coffee on the Discovery

ImperialLady

We are coffee drinkers...especially in the morning. My family knows it's a LAW 😉not to ask me a question until I am on my second cup in the morning. How is the coffee in the buffet? and could we fill a carafe to bring back to our cabin? We purchased the Princess Plus package so I know we will take advantage of the speciality coffees, but I am speaking about morning coffee. Where do you think we could get a carafe filled to bring to the cabin? We will bring our own insulated carafe AND do they serve half and half or cream? Again thanks to all who answer the questions from those of us who ask. 

19 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

We are coffee drinkers...especially in the morning. My family knows it's a LAW 😉not to ask me a question until I am on my second cup in the morning. How is the coffee in the buffet? and could we fill a carafe to bring back to our cabin? We purchased the Princess Plus package so I know we will take advantage of the speciality coffees, but I am speaking about morning coffee. Where do you think we could get a carafe filled to bring to the cabin? We will bring our own insulated carafe AND do they serve half and half or cream? Again thanks to all who answer the questions from those of us who ask. 

When I was on the Discovery in April, I always got my brewed coffee at the International Cafe. Can't speak about the buffet on Discovery because in my experience, it's always been pretty much awful so I never get coffee there anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

How is the coffee in the buffet? Depends on how picky you are. and could we fill a carafe to bring back to our cabin? Yes...but, fill using a cup. Don't put the carafe under the spout. 

AND do they serve half and half or cream? Yes. 

However, why bother? Just fill out the door tag for early morning delivery with your best guess for when you will wake up OR call room service as soon as you wake up. Easier than walking to the buffet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

When I was on the Discovery in April, I always got my brewed coffee at the International Cafe. Can't speak about the buffet on Discovery because in my experience, it's always been pretty much awful so I never get coffee there anymore.

And the espressos and Americano's were very good as well.

• Like 2

If I didn't want to leave the room I'd just order 2 Vanilla Lattes from room service via the TV. If I wanted "real" coffee I could order a red eye or a black eye. (Nothing like getting a regular coffee with either one or two extra shots of espresso added. 🙃)

We've never sailed Discover but did sail Royal in May. We just wandered down to IC for our morning coffee or, if we were heading somewhere else specific, we would grab coffee at Princess Live Cafe. It was nice to have that venue available and it was less busy than IC.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

We like the fresh brewed coffee at the International Cafe. Room service coffee usually is barely warm, plus it’s not the fresh brewed that we like.

If the buffet has the specialty coffee bar, then yes I would fill up there. It’s unlimited if you have the plus package or the coffee package. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

However, why bother? Just fill out the door tag for early morning delivery with your best guess for when you will wake up OR call room service as soon as you wake up. Easier than walking to the buffet.

I have never gotten more than luke warm coffee from room service. ☹️

Edited by ImperialLady

If you order a ca

1 hour ago, ImperialLady said:

We are coffee drinkers...especially in the morning. My family knows it's a LAW 😉not to ask me a question until I am on my second cup in the morning. How is the coffee in the buffet? and could we fill a carafe to bring back to our cabin? We purchased the Princess Plus package so I know we will take advantage of the specialty coffees, but I am speaking about morning coffee. Where do you think we could get a carafe filled to bring to the cabin? We will bring our own insulated carafe AND do they serve half and half or cream? Again thanks to all who answer the questions from those of us who ask. 

Buffet coffee is prepared from ground coffee. It is fairly decent.

You probably can not fill or have your own carafe filled to carry back to your cabin, and why even bother when you can get a carafe delivered at no charge. Just order from room service for morning delivery, you set the time, and a carafe will be delivered to your cabin. No need to bring your own container. Ask for half & half or cream when you order.

If you wish a better brewed coffee order from the International Cafe. Order how you like it, cream & sugar or whatever. If you require a lot order two large cups. You should be able to order using the Ocean Now app on your device or on the TV. Brewed coffee at the International Cafe uses better beans than the ground coffee in the buffet or the DR. Again, since you have the plus package there will be no charge for the I.C. brewed coffee.

Edited by skynight
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Thrak said:

If I didn't want to leave the room I'd just order 2 Vanilla Lattes from room service via the TV. If I wanted "real" coffee I could order a red eye or a black eye. (Nothing like getting a regular coffee with either one or two extra shots of espresso added. 🙃)

We've never sailed Discover but did sail Royal in May. We just wandered down to IC for our morning coffee or, if we were heading somewhere else specific, we would grab coffee at Princess Live Cafe. It was nice to have that venue available and it was less busy than IC.

