Saint Greg's New York City and Magic to Bermuda - Live - August 27-September 5 2022

Saint Greg

4 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

Well, surprise, surprise, surprise! You don't know Gomer Pyle.

I know him. That's not him is it? Maybe it's the no uniform. I haven't watched very many episodes of it. My dad does. Gomer Pyle, Mash, and Andy Griffith is what he likes. I'm more of a Matlock guy when it comes to Andy Griffith.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

You'd think I was some bumpkin from Goober, Idaho who has never been to a city or on a subway.

We trust you. It's a lot of the other tourists that create problems. In fairness, though, NYers turn into tourists when they go on vacation. My complaint about folks stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to take a picture? There were a fair number of NYers on Magic two weeks ago doing the same thing on the pier. 🙄

Some years ago I was at the Penn Station stop on the Seventh Avenue subway when I saw an older couple off to the side, looking confusedly at a map. I went up to them and asked, "Where do you want to go?" They were trying to get to the ferry for the Statue of Liberty. I figured the easiest route for them was the 1 train downtown to the end - not the fastest, but the easiest. If you want the fastest, you'd take the 2 or 3 train to Chambers Street, then cross the platform to the 1 train - but I figured I'd just add to their confusion by making that suggestion.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I know him. That's not him is it? Maybe it's the no uniform. I haven't watched very many episodes of it. My dad does. Gomer Pyle, Mash, and Andy Griffith is what he likes. I'm more of a Matlock guy when it comes to Andy Griffith.

I watched the whole clip from Andy Griffith.  It's Goober Pyle played by George Lindsey.  He was also on Hee Haw.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

We trust you. It's a lot of the other tourists that create problems. In fairness, though, NYers turn into tourists when they go on vacation. My complaint about folks stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to take a picture? There were a fair number of NYers on Magic two weeks ago doing the same thing on the pier. 🙄

Some years ago I was at the Penn Station stop on the Seventh Avenue subway when I saw an older couple off to the side, looking confusedly at a map. I went up to them and asked, "Where do you want to go?" They were trying to get to the ferry for the Statue of Liberty. I figured the easiest route for them was the 1 train downtown to the end - not the fastest, but the easiest. If you want the fastest, you'd take the 2 or 3 train to Chambers Street, then cross the platform to the 1 train - but I figured I'd just add to their confusion by making that suggestion.

You sent them on the local.  Good choice!  

14 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I watched the whole clip from Andy Griffith.  It's Goober Pyle played by George Lindsey.  He was also on Hee Haw.

I've seen some hee haw but probably wouldn't remember the people. That was a long time ago. I remember a guy with a banjo. some people of the corn. And I think someone getting kicked by a fence in the but tocks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, nybumpkin said:

It seems like common sense to me but I keep reading it and seeing it on videos. There is nothing NY specific about that. I deal with it everyday. If I'm walking down the sidewalk and get a text I need to stop and respond to I don't do it right in the middle of the side walk. I move over to the side next to a building or something. If I'm walking down the pier in cozumel and want to take a picture of the ship I don't do it right there. I walk to the end and go over to the side. 

The one time I do get in people's way and I know it is when I'm getting off of a tender. And I want to get that rare shot of being right next to the ship in the water but not being on the ship. I do it real quick but they still don't like it. Sometimes I'll wait to be the last one off the boat before I do it. This was the shot that got me hooked on that.

600x200

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

It seems like common sense to me but I keep reading it and seeing it on videos. There is nothing NY specific about that. I deal with it everyday. If I'm walking down the sidewalk and get a text I need to stop and respond to I don't do it right in the middle of the side walk. I move over to the side next to a building or something. If I'm walking down the pier in cozumel and want to take a picture of the ship I don't do it right there. I walk to the end and go over to the side. 

The one time I do get in people's way and I know it is when I'm getting off of a tender. And I want to get that rare shot of being right next to the ship in the water but not being on the ship. I do it real quick but they still don't like it. Sometimes I'll wait to be the last one off the boat before I do it. This was the shot that got me hooked on that.

600x200

Ok, last piece of advice (maybe) but I noticed this in Paris and it made an impression.  Pedestrians in Paris step right off the curb, not concerned if the vehicle coming their way will stop.  Weird thing is that the vehicle will stop.  NYC not so much.  But in NYC pedestrians don't wait for the "walk sign" and as soon as possible they head out across the street.  Looking forward to your review!!

1 minute ago, ninjacat123 said:

Ok, last piece of advice (maybe) but I noticed this in Paris and it made an impression.  Pedestrians in Paris step right off the curb, not concerned if the vehicle coming their way will stop.  Weird thing is that the vehicle will stop.  NYC not so much.  But in NYC pedestrians don't wait for the "walk sign" and as soon as possible they head out across the street.  Looking forward to your review!!

At this point I've been to almost every major city in America. And London. And Kuwait City. I don't expect to have any problems figuring out how to safely cross the street.

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I've seen some hee haw but probably wouldn't remember the people. That was a long time ago. I remember a guy with a banjo. some people of the corn. And I think someone getting kicked by a fence in the but tocks.

Roy Clark....one of the greatest banjo...guitar players ever....first husband was a musician...and guitar player...Roy Clark was kind of up there with Chet Atkins...lol...I'm showing my age...

• Like 6

1 minute ago, jbhcw said:

Roy Clark....one of the greatest banjo...guitar players ever....first husband was a musician...and guitar player...Roy Clark was kind of up there with Chet Atkins...lol...I'm showing my age...

Yes. I was thinking Ray something. Roy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

At this point I've been to almost every major city in America. And London. And Kuwait City. I don't expect to have any problems figuring out how to safely cross the street.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, jbhcw said:

GREATNESS!!!!

My Mom looooved hearing Roy Clark play Spanish Guitar.

seriously - go find a clip on the tube of You

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Don't understand all this NYC paranoia. As in anywhere you visit just be aware of your surroundings. Now Tijuana, that's scary! 😁

Thank you, Jamman.  Yes we have problems in NYC but one needs to consider how many people we have.  Always be aware wherever you go in the world.  It's a beautiful city with wonderful people.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1