Covid Isolation and Refund Process

billco

Tested positive on last day of Enchanted Princess 14  day Norway Iceland cruise and am now spending 5 days in isolation at a hotel near Heathrow Airport. We'll need to spend another 5 days in UK before flying home. Princess changed our EzAir flights at no cost to us. Big relief, as doing it independently  would have cost thousands. Just wondering experience of others who have gone through similar experience. Which expenses did Princess refund and which had to go to insurance. How long did the process take. I imagine it will take a while and it all won't be to my liking, but Princess has been great so far, except this hotel sucks.

2 minutes ago, billco said:

Tested positive on last day of Enchanted Princess 14  day Norway Iceland cruise and am now spending 5 days in isolation at a hotel near Heathrow Airport. We'll need to spend another 5 days in UK before flying home. Princess changed our EzAir flights at no cost to us. Big relief, as doing it independently  would have cost thousands. Just wondering experience of others who have gone through similar experience. Which expenses did Princess refund and which had to go to insurance. How long did the process take. I imagine it will take a while and it all won't be to my liking, but Princess has been great so far, except this hotel sucks.

were you "reguired" to test that last day of the cruise?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, voljeep said:

were you "reguired" to test that last day of the cruise?

No. DW was showing symptons, so we did a self test that was positive and then reported to medical who confirmed.

• Like 1

We experienced similar situation in February.  AON refunded hotel expense, flight change fees, isolation time on ship, and cancelled cruise fare, all via separate checks.  We filed a Trip Interruption claim online as soon as we returned home.  AON reimbursements took 3 months from time of filing claim. 

The isolation meal allowance ($100 pp, per day) has to be claimed from Princess, that took 4 months to be reimbursed.

So sorry you have to go through this experience. Have a safe trip home!

• Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We experienced similar situation in February.  AON refunded hotel expense, flight change fees, isolation time on ship, and cancelled cruise fare, all via separate checks.  We filed a Trip Interruption claim online as soon as we returned home.  AON reimbursements took 3 months from time of filing claim. 

The isolation meal allowance ($100 pp, per day) has to be claimed from Princess, that took 4 months to be reimbursed.

So sorry you have to go through this experience. Have a safe trip home!

Thanks! How did you claim $100 pp per day for meals? The website seems to be setup itemizing individual meals. Right now, we haven't felt like eating.

Edited by billco

1 hour ago, billco said:

What hotel?  Are you able to go out for food?  Sorry you have to deal with this.

7 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

What hotel?  Are you able to go out for food?  Sorry you have to deal with this.

Radisson Blu Hotel. Not supposed to leave room. We have tried UberEats a couple of time, but I have to go out to the front entrance to pick it up. Hotel service is terrible. We get to leave after 5 days. Will be going to another hotel for the remaining 5 days.

Edited by billco

7 minutes ago, billco said:

Radisson Blu Hotel. Not supposed to leave room. We have tried UberEats a couple of time, but I have to go out to the front entrance to pick it up. Hotel service is terrible. We get to leave after 5 days. Will be going to another hotel for the remaining 5 days.

We would move too.  I had read before that since they do not have quarantine any more in the UK, that guests were able to go out for food pickup. Maybe someone that previously went through this could comment?

Maybe you could order groceries from a store, if you have a mini frig?

Hope you recovery quickly.

1 hour ago, billco said:

Thanks! How did you claim $100 pp per day for meals? The website seems to be setup itemizing individual meals. Right now, we haven't felt like eating.

Below you will find a link to the Princess Refund Request page (www.princess.com/refund-request).  We submitted a copy of our hotel statement with the request to prove we stayed in isolation for the 5 days.  No meal receipts were needed.

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/customerCare.page?type=refund&topic=1

Did you obtain the 5 page medical report from the ship's medical staff?  AON requires this for your claim.  If not, you can request it via the below web site from Carnival's Medical Records Dept.  They will email you the report via a secure link.  This only took a couple of days to receive after we made the request.  I also attached the Princess Authorization form that must be submitted with your request for your medical records.

MRecordsRequests@carnival.com

Princess Medical Release Form.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, billco said:

There's no quarantine requirement in the UK. Legally, you're free to go anywhere even if you have COVID. Morally, it's up to you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billco said:

Sorry to hear about the hotel.  A friend of mine was in this situation and she just told me that she got her reimbursement a couple of weeks ago and that was from late May/early June.  So, about two months is maybe what you are to expect.  
She also knows all the ins and outs and picked her own hotel.  It’s my understanding that they will reimburse up to a certain amount .. so she just paid the extra.  
You mentioned you don’t feel much like eating but be sure to keep your strength up.  You will be able to fight off the infection much easier if you keeping up your nutrition.

