Just off Apex, any questions?

samplecd02

11 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Actually, my DH wants to try it because he has heard good things!

Caymus is an excellent example of a big, beefy California Cabernet. Pre-Covid the group that produces Caymus had some sort of preferred business relationship with Celebrity and you could almost always get Caymus and Mer Soleil, which is their line of Chardonnay. Even the special Malbec.

Most big reds like that get drunk too early on the ship for my taste, so I stick with the cheaper more approachable reds or the Opulence, which isn’t cheap, but is quite good.

Maybe we can share a glass onboard in a few weeks!

Edited by cangelmd
  • Like 1

We will be on the Apex next year from Amsterdam to Athens in a Sky Suite. I am following this thread and look forward to your review. We returned home last week after spending 5 weeks in Italy, Greece, Croatia and Turkey. We had 24 cruising days and 12 land days total.

Edited by terrydtx

Greece & Turkey are arguing about the Aegean. I’m not particularly worried about it at the moment. Though with Erdogan who knows. 

Im a U.K. Cypriot so I do get a bit antsy when they argue as that can mean bad news for Cyprus & inevitably my family there.  

Going on the Apex in a month's time with my daughter and wondering whether to get her the soda package or the kids package. The kids package lists that it includes milkshakes, smoothies and slushies but when I look through the menus on the app I don't see any bars that do these.  Did you spot these?

44 minutes ago, dritan said:

Going on the Apex in a month's time with my daughter and wondering whether to get her the soda package or the kids package. The kids package lists that it includes milkshakes, smoothies and slushies but when I look through the menus on the app I don't see any bars that do these.  Did you spot these?

I did not see any kids on my cruise, but I remember seeing smoothies on the menu in Luminae for breakfast. I would assume any MDR could make one.

16 hours ago, dritan said:

I believe Cafe al Bacio has some items that would be classified as shakes. I've read some people are very fond of the IGLU which essentially is a coffee frappe. I'm very much looking forward to trying (at least) one of those on our Apex cruise in January.

20 hours ago, dritan said:

I think a lot of the frozen drinks at the bars can be made virgin, for a slushie or a thinner milk shake. Smoothies are made at the Spa Cafe (breakfast and lunch) and Eden Cafe (breakfast and lunch).A real milkshake made of ice cream with or without milk plus flavoring - I’m not sure about how to get that, maybe a good question for the kid’s staff? I know you used to be able to get a real affrogato at Al Bacio (gelato with an espresso), but not sure about now.

Just curious we are coming in about 30 days and catching her in Rome for a B2B and then the TA home . Do people dress up little more in Europe on formal nights vs the Caribbean? I say it’s pretty lax here I mean a nice shirt and pants go over here . Just debating on bringing a jacket and some nicer shirts vs Hawaiian type. Thanks . 

In the chic nights, people were wearing what I would call "business attire". Nothing outrageously formal like evening gowns and tuxes.

The retreat lounge was crowded during special events and during tea time. I rarely went in there as my balcony was big enough. The pool area the one time I went there was empty but the weather wasnt really cooperating much. (lots of rain) 
Luminae was nice but being in an Edge Villa I mostly ate at the specialty restaurants. Hubby is on a Keto diet and Prime Cuts fit his dietary needs perfectly.

1 hour ago, LaughingAndSplashing said:

Did you encounter anyone who had to be quarantined from being exposed to someone who tested positive? 

Hubby and I are sailing on the Apex in Feb. and looking forward to it! 

I asked on the 9th (out of 10 days) if there were any positive cases and I was told there were NONE!

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 7:05 PM, dritan said:

Thanks all - still contemplating which package to go for... but thinking kids package as she isn't going to benefit from the non alcohol one as she doesn't drink coffee related products. 

To dritan:   We were on Edge in April with a toddler.  We were in retreat, so he probably had the highest non-alcoholic package as it was included in the package. That said, I would probably go with the kids package and for the few times either due to need, availability, or lack of substitues, you need to pay up for an uberfancy frozen drink, you pay.  Depending the package you may have, and the order, they may not even really track it.  We never really had to think about it, but there was really only a few things our child drank...water (read below), an occasional lemonade (regular and blended), juice because it was ubiquitous during breakfast, club soda with a spritz of cranberry (as a special drink), or twice a frozen fruity drink when everyone else was having one and it was toasty on the resort deck.  Most of the time there would not have been time or place to have unlimited frozen drinks, etc.  As for what fell in what package, and what drinks were actually available it was sometimes fuzzy in the heat and rush of things. There are menus and qr codes around if one has time.

