New England / Canada : Voyager of the Seas Sept 18th - Sept 25th. Semi-Live

alexgtp

7 hours ago, rudeney said:

I'm most interested in hearing about the boarding experience in Boston.  We've never sailed from there and I hear it's not very well managed like the other RCCL-dedicated terminals they use year round.  

We have taken many cruises out of Boston, the terminal is very old and was used by the military.  They  re-habed a section in the 1980's and it is usually very pleasant and it is easy to embark from Boston.  They have in the past lots of workers who make it smooth.  That was not the case this summer. 

But the Voyager is much larger ship than those that usually embark from the Falcon Pier.  We took a cruise last month  on the Nieuw Statendam also a large ship and they used what is normally the area where luggage is collected and then loaded onto the ship.  It was not pleasant, it is not air-conditioned, and instead of the long counter where they check people in, they set up temporary tables inside.  I only saw about 6 check in stations vs. the 25 or more along the counter.  We spent quite a long time in a line outside longer than a football field to get to the security.  The security line snaked along to some portable security stations, then another snaking line to show our Arrivecan paperwork, we finally got to check in.  The good news no line, because the others were so slow letting people through the 6 people could handle it.  Those that came early before the ship let people board spent hours sitting in this part of the building in the heat.   I am hoping this will not happen again.  We are not getting there early but the last possible check in time. 

• Thanks 1

Well heck if everyone else is going, I’m going too!

Alex, Cooncat, Thrifty and Georgemoe, Mrs Eddie and I will also be there.

The ArriveCan appears to have worked on my phone app so far, but I can’t proceed further until the 72 hour mark, but I think I really have to wait for the 48 hour mark as wont the arriveCan want a negative Covid test?

i could be wrong on that, these Covid changes has flummoxed me a tad.

Eddie Wilson

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Well heck if everyone else is going, I’m going too!

Alex, Cooncat, Thrifty and Georgemoe, Mrs Eddie and I will also be there.

The ArriveCan appears to have worked on my phone app so far, but I can’t proceed further until the 72 hour mark, but I think I really have to wait for the 48 hour mark as wont the arriveCan want a negative Covid test?

i could be wrong on that, these Covid changes has flummoxed me a tad.

Eddie Wilson

No, the test has to be presented at the port terminal.  Beware that within the ArriveCAN app, even though you tell it you are on a cruise ship, it will wrongly tell you that no test is needed.  It is wrong.  The rest of ArriveCAN just wants to know what ship, when you board, what your first port is, and some general health questions like any other countries you've visited and if you've had COVID symptoms.  That's it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, georgemoe said:

We are also on this sailing. DW, MIL, and I have connecting Promenade Interiors. Our first interior. We rarely use our balcony but DW usually insists. This time I get to try one. 

We did a Promenade cabin several years ago.  We loved it!  We usually do balconies, but I had wanted to try the Promenade.  I loved that there are 2 love seats in the room, the 2nd one at the window, where you can "people watch".  Enjoy your cabin, as well as your cruise!😉

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

We did a Promenade cabin several years ago.  We loved it!  We usually do balconies, but I had wanted to try the Promenade.  I loved that there are 2 love seats in the room, the 2nd one at the window, where you can "people watch".  Enjoy your cabin, as well as your cruise!😉

Glad you enjoyed the room Luckynana. We are hoping to as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

No, the test has to be presented at the port terminal.  Beware that within the ArriveCAN app, even though you tell it you are on a cruise ship, it will wrongly tell you that no test is needed.  It is wrong.  The rest of ArriveCAN just wants to know what ship, when you board, what your first port is, and some general health questions like any other countries you've visited and if you've had COVID symptoms.  That's it. 

Like I said I am flummoxed, and have not previously completed ArriveCan.

So are you saying I (More like WE in this thread) Can complete the ArriveCan items 72 hours prior.....that would be Thursday of this week?

Eddie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Like I said I am flummoxed, and have not previously completed ArriveCan.

So are you saying I (More like WE in this thread) Can complete the ArriveCan items 72 hours prior.....that would be Thursday of this week?

