Royal Loyal-mini Ecstasy review

zanydoc

Well, we’re back from the Ecstasy cruise and really enjoyed it for the most part. The parking and check in process were well organized and efficient. No one seemed to care about the check in time, just if you had your boarding pass and other documents. The sail away party was a blast with Cruise Director Tyler leading fun line dances on the pool deck. Something funny to note about the first day drinks and Cheers package...There is only a limited amount of alcoholic beverages that is offered until you are waaaay out to sea. Also, although the Cheers is in effect, you still had to pay taxes on the drinks until about 6 PM. Some kind of “Mobile, Alabama” rule. Maybe this is a general rule for all Carnival Cheers packages out of all ports? No clue.

The ancillary food was terrific..Guy’s burgers, Blue iguana tacos/burritos, Pizza pirate and deli were all delicious. The dining room appetizers and desserts were all wonderful, but I think the dining room main courses were lackluster and in one case with the “short ribs” inedible. A table mate and I were unable to cut the meat with a knife and had to send it back. I was disappointed as I am a big red meat fan. I tried the Prime Rib another night and it wasn’t much improved. Perhaps lower quality cuts of meat are occurring overall,  just like on Royal Caribbean. Oh, well-something good could always be found! I actually tried the Indian sampler and thought it was interesting and delicious. Every soup I sampled was flavorful and tasty.  I thought the “Showtime” at dinner with the singing and dancing was a lot of fun and I enjoyed participating with the staff. My friend and I had a girl’s Sea Day Brunch on the second sea day and absolutely loved it. I enjoyed the Chia seed pudding and Eggs Benedict which was much yummier than the Benedict on Royal.

Loved the live musical entertainment especially those featured in the atrium bar area. Best mojito of the cruise could also be found at the Atrium bar. Loved, loved, loved the Alchemy bar and all the different drinks I got to try there. The Rolls Royce coffee bar was excellent and I enjoyed at least 2 coffee beverages from that venue each day. I spent quite a bit of time in the Serenity area in the Jacuzzis and reading , but it was not as “serene” as I would have liked as there were several groups of adults back there ACTING like children, lol! 2 wonderful servers took care of us out there and did a great job helping us utilize the Cheers package! Our room was R3 which was a double porthole oceanview room, technically classified as an inside cabin and I paid an inside rate for it. It could only sleep 2, but it was quite large and comfortable-just a bit noisy and shaky during docking. 

Debarkation was a bit of a cluster. It took us over 45 minutes to get off the ship even though we were the first muster station “A” to be called off with our carry on luggage. There was a gigantic line winding all around deck 7 with what seemed like the entire populace of the ship trying to debark in line all at once. No bueno. I would recommend leaving your room with your luggage, using your Cheers to go get a nice Cappuccino, and finding your happy spot to either people watch , read or catch up on your emails and wait until the line dies down to get off the ship. Although the ship was small, I thought it had a lot to offer and was glad I gave the old girl a try! Thanks to everyone who chimed in with advice about her and I will try a bigger Carnival ship next time! Happy Sailing! 

• Like 13

17 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

Also, although the Cheers is in effect, you still had to pay taxes on the drinks until about 6 PM. Some kind of “Mobile, Alabama” rule.

There are a few Port Specific laws that effect Cheers. TX & NY don't allow cheers on Day 1 Period. Alabama (my wonderful 🙄 home state) requires to collect taxes and have a separate stock of alcohol to be tracked by the State Alcohol Board, so if you were there once you hit international waters the bar actually closes so they can remove and completely restock all the bars.

Glad you enjoyed Carnival!

• Like 3

Glad you enjoyed it. I was on Ecstasy in June and was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the ship since it is leaving the fleet on a couple of months. The debarkation issues were the same on my cruise. 

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing!  Glad you had a good time!  We will be on her in a few weeks. 

Do you recall what time the first walk-off group could get off on disembarkation day?

2 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Glad you enjoyed her! I’ll admit, I was a little nervous to hear how it went. Glad you went in with an open mind and had a great time. What’s next on your cruising schedule??

It really did go well and will definitely try Carnival again! Up next is a Mother/Daughter birthday cruise on Allure of the Seas in October for my Mom’s 90th birthday and my not gonna tell birthday, Lol! There will be tiaras involved! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

Thanks for sharing!  Glad you had a good time!  We will be on her in a few weeks. 

Do you recall what time the first walk-off group could get off on disembarkation day?

Yes, they made the announcement at 7:50 AM. Were ready with our luggage waiting one deck below on 6, but the line had already formed and was long. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CodyMiles1994 said:

Alabama (my wonderful 🙄 home state) requires to collect taxes and have a separate stock of alcohol to be tracked by the State Alcohol Board, so if you were there once you hit international waters the bar actually closes so they can remove and completely restock all the bars.

That’s really interesting. When in a US port, I thought all ships had to pay sales tax to that state or territory on any drinks. It’s been awhile since I cruised anyone other than Carnival though. 

