Itinerary change for Ventura

pete14

We received notification of a change to our itinerary for Ventura N230 to Portugal and Spain at the end of October. For operational reasons probably because there are several more ships in port that day, including Iona, we will not be calling at Lisbon on Nov 9, but instead, on Nov 8, we will be calling at Tangiers. Has anybody been there? Are there any interesting excursions you may have done because the city itself doesn’t look very attractive? I have checked our insurance and Morocco is covered on our Europe policy which is good. 

Edited by pete14

39 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

P&O shore excursions for Tangiers should appear soon in your "My P&O Cruises", if not there already, to give you some ideas.

There is also this from this site:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/shore-excursions/port/5828/?stay=1&posfrom=1

Thanks for that. I think an excursion will be the order of the day. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

P&O, change of itinerary. surely not. Has this ever happened before? 

You're not even going to the same continent.

Don't forget to inform your insurers.

That's quite a thought.  What happens if you have bought the appropriate insurance for the ports you were expecting to visit but your policy doesn't cover the change of destination? 

Given P&O make such a point of insisting you have suitable cover how do they square making changes to a different country which may not be covered?  I've just done a search and whilst some insurers would include Morocco with European cover the implication is some won't!   I wonder if they will inform passengers of that possibility?  

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

P&O, change of itinerary. surely not. Has this ever happened before? 

You're not even going to the same continent.

Don't forget to inform your insurers.

Operational reasons no doubt? 

• Haha 1

We visited Tangiers from the Costa del Sol a few years ago. It’s not a place I would feel comfortable exploring on my own but as part of a tour it was a great place and a real taste of something quite different. Our tour encompassed the old town, a bazaar (naturally), lunch with belly dancing and a trip to some sea caves. If P&O offer something similar I’d be happy to take it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

We were supposed to visit Casablanca on Oceana (I think) a few years ago and had to upgrade our Europe wide insurance to worldwide. As it turned out, we were unable to dock there due to the weather.

Noeadays most travel insurers include Morocco under their Europe cover, but it pays to check your policy.

51 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Noeadays most travel insurers include Morocco under their Europe cover, but it pays to check your policy.

Still begs the question about those who already have purchased appropriate insurance before booking their holiday which then turns out will not cover the changed destination.  Passengers may not be aware their insurance does not cover the change, P&O have put passengers in that situation because of the change what are you supposed to do? Buy a new policy which does cover the new port?  

• Like 1

As I said in my original post, I have checked my insurance and I am covered. When I took out the annual policy, there were two sets of Europe cover to choose from and only one of them, possibly a bit more expensive, included Morocco. However, the one that did not include Morocco did not include Spain either and Spanish ports are on the schedule anyway. The other one includes both Spain and Morocco. Still best to check, although I think these classifications are pretty standard.

35 minutes ago, pete14 said:

As I said in my original post, I have checked my insurance and I am covered. When I took out the annual policy, there were two sets of Europe cover to choose from and only one of them, possibly a bit more expensive, included Morocco. However, the one that did not include Morocco did not include Spain either and Spanish ports are on the schedule anyway. The other one includes both Spain and Morocco. Still best to check, although I think these classifications are pretty standard.

I don't do annual policies, and I had to list all the countries I am visiting on my latest one.

13 minutes ago, Trevor Fountain said:

I don't do annual policies, and I had to list all the countries I am visiting on my latest one.

That's pretty standard to decide which of the four groups your policy covers.  If you read it it should say including or excluding Cyprus, Greece, Malta, Spain, Turkey, Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia.  They ask you to pu in individual countries so they can allocate the group.

The same happens for worldwide including or excluding USA/Caribbean.

• Thanks 1

All the quotes I have done, the Europe option either includes Spain, Greece and Morocco or doesn't.  So  As most Med cruises go to Spain, the problem should not arise.

I certainly wouldn't go ashore there DIY.  We went ashore and thought it was awful.  Depends how badly you want to do an excursion.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saga European annual policies do not cover Morocco as standard. We had to upgrade policy.

my husband wrote to P and O at the time when we had a port call to Ceuta in May as we checked with Saga.

He advised p and O that it would be helpful if they could make it clear that although enclave is shown as a  Spanish call they should be advising that insurance cover has to include Morocco. It would be a really helpful thing to do.

apparently it’s to do with with where you could get taken for treatment and the non Schengen status of Ceuta and the other enclave.

He did get a standard reply that it would be passed on to the relevant dept.🙄

2 minutes ago, J110 said:

Saga European annual policies do not cover Morocco as standard. We had to upgrade policy.

my husband wrote to P and O at the time when we had a port call to Ceuta in May as we checked with Saga.

He advised p and O that it would be helpful if they could make it clear that although enclave is shown as a  Spanish call they should be advising that insurance cover has to include Morocco. It would be a really helpful thing to do.

apparently it’s to do with with where you could get taken for treatment and the non Schengen status of Ceuta and the other enclave.

He did get a standard reply that it would be passed on to the relevant dept.🙄

All clears Europe area includes all countries bordering the Mediterranean and their islands.

On 8/18/2022 at 9:41 AM, Host Sharon said:

The excursion to Tetouan is well worth it imo. Great guided walk through the ancient souk.

The excursions were not yet available a couple of days ago when I last checked.