elite members we also had a free bar set up each.

My question is that we really didn't need the package we purchased, we don't understand our options (for the next cruise we are looking at). Following are my questions.

1. Do you still get medalion if you don't purchase the full internet package?

2. We understand the elite free internet perk is gone. Can we purchase internet by the minute (hour) to satisfy our needs on sending and receiving emails?

3, Do Elite passengers get a discount on internet? 

4. What are the current internet packages and their prices?

5. Is medallion internet or blue tooth based. Do I need it?

Thank you and I appreciate all the help and clarifications that I seem unable to get from the Princess website.

17 minutes ago, ronjoh said:

The medallion is a small disk device.  It is provided free to all passengers.  It works as your cabin key, and it identifies you for drink purchases, store purchases, etc.  It is independent from any internet you may buy.

2. We understand the elite free internet perk is gone. Can we purchase internet by the minute (hour) to satisfy our needs on sending and receiving emails?

I don’t know if they still sell minutes.  Mostly, they push unlimited access for one device or multiple devices.  But “one device” means “one device at a time.”  So long as you stagger your usage, you and wife can both use the “one device” between you.

Yes, if bought before the first day.

You need the medallion.  It is your cabin key, your ID, your boarding and disembarkation pass.

1 hour ago, ronjoh said:

Because we're elite members we also had a free bar set up each.

Nope. You get one mini bar setup per cabin - not one for each Elite passenger in the cabin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @ronjoh, the price for internet for platinum and above if purchase before cruise and for entire voyage would be $5/day so for a 7 day cruise it would be $35. If you feel you do not need for entire voyage, you can purchase on a per day basis for the discount rate of $10/day, normally $20/day but as platinum or elite you get 50% discount. So you can plan how much internet you will need for your particular voyage.

You cannot buy ‘minutes’. Minimum is one day/24 hours. You should be able to buy the whole voyage plan on the APP before your cruise and it will know your discount if you are entitled to one. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ronjoh said:

As posted earlier in this thread.

5 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Yes, if bought before the first day.

You can get a discount even when you purchase Internet time on board. However it will be 50% off a higher price once on board.

• Like 1

If you use a smartphone, you can download the MedallionClass App and purchase the MedallionNet or internet package there for the Elite discount rate.

It should show the 50% off for your journey.  If not, you could also purchase it through your TA or over the phone with Princess.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

You can get a discount even when you purchase Internet time on board. However it will be 50% off a higher price once on board.

This question was asked in the Medallion App thread . If you purchase on the day you board do you get the cheaper rate that you can get before boarding or does the price go up the as of that day. I wanted it to come off our OBC and not pay beforehand  but don't want to pay the higher price obviously.  ( Seems I am not alone in wanting to know this) 

1 hour ago, amajaa said:

This question was asked in the Medallion App thread . If you purchase on the day you board do you get the cheaper rate that you can get before boarding or does the price go up the as of that day. I wanted it to come off our OBC and not pay beforehand  but don't want to pay the higher price obviously.  ( Seems I am not alone in wanting to know this) 

It would be nice if we could use OBC pre-cruise, but nope...just for excursions.

• Like 2

Since your wife enjoys specialty coffees and you don't sound like you get the full benefit of the package on alcohol either, you might want to trade your mini-bar for two coffee packages. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Since your wife enjoys specialty coffees and you don't sound like you get the full benefit of the package on alcohol either, you might want to trade your mini-bar for two coffee packages. 

What do you get in the coffee package?

2 hours ago, amajaa said:

30 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I'm told you can purchase the internet on board for the discounted $5 daily for elite/platinum tiers. It had been only if purchased in advance but that wasn't working out. 

You always get 50% off.  However, absent any official announcement (not that they ever made one in the first place), it appears as though the pre-cruise price offer on Day 1 of a voyage has been eliminated.  It was a temporary thing in any case due to difficulties in the App pre-ordering MedallionNet and then also not providing the 50% discount.  Now that is fixed, so they seem to have stopped the Day 1 pricing.  You need to pre-order (at least 3 days ahead of sail date) in order to get the pre-cruise pricing.

12 hours ago, ronjoh said:

The last Princess cruise, earlier this year, we were on a new ship and wanted to experience all the new technology so we purchased the full package (medalion, free  internet and gratuities. This was great, although me wife doesn't drink and the price seemed good (lower than what is offered today) however we didn't need the full internet package, and my wife did enjoy some of the specialty coffees. I tried my best to get some value out of the beverage package. Because we're elite members we also had a free bar set up each.