Zanydoc, I’m so glad you enjoyed your cruise. Ecstasy was the first cruise we took our kids on back probably 15 or so years ago. Several years later, we went on Breeze and they all commented that while they liked all the stuff to do on that ship, Ecstasy really had everything you needed and they liked the size.

I do not understand what the heck Carnival is doing with debarcation since the restart but all three cruises I have been on since October it’s been a disaster. I just pick a high number and chill. Or rather, enjoy the weather of the home port since I’m flying back to MN that day. 😊😎

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zanydoc said:

Well, we’re back from the Ecstasy cruise and really enjoyed it for the most part. The parking and check in process were well organized and efficient. No one seemed to care about the check in time, just if you had your boarding pass and other documents. The sail away party was a blast with Cruise Director Tyler leading fun line dances on the pool deck. Something funny to note about the first day drinks and Cheers package...There is only a limited amount of alcoholic beverages that is offered until you are waaaay out to sea. Also, although the Cheers is in effect, you still had to pay taxes on the drinks until about 6 PM. Some kind of “Mobile, Alabama” rule. Maybe this is a general rule for all Carnival Cheers packages out of all ports? No clue.

The ancillary food was terrific..Guy’s burgers, Blue iguana tacos/burritos, Pizza pirate and deli were all delicious. The dining room appetizers and desserts were all wonderful, but I think the dining room main courses were lackluster and in one case with the “short ribs” inedible. A table mate and I were unable to cut the meat with a knife and had to send it back. I was disappointed as I am a big red meat fan. I tried the Prime Rib another night and it wasn’t much improved. Perhaps lower quality cuts of meat are occurring overall,  just like on Royal Caribbean. Oh, well-something good could always be found! I actually tried the Indian sampler and thought it was interesting and delicious. Every soup I sampled was flavorful and tasty.  I thought the “Showtime” at dinner with the singing and dancing was a lot of fun and I enjoyed participating with the staff. My friend and I had a girl’s Sea Day Brunch on the second sea day and absolutely loved it. I enjoyed the Chia seed pudding and Eggs Benedict which was much yummier than the Benedict on Royal.

Loved the live musical entertainment especially those featured in the atrium bar area. Best mojito of the cruise could also be found at the Atrium bar. Loved, loved, loved the Alchemy bar and all the different drinks I got to try there. The Rolls Royce coffee bar was excellent and I enjoyed at least 2 coffee beverages from that venue each day. I spent quite a bit of time in the Serenity area in the Jacuzzis and reading , but it was not as “serene” as I would have liked as there were several groups of adults back there ACTING like children, lol! 2 wonderful servers took care of us out there and did a great job helping us utilize the Cheers package! Our room was R3 which was a double porthole oceanview room, technically classified as an inside cabin and I paid an inside rate for it. It could only sleep 2, but it was quite large and comfortable-just a bit noisy and shaky during docking. 

Debarkation was a bit of a cluster. It took us over 45 minutes to get off the ship even though we were the first muster station “A” to be called off with our carry on luggage. There was a gigantic line winding all around deck 7 with what seemed like the entire populace of the ship trying to debark in line all at once. No bueno. I would recommend leaving your room with your luggage, using your Cheers to go get a nice Cappuccino, and finding your happy spot to either people watch , read or catch up on your emails and wait until the line dies down to get off the ship. Although the ship was small, I thought it had a lot to offer and was glad I gave the old girl a try! Thanks to everyone who chimed in with advice about her and I will try a bigger Carnival ship next time! Happy Sailing! 

Nice review,, she will be doing her swN so g soon and then headed for the old cruise ship haven in the sky.  She served long and true.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zanydoc said:

It really did go well and will definitely try Carnival again! Up next is a Mother/Daughter birthday cruise on Allure of the Seas in October for my Mom’s 90th birthday and my not gonna tell birthday, Lol! There will be tiaras involved! 

Whoop! Whoop! I’m sure it will be fantastic!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Whoop! Whoop! I’m sure it will be fantastic!

Pardon me, OP. Megan would you please take a look at post 221 on the Carnival Permanent changes thread and verify that is the regularly served strip loin in the MDR. Now back to the show, Zanydoc! 🙂 

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

Pardon me, OP. Megan would you please take a look at post 221 on the Carnival Permanent changes thread and verify that is the regularly served strip loin in the MDR. Now back to the show, Zanydoc! 🙂 

You’re excused, certainly!  Although, clearly I have no idea what you are referring to-but the show must go on! Or not...Lol! Thanks again for all the feedback, Carnival Peeps-loved the experience and will definitely try it out again! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

That’s really interesting. When in a US port, I thought all ships had to pay sales tax to that state or territory on any drinks. It’s been awhile since I cruised anyone other than Carnival though. 

