FYI - RCCL/CEL allowing unproctored home test

ByThePond

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity announced new protocols as of 5 September. One of the changes is allowing the use of an unproctored home test unless it is not allowed due to country-specific requirements.  Passengers can show a photo of the negative test or even bring the actual negative test to checkin. 

30 minutes ago, ByThePond said:

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity announced new protocols as of 5 September. One of the changes is allowing the use of an unproctored home test unless it is not allowed due to country-specific requirements.  Passengers can show a photo of the negative test or even bring the actual negative test to checkin. 

Help me out here.  Tests are only required where country-specific requirements include them.  Self testing is only allowed where country specific requirements allow them.  I think these populations overlap exactly zero.  Canada and Bermuda require proctored tests.  Other US sailing are to destinations that don't require tests.   What am I missing?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Help me out here.  Tests are only required where country-specific requirements include them.  Self testing is only allowed where country specific requirements allow them.  I think these populations overlap exactly zero.  Canada and Bermuda require proctored tests.  Other US sailing are to destinations that don't require tests.   What am I missing?

They are still requiring testing for vaccinated passengers on cruises of 10 nights or longer and for unvaccinated passengers, even if the ports of call don't require any testing. 

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

They are still requiring testing for vaccinated passengers on cruises of 10 nights or longer and for unvaccinated passengers, even if the ports of call don't require any testing. 

Thanks.  So, apparently, they "aren't" going to still be requiring testing for non-vaccinated.  Just pretending.  Just when we thought it couldn't get any more silly.

• Like 2

How dumb can they be?  It’s embarrassing for them to even put out a statement that says such nonsense!  What were they thinking? An unmonitored test means nothing!

on the other hand it would be helpful if they would be specific about exactly when one is supposed to monitor test for a Canada cruise from NYC. With a sea day and two stops in the states before the Canada ports.

Seems all but useless.  But then, so is the Canadian requirement, where you need to test within 2 days of boarding.  For me, that means I'll test on Monday for a cruise that leaves Wednesday and arrives in the first Canadian port on Sunday. 

I keep a stack of tests on-hand and the proctor service is only $15.  It's not a huge cost or inconvenience, just that the benefit seems dubious.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Holly g said:

on the other hand it would be helpful if they would be specific about exactly when one is supposed to monitor test for a Canada cruise from NYC. With a sea day and two stops in the states before the Canada ports.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

TL:DR -- Within 2 days of embarkation.  For me, that's 6 days before I arrive in Canada but whatever...

Edited by phillygwm

14 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

In that case why even bother having people do it?   lol

Right, I could do all the testing steps minus putting the swab in my nose. It's not like it tests for the actual presence of boogers.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks.  So, apparently, they "aren't" going to still be requiring testing for non-vaccinated.  Just pretending.  Just when we thought it couldn't get any more silly.

I suspect this policy will become the norm across the industry. 

Lots of changes to CDC recommendations came out last week. The latest guidance from the CDC treats unvaccinated no different than vaccinated. In addition, the CDC has acknowledged prior infection as providing immunity. Cruise line policies are just following the science (aka CDC). ;-). 

Eventually guests will just check a box on a health questioner like the old days. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Eventually guests will just check a box on a health questioner like the old days. 

Remember, the 1918 Spanish Flu is now just routine H1N1.  For those of us who lost friends, family, colleagues, etc. in 2020-2021, it still hits a bit too close to home, but ultimately COVID will be just as routine (and as lethal) as the annual flu.  Until the next pandemic, hopefully when we're all long gone.

• Like 2

For sale.  Negative result antigen test kits.  This will allow you to get on RCCL/CEL cruises and more. 

Only $5 each.  You don't need to do the tests yourself and risk getting a positive result and not being able to get on a cruise.  If you lost your test kit, or can't find it in your luggage, no worries, we got you covere.

(I'll be sending boys to sell such kits at RCCL/CEL embarkation locations.  Is US$5 too cheap?)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Middleager said:

For sale.  Negative result antigen test kits.  This will allow you to get on RCCL/CEL cruises and more. 

Only $5 each.  You don't need to do the tests yourself and risk getting a positive result and not being able to get on a cruise.  If you lost your test kit, or can't find it in your luggage, no worries, we got you covere.

(I'll be sending boys to sell such kits at RCCL/CEL embarkation locations.  Is US$5 too cheap?)

Considering I get them for free, no.    🙂 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, davencl said:

Considering I get them for free, no.    🙂 🙂 

Those sales are not for people prepared like you. It's for people who didn't bring their test kit, can't find in luggage, or just need a negative test proof.

On 8/23/2022 at 3:11 PM, Middleager said:

Too much considering you can just get a picture of a negative test online.  They don't need the actual test (although that is accepted).