How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

ok, so right before lunch today I couldn't help myself and placed another bid (this time for a Deluxe obstructed balcony cabin)... I am really desperate for a balcony, but the balcony prices weren't acceptable a year ago when I booked nor are they now.

Two hours later I got an email that my bid wasn't accepted. I checked, and they rejected my first bid for the Standard Obstructed Balcony. I am now holding my breath that, maybe, we may get the Deluxe balcony... Standard would have been my first choice because of the pullman bed we all want for DS and easier access to the balcony, but I personally just want ANY balcony.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

ok, so right before lunch today I couldn't help myself and placed another bid (this time for a Deluxe obstructed balcony cabin)... I am really desperate for a balcony, but the balcony prices weren't acceptable a year ago when I booked nor are they now.

Two hours later I got an email that my bid wasn't accepted. I checked, and they rejected my first bid for the Standard Obstructed Balcony. I am now holding my breath that, maybe, we may get the Deluxe balcony... Standard would have been my first choice because of the pullman bed we all want for DS and easier access to the balcony, but I personally just want ANY balcony.

I must say it is looking pretty good for you! Crossing my fingers. 🤞🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently booked in an Inside cabin on the Lido deck on Discovery for the 10 day Sea of Cortez New Years cruise, which is my preferred location.  But decided to throw my hat in the ring and bid on a Deluxe Obstructed Balcony.  95 pp was the minimum bid so that's what I put down.  
Highly unlikely my bid will be accepted, but figured I'd give it a shot anyway.  I'm interested in those forward facing balconies on the bow of the ship and if I get one will feel like I won the lottery.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

10 day Sea of Cortez New Years cruise, which is my preferred location.  But decided to throw my hat in the ring and bid on a Deluxe Obstructed Balcony.  95 pp was the minimum bid so that's what I put down.

wow, that's cheap! My minimum bid of $210 pp for a 10 day Thanksgiving cruise, from inside to Deluxe Obstructed balcony, was just accepted. Good luck!

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

wow, that's cheap! My minimum bid of $210 pp for a 10 day Thanksgiving cruise, from inside to Deluxe Obstructed balcony, was just accepted. Good luck!

Wow, that was the minimum?  I thought you upbid to increase your chances.  Congrats on getting your upgrade!  It's always nice to have fresh air and a large window!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iamaqt2 said:

Wow, that was the minimum?  I thought you upbid to increase your chances.  Congrats on getting your upgrade!  It's always nice to have fresh air and a large window!

yes, that was the minimum. 🙂 Chances do not, apparently, depend on the bid amount.

Thank you!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I got it!!!!!! We are now in a Deluxe Obstructed balcony in a good location (we once were in a cabin right next door). Min bid of $210 pp.

Yay!!  We are still waiting for our guarantee balcony assignment for the same cruise.  Both of our traveling companion couples have received theirs already.  One a few weeks ago and one on Saturday.  Ours, still waiting! LOL  Glad you got your upgrade!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

yes, that was the minimum. 🙂 Chances do not, apparently, depend on the bid amount.

Thank you!

Probably depends on much interest there is in your original cabin category. Somebody probably got a bid accepted for it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

We bid the minimum on an upgrade from a BB balcony to a “deluxe balcony”…any idea when I should know if I got it or not? (It was $35 pp, for a 7 day thanksgiving on the Sky)

They have up to 3 days prior to sail date to accept or deny. Most find out before then. I’ve heard as far out as 30 days prior. Good luck!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1cruiselvr said:

Probably depends on much interest there is in your original cabin category. Somebody probably got a bid accepted for it. 

it was a regular inside cabin for 4. There were others available, so I don't think there was any interest in that in terms of upgrades/bids.

10 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

We bid the minimum on an upgrade from a BB balcony to a “deluxe balcony”…any idea when I should know if I got it or not? (It was $35 pp, for a 7 day thanksgiving on the Sky)

probably soon. I started hearing about bid acceptances for our TG cruise about 3 days ago.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I got it!!!!!! We are now in a Deluxe Obstructed balcony in a good location (we once were in a cabin right next door). Min bid of $210 pp.

Congratulations. I know it must be super exciting. We have a window suite and I placed bids to upgrade to a Penthouse suite. Moms turning 94 so I thought this would be a good idea. I’m finding out that our cruise is sold out. The only chance I think we will have if someone cancels at the last minute. It does happen. Not a lot so fingers crossed someone found a better cruise for them. 

