Observations about Splendor

My friend and I boarded Splendor yesterday in Stockholm, where the ship overnighted and will be sailing out this afternoon. We are quite familiar with the other ships in the Regent fleet, but this is our first time on Splendor. We expected it to be similar to Explorer, but with some differences, and that indeed is the case. I don’t need to go into decor differences—those are obvious from the photos—but there’s some functional things that are a little different. Here are a few random ones (note that we are in a Superior Suite, so cabin observations are based on that type):

—the television has a side navigation bar, making it easy to move between functions on the television. It’s pretty elegant. 

—the walls’ magnetic attraction isn’t strong enough for a magnet to stay, except in a small area around the beds.

—for those who use the twin bed configuration, a pleasant surprise is that they designed the room with the outlets that are at the back of the nightstands also in the middle, so that the nightstand moved to between the beds also has this feature (on Explorer, the outlets are only on the sides, so the second bed covers up the outlets)

—they are not using facial recognition for leaving and returning to the ship, at least on this cruise. Instead, it’s the old-fashioned card swipe.

I’ll try to add other items as I notice them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, tripperva said:

In the Splendor suite, is there a TV in the living room or dining area? The brochure shows TV in the bedroom, the media room and veranda, but not living room.

Check out this video from You Tube.

A couple more observations re public spaces:

—The floor in the library is a composite material, not the leather you find on Explorer.

—The hallways in the cabin areas are lined with interesting photos, similar to what you see on Explorer.

—Maybe it’s my imagination, but Prime 7 appears to be much larger on this ship than on any of the others, which helps make it an uncramped lunch restaurant.

Re the entertainment: 

—Watch this name: Anne Van de Zee. She’s the lead female singer in the production cast, and is the best vocalist I’ve seen on a ship. Her voice and range are Broadway-qualify.

—I was a little disappointed that Boogie & Kashia were not playing on board. No need for disappointment. The duo playing in the Splendor Lounge, “Canny Sound Duo” Ryan and Jenny are excellent.

• Like 4

The smaller penthouse suites seems to have the surround shower with three heads on either side of you plus the rain showerhead on top.  Odd that the larger Splendor Suite was designed without that (of course, you get the tub that PH doesn’t have). 

For those currently on Splendor who are continuing with the British Isles itinerary departing this Saturday:

--Has anyone talked with Destination Services about what is happening with the shore excursions next Monday, 19 September when we are scheduled to be in Edinburgh?  King Charles III has declared a public holiday that day for the state funeral of his mother, so all public offices--including tourist sites like Stirling Castle--as well as many businesses will be closed.  Are shorex still on or have the local operators cancelled them completely?  Are shorex with public sites that will be closed being modified to include something else?

--Who is the CD?

Many thanks and see you soon,

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, loriva said:

For those currently on Splendor who are continuing with the British Isles itinerary departing this Saturday:

--Has anyone talked with Destination Services about what is happening with the shore excursions next Monday, 19 September when we are scheduled to be in Edinburgh?  King Charles III has declared a public holiday that day for the state funeral of his mother, so all public offices--including tourist sites like Stirling Castle--as well as many businesses will be closed.  Are shorex still on or have the local operators cancelled them completely?  Are shorex with public sites that will be closed being modified to include something else?

--Who is the CD?

Many thanks and see you soon,

Hi @loriva

No word yet on Sept. 19th.  I will try to ask Destination Services tomorrow.

Lorraine is our CD and when she leaves, David Nevin will replace her.  We have not heard the date of this switch.

Also, tonight as we returned from Berlin, we saw the face recognition machine as we boarded.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2022 at 2:53 AM, wishIweretravelling said:

A couple more observations re public spaces:

—The floor in the library is a composite material, not the leather you find on Explorer.

—The hallways in the cabin areas are lined with interesting photos, similar to what you see on Explorer.

—Maybe it’s my imagination, but Prime 7 appears to be much larger on this ship than on any of the others, which helps make it an uncramped lunch restaurant.

Re the entertainment: 

—Watch this name: Anne Van de Zee. She’s the lead female singer in the production cast, and is the best vocalist I’ve seen on a ship. Her voice and range are Broadway-qualify.

—I was a little disappointed that Boogie & Kashia were not playing on board. No need for disappointment. The duo playing in the Splendor Lounge, “Canny Sound Duo” Ryan and Jenny are excellent.

B & K should be back soon, I think.

12 hours ago, xrvlcruiser said:

Who is Head of Destinations?

Peggy,

Claudia Manzanares-Potts is Destination Services Manager.

@loriva I asked at Destination Services regarding Edinburgh and was told they would know something on September 15.  I will post when I have more information for us.

Edited by NCCruzQueen
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NCCruzQueen said:

@loriva I asked at Destination Services regarding Edinburgh and was told they would know something on September 15.  I will post when I have more information for us.

Thanks, Beth.  We fly tomorrow and looking forward to joining you on Saturday!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wishIweretravelling said:

Another difference from the other ships (unless they, too, have changed since May): Coffee Connection is open only in the morning. The self-service machines are there all day, but the barista and snacks are limited to the am. 

Well, apparently I’m a liar. It seems that it stays open until 4-6 pm. While that’s earlier than most other ships, it’s better than the impression I had of when it closes.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, loriva said:

-Has anyone talked with Destination Services about what is happening with the shore excursions next Monday, 19 September when we are scheduled to be in Edinburgh?  King Charles III has declared a public holiday that day for the state funeral of his mother. Are shorex with public sites that will be closed being modified to include something else

On twitter - As a mark of respect all Historic Scotland sites will be closed on 19th September, the day of HM Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral. Sites will reopen on 20th Sept. Pre-booked tickets for this day will be automatically refunded. Any queries contact ticketing@hes.scot.

Also all public museums, National and Scottish Trust properties and the Royal Yacht Britannia are also closed, Most major British stores are also closing - Even Costco is closing on Monday!

I am sure though that they will be able to find something as whilst many Scot's loved the Queen, there are many who still resent the British Monarchy so any businesses run by them will be open. If you are reasonably fit a walk up Arthur's Seat (above Holyrood) is lovely if the weather is OK.

And, if all else fails, you can find a pub with a big screen in Edinburgh and toast the Queen with a wee dram. State funerals are (I believe being far too young to have ever seen one) a sight to behold.

Edited by Techno123

1 hour ago, wishIweretravelling said:

Well, apparently I’m a liar. It seems that it stays open until 4-6 pm. While that’s earlier than most other ships, it’s better than the impression I had of when it closes.

Also, on some nights they have Italian drinks (wine, Aperol, etc) and canapés from 6-11 pm.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 5:52 PM, BBWC said:

Also, on some nights they have Italian drinks (wine, Aperol, etc) and canapés from 6-11 pm.

Yes, we are also noticing a bar waiter and food server available after dinner in Coffee Connection.  Passages occasionally shows a specific drink of the evening offered there……. Like we are still hungry after dinner!

• Haha 1

Another small difference from the other ships: at least in the Superior suites (and presumably Concierge as well, since they’re pretty much identical to Superior), the walk-in closet has a sliding door, and the closet light automatically comes on when you open it, and goes off when the door is closed.

At first this seemed like a nice feature, but it has its drawbacks. Some people have said that the door slides back and forth in rough waters (we’ve only found this to happen when we haven’t closed it all the way).  And, if you are changing clothes in the closet to avoid disturbing a sleeping cabin-mate, you can’t close the door unless you enjoy dressing in pitch darkness.