Thank you and I appreciate all the help and clarifications that I seem unable to get from the Princess website.

Some math.  If you bought PLUS fare, you pay $50/pp/day or $100/day total.

Crew Appreciation is $29/day in a regular cabin.

MedallionNet for a single-device = $5/day.  Just buy one and share it based on your usage.

That leaves $66/day for drinks.  You can figure out if it makes sense to buy any of the drink packages based on your expected personal spend. 

Note that your mini-bar can be swapped for TWO coffee pkgs (I wish you could get ONE for half the mini-bar contents, but nope).  You can also swap content of mini-bar (we get all beers and all sparkling water for the alcohol and non-alcohol portions).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, amajaa said:

What do you actually get on a coffee card, presumably it is so many speciality coffees, but how many? 

New Grounds Coffee Package

Terms & Conditions

What is Included

• The package includes the pre-purchase of a specified number of specialty coffees (numbers vary by itinerary) during the voyage of purchase, as well as complimentary brewed coffee and hot chocolate.
  • Guests may redeem the number of specialty coffees purchased in the package in locations where espresso is available. This will include select bar and dining areas and varies by ship and/or itinerary.
  • Selections and service are limited to that venue’s menu offerings and operating hours.

Package Details and Qualifications

• The package may be pre-purchased up to 4 days prior to boarding the vessel.
  • The package is NOT available for pre-purchase within 3 days of sailing.
  • The coffee package is valid only on the voyage for which it is purchased. If the maximum number of coffees pre-purchased are not used during the voyage, the remaining value will NOT be credited or refunded and is NOT transferable for any purpose.
  • Coffee packages cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Pre-purchased specialty coffees may be shared, but complimentary brewed coffee, teas and hot chocolate continue to be limited to the purchaser.

Exclusions and Limitations

• Does NOT apply to bottled or ready to drink items such as canned coffee items etc.
  • CANNOT be redeemed when ordering Room Service or for Mini Bar items.

Terms and Conditions

• Princess Cruises may modify, amend or update these terms and conditions of our beverage packages / offers at any time with or without notice to guests. The terms and conditions as published on princess.com on the date of sailing will apply, in addition to the terms and conditions of the passage contract.
  • Not all exclusions or limitations can be foreseen or published here and may exist or be implemented with or without notice.
  • Pricing is subject to change without notice, and for vessels designated in a foreign currency (Australia as an example), packages purchased in advance may vary from onboard pricing due to timing and currency fluctuations. Guests will NOT incur additional charges, nor be issued any credits or refunds for such currency variances.
  • By purchasing a coffee package, you agree to these and all future terms and conditions.

15 specialty coffees or teas per Coffee package.

• 1 year later...
On 7/30/2022 at 12:35 PM, ronjoh said:

First a little background. As Elite member (in the past) we were allowed some free internet each day. It was good enough for us to receive and send a few emails each day.

My question is that we really didn't need the package we purchased, we don't understand our options (for the next cruise we are looking at). Following are my questions.

I can help with a couple of your questions;

Everyone gets the Medallion, it has taken the place of your cruise card.

As an Elite you get the internet at 1/2 price & can be purchased onboard on a day by day basis if you don't want to go for the whole cruise package.

Not sure of the price & that would depend on where you are cruising from.

Edited by Wanderers2

9 minutes ago, Wanderers2 said:

Do Elite passengers get a discount on internet? 

Internet for one person for one device (at a time) is $15 per day. Elite cruisers get half price so it's $7.50 per day.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Internet for one person for one device (at a time) is $15 per day. Elite cruisers get half price so it's $7.50 per day.

$7.50 per day is only if you purchase for the entire voyage. If you want only 1 day(24hours) the price is $20 so elite discount brings that down to $10.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Coffee Card is back?  How many?  How much?  Inquiring minds want to know. Web page does not give details. Duh

this is a thread from 2022...the coffee card info was posted July 22...it took me a bit to realize that someone had resurrected an old thread.☺️

5 hours ago, wallyj said:

$7.50 per day is only if you purchase for the entire voyage. If you want only 1 day(24hours) the price is $20 so elite discount brings that down to $10.

Guests who only want a day here or there are lucky IMO that PCL did not increase that fee for some reason.  It used to be double the daily rate and now only $5 more.