Embarkation day on JOY, alternative to Buffet for Non Haven guests

joelheather

Planning on sending my folks to the Local for them to grab food. They should arrive at the pier around 12:30ish, so trying to make it to the MDR will be a rush for them to get checked in, on board, muster station out of the way, and then find the dining rooms on their own.

We'll be headed to the American diner since we're in Haven, then will go on a scavenger hunt to find my parents after lunch.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just adding that people need to pay attention to the times listed in the daily. Don't wait to long if you want to hit the MDR because it's only open til 1:30 (or whatever time is listed in your daily).

I've been cruising for years and still end up being surprised at my limited options when I lunch late. Even the buffet begins to neck down to fewer selection. And afternoon noshing is hard. 3:00 is usually when I'm hungry for a snack, and there are few good options. Pretty much some lame stuff in one area of the buffet, The Local and Observation Lounge (curious to see what they have). Or ice cream. The one time I really value the buffet concept is for an afternoon snack (especially when I'm hanging by the pool), and there's not great snack stuff there in my experience. But it's been a few years.

Speaking of...do any NCL ships still do a poolside BBQ for lunch on sea days? Loved the grilled chicken and it's the one time I felt like my burger was fresh! But I think that's a relic of the past.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, weltek said:

Just adding that people need to pay attention to the times listed in the daily. Don't wait to long if you want to hit the MDR because it's only open til 1:30 (or whatever time is listed in your daily).

I've been cruising for years and still end up being surprised at my limited options when I lunch late. Even the buffet begins to neck down to fewer selection. And afternoon noshing is hard. 3:00 is usually when I'm hungry for a snack, and there are few good options. Pretty much some lame stuff in one area of the buffet, The Local and Observation Lounge (curious to see what they have). Or ice cream. The one time I really value the buffet concept is for an afternoon snack (especially when I'm hanging by the pool), and there's not great snack stuff there in my experience. But it's been a few years.

Speaking of...do any NCL ships still do a poolside BBQ for lunch on sea days? Loved the grilled chicken and it's the one time I felt like my burger was fresh! But I think that's a relic of the past.

Haven’t seen the poolside BBQ in Years.  Use to love it 

21 hours ago, weltek said:

Our last cruise was several years ago on the Gem and they had it (and on previous cruises on spirit and Jewel), I don’t think the newer ships ever had it.