Eddie

You can download the ArriveCAN app, create an account and enter all the information about the travelers in your group (name, passport ID, DOB, snapshot of vaccine card) anytime. 

Then, no more than three days before boarding (so beginning Thursday for sailing on Sunday) you can complete the trip details: ship (Voyager), boarding date (9/18/2022), first port (Saint John New Brunswick Marine Terminal), port arrival date (9/21/2022).  You also have to answer a few COVID-related questions, but nothing about testing.  In fact, the app will erroneously say testing is not required, but it is for cruise ships.  Once you have done all that, you'll get the QR cade that no one will ever ask to see (because its all tied to the ships passenger manifest). 

Lastly, beginning two days before boarding (Friday), you need to get an observed COVID test and present the result to the terminal personnel when checking-in.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rudeney said:

You can download the ArriveCAN app, create an account and enter all the information about the travelers in your group (name, passport ID, DOB, snapshot of vaccine card) anytime. 

Then, no more than three days before boarding (so beginning Thursday for sailing on Sunday) you can complete the trip details: ship (Voyager), boarding date (9/18/2022), first port (Saint John New Brunswick Marine Terminal), port arrival date (9/21/2022).  You also have to answer a few COVID-related questions, but nothing about testing.  In fact, the app will erroneously say testing is not required, but it is for cruise ships.  Once you have done all that, you'll get the QR cade that no one will ever ask to see (because its all tied to the ships passenger manifest). 

Lastly, beginning two days before boarding (Friday), you need to get an observed COVID test and present the result to the terminal personnel when checking-in.  

Thank you for that clear answer.  Now I guess I just need to test negative 

Eddie

I completed the ArriveCAN today. A few questions later and I am now legal to enter Canada. 

Tomorrow night we will do our eMED proctored Covid tests. I have used these on our past 3 cruises. I like them for their convenience and ease to do at home.  

You will need to know your cabin number so have that handy. If you are traveling with multi ppl and they are on your ArriveCAN you will also need their room number.

1 more day of work tomorrow and ready set GO!!!

image.thumb.png.280a151be13516fe56b64704c919e3d2.png

Edited by alexgtp
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, alexgtp said:

I completed the ArriveCAN today. A few questions later and I am now legal to enter Canada. 

Tomorrow night we will do our eMED proctored Covid tests. I have used these on our past 3 cruises. I like them for their convenience and ease to do at home.  

1 more day of work tomorrow and ready set GO!!!

image.thumb.png.280a151be13516fe56b64704c919e3d2.png

Did you get the QR code in an email or on the app?

9 minutes ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

Did you get the QR code in an email or on the app?

App and they will also email you a copy. I printed my form out. easier to use when checking in at Pier (or so I hope).

Edited by alexgtp
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, alexgtp said:

You will need to know your cabin number so have that handy. If you are traveling with multi ppl and they are on your ArriveCAN you will also need their room number.

I started a "mock" trip in ArriveCAN and I thought I saw the the cabin number was listed as optional.  

On 9/13/2022 at 7:31 PM, georgemoe said:

Glad you enjoyed the room Luckynana. We are hoping to as well.

We’ve done Promenade rooms too and enjoyed them. It’s fun sitting on the loveseat watching people.  We booked one for this trip, but I upbid on a balcony and 24 hours later we were moved to that. Truthfully, I just like being on a ship! Just finished ArriveCAN. Wow. It spelled my name wrong and had to re-do it which was pretty funny since it lifted my information from my passport!

We’ve cruised out of Boston before and it hasn’t been bad.  This time we have The Key so hoping that will get us on fairly quickly, especially since we’re taking the train and will be at the pier by 11:30 (Key boarding time) otherwise we’ll have to just stand around till 12:30. (Talk about a First-world problem…😆😆😆)

Edited by cooncat_mom
Had to complain about ArriveCAN
  • Like 1

Hoping OP has/is having a safe and enjoyable trip to Boston.  Anxious to hear about the embarkation experience tomorrow!

I hate to ask this if it's going out of your way, @alexgtp, would you be able to grab a picture of the price list in the spa?  I can't find a current shot of one anywhere.  I'm considering surprising DW with some sort of facial or massage, but would like to compare pre-booking with on board discounts on port days, etc..  TIA!!!

