Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

17 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

this is a gorgeous photo, you should enlarge and frame it.  I mean WOW

Appreciate the compliment.   Unfortunately the only way I can add more to the walls of our home it to buy a new house..... LOL 

I have to say I absolutely love sunsets.   It something we rarely get in Northern  California.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

This is why I love TMobile

012BDD97-4819-4183-8EA8-7720729B2A11.thumb.jpeg.ae0b81123751a8f87ce73c7d265e8ad3.jpeg

Unlimited 4G in Iceland.   Just remember Greenland is an outlier.  Need to use ship WIFI if I understand what my Iceland TA said.

Am sure you already posted but wondering how many on board?

Weather for the last 9 days in Iceland pretty good.  At least some sun every day.  If you don't like the weather just wait.  It will change. This morning rain for 6 hours.  This afternoon windy - 20-40mph - but partly cloudy. 

Hi Jim -

I am enjoying this review, as always.  I know I need to check in daily or I get too far behind.  My husband and I are doing the New England /Canada itinerary on the October 3 sailing, the last one for the season so I am looking forward to your visits to those ports. 

I was wondering about the wine selection on board.  I noticed the menus are still showing Inniskillin ice wine for a dessert choice, however when we were on the Millenium in May for the Pacific Coastal there was none onboard. Have they resupplied?  We have some spare onboard credit that my be worth splurging on a per glass upcharge.

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Now for a Scot you would never believe it.    "It's only Money, We can't take it with us"     

🤣 I very nearly commented the last time you said that! Mind you there is bit more to us Scots and our cannyness than people understand. I'd argue it's more about wanting quality and value for money than just being stingy. I whole heartedly agree with Iain!

9 minutes ago, Redking said:

🤣 I very nearly commented the last time you said that! Mind you there is bit more to us Scots and our cannyness than people understand. I'd argue it's more about wanting quality and value for money than just being stingy. I whole heartedly agree with Iain!

I'm actually a Scot myself and learned from my mother who grew up during the depression.   Now that lady could stretch a penny.   I can be very much like you I want Quality for my money.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Unlimited 4G in Iceland.   Just remember Greenland is an outlier.  Need to use ship WIFI if I understand what my Iceland TA said.

Weather for the last 9 days in Iceland pretty good.  At least some sun every day.  If you don't like the weather just wait.  It will change. This morning rain for 6 hours.  This afternoon windy - 20-40mph - but partly cloudy. 

I've not heard a final count yet.    About 1,600 elite and above and 16 Zenith's.   I'll ask tonight.

27 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Curious about what you TA was indicating.   Many location on TMobile use as slow as 3G.   I looked at their website and Iceland is listed as a covered country.   The good thing is as soon as you turn off airplane mode it sends you a message indicating the coverage and costs.

The Ship's WiFi is the worst I've ever experienced on Celebrity.   On premium the Max I've been getting is 1.6 mps with Premium.

Enjoying the cruise😀. Loved the pictures too. Nice to see pictures of green grass too. Our fields are becoming dust bowls with our drought ( and this is England). 

Now my mother is Irish and she takes my Scottish wife’s breath away with her frugality. 

You will enjoy Iceland. We were there during a rainy November and took refuge in the Whale Museum - a good few hours spent😄. The prices again took my Scottish wife’s breath away😳

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, long time lurker said:

Hi Jim -

I am enjoying this review, as always.  I know I need to check in daily or I get too far behind.  My husband and I are doing the New England /Canada itinerary on the October 3 sailing, the last one for the season so I am looking forward to your visits to those ports. 

I was wondering about the wine selection on board.  I noticed the menus are still showing Inniskillin ice wine for a dessert choice, however when we were on the Millenium in May for the Pacific Coastal there was none onboard. Have they resupplied?  We have some spare onboard credit that my be worth splurging on a per glass upcharge.

It is hit or miss.   Everything Iain has ordered so far they have had.    I hear Canadian is still in short supply due to a world wide shortage caused by Covid.  They drank the well dry and waiting to un-cask more when properly aged.   I guess you can't rush it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Enjoying the cruise😀. Loved the pictures too. Nice to see pictures of green grass too. Our fields are becoming dust bowls with our drought ( and this is England). 

Now my mother is Irish and she takes my Scottish wife’s breath away with her frugality. 

You will enjoy Iceland. We were there during a rainy November and took refuge in the Whale Museum - a good few hours spent😄. The prices again took my Scottish wife’s breath away😳

Talking ones breath away.    The prices of Specialty Dining has really taken a spike   We noticed that at home also -   I was looking at a couple restaurants on my walk and lunches have gone up to about $18 for most entree's and that's before Tax and Tip. 