Best of luck to you in getting back home soon!  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, polk01 said:

There's no quarantine requirement in the UK. Legally, you're free to go anywhere even if you have COVID. Morally, it's up to you.

I thought I read that. But, I also read that insurance doesn’t cover you if you don’t follow Princess covid health protocols. Just looking through Princess coverage.

Anyway, not going to debate. Just found this interesting.  I wouldn’t go out, I’d order food and pretend I was on the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

Below you will find a link to the Princess Refund Request page (www.princess.com/refund-request).  We submitted a copy of our hotel statement with the request to prove we stayed in isolation for the 5 days.  No meal receipts were needed.

Did you obtain the 5 page medical report from the ship's medical staff?  AON requires this for your claim.  If not, you can request it via the below web site from Carnival's Medical Records Dept.  They will email you the report via a secure link.  This only took a couple of days to receive after we made the request.  I also attached the Princess Authorization form that must be submitted with your request for your medical records.

Princess Medical Release Form.pdf 573.38 kB · 2 downloads

That is great information for the OP and any of us in a similar situation.  
Thank you.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Princess Medical Release Form.pdf 573.38 kB · 3 downloads

You have been really helpful. My DW got a positive test report and we each got a Proof of Isolation form. I wish we both had gotten tested, as I started showing symptoms the next morning.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, polk01 said:

Princess told us we needed to isolate for 5 days. I think we did the morally right thing by telling Princess my DW tested positive on a self test the last night of the cruise. Otherwise, we would be flying home today.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, antsp said:

What possessed you to tell Princess 

It was a tough decision. We had three days in London before our flight, which would have been today. In hindsight, those three days would have been wasted as we have been very sick. I doubt we could conceal the symptoms today. I wouldn't want to fly knowing I had Covid.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

On 8/7/2022 at 8:08 PM, LACruiser88 said:

Princess Medical Release Form.pdf 573.38 kB · 10 downloads

@LACruiser88Just to clarify. Did you get $100 pp per day for meals without itemizing meals?

1 hour ago, billco said:

@LACruiser88Just to clarify. Did you get $100 pp per day for meals without itemizing meals?

Yes, that is correct.  The check sent to us by Princess was for $1,000.  Btw, I only tested positive (asymptomatic), my DW was negative. 

I did call Princess after 3 months of waiting for the check.  I spoke to a very nice lady in their Customer Solutions Dept (? I think that was the name of the Dept?).  She told me that she would expedite our request, 2 weeks later the check arrived.  Their number is (800) 545-0008, Option #1.  Btw, Option #1 states that it is for some other service, but that is the correct Option.

I finally obtained that number after 3 hours on the phone and speaking to half a dozen rep's!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Yes, that is correct.  The check sent to us by Princess was for $1,000.  Btw, I only tested positive (asymptomatic), my DW was negative. 

I did call Princess after 3 months of waiting for the check.  I spoke to a very nice lady in their Customer Solutions Dept (? I think that was the name of the Dept?).  She told me that she would expedite our request, 2 weeks later the check arrived.  Their number is (800) 545-0008, Option #1.  Btw, Option #1 states that it is for some other service, but that is the correct Option.

I finally obtained that number after 3 hours on the phone and speaking to half a dozen rep's!

Sounds like what I went through trying to get our flight changed. Thanks again for your help.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

I spoke to a very nice lady in their Customer Solutions Dept (? I think that was the name of the Dept?).  She told me that she would expedite our request, 2 weeks later the check arrived.  Their number is (800) 545-0008, Option #1.  Btw, Option #1 states that it is for some other service, but that is the correct Option.

Interesting that Customer Solutions can be reached by calling the published number for en route issues.  Will have to remember that.

• Like 1

I’m so sorry to hear you got covid on the last night and are going through all of this.  Thank you for being thoughtful enough to tell Princess and do the right thing, not a lot of that these days.  Hope you recover quickly, can move to a better hotel and get reimbursed sooner rather than later.  

• Like 7

7 hours ago, kiwimum said:

We filed all our documents for reimbursement off our TA isolation in May and have yet to hear anything.

Same thing here (wait, our TA isolation was June 13 to 18, sorry) other than the following email July 26th, 35 days after filing the claim with Aon. 

"We apologize that your claim is taking longer than initially expected. We appreciate your patience as we work through an increase in claims and allow our team members the additional time necessary to appropriately review each claim submission.  Should we need any additional information, we will notify you.

Thank You,
Aon Affinity Travel Practice"

The claim shows as assigned but not yet in progress.