Muster drill

JTBCruiser

1 minute ago, JTBCruiser said:

Haven't sailed NCL in over 12 years. How do they do the muster drill, is it done on the app like RCL and Carnival?

Yes, pretty much.  I also have to watch a video, and go visit the muster station once on board.

I am not sure if this is really a good idea.  I know that I was much more aware on a cruise many years ago when we had to assemble, rather than this relatively passive interaction. 

I hope that the cruise lines have evaluated the efficacy of this type of mustering.  😞  

@pdmlynek, I agree with you. My husband and I were whisked on board quickly, stopped to scan our cards at a venue for the muster station, and then taken to our cabin. We still don't know exactly where the muster station was, though we think it might have been the Getaway Theatre. 

Are we bad cruisers for not knowing? Yea, probably...I know someone will call us reckless/careless/etc., but hey if an emergency happened and we wound up on the ocean bottom, we'd only blame ourselves, no one else. 

I will say that we are going to actually figure out our muster station when we get on board in a few weeks and walk it (at least once) from our room so that we aren't considered "careless." Well darn, now we'll be outed as being too prepared. Oh wellz...

8 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

@pdmlynek, I agree with you. My husband and I were whisked on board quickly, stopped to scan our cards at a venue for the muster station, and then taken to our cabin. We still don't know exactly where the muster station was, though we think it might have been the Getaway Theatre. 

Are we bad cruisers for not knowing? Yea, probably...I know someone will call us reckless/careless/etc., but hey if an emergency happened and we wound up on the ocean bottom, we'd only blame ourselves, no one else. 

I will say that we are going to actually figure out our muster station when we get on board in a few weeks and walk it (at least once) from our room so that we aren't considered "careless." Well darn, now we'll be outed as being too prepared. Oh wellz...

Muster Station is printed on everyone's stateroom key/card.

Also, there is a Muster Station "poster" on the inside of every stateroom door (if while in room you're in doubt/need a reminder)!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JTBCruiser said:

Haven't sailed NCL in over 12 years. How do they do the muster drill, is it done on the app like RCL and Carnival?

Things have really changed in the past 20 years that we have been sailing. In the early days, we had to actually put on a life jacket (smelled like mildew always) then had to stand in the 90 degree blazing sun, all lined up on deck, in front of our assigned lifeboat.....we really knew what to do in case of an emergency! 

On our NCL cruise last year, we watched a safety video at home then just swiped our card at our assigned Muster Station. I'm sure that this was due to covid though since it makes no sense to have thousands of people standing around together for 30 minutes plus! I suspect that this might change back at some point since going through the motions might more prepare most folks.

• Like 2

The last time we cruised was 12/2019 on the Breakaway.  At muster time we assembled in the O'Sheehans part of the ship with a hundreds of our fellow cruisers.....very unorganized with lots of folks who were happily celebrating vacation time with many adult beverages already consumed....  I admittedly had had a drink while unpacking before the drill.  A lot of the cruisers did not even look away from their cell phones and did not pay attention to the demonstrations.  I remember telling our cruising group that if the ship started to sink, we would be doomed!  Perhaps if the video can be watched on a cell phone, people will actually watch it!  I like the convenience of watching a video and then checking in at the muster station.....I don't think it would be any less effective than the old muster drills where no one paid attention.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dcoy said:

After the first major incident at sea, we’ll see big changes back to the old ways. 

If there is a major incident at sea, sadly,  its going to be every man for themselves, regardless of any drill one attends.

• Like 3

You have to watch the safety video to get your e-docs.  And then even though you've watched it, NCL will e-mail you a link to it three or four more times in the week or two leading up to your embarkation asking you to watch the video.  Last month I think I received the final e-mail after we'd boarded the ship.

• Like 1

Watched the video and scanned my card - that was all.

Also, in order to watch anything on TV, there is another video you have to watch. We did that while unpacking on the first day. I think it was about 12 minutes long, just an FYI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2022 at 9:52 AM, hernando52 said:

The last time we cruised was 12/2019 on the Breakaway.  At muster time we assembled in the O'Sheehans part of the ship with a hundreds of our fellow cruisers.....very unorganized with lots of folks who were happily celebrating vacation time with many adult beverages already consumed....  I admittedly had had a drink while unpacking before the drill.  A lot of the cruisers did not even look away from their cell phones and did not pay attention to the demonstrations.  I remember telling our cruising group that if the ship started to sink, we would be doomed!  Perhaps if the video can be watched on a cell phone, people will actually watch it!  I like the convenience of watching a video and then checking in at the muster station.....I don't think it would be any less effective than the old muster drills where no one paid attention.  

You can not check-in without watching the video. Once per person. You can't by pass it. You can't progress in your check-in without it. 

