Mighty Ships

DustFSU

Don't know how many of you have access to the Smithsonian channel, but they have started a new season of Might Cruise Ships.  Amazing show to watch if you can find it.  Also I know that sometimes vacations things happen that you can't control or you wish they went different.  Just watch this show and appreciate how hard these cruise staff in all department work each week on a cruise.  The most amazing part is the turn around day and how fast they all have to move to get the ship loaded, cleaned, and things fixed behind the scenes.  So when you go up and the windjammer and try something and it's not up to your standards, just think how many they had to cook in such a short time and the amount they do, it's pretty amazing, just go get something new.  Kindly let them know too because they do want to know if something isn't right.  They are there to please all the guest.

• Like 2

We caught the episode on the MSC Seaside, I think it was.  Yes, it is amazing what they accomplish in one day.  I kind of wish they would spread the turnaround out over two days, unload one day then take a bit more time to clean, do maintenance, and restock before boarding again the next.  But I understand that that would be costly for the lines.  Cool show though.

1 hour ago, DustFSU said:

Don't know how many of you have access to the Smithsonian channel, but they have started a new season of Might Cruise Ships.  Amazing show to watch if you can find it.  Also I know that sometimes vacations things happen that you can't control or you wish they went different.  Just watch this show and appreciate how hard these cruise staff in all department work each week on a cruise.  The most amazing part is the turn around day and how fast they all have to move to get the ship loaded, cleaned, and things fixed behind the scenes.  So when you go up and the windjammer and try something and it's not up to your standards, just think how many they had to cook in such a short time and the amount they do, it's pretty amazing, just go get something new.  Kindly let them know too because they do want to know if something isn't right.  They are there to please all the guest.

I believe on Sunday the Smithsonian aired the original episode of the initial Oasis sail.  Original air date was sometime in 2010.   Sometimes, the Science Channel show the building of mighty ships.

I like this show a lot.  Just watched the Seven Seas Explorer cruising up the Pacific Coast of South America.  I added a few new ports to my list of places to visit.

My only complaint is that the show is very formulaic.  Turn around day is crazy, the captain has to make a difficult docking (often with a pilot who was late), there's a late bus returning from an excursion and the captain is mad that he may not be able to leave on time, the exec chef checks out food on the dock and tastes things in all of the kitchens, there's a mechanical problem that the crew must urgently fix, etc.  I wish they'd change that up a bit and show more of the ships and their activities.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I wish they'd change that up a bit and show more of the ships and their activities.

Agreed.  Love the show, but they don't show enough of the ships themselves and what makes each one unique.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I like this show a lot.  Just watched the Seven Seas Explorer cruising up the Pacific Coast of South America.  I added a few new ports to my list of places to visit.

My only complaint is that the show is very formulaic.  Turn around day is crazy, the captain has to make a difficult docking (often with a pilot who was late), there's a late bus returning from an excursion and the captain is mad that he may not be able to leave on time, the exec chef checks out food on the dock and tastes things in all of the kitchens, there's a mechanical problem that the crew must urgently fix, etc.  I wish they'd change that up a bit and show more of the ships and their activities.

So that is the formula for the shows.  On the Oasis initial sail, they had some 200+ Paxs late in coming back when in St. Thomas, however it did not identify the reason and I assumed it was late tour as he waited some 25+ minutes.  Also, in St.  Marteen, they mentioned 2 Paxs being late and only identified them as being millionaires and elites.😜

In addition, they had one of the engines acting up and concerned that it would impact this initial sail.  Everything was resolved.😆

On 8/29/2022 at 7:18 AM, bobmacliberty said:

My only complaint is that the show is very formulaic.  <snip> I wish they'd change that up a bit and show more of the ships and their activities.

Yup.  How many times have we watched a crew clean out a sea chest?....

• Haha 1

Thanks to this thread, we pulled it up on Paramount+ and found that it had (what they were billing as) seasons 2 & 3. Symphony was the subject of S3E5. I do not see any other Royal Caribbean ships in these 2 seasons.

On 8/29/2022 at 8:18 AM, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks, you pointed out all the things wrong with the show.  I watched a couple, then it’s just the same thing again and again. 

7 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Thanks, you pointed out all the things wrong with the show.  I watched a couple, then it’s just the same thing again and again. 

I am usually more intrigued by the ports, like how Liverpool has a weird snakey channel into it, or how this one on Sunday afternoon had to deal with port traffic, and then a bit about where the passengers go.....so as long as they don’t have an overload of the same ports, I am amused 🙂 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

I agree, but at least we have not yet had to read all about how they are wrong about this or that from the so called experts on CC, so thats a blessing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/29/2022 at 8:18 AM, bobmacliberty said:

Agreed!  They do contrive a lot of "drama" from the every day operations.  Perhaps an episode should leave a pier runner behind.  That would be a warning to those who have one last drink at Senor Frogs because they believe that they will wait for them.

Being on some Navy ships and participating in the loading of food/mail/supplies etc I am amazed at the sheer organized chaos of getting 3000+ passengers their luggage and any trash off of the ship. Then refueling the ship, loading food, luggage and passengers and departing port all in a 12 hour timeframe. To me it is mind boggling. LOL! I agree with a previous poster in wishing that I wish turnaround was 2 days to allow for more thorough cleaning in addition to more time for maintenance but I do realize that if the ship is not moving it is not making money. 

I was watching this yesterday.  The Azamara.  They only had about 600 passengers and took them all to a resort one night for an event. Azamazing is what they call it.  Looked nice.  They were traveling to Vietnam.  Not a place on my wish list.  They went through a huge storm and then there was flooding....I'd love to see some RCI ships.