New England / Canada : Voyager of the Seas Sept 18th - Sept 25th. Semi-Live

alexgtp

43 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That Lobster must be super small for that price

30 minutes ago, alexgtp said:

Whatever the legal size for Maine lobsters is.. that's what you are getting. They literally have a legal size limit.

Our Operator told us actual legal size limit was,  but of course I don't pay attention. So sorry! You can Google it.

They're about a pound and a quarter.  They call 'em chickens, or chix.  They're usually what you get with the twin specials many places run.  I can field strip and consume one of them things in about a minute and a half, right down to their spindly little legs! 🦞😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There is a minimum size and a maximum size in Maine.  They measure the carapace (body) from the eye to the beginning of the tail.  Minimum is 3 1/4" which are chicken lobsters 1 - 1/4 lbs. The maximum are called Jumbos and are 5 inches.  Jumbos run up to 4 pounds.  Everything else must be thrown back. 

• Like 2

Thank you for posting.   I have a few questions.

I noticed on the first cruise compass a number of items.  
1- arrivecan-   I thought you have to show it before boarding. You didn’t mention it.   They say everyone needs to do it or the ship may be denied docking.  Have you heard of anyone not completing it?

2- the compass mentions a Canadian customs declaration form.  What do they expect people to declare?

3-about animal sightings.  Never saw that on a cruise compass before.  What animals might one spot on the ship besides service animals and birds?  

thanx,

Erika

53 minutes ago, birdylady said:

Thank you for posting.   I have a few questions.

I noticed on the first cruise compass a number of items.  
1- arrivecan-   I thought you have to show it before boarding. You didn’t mention it.   They say everyone needs to do it or the ship may be denied docking.  Have you heard of anyone not completing it?

2- the compass mentions a Canadian customs declaration form.  What do they expect people to declare?

3-about animal sightings.  Never saw that on a cruise compass before.  What animals might one spot on the ship besides service animals and birds?  

thanx,

Erika

You need to fill out ArriveCAN. They have not asked for it as of Today.

You do need fill out customs form , needs to be submitted day before 1st Canadian port. They will leave form in room and you can drop off in drop box located shore excursion desk. They ask questions, are you carrying weapons, drugs etc etc..

We saw a ton of Harbor seals hanging out in Port of Portland. And of course birds everywhere. loons, eagles and others I did not recognize.

I'm still waiting on some whales to show three awesomeness this trip.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alexgtp said:

So I looked for whale watching excursions in Portland somehow nothing cam up. My Google Fi was weak. Turns out odyssey offers a whale tour at 10am on shore days. Found this company walking around town.PXL_20220919_162223888.thumb.jpg.d4df04450853640ecf4133bb806e6ac3.jpg

If you are adventurous and want to get your hands dirty how about a love working lobster boat.

PXL_20220919_162236925.thumb.jpg.fbcce9fe1a9779abd37b1400c6f46d28.jpg

We’ve gone out with Lucky Catch before!  Learned a lot and had a great time!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

Would you mind confirming for me who the master is (no, not your wife, though she is). TIA

Capt. Thor Thorsson boarded for the TA on 9/4.  He was quarantined with Covid most of the cruise so the Staff Captain (who did a fantastic job) took over.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

Capt. Thor Thorsson boarded for the TA on 9/4.  He was quarantined with Covid most of the cruise so the Staff Captain (who did a fantastic job) took over.

He has such an awesome name.  He was Captain when i was on Grandeur back in 2017.

Arrived to St John NB. 2 hours delayed getting off ship due to no ramp set up for exit and changing tides 

I would recommend you book an excursion beforehand since we are about .5 miles walk from downtown area. We are docked in Long Wharf  and nothing much here but a parking lot and a makeshift tent where you wait for excursions.

The rain sort of ruined our plans. We made it downtown and got hit with a torrential down pour, so we opted to walk back to ship and just enjoy another day on board. Good thing we did because it's still raining off and on .

PXL_20220920_131823384.thumb.jpg.38269dc94f180289ba7b2c79168116b4.jpgPXL_20220920_134406027.thumb.jpg.5a772c7cc0f220fc1f1beb7d79009d23.jpg

PXL_20220920_134209845.thumb.jpg.f1267717f05894d0c0703abf896cdc0d.jpg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, E&D2004 said:

FWIW,  it looks like Fiona may be headed your way.  We were on Explorer this time in 2008 on Canada cruise from NYC.  We skipped Sydney and spent an extra night in Quebec City because of Hurricane Kyle.  Good luck.

We were on the same cruise!!  It was just the best cruise and loved the extra time in Quebec!  

5 minutes ago, E&D2004 said:

The fog when we went up the Saguenay Fjord was creepy.

It was! I remember leaving the show room to catch a peak and you could see the Fjords through the clouds and fog, it looked like we were really close to them,  I went back inside and decided to forget about it and keep my fingers crossed!  😳

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, E&D2004 said:

FWIW,  it looks like Fiona may be headed your way.  We were on Explorer this time in 2008 on Canada cruise from NYC.  We skipped Sydney and spent an extra night in Quebec City because of Hurricane Kyle.  Good luck.

This is exactly what happened to us in 2004 with Hurricane Igor - skipped Sydney with the extra night in QC.  I think it was an awesome solution as I love QC.  I leave on Voyager next Sunday, and fully expect some interesting seas (again) as that's just when Fiona will be that far north.