2 hours ago, Broons77 said:

Hoping OP has/is having a safe and enjoyable trip to Boston.  Anxious to hear about the embarkation experience tomorrow!

I hate to ask this if it's going out of your way, @alexgtp, would you be able to grab a picture of the price list in the spa?  I can't find a current shot of one anywhere.  I'm considering surprising DW with some sort of facial or massage, but would like to compare pre-booking with on board discounts on port days, etc..  TIA!!!

Leaving in a few hours!

Will do. We usually like to walk around the ship and explore, I am sure wife will need to check out the SPA for informational purposes :-) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you kindly!  If you could pass along anything she deems a good deal, please do let me know!

Safe travels!  Beautiful day here today and looks good aside from a bit of unsettle early on in the week.  Not much color in the local area but imagine it's getting pretty up north.  It should be a wonderful trip!

On 9/13/2022 at 11:50 AM, georgemoe said:

I'm thinking of doing bike tours in Portland with Lighthouse Bikes ( https://rentle.store/lighthousebikes/product/pEf4CgBwUeiPyNuPZOsi)  and in Saint John the Sites & Suds tour with ( http://insideoutnaturecentre.com/bike-tours). 

I live in Saint John across from the Cruise terminal.  I am sure you probably already know this, but just an FYI that it appears the Sites & Suds tour starts in Rockwood Park which is not near the port so you would need to arrange transportation.  It should be around 5-10 minute drive depending on traffic.  We do not have Uber/Lyft here but taxis should be readily available. 

image.png.b9e69957cd06bd8e1cd8fb71f81ed8ba.png

• Like 1

Arrived safely to Logan.

It was a smooth and super quick flight from Chicago.

PXL_20220918_105033785.thumb.jpg.d797e6306379e5db02455c4a4ce033c9.jpg

Sunrise flight with a great view.

PXL_20220918_105059144.thumb.jpg.ba7327df2b55fe6325c7b90804153b40.jpg

Just waiting for RCL shuttle transfer.. Starts about 11am.

Perfect , because our check in is at 12pm.

Looks like the pier will be super busy today.

One of my favorite ships Joy will also be in port. We have sailed her 3 times  She brings us lots of memories and JOY 😊.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Broons77 said:

Good luck @alexgtp!  Going to be a busy day at the terminal with all these boats in port!

image.thumb.png.9e0ec213657a9de26653649a8b0500ca.png

Wow - I don't think I've ever seen three ships in port in Boston. I used to be able to see the port from my apartment and still can from my office. I remember one night shortly before my first cruise seeing I think Anthem in port as I went on a run and being mesmerized by it. She must have been stopping in a transatlantic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rubyfisch said:

Wow - I don't think I've ever seen three ships in port in Boston. I used to be able to see the port from my apartment and still can from my office. I remember one night shortly before my first cruise seeing I think Anthem in port as I went on a run and being mesmerized by it. She must have been stopping in a transatlantic.

I thought Anthem actually did the NE/Canada itinerary several years back for a season, but could be wrong.  Would love to have her homeported for a Caribbean itinerary, but Royal keeps refusing my calls 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Checked in and waiting in holding area.

We can't board due to coast guard having to inspect ship,  should be boarding in about 15 min. We hope!

Protip#1111 RCL transport service front of line service  if your flight is early I recommend using it 

Check in was easy.,  3 places they checked Covid test, setsail pass and passport. So  keep everything out. Entry level than upstairs area and waiting area in photos below.

This is a congested dock especially with 3 ships in port.

PXL_20220918_151243289.thumb.jpg.3ce50973fb9f45d5f8a9621a6197bf5e.jpgPXL_20220918_151339866.thumb.jpg.c60b4e8dcb42a6b505b631dffe7362f0.jpgPXL_20220918_152143930.thumb.jpg.f09063af0931f16ffb3b013943d0c51b.jpg

here is my view from waiting room of Voyager.PXL_20220918_152357316.thumb.jpg.f923d097b8ff622ba6dc73aa947b8e1a.jpg

PXL_20220918_152147001.jpg

• Like 2