Cunard princess grill questions. Is it still ok or to be avoided?

cruiselovingbears

19 hours ago, majortom10 said:

When we did QG on QE in November 2019 we were never offered or was never ever mentioned by anyone about the possibility of ordering off menu.

and as I have said many times on this very subject, you were very unlucky as we have always been encouraged to go off piste if not particularly enthralled by the menu.

• Like 1

Last November, Sandro came to our table about 10 times out of 14. Each time he asked if they could do anything special for us. Apart from our usual Peking Duck and a few other bits and pieces (caviar with smoked salmon), in general we stuck to the menus.

38 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

and as I have said many times on this very subject, you were very unlucky as we have always been encouraged to go off piste if not particularly enthralled by the menu.

On our last two cruises ( pre covid ) we were never encouraged to go off menu. For the first two nights we ate from the menu,  then at on third morning after seeing nothing we fancied on evening menu we ordered a starter off menu, and on same again th3 next night. Our table companions who in both cases were new to Cunard noticed this , and we explained that given notice you can order off menu. Neither of them knew anything about this and none of the waiting staff or MD had said anything to them. 

Although staff seem happy to go off menu when asked  , I don't think they are encouraged to advertise this to the uninitiated . 

Of course after we'd  gone of grid once , the MD or assistant MD , gave us and our table  companions the menu every morning and checked if there was any thing special we wanted at night. 

If it hadn't been for this forum  I  wouldn't have known about off menu ordering. If it hadn't been for us our table companions would gave gone for the whole cruise in ignorance. I actually  believe  one role of your Bultler should be a simple question  is this your first time on Cunard QG, if no explain everything including off menu dining. 

As I said possibility of off menu dining is no longet on website

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Trouble is the price that is now being charged by Cunard for QG suites it should not be down to "luck" and how efficient the staff are especially as it was our first time in QG and wasnt sure what to expect. All I know is when we disembarked we didnt way "wow" that was a great cruise and that is how it should be for everyone not just those in QG.

Well I don’t know what to think.

I knew about the off menus activity thanks to a friend who gave me loads of QG gen.

Even apart from that knowledge, we have always been asked if there is anything else the kitchen could make for us etc.

My QG experience has been limited to a couple of cruises on QE and the rest on QV. Does that make a difference?

No idea.

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

Last November, Sandro came to our table about 10 times out of 14. Each time he asked if they could do anything special for us. Apart from our usual Peking Duck and a few other bits and pieces (caviar with smoked salmon), in general we stuck to the menus.

Sandro has, or will be relocating to QE. 
Lucky QE.

Edited by Victoria2

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Trouble is the price that is now being charged by Cunard for QG suites it should not be down to "luck" and how efficient the staff are especially as it was our first time in QG and wasnt sure what to expect. All I know is when we disembarked we didnt way "wow" that was a great cruise and that is how it should be for everyone not just those in QG.

I have witnessed many times, Head Waiters  and maitre d's going round asking if anything else could be provided and so I still say, you were unlucky with the staff on your QG experience.

I cannot fault the attention we receive in QG.

Edited by Victoria2

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I have witnessed many times, Head Waiters  and maitre d's going round asking if anything else could be provided and so I still say, you were unlucky with the staff on your QG experience.

I cannot fault the attention we receive in QG.

I think we were very unlucky with whole experience I presume was the Head Waiter or whatever they call them who prepare meals at table side couldnt even carve a duck in half and it ended up on the floor and we never saw the butler. Having said that thinking that everything seems to happen to us last November on QE in PG we ordered with the Maitre 'd at lunch rack of lamb for that nights dinner. At dinner nothing was said we had our appetiser and soup and then was a long wait for our main course. Nothing was said for ages and then it became obvious even though we were never told or apologised too  that he had forgot to order the lamb at lunch time. Few days later we ordered another meal at lunchtime for our dinner and the same Maitre 'd laughed and said yes and I will remember to order it this time. Think wherever we go we must be very unlucky.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe a way to differentiate Britannia Club from Britannia?  Only the possibility of doing it is not stated as a difference,  

We were very blessed with a MD that was very friendly and build a very nice and special rapport with him which help thru out the sailing. You know how I love to speak about food.You may want to see the engine room, my main tour is the KITCHEN!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Few days later we ordered another meal at lunchtime for our dinner and the same Maitre 'd laughed and said yes and I will remember to order it this time.

I hope you didn't offer the Head Waiter or the Maitre d' much of a gratuity, if anything, at the end of your cruise.  I had a Head Waiter on QM2 who was arrogant and provided unpleasant service, enough so, that I had a "face to face" conversation one evening after dinner.  His attitude improved, but, when I distributed my additional gratuities on the last evening to my Stewards, he was "hovering" in the area.  He didn't get an envelope.  

23 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

You know how I love to speak about food.You may want to see the engine room, my main tour is the KITCHEN!

My main interests are anything "behind the scenes".  Galleys and a Q&A with the Executive Chefs adds to my knowledge and understanding of what takes place behind the scenes.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I hope you didn't offer the Head Waiter or the Maitre d' much of a gratuity, if anything, at the end of your cruise.  I had a Head Waiter on QM2 who was arrogant and provided unpleasant service, enough so, that I had a "face to face" conversation one evening after dinner.  His attitude improved, but, when I distributed my additional gratuities on the last evening to my Stewards, he was "hovering" in the area.  He didn't get an envelope.  

My main interests are anything "behind the scenes".  Galleys and a Q&A with the Executive Chefs adds to my knowledge and understanding of what takes place behind the scenes.  

The last time I was inside was in 2013 would like to see if any changes to the Galley are there.

Two times ago in place of the speaker in morning was the two top chefs giving a picture tour of the kitchen with preparing two dishes on the stage.

I am very careful with my extra gratitudes and who gets them. We have been very lucky and hope it continues in the PG with proper staff. 

• Like 1

We sailed PG in June on the QM2.  I see that you are familiar with Cunard and know the product is very different from Crystal and Regent.  And I'm sure you know the QM2 is a unique ship and appeals to many of us because of its many special features.  We found the PG experience in June to be hit-and-miss, and we attribute that to the re-start after Covid.  So many new staff who have not been adequately trained.  It was not even close to luxury, but was acceptable.  And the food, well ho-hum, but that is the usual Cunard experience for us, IMHO.  But we love the QM2 and if that is enough for you, then try out your cruise, even though, I recognize, it is expensive in PG.  PG is never ever affordable.