Which Queen Mary 2 Balcony Cabin

shetlandtim

My first post so please be gentle !

We are planning a longish trip to Canada next year for our special birthdays and want to return home on the Queen Mary 2. We have never been on a cruise before and need some advice on which cabin to choose.  We are planning on having balcony cabin and want something midships as I am not sure we are going to be good sailors. We also something which will be quiet. Any suggestions for which cabin would be best.  Many thanks

Edited by shetlandtim

• shetlandtim changed the title to Which Queen Mary 2 Balcony Cabin

There will be lots of opinions shared, I'm sure, so I'll jump in with mine, too. 

I've done two TAs, and have had both an obstructed balcony on Deck 8 and a sheltered balcony on deck 6. 

I didn't notice noise from either, (deck 8 was forward, close to Commodore Club, deck 6 was below the King's Court/promenade deck) but preferred the sheltered balcony to the obstructed, simply for what you're able to see. 

The lower down on the ship you are, the less movement you should feel, so the sheltered balconies on decks 4-6 might be your best bet.  

I'll be doing a TA in November, my first in an oceanview (deck 4 forward), which is right above the theatre. Fingers crossed that the minimal noise trend continues. 

Also - where in Canada will you be visiting? 

I would avoid cabins with connecting doors.  We had a chatty neighbor once and it was a real problem.  As far as we could tell she was traveling alone and using the cabin phone; not what you'd expect for long conversations!

• Like 2

We've only had a connecting door once [room 4181] but never noticed any noise from next door.

The sheltered balcony grades are BU, BV, BY & BZ - graded from midships where there is the least motion to either forward or aft where there can be more motion.

On the deck plans, you can see what is above and below - and to some degree what is across the hallway from each room.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, shetlandtim said:

We are planning a longish trip to Canada next year for our special birthdays and want to return home on the Queen Mary 2. We have never been on a cruise before and need some advice on which cabin to choose.  We are planning on having balcony cabin and want something midships as I am not sure we are going to be good sailors. We also something which will be quiet. Any suggestions for which cabin would be best.  Many thanks

We enjoy booking Britannia Club many times which is mostly mid ship and does have a balcony. Also has it's own restaurant with table placement for all three meals.

This time we are visited by the Upgrade Fairy and will be placed in a Princess Grill Cabin which is Mid Ship - Forward and looking forward to experiencing it for the first time on the QM2. All those have balconies.

I recommend a sheltered balcony, midships. Low and middle gives you the best ride if it gets rough, and you never know with the north Atlantic how it will be. I second the advice to get a cabin on the south-facing side. It gives more light and it can be warm, even on a cool/cold day. I would not go for an obstructed balcony. Those lifeboats are VERY ORANGE and on a sunny day, they can give the room an orange glow. .

Just be aware of what you're getting. The sheltered balcony is actually in the hull of the ship and is not glass-fronted. The minus is that you can't see the ocean when you're sitting. But if you stand and look out, you get a great view of the sea.

Don't worry about being on deck 6 under the open promenade deck. I've never had noise issues being under there, or under the buffet. 

On 8/10/2022 at 10:08 PM, TheOldBear said:

We've only had a connecting door once [room 4181] but never noticed any noise from next door.

The sheltered balcony grades are BU, BV, BY & BZ - graded from midships where there is the least motion to either forward or aft where there can be more motion.

On the deck plans, you can see what is above and below - and to some degree what is across the hallway from each room.

Thanks.

Where can I see the deck plans

On 8/10/2022 at 9:28 PM, shetlandtim said:

Although many champion sheltered, one hated it. No view while seated, plus looking out from the stateroom, it was like being inside a tin box, natural light just duller.  Steel fronted balconies also don’t work for one.  Go for a level 11 glass fronted balcony midships (BB) or Club (with all it’s additional benefits) Have crossed in 11101, 11105, 11109, 12079 and 12075.   Club is now one’s first choice.  All staterooms on starboard side are good for tracking the sun on an eastbound voyage.   The noble queen is made for the Atlantic, taking it in her stride majestically.  Be impressed and enjoy.
Welcome to CC - No doubt the knowledgeable CC cruisers will give all the advice needed.

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Are we talking about the Atlantic? Surely that is not the case?

Sorry ,thanks for correction, should check what I type.

they are going to Canada from UK , so I meant to say going west bound  starboard is north and port is South.  If they want sun on balcony then answer is still the Port side. 

3 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Sorry ,thanks for correction, should check what I type.

they are going to Canada from UK , so I meant to say going west bound  starboard is north and port is South.  If they want sun on balcony then answer is still the Port side. 

The OP is returning home to UK after a long trip to Canada and probably looking to make it a memorable homecoming, therefore a cruise (sorry a crossing) on the QM.

You'll get lots of opinions about the sheltered balconies. Personally, we don't mind them and they're our second choice for a crossing. Avoid the ones on Deck 4 above the Royal Court Theatre as there can be noise. (music, but it can be disturbing). Deck 5 is our favorite of the bunch.

Our very favorite rooms are some that have not-very-obstructed views on Deck 8. There is a link on this board with pictures of the even-numbered cabins. Our first choice is near the rescue craft (8043-8050?) The deck plans are very good to check the location as well. Although a fully-obstructed cabin will have a orange lifeboat covering the view (and casting a strange orange glow) - others have a mostly clear view with lots of light. Another advantage of the ones over the small rescue craft is that you're right near the B elevators. (Exterior photos will also show the smaller rescue craft to give you a better idea)

Edited by MarkBearSF

For goodness sake! - never seen so much muddled thinking! The originator of this thread said:

"We are planning a longish trip to Canada next year for our special birthdays and want to return home on the Queen Mary 2." i.e only coming home to UK (Shetland) on the QM2.

Therefore travelling East.

Therefore starboard side faces south (unless she's going to reverse the whole way).

Therefore best chance of any sun on a balcony is a starboard side cabin.

A few have got this right, but not many!

Edited by bbtablet
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We had a Britannia Club deck 13 balcony, which is supposedly a little more updated than the BC deck 12 staterooms. Even though these cabins are almost at the top of the ship and very far forward, we felt almost no movement the whole cruise, likely in large part due to the very smooth seas the whole way.

1 hour ago, taxatty said:

We had a Britannia Club deck 13 balcony, which is supposedly a little more updated than the BC deck 12 staterooms. Even though these cabins are almost at the top of the ship and very far forward, we felt almost no movement the whole cruise, likely in large part due to the very smooth seas the whole way.

We too in 17 was assigned to BC on Deck 13 just after the refit the year before. Enjoyed the place cabins which looked better than ones on Deck 12. Even the bathroom had a Shower Door added and the Balcony Door was better operating. We even got to look into the bridge being so close. Also we enjoyed smooth sailing in the cabin. Only disadvantage was the placement of the cabin to the Dining Room at the other end of the ship and 11 deck down. We did enjoy anytime we wanted to go on deck close to the Sun Deck.