Ncl and parents controlling unruly kids on pearl this summer?

sullyd

On 9/2/2022 at 9:15 AM, sullyd said:

Anyone experience any issues this  past Summer on Pearl?

We sailed 7/22 on the Pearl. 

Traveled with 2 teenage grandkids.  Every "kid" seemed very polite and well behaved. 

This was the first time we traveled in the summer - usually we would wait until everyone was back to school.  Ours was a positive experience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

I was on the Pearl the week of August 22nd, and the only issue with kids was the late night running up and down the halls. It was annoying, but I chalked it up to being on deck 11 where the two-bedroom suites are. My mistake.

As an aside, just saw where Carnival is enforcing a curfew on any passenger under the age of 18.

• Like 2

There are many older cruisers on NCL, & those who have mobility issues. I have a problem with children running around & into people that are walking. I know they’re excited, but these people have a right to safely walk also. Otherwise, I have no problem, enjoy!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, joyy7403 said:

There are many older cruisers on NCL, & those who have mobility issues. I have a problem with children running around & into people that are walking. I know they’re excited, but these people have a right to safely walk also. Otherwise, I have no problem, enjoy!

No kids are running over old people. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tyskie said:

Traveled with 2 teenage grandkids.  Every "kid" seemed very polite and well behaved. 

This was the first time we traveled in the summer - usually we would wait until everyone was back to school.  Ours was a positive experience.

Glad to hear ! 

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No kids are running over old people. 

I've had my mother (almost 80) slammed into by kids jumping down the stairs; my stepfather (walks with a cane) banged into by kids riding the elevator.

I've also had an adult (probably about a 6'7" male) walk into my wife who was on crutches at the time.  He was facing right in her direction.  Nearly knocked her down.  I grabbed his arm and said "Watch where you're going you giant a--hole!"  He at least had the decency to look ashamed for a second.

On the flip side, I've also seen people on mobility scooters run into other passengers.  On the Star in July there was a passenger we referred to as the scooter witch, as she purposely hit people who she thought were in her way numerous times.

Just because you've never experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Tough thread and usually is with the subject of children.  He is my story.  In 2019, my wife and I were on the Getaway out of New Orleans.  We were in a Haven Suite.  It was Thanksgiving Week.  I much prefer a Hot Tub to the pool.  This was Pre-Covid.  The Hot tub and pool on the main deck outside the Haven were completely packed.  The Hot tub with young kids wall to wall. I thought we would be fine because the Haven had two Hot Tubs in the Haven Courtyard.  

Just like in the main pool area, the young kids were all over the hot tubs, all day long.  It was the same group of 10.  No parents to be found almost like the Haven area was the kids area.  These young people were yelling, screaming, jumping in the pool that does not allow jumping.  When on day three I finally got a seat in one of the two hot tubs.  Two of the kids were laughing at me and I kindly said why are you laughing.  They said, "You look so funny because you have yellow teeth."  While I was embarrassed and never went into the Haven Courtyard pool or hot tub again. 

The first think I did when I got home was got my teeth whitened, I now drink my coffee from a straw, and I have a retainer that I use several times a week to keep my teeth white.  I owe those two children a debt of gratitude for their honesty.  The issue was not the children, they deserve to play and be kids. The issue was no parents watching their kids.  

My solutions was to never, ever go on Holiday cruises again on ships that are family oriented.  Instead I go the week before or the week after the holiday.  Better pricing and I have never had the same situation happen.  This is a true story and it effected how and when I book cruises.  The moral of the story is, "If you teeth are yellow, don't go into a hot tube with kids and get your teeth whitened."

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Tough thread and usually is with the subject of children.  He is my story.  In 2019, my wife and I were on the Getaway out of New Orleans.  We were in a Haven Suite.  It was Thanksgiving Week.  I much prefer a Hot Tub to the pool.  This was Pre-Covid.  The Hot tub and pool on the main deck outside the Haven were completely packed.  The Hot tub with young kids wall to wall. I thought we would be fine because the Haven had two Hot Tubs in the Haven Courtyard.  

Just like in the main pool area, the young kids were all over the hot tubs, all day long.  It was the same group of 10.  No parents to be found almost like the Haven area was the kids area.  These young people were yelling, screaming, jumping in the pool that does not allow jumping.  When on day three I finally got a seat in one of the two hot tubs.  Two of the kids were laughing at me and I kindly said why are you laughing.  They said, "You look so funny because you have yellow teeth."  While I was embarrassed and never went into the Haven Courtyard pool or hot tub again. 