We can confirm what the above poster said re frozen drinks.  It depended on the location and ingredients available.  We found the bartenders could also improvise as they had access to blenders and clean ice (in contrast some bars not on the ship, for example MGM Grand in Vegas, use slushy machines and can't do anything custom).   The ship bars also sometimes have multiple ways to accomplish the same drink. For example, they may have access to Monin syrups, fresh fruit purees, lemons and limes, simple syrup, but also Sprite, or the vitamin water.  This mean a few different ways to make a frozen lemonade, which to my knowledge would fall under the regular drink plan.  We found it best to ask and engage the bartenders about their recipe or give suggestions, if needed, if somewhere else that may have whatever it is you may need, etc.  This was actually the same for alcohol drinks.  Sometimes they'd mix the alchol in the blender, but if they were making two virgins and one with alcohol they'd just top off one with rum or the appropriate booze after the blending. 

At most bars they will have blue cartons of artificial vanilla soft serve mix that is multipurpose and used for creamier drinks.  This is also what goes in the softserve machine and possibly even is a hard ice cream base depending on the product.  Hard ice cream is available at the scoop stand near the buffet, and across from Bacio 2.  Hence why you sometimes see people talk about affagatos. The ice cream in the dining rooms tended to be less interesting and maybe of differing quality.  Note, for some reason there is a small charge for gelato.  We didn't notice a quality or temp difference between the ice cream or desiganted gelato product, except if it's a flavor you want.  No package gets one access to the gelato which is mind boggling considering some of the packages are largely irrelevant for someone not drinking booze or unlimited smoothies, yet cost in excess of the gelato charge. 

Access to the smoothies, shakes from the ice cream stand, etc. are going to be limited given the locations, need/interest and substitutes.  For example, is one having a smoothing immediately after having a burger and softserve from the mast grill?  Probably not. 

Note about water...this will be self evident, but if you are traveling with a child you'll want to talk about and evaluate the aluminum bottles used on most cruises.  They can be sharp when opening, and afterward on the cap, rim, and the remaining ring.  Many bar tenders will have gloves or bandaids for this reason, and sometimes intentionally open the bottles for guests.  In any event, we found it easiest to dump the contents of the water bottle in a water bottle from home. 

Finally, our child had a fantastic time even though there were few children on board, and none of the splashpads or other stuff some ships have.  The kids club staff was gracious and would share some of the supplies and activities for us to do on our schedule.  And, it's a great way for a child to have some friends up dining experiences they wouldn't always have.  Non-sugar snacks in the afternoon may need to be carefully procureed like veggies and fruit from the OVC or room service.  And, salty snacks are hard to come by generally.  The crew overall was attentive and respectful of the few kids onboard, and all were well behaved.  Tip, if at OVC or somewhere else where an extra hand may be needed to have food and drinks at the same time, ask. There's a lot of staff, and they will be helping someone.  Might as well be you.  

Have a terrific cruise. 

5 hours ago, samplecd02 said:

I asked on the 9th (out of 10 days) if there were any positive cases and I was told there were NONE!

But they rely on people to test & then report back. Not sure everyone would if they felt just a bit under the weather. We always travel with test kits but not everyone I know does. 

• 4 months later...
On 9/13/2022 at 10:14 AM, Lastdance said:

Actually, my DH wants to try it because he has heard good things!

We had the premium package so were only looking at the by the glass menu and didn’t look at what bottles were for sale. Especially when the Martini bar after dinner was so good!
The wine list they give you is never complete and you had to ask for wine you’d had elsewhere in the ship or describe what you wanted and they would bring us a taster. We’re used to big Aussie reds. 

I asked to order off the desert wine menu and they they said “we haven’t had any of that for 6 months!”

Edited by Li and Craig
  • Thanks 1