I feel like I've become my Grandfather, saying  I remember when I could buy a dozen eggs for a quarter.  LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ok. With the comment of the bright color I thought I would hear a comment about his TShirt. 

He was stopped twice by people saying I love it.  It took a second for him to figure out what they were talking about. 

89C1AC3B-ACDD-4A8D-8BB6-5F58C0F323CA.jpeg

I was so blown away by the perfect colored travel jacket that I did not notice it. He wears it well!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It is hit or miss.   Everything Iain has ordered so far they have had.    I hear Canadian is still in short supply due to a world wide shortage caused by Covid.  They drank the well dry and waiting to un-cask more when properly aged.   I guess you can't rush it.

Well wine tastings in Niagara were sold out last summer & the summer before 😜

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Talking ones breath away.    The prices of Specialty Dining has really taken a spike   We noticed that at home also -   I was looking at a couple restaurants on my walk and lunches have gone up to about $18 for most entree's and that's before Tax and Tip. 

I feel like I've become my Grandfather, saying  I remember when I could buy a dozen eggs for a quarter.  LOL

It will be interesting to see how this plays out once all the Covid credit has washed through the system. Doubt prices will come down, but the restaurants might not be as full once people have to dig into their pockets for 'new' money. We're having the same debacle with Air NZ at the moment. Still have a credit with them for a Covid cancelled flight, but I'm not prepared to over $1000 for a one way to Brisbane. Told our son we'd be better waiting until they come at Xmas and put the money in the pockets of local tour operators. Might report back here for folks planning an NZ cruise. Happy Sailing.

2 hours ago, Redking said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out once all the Covid credit has washed through the system. Doubt prices will come down, but the restaurants might not be as full once people have to dig into their pockets for 'new' money. We're having the same debacle with Air NZ at the moment. Still have a credit with them for a Covid cancelled flight, but I'm not prepared to over $1000 for a one way to Brisbane. Told our son we'd be better waiting until they come at Xmas and put the money in the pockets of local tour operators. Might report back here for folks planning an NZ cruise. Happy Sailing.

The Us at least has some laws about cancelled flights that allow you to get cash back.  We had to use the Department of Transportation to get TAP Portugal’s attention. They kept telling us it was being worked on.  I truly thought that there was an international agreement that said the same.   I loved my Air anew Zealand flight back about 7 years ago.  Hoping you get you credit fixed.  

52 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

The Us at least has some laws about cancelled flights that allow you to get cash back.  We had to use the Department of Transportation to get TAP Portugal’s attention. They kept telling us it was being worked on.  I truly thought that there was an international agreement that said the same.   I loved my Air anew Zealand flight back about 7 years ago.  Hoping you get you credit fixed.  

How I wish that were the case. Best I don't completely hijack the thread but we did contact the CEO, the NZ government finance and transport ministers (the NZ government are the majority shareholder in Air NZ) stating that refunds should be offered in line with other carriers and so that we can more easily choose to fly on a cheaper flight. Nope! They are a great airline but not that great that they can justify a 205% increase on their usual fare. And breath. Rant over and back to enjoying cruising vicariously 🤣

Really enjoying your posts so far. I love your photos of Halifax. You have a good eye and always photograph a nice variety of local life. 

Just off the Apex, my first Celebrity cruise, and when faced with the choice of cakes at Cafe al Bacio,  I went with the lemon tart on your recommendation😋Thanks for the tip! 

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ok. With the comment of the bright color I thought I would hear a comment about his TShirt. 

He was stopped twice by people saying I love it.  It took a second for him to figure out what they were talking about. 

89C1AC3B-ACDD-4A8D-8BB6-5F58C0F323CA.jpeg

I was going to comment on the t-shirt - it’s fab and I want one 😂!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Redking said:

I've been looking at Air Fares to Australia for our 2023 cruise (not yet available) but checking current rates to see what they look like.   Ouch. 

3 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

Really enjoying your posts so far. I love your photos of Halifax. You have a good eye and always photograph a nice variety of local life. 

Just off the Apex, my first Celebrity cruise, and when faced with the choice of cakes at Cafe al Bacio,  I went with the lemon tart on your recommendation😋Thanks for the tip! 

I prefer the ones without meringue but it didn't stop me from having two.    One waitress said she was the same and just scrapes it off.    

They are just the perfect one bite and so tart.  

• Like 2