Zanydoc, I’m so glad you enjoyed your cruise. Ecstasy was the first cruise we took our kids on back probably 15 or so years ago. Several years later, we went on Breeze and they all commented that while they liked all the stuff to do on that ship, Ecstasy really had everything you needed and they liked the size.

I do not understand what the heck Carnival is doing with debarcation since the restart but all three cruises I have been on since October it’s been a disaster. I just pick a high number and chill. Or rather, enjoy the weather of the home port since I’m flying back to MN that day. 😊😎

I just wanted to say a little something about your comment regarding sales tax and such on debarkation day. I am blessed to have cruised with Royal enough over the years to be Diamond Plus with them and don’t really know about this stuff. I get 5 drinks per day included on my Sea Pass card and don’t normally get any additional drink packages as a result. There are no additional taxes or gratuities involved with that.  So, I am a total novice of the drink package scenario. Thank you for clarifying how it goes! And I agree, Ecstasy really did have every element to make a terrific 4 day cruise. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

Is there facial recognition at the Mobile port?  If not that explains some of the cluster on debarking.  We cruise several lines and it seems that Carnival and Princess have the hardest time with moving people from a ship.

Astonishingly, they did have facial recognition!  I was very pleasantly surprised by this for such a small little port. The hold up wasn’t in the port itself-that all went very quickly and smoothly. It was definitely a bottleneck on the ship. They routed everyone into this very narrow area to debark and it seemed like there were a lot of people just standing around clogging it. Either waiting for others in their party or not having their sea pass cards out or even with them. I also think there were a lot of people with later debarkation times, from different muster stations in line with us and they shouldn’t have been. Because it was a 4 day, I feel like most passengers did not put their luggage out the night before and did carry it off. My husband and I are light packers and we each had one small duffle, whereas the majority of peeps had the really big roller bags that they were hauling around. I’m not really sure what could be done to improve this, other than people waiting in their designated spots to be called into the line when they are supposed to go. 

Oh, I had one more thing I wanted to say about this cruise and especially in comparison to some of the older Royal ships, like say Brilliance or Radiance. For an old gal, there were a few rust spots around and about, which my Coast Guard husband feels some crazy need to point out, Lol...there were no weird smells anywhere! I have this dreadful superpower of supersmell and I usually really have a tough time with odors  on some of the ships-especially those mystery foul sewage smells that emanate from not only the bathrooms, but random spots throughout. I did not detect these odiferous emanations anywhere on the ship! Now, there were definitely a few passengers who didn’t pass the sniff test, but to each his own! Kudos to Ecstasy for not being a stinky ship! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zanydoc said:

Oh, I had one more thing I wanted to say about this cruise and especially in comparison to some of the older Royal ships, like say Brilliance or Radiance. For an old gal, there were a few rust spots around and about, which my Coast Guard husband feels some crazy need to point out, Lol...there were no weird smells anywhere! I have this dreadful superpower of supersmell and I usually really have a tough time with odors  on some of the ships-especially those mystery foul sewage smells that emanate from not only the bathrooms, but random spots throughout. I did not detect these odiferous emanations anywhere on the ship! Now, there were definitely a few passengers who didn’t pass the sniff test, but to each his own! Kudos to Ecstasy for not being a stinky ship! 

Thanks about the report of facial recognition.  On some cruiselines you are asked to wait in cabins until your number is called.  No blocked stairways or hallways and you are more comfortable.  These same lines still are able to clean the rooms for the next voyage passengers to board.  I don't know why Carnival can't improve their process.

Also good to know about the smells!  We sail on her in September.  We no longer book aft cabins on Carnival due to horrendous smells on some other ships.  Like you I have superpower supersmeller also😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

Thanks about the report of facial recognition.  On some cruiselines you are asked to wait in cabins until your number is called.  No blocked stairways or hallways and you are more comfortable.  These same lines still are able to clean the rooms for the next voyage passengers to board.  I don't know why Carnival can't improve their process.

Also good to know about the smells!  We sail on her in September.  We no longer book aft cabins on Carnival due to horrendous smells on some other ships.  Like you I have superpower supersmeller also😄

I see that you are right there in Alabama-so close, maybe? I would definitely sail on this ship again given the chance-just for the cost and proximity to where I live for sure! 

Great review, I'm so glad you had a lovely cruise. She has a wonderful crew for her last year. I was on her first cruise from Mobile in March, and will be on her last sailing October 10th. It will be my 6th sailing on Ecstasy, she took me on my first solo cruise in January 2001. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zanydoc said:

I see that you are right there in Alabama-so close, maybe? I would definitely sail on this ship again given the chance-just for the cost and proximity to where I live for sure! 

You are probably closer than us.  Our son lives in Gulf Breeze and he can get to Mobile quicker than we can.

On 8/5/2022 at 1:10 PM, BlerkOne said:

Not bad for the oldest ship in the Carnival fleet, eh?

This!  We love this class of ship and will miss them when they are all gone.  We always felt we got more "personal" service when we cruised these smaller ships.

• Like 2