The first think I did when I got home was got my teeth whitened, I now drink my coffee from a straw, and I have a retainer that I use several times a week to keep my teeth white.  I owe those two children a debt of gratitude for their honesty.  The issue was not the children, they deserve to play and be kids. The issue was no parents watching their kids.  

My solutions was to never, ever go on Holiday cruises again on ships that are family oriented.  Instead I go the week before or the week after the holiday.  Better pricing and I have never had the same situation happen.  This is a true story and it effected how and when I book cruises.  The moral of the story is, "If you teeth are yellow, don't go into a hot tube with kids and get your teeth whitened."

When I was in my mid 30s a friend of ours' 11-year old daughter laughed at me when she saw I was starting to go gray and said "You're old!!!"  I smiled at her and said "Yep.  But I can order candy over the internet, pay for it with my credit card, and have it delivered right to my front door, so there!"  😄

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

21 hours ago, Tyskie said:

we're headed out on the jewel 02/02/23 with our 2 oldest grands ( 17 & 18 ) any tips ?

We're old retirees.  One of our best cruises was early summer in the Mediterranean.  There were a lot of US parents bringing their whole family on a cruise to celebrate graduations, etc.  We enjoyed all of our interactions with the children (older and younger), who were excited to be exploring the European ports.  They were well mannered and interesting to listen to.  One of our worst cruises was over Thanksgiving in the Caribbean.  At many points we wondered if it was an orphanage cruise because there seemed to be no parents anywhere.  Our hall late at night seemed to be the setting for a track and field event!  Lesson learned.  For Caribbean cruises we always book the weeks that do not include a holiday and that are over 7 days long.  And yes, we have run into the mad scooter people...they are the ones who also mow you down in the grocery store.......even in old age they have not learned any manners.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Pearl Aug 12th.  Did not have any issues with unruly kids nor adults.  We normally take the stairs on cruises (mostly to offset copious amounts of food input!) and that usually limits how many people we encounter.  However, DH had tendonitis this trip, so more elevators than normally, but still no issues other than people who insisted on packing in like sardines.  (And yes, we came down with CoVID after the cruise, but I would do it again in a heartbeat!)

I tend to agree with @snthrngary, the worst behavior I have encountered has been in the HAVEN area, when kids are given free reign with NO adult in sight!  But even that wasn't horrible, just made me fearful for their safety and the state of the US in the future.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2022 at 5:26 PM, sullyd said:

I read on other posts (not Ncl ) I think it was Carnival Magic out of NYC about kids running around hallways at late hrs knocking on doors . They also complained of marijuana smoking everywhere. My question is are there issues like that on the pearl this Summer. I’m sorry if I was to vague.

We cruised earlier in the season, when most children were still in school------May 27--June 3.  There were no issues with unruly kids that we noticed.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

We cruised earlier in the season, when most children were still in school------May 27--June 3.  There were no issues with unruly kids that we noticed.  

Same…I try to cruise when the likelihood of gaggles of kids probably won’t be aboard.  Plus, fares are usually less expensive during those times, too…

But, I stay out of the pool areas on sea days, as that’s when you’ll find the most children (and adults who act like children).

And, as others have mentioned, it’s not just the kids who barrel their way around the ship.  I’ve had adults do the same.  I’ve even had some on scooters and using walkers hip check me out of their way.  Rudeness knows no age.

• Like 4

I try hard to stay away from unruly kids. On a cruise a few years ago a group of young kids made some racist remarks towards me the only Black on the elevator. To make matters worst they were loud and obnoxious in general when I saw them. Their use of profanity was horrible. I chalked it up to a lack of home training and/or simple repeating what they were hearing in the environment and doing what comes natural to them at home. In my opinion children don’t wait to get on a cruise ship to be unruly and disrespectful. They are most likely that way at home so I chalk it up to a lack of parenting. Just like most drunks on a cruise ship don’t wait to become drunks while cruising. 

Once I spot unruly/disrespectful children and drunks on a cruise I keep my distant. Trust me it makes for a better vacation for all.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 9/2/2022 at 9:30 AM, BirdTravels said:

From my perspective, kids are paying customers and have the right to enjoy their vacation and the cruise ship. Just like the adults who have “enjoyed” their beverage package. So long as they are somewhat within the guest code of conduct (no violence, no skateboards, no saving loungers or theater seats, no climbing outside exterior rails, no smoking pot, no wandering around crew areas like the bridge). 