Thanks....no expresso that early in the morning for me! My son gets up very early..at home it's between 4:40 and 5:30 am. He was usually up by 6am the last cruise we took. They are in the cabin next to us and he always brings back a carafe of . I am counting on him doing the same on this cruise🥰 I guess I will leave it up to him as to where he gets it, except the buffet.

47 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

We like the fresh brewed coffee at the International Cafe. Room service coffee usually is barely warm, plus it’s not the fresh brewed that we like.

If the buffet has the specialty coffee bar, then yes I would fill up there. It’s unlimited if you have the plus package or the coffee package. 

We have the plus package...fresh brewed coffee IMO is the best.

6 minutes ago, skynight said:

If you order a ca

Buffet coffee is prepared from ground coffee. It is fairly decent.

You probably can not fill or have your own carafe filled to carry back to your cabin, and why even bother when you can get a carafe delivered at no charge. Just order from room service for morning delivery, you set the time, and a carafe will be delivered to your cabin. No need to bring your own container. Ask for half & half or cream when you order.

If you wish a better brewed coffee order from the International Cafe. Order how you like it, cream & sugar or whatever. If you require a lot order two large cups. You should be able to order using the Ocean Now app on your device or on the TV. Brewed coffee at the International Cafe uses better beans than the ground coffee in the buffet or the DR. Again, since you have the plus package there will be no charge for the I.C. brewed coffee.

I have never had much luck getting hot coffee from room service. Thanks for all your and everyone's suggestions. Sounds like the International Cafe might be our best bet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

We have the plus package...fresh brewed coffee IMO is the best.

Oh, there is a coffee bar at Princess Live! venue that serves the same things at IC. I don't remember their hours but it was in the mornings from about 6 or 7 to like 11am.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Oh, there is a coffee bar at Princess Live! venue that serves the same things at IC. I don't remember their hours but it was in the mornings from about 6 or 7 to like 11am.

My wife loved having that option available. It's also simple to have them add a shot of morning cheer to the coffee since it's an all-in-one venue.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

. . . could we fill a carafe to bring back to our cabin? . . .

Where do you think we could get a carafe filled to bring to the cabin? We will bring our own insulated carafe . . .

---

On our cruises we usually bring our 40-ounce thermal container to fill with coffee in the morning.

On Discovery at the buffet beverage stations there was no problem for us getting the container refilled with coffee every morning.

If a crew member was at the station he or she usually did the refill for us.

If we were early before any crew was there, we did the refill ourselves -- taking a clean cup from the station and filling cup by cup into the thermal container.

---

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RSS from SF said:

---

On our cruises we usually bring our 40-ounce thermal container to fill with coffee in the morning.

On Discovery at the buffet beverage stations there was no problem for us getting the container refilled with coffee every morning.

If a crew member was at the station he or she usually did the refill for us.

If we were early before any crew was there, we did the refill ourselves -- taking a clean cup from the station and filling cup by cup into the thermal container.

Good for you. So many ignore the sign. Maybe it should be bigger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ImperialLady said:

I have never had much luck getting hot coffee from room service. Thanks for all your and everyone's suggestions. Sounds like the International Cafe might be our best bet.

We always pick a cabin on lido deck because I'm a very early riser, like around 4:30 to 5 so I like the buffet coffee cause it is ground on I believe most of the royal class ships. I know the Regal had good coffee. But you have to understand, good coffee to me could be not good to someone else. All the coffee I drank in the army dulled the taste buds 🤣 We had a marching song we sang " they say that in the army the coffee's mighty fine...it looks like muddy water and tastes like turpentine" 🤣 

Edited by Moondogy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, tonit964 said:

The coffee bar by Princess Live also serves cold specialty coffee or only hot coffee? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, tonit964 said:

What exactly is Princess Live? a cafe? a performance venue? both?

8 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

What exactly is Princess Live? a cafe? a performance venue? both?

It’s an entertainment venue, it has trivia and game type activities going on. There is a bar just outside of the venue that also is a coffee bar. It’s kind of like Explorer’s Lounge.

Edited by tonit964
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

It’s an entertainment venue, it has trivia and game type activities going on. There is a bar just outside of the venue that also is a coffee bar. It’s kind of like Explorer’s Lounge.

Thanks, sounds like an interesting place to spend some time. 

• Like 2