• Thanks 1

Cruised with NCL this past April. Watched the muster drill video when doing the check-in. You had to do it in order to be able to print out your edocs. Watched it like 1-3 times. They also send out emails to remind you to watch it. Once on board, you go to your muster station. At the muster station, 1-2 staffs show you how to put on the life jacket. After watching, they swipe your card and then you are free to go to do whatever you want (book shows, go have lunch, etc.)

• Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 9:16 AM, ggTexasGal said:

Muster Station is printed on everyone's stateroom key/card.

My key card had "Assembly Station B1".  Should an average cruiser know that an assembly station is a muster station, or will the average cruiser think that an assembly station is a meeting point for excursions? 

And where on the ship is "B1"?  Why not just tell us which deck and room?

2 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

My key card had "Assembly Station B1".  Should an average cruiser know that an assembly station is a muster station, or will the average cruiser think that an assembly station is a meeting point for excursions? 

The video tells you to check the back of your door which shows you exactly where to go.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

I am sure that there will be staff members greeting you as you board the ship and can direct you to the right location.

You might what to check some of the Freestyle Dailies for your ship.  Muster Station information is on the right side of your 1st Days' Freestyle Daily.  Once on board ship, there are huge charts on the walls giving your Muster Station information.

7 hours ago, www3traveler said:

I am sure that there will be staff members greeting you as you board the ship and can direct you to the right location.

You might what to check some of the Freestyle Dailies for your ship.  Muster Station information is on the right side of your 1st Days' Freestyle Daily.  Once on board ship, there are huge charts on the walls giving your Muster Station information.

Well, you are right, of course.

My point is that if there is an emergency, and people panic, they are not going to remember where their muster station was when they first boarded.  If you were to guide a cruiser a week after they have had a chance to learn the lay out of the ship to their muster station, they'd remember it, but doing this on the first day, when everything is new, will not stick in the memory of an average cruise passenger. 

I think that anyone who is responsible and cares about making sure that they know where their muster station is, will review the huge charts, or Dailies to keep their muster station in mind.  Unfortunately, most passengers won't bother.

Previously when these new muster procedures were being introduced, it was said by those who post on cc who have been employed in the cruise industry that the muster drill was really more for the crew than the passengers. It was the only time that they got to "herd" passengers to where they would have to go.

• Thanks 1

The new procedure sounds great to me. Watching the video at home vs. listening to someone over a loud speaker I could barely understand or hear in the blazing sun makes sense. As an avid traveler, I always count how many airline rows to the exit door and now adays, everyone should be prepared for an evacuation form any venue at any time 😞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2boyzmom said:

The new procedure sounds great to me. Watching the video at home vs. listening to someone over a loud speaker I could barely understand or hear in the blazing sun makes sense. As an avid traveler, I always count how many airline rows to the exit door and now adays, everyone should be prepared for an evacuation form any venue at any time 😞

You're right, of course. But how many folks do? As admitted earlier, I don't. I highly doubt I'm in the minority, given most people stop at the bar first. 

I will say, I've never counted the number of rows between the exit and my row. 

• Like 1

While I have some concerns about this procedure I do not think it is any less effective than having a bunch of “celebrants” talking laughing, acting like fools so that no one can hear the awful acoustics of the public address system.

it has always been a pet peeve to me that when announcements are made people will not pause their conversation so that they will know what is going on.  It varies by ship, of course, but, boy at times it’s a waste of time.

it is not nearly as bad when you station is inside, like a restaurant or theater but those outside stations are a mess.

21 hours ago, pdmlynek said:

Well, you are right, of course.

My point is that if there is an emergency, and people panic, they are not going to remember where their muster station was when they first boarded.  If you were to guide a cruiser a week after they have had a chance to learn the lay out of the ship to their muster station, they'd remember it, but doing this on the first day, when everything is new, will not stick in the memory of an average cruise passenger. 

I think that anyone who is responsible and cares about making sure that they know where their muster station is, will review the huge charts, or Dailies to keep their muster station in mind.  Unfortunately, most passengers won't bother.

I am thinking that is why it is on your card; usually people have it with them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2boyzmom said:

100% agree. We all should always know where the closest emergency exit is, where the closest fire extinguisher is, location of an AED if provided, how to contact security in a hurry if needed, etc.

Taking the time to read the info on the back of your cabin door and knowing how to get to your muster station could save your life.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruiserbear55 said:

100% agree. We all should always know where the closest emergency exit is, where the closest fire extinguisher is, location of an AED if provided, how to contact security in a hurry if needed, etc.

Taking the time to read the info on the back of your cabin door and knowing how to get to your muster station could save your life.

I was evacuated from a hotel fire in London years ago and quite thankful and I knew where the heck i was going by yes looking at the door! 

• Like 1