• Like 4

On 10/18/2022 at 7:32 AM, jc foster said:

Received the following offers for bidding on our 10 day Emerald cruise in November. Wehad bee are currently in a premium balcony.   Sorry , I have never figured out how to post photos on this forum.    The following are lowest bids.   Penthouse  AFT $1205pp      Penthouse $1155 pp     Premium  Suite   $955 pp  Vista Suite $ 905 pp   Club Class Mini  $190 pp  Mini Suite $75 pp . I will probably bid on both minis. 

UPGRADE UPDATE :   A week ago to day I placed a bid of 150pp on the minisuite and a bid of 350pp on the club class minisuite. Today I was notified that the bid on the regular minisuite had been accepted. We sail in four weeks. The whole bidding process only took one week.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, jc foster said:

UPGRADE UPDATE :   A week ago to day I placed a bid of 150pp on the minisuite and a bid of 350pp on the club class minisuite. Today I was notified that the bid on the regular minisuite had been accepted. We sail in four weeks. The whole bidding process only took one week.

Nice to hear. We are in a similar situation. Reserved in a B2, bids placed on mini and CC mini. Our bids were higher but it is a 15day cruise. Not sailing until January, so I don't expect to hear anything soon, but this gives me some hope.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jc foster said:

Congratulations. It’s nice to hear that people are actually getting their bids won. I have noticed that the upgrade prices are all over the place. I’m guessing that it might be based on what you paid for your cabin. 

• Like 1

Apologies if this has been answered and I somehow skipped over the topic, but I'm wondering how the bidding will work with a B2B (20 days total) cruise that we booked and whether I'll be able to bid one time for the full cruise or will I have to bid it separately for the 10 day cruises.  We do not sail until February 17 on the Enchanted, so I am assuming we will get the email at the end of November.  We currently do not have an assigned cabin either, dreading the possibility of having 2 different cabins instead of 1.

Thank you for your help! 

23 minutes ago, always smiling said:

Apologies if this has been answered and I somehow skipped over the topic, but I'm wondering how the bidding will work with a B2B (20 days total) cruise that we booked and whether I'll be able to bid one time for the full cruise or will I have to bid it separately for the 10 day cruises.  We do not sail until February 17 on the Enchanted, so I am assuming we will get the email at the end of November.  We currently do not have an assigned cabin either, dreading the possibility of having 2 different cabins instead of 1.

Thank you for your help! 

You will have to bid on both separately.  
If you want the same cabin on both legs of the cruise, I would suggest booking a specific stateroom for both cruises now instead of banking on a guarantee to do that for you.  Then, mark them as no upgrade.  
Now, if you get different cabins in your assignment, you may as well go ahead and bid on both legs of the cruise .. since you’d have to move anyway.  

7 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

You will have to bid on both separately.  
If you want the same cabin on both legs of the cruise, I would suggest booking a specific stateroom for both cruises now instead of banking on a guarantee to do that for you.  Then, mark them as no upgrade.  
Now, if you get different cabins in your assignment, you may as well go ahead and bid on both legs of the cruise .. since you’d have to move anyway.  

Thank you, unfortunately, there were no balcony cabins available for this sailing, so we were forced to use the guarantee cabin to book.  Crossing my fingers we are assigned a cabin before the bidding starts so we at least know we have 1 cabin booked for the entire cruise.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RKSue said:

Congratulations. It’s nice to hear that people are actually getting their bids won. I have noticed that the upgrade prices are all over the place. I’m guessing that it might be based on what you paid for your cabin. 

Or at least based on you current category of cabin.  

My minimum bid of $200 per person to move from inside to a premium deluxe balcony was accepted on a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Discovery Princess.  I recieved a true aft balcony and wish to keep, does anyone know if they can still "upgrade" or move you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jtcoolk said:

My minimum bid of $200 per person to move from inside to a premium deluxe balcony was accepted on a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Discovery Princess.  I recieved a true aft balcony and wish to keep, does anyone know if they can still "upgrade" or move you?

If you bid and won and paid for the cabin I highly doubt they would move you. I have never heard of that happening with the bidding process. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

If you bid and won and paid for the cabin I highly doubt they would move you. I have never heard of that happening with the bidding process. 

Yes they could if a major issue came up move you, but it would not be part of the bidding process.  We were told we needed to move to a higher class of cabin due to a plumbing problem.  Were upgraded and given OBC.

This rarely  happens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1