Fixed vs open in the MDR

Gunther1

We have always used the open dining option in the MDR, as it gives us the flexibility to eat at a different time that what we would be tied to.  Also, I’ve also wondered what it would be like if, for whatever reason, it turns out you were to really detest your table mates. You’re stuck with them.

I’ve always wondered about the benefits of fixed dining….and might try it .  Can those who have it sell it to me….what do you like about it ?

Thanks !!

We love fixed dining for a variety of reasons, and have had this option on all of our cruises over the years. We enjoy getting to know our table mates, our servers and dining staff. The dining staff gets to know us too, including our likes, dislikes and preferences. As just one example, having your favorite glass of wine delivered to the table as soon as you're seated before even ordering it.

We get to know them by their first names, learn about their lives and families back home, etc. And they get to know us the same way.

I could go on and on, but all of this interaction results in wonderful dining experiences for the cruise, and long-lasting memories.

In more than 25 years of fixed dining cruising, we have only 'not connected' with our table mates on one occasion, and were quickly switched to another table after consulting with the dining room manager...no problem.

We highly recommend traditional, fixed dining 🙂 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, jhsocal said:

Enjoy thefixed time, table for two, same wait staff. Prefer the late time, more tie to get ready for the evening, usually go to a happy hour.

Same with us, but we always get a table for 6 because we enjoy meeting new people and getting to know them.

• Like 1

We too like fixed dining, late seating.

We ask for a table for 6.  We get to know our tablemates and still keep in touch with some of them years after the cruise.  On some cruises, we are among the last tables to leave the dining room, we're talking and laughing so much.  We've been very lucky and have never needed to change tables because we did not "connect" with the other diners.

• Like 2

We are very reserved Brits and started out on our first 2 cruises always asking for a table for 2 but on our 3rd cruise we were put on a table of 8 and we've never looked back and have made some wonderful friends over the years. I would highly recommend fixed late sitting dining.

• Like 1

Open for me as i don't like to be assigned to a set time or table.  Have  had a few tablemates that after a few days of listening to what i found to be boring story after story lost my appetitive which is hard to do on a cruise.  Also had some good table mates but overall just prefer not to be so set in routine or dining mates.

• Like 2

We prefer fixed dining, table for 2.  My DH has trouble swallowing and needs extra “sauce” on his food. DH explains his situation to the waiter on the first night and the waiter knows what to tell the chef about DH’s order.

I am a vegetarian.  The waiter always explains to me how some menu items can be modified to be made without meat.  

We don’t eat bread,  we like our water glasses to always be full,  we need extra napkins, I drink lemon tea after dinner.

After the first night, our waiter knows our “special” requests and we don’t even need to ask.  

• Like 2

Excursions and port activities drive my dining time.  Therefore, open dining makes the most sense for me.  I'm getting more comfortable with a big table with strangers as long as everyone has their hearing aids turned up. (Don't think I'm joking)

We started out on our first few cruises with HAL doing anytime dining which we found frustrating when you generally need to make a reservation for the times you want to dine which defeats the purpose of anytime. After frustration with standing in line too many times to wait to be seated and not getting the times we wish to dine, we started doing fixed late dining and never gone back. We like a table for 2 unless traveling with friends and enjoy just walking into the dining room and heading straight to our assigned table. We also enjoy having the same wait staff, etc.

• Like 2

We're just off the Zuiderdam and had the open seating. We said we were open to tablemates but on 5 of the six nights we were in the MDR, we wee given tables for 2. We always take open because the early seating is TOO early and the second is TOO late. On our Noordam cruise back in May the waiter from the first night arranged for us to always be in his section. Which we enjoyed and showed that enjoyment at  the with a nice tip.

• Like 1

We always do open dining (on any cruise line) and prefer to share larger tables which gives us the opportunity to meet new folks and make new friends.  On many cruises, after a few days of open dining with others, we will often find ourselves forming a semi-regular dining group made up of those we have met at dinner that enjoyed each other's company.  

Hank

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

In case of what, if you don't mind my asking?

11 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

In case of what, if you don't mind my asking?

In case you have dinner mates you are not compatible with or they with us.

We are seeing more and more couples as the months go by sitting at tables for 2.

2 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

In case you have dinner mates you are not compatible with or they with us.

We are seeing more and more couples as the months go by sitting at tables for 2.

From our 25+ years cruising experience (YMMV), incompatibility with table mates is an extremely rare occurrence. And if it ever occurs (which it probably won't), you can easily change your table.

IOHO, you are basing your dining decisions on some perceived potential situation that will likely never happen.

Spread your wings a bit, reserve a large top table 6+, and enjoy the wonderful experience of meeting new people, some that you will be friends with for many years!

• Like 1

We have preferred fixed late with a large table.  On the 14-day cruise we booked today, only open seating was available, all other waitlisted.  No issue, we will still arrive when we would normally eat each evening and I will ask the dining room manager (I cannot spell Maitre 'd!) to please seat us at the same table each night with others.  And, yes, I will tip him for his effort to do so.

32 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

From our 25+ years cruising experience (YMMV), incompatibility with table mates is an extremely rare occurrence. And if it ever occurs (which it probably won't), you can easily change your table.

IOHO, you are basing your dining decisions on some perceived potential situation that will likely never happen.

Spread your wings a bit, reserve a large top table 6+, and enjoy the wonderful experience of meeting new people, some that you will be friends with for many years!

We’ve been on 67 cruises in 40 years and  have made some nice friends through the years but now we are extremely happy with our table for 2. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MISTER 67 said:

We’ve been on 67 cruises in 40 years and  have made some nice friends through the years but now we are extremely happy with our table for 2. 

Only 67?

Okay, closed minds will sink ships as we used to say in the Navy. 🙈

• Haha 1