Not within my rights, or anyone’s rights, or NCL’s rights, to dictate how others (including kids) behave on a ship or land base hotel or Disneyland so long as they are within the Code of Conduct. 

WOW…so the kids who made ugly racist remarks at me a few years ago while on the cruise ship elevator ( I am assuming they were enjoying their cruise as they thought it was funny) have the right to do so because because they are paying customers and I suppose as you put it within the guest code of conduct by your standards.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Goldconnection said:

WOW…so the kids who made ugly racist remarks at me a few years ago while on the cruise ship elevator ( I am assuming they were enjoying their cruise as they thought it was funny) have the right to do so because because they are paying customers and I suppose as you put it within the guest code of conduct by your standards.

@Goldconnection Your comments came well after the comment you tagged.  It is important to realize that what happened to you was not acceptable would fall into the ships/brands conduct on their ship.  That said, the crew is in a rock and a hard place; not just on NCL.  On all brands, in all segments and on all itineraries.  If a crew member attempts to enforce a policy, they are often the recipient of a complaint from that guest. This effects their income and status.  I don't like this fact but it is a hard cold part of cruise crew reality.

Whether it is the uncalled for remarks you got; chair hogs at the pool; people touching food on the Buffet; or they person holding a row for their 10 family members at a show whom never show up.  Rarely do you see a crew member get involved.  

The purpose of my post was to make sure you knew, that what happened to you is not acceptable and the post you quoted was not focused on your situation.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t mind kids.  I don’t mind kids who are excited and may get a little loud.  I do mind rude kids and rude people.  Luckily we haven’t had too many issues with that. However what we did and do mind, was when we would lay out, we went up to Deck 17, 18 or 19 (can’t remember exactly) that had a hot tub and the bar (before they took that portion away and made Vibe bigger) and parents would bring their young children up there who felt that they could use the hot tubs as their own pools.  They would swim, kick and splash even when adults were in there just trying to relax.  Then they would get mad when the adults would say something to them.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@Goldconnection Your comments came well after the comment you tagged.  It is important to realize that what happened to you was not acceptable would fall into the ships/brands conduct on their ship.  That said, the crew is in a rock and a hard place; not just on NCL.  On all brands, in all segments and on all itineraries.  If a crew member attempts to enforce a policy, they are often the recipient of a complaint from that guest. This effects their income and status.  I don't like this fact but it is a hard cold part of cruise crew reality.

Whether it is the uncalled for remarks you got; chair hogs at the pool; people touching food on the Buffet; or they person holding a row for their 10 family members at a show whom never show up.  Rarely do you see a crew member get involved.  

The purpose of my post was to make sure you knew, that what happened to you is not acceptable and the post you quoted was not focused on your situation.  

I never mentioned getting the crew involved. Not sure why you felt the need to mention anything about the crew. I simple stated a fact about kids (paying customers) having fun/enjoying their cruise at my expense and how I handled it. Thank you for for your input. I always cruise well and enjoy each and every moment. I have no reason not to do so. You do the same.

Edited by Goldconnection
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Goldconnection said:

I never mentioned getting the crew involved. Not sure why you felt the need to mention anything about the crew. I simple stated a fact about kids (paying customers) having fun/enjoying their cruise at my expense and how I handled it. Thank you for for your input. I always cruise well and enjoy each and every moment. I have no reason not to do so. You do the same.

Sorry for misunderstanding.  The Tag line of "Cruise Well and Enjoy Every Moment" is used on 100% of my posts, Op-Ed's and comments.  My goal in everything I write is to assist in the development of realistic expectations.  This comes from the many mistakes I made in the past.  

Again, I was not meaning to be anything else other then the focus of sharing of ideas.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fox02554 said:

we're headed out on the jewel 02/02/23 with our 2 oldest grands ( 17 & 18 ) any tips ?

hahaha - their parents were there as well.  We had an 18 YO boy and16 YOG

Take extra masks, covid tests, OTC medications - for some reason they didn't pack that stuff. 

Bermuda was very strict with the masks.

Let the kids pick the excursions if possible and dining options (and make reservations ahead of time).   

Our granddaughter went to the Entourage (I think that is what it's called) a few times. 

Our grandson was allowed to drink beer and wine - also gamble.  He enjoyed the 3-card poker with his grandfather over the alcohol.

Be flexible - they like to sleep late, I booked Tappenyaki for the first night and that was a big hit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1