How to stream Netflix on an Ipad on a European Cruise with a USA Account

shirazcruiser

We have streamed Netflix on Caribbean and USA cruises using an Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter, an HDMI cord and a Samsung remote.   We have a 19 day European cruise scheduled and DH needs to stream!  Does anyone have any experience streaming Netflix in Europe with a USA account?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.    

10 minutes ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Yes you will need to use a VPN. I used Express VPN while in Europe a few weeks ago. 

https://www.expressvpn.com

Thank you!  I just checked it out and it's $12.95 for 1 month.  DH is happy!  When you click on the Netflix app on the ship, will it ask for a VPN?

Edited by shirazcruiser

35 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

Thank you!  I just checked it out and it's $12.95 for 1 month.  DH is happy!  When you click on the Netflix app on the ship, will it ask for a VPN?

No, you will need to start up the VPN using the provider's app first, then go to Netflix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As others say you will need a VPN account -  ExpressVPN and NordVPN are both rather reliable.

Only warning is to make sure you subscribe and download the software prior to the cruise.   Every ship I've been on in the past 12 months have had all VPN sites blocked from browsers but the VPN's work perfect once installed. 

You basically  you open the VPN app and select a location and then open Netflix.   If it still tells you it is blocked try a different city.   Sometime if too many people are using the same IP address it is flagged as a VPN connection.

You can play around with it in advance to see how it works and confirm everything is working ok. 

Edited by Jim_Iain

7 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

When you do this, do you need to be on the ship wifi before clicking the VPN link? If yes, what level of ship wifi do you need?

Yes you must first connect to the ships Wifi before enabling VPN.   You must have an internet connection to connect to VPN Server.    A premium internet package will be required.   Even with a premium the connection can be a bit dicey at time.

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes you must first connect to the ships Wifi before enabling VPN.   You must have an internet connection to connect to VPN Server.    A premium internet package will be required.   Even with a premium the connection can be a bit dicey at time.

Jim - does having a travel wireless router like you reported having actually help?  I know you said you used it since you were using multiple devices.  Being in a suite, we'll have the 2 free premium wi-fi packages. 

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I leave the VPN on all the time. Even when going into and out of airplane mode it reconnects to the VPN server when reconnected to the internet. That is how it works with the Nord VPN app. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shirazcruiser said:

Jim - does having a travel wireless router like you reported having actually help?  I know you said you used it since you were using multiple devices.  Being in a suite, we'll have the 2 free premium wi-fi packages. 

I use a travel router more as a range extender than as a router.     I have a really long USB cable and move it to as close to the door and as near to the router in the hall as possible. 

If using a streaming device you will then need to have VPN access.   Firestick has apps you can use but Roku doesn't.    If using Roku I have to connect my Laptop to Internet - Turn on Hotspot  -  Connect Roku to PC Hotspot and then Start VPN.    While I don't personally like Firestick it works much better with VPN app than using another link in the chain.

Edited by Jim_Iain

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

If using a streaming device you will then need to have VPN access.   Firestick has apps you can use but Roku doesn't.    If using Roku I have to connect my Laptop to Internet - Turn on Hotspot  -  Connect Roku to PC Hotspot and then Start VPN.    While I don't personally like Firestick it works much better with VPN app than using another link in the chain.

I am using an iPad, Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter, an HDMI cord and a Samsung remote to stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Food Network via their downloaded apps.  I plan to sign up for Express VPN for a month, download Express app prior to leaving and practice at home. On the ship, connect to the wi-fi, open VPN app and then click on Netflix app. Am I missing anything?  

Also, thank you for posting the router on your Greenland thread - I was looking at the same one. 

Edited by shirazcruiser
  • Like 2

You should have perfectly.    You can confirm your IP address by just googling on what's my IP address and then turn on VPN and do it again and should show new IP.   There are some sites that will tell you IP location but they aren't always correct.

YOu can also practice at home.    Once you have the VPN you can choose a location in Europe and see if Netflix rejects you or not and then try a U.S. server.  

23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You should have perfectly.    You can confirm your IP address by just googling on what's my IP address and then turn on VPN and do it again and should show new IP.   There are some sites that will tell you IP location but they aren't always correct.

YOu can also practice at home.    Once you have the VPN you can choose a location in Europe and see if Netflix rejects you or not and then try a U.S. server.  

Thanks for all of the info!  I'm making a document with all of your tips!  DH willing sails on long cruises, but has to have his TV shows.  After almost 50 cruises, we're no longer interested in the evening shows, ship tv has gone downhill and wanting to rest up for the following day's longer tours while in Europe...we just want to kick back at night, read the paper on our iPads and watch a little TV.  I feel pretty confident I'm set!

• Like 1

If you have Amazon Prime, they allow you to download shows on a device and play later. I also burn DVDs on my computer and load the files on my pad to watch on ships where I don't have wifi. There are probably some good Rick Steves and other travel videos you can burn and download of the places you're visiting. Celebrity also has many video-on-demand movies, classic and modern, all genres, and I've never failed to find something interesting. Watching Netflix in Europe is quite the bucket list item, though,  I'm sure it will be a treasured travel memory. 

2 hours ago, rj59 said:

If you have Amazon Prime, they allow you to download shows on a device and play later. I also burn DVDs on my computer and load the files on my pad to watch on ships where I don't have wifi. There are probably some good Rick Steves and other travel videos you can burn and download of the places you're visiting. Celebrity also has many video-on-demand movies, classic and modern, all genres, and I've never failed to find something interesting. Watching Netflix in Europe is quite the bucket list item, though,  I'm sure it will be a treasured travel memory. 

All the streaming services have downloading to play later. I download movies and shows from Prime, Netflix, HBO Max, Apple TV + and Disney Plus directly to my iPad before I travel. More than I can watch so I have a choice.  No need to burn DVDs. Setting up a router, Firestick etc I don’t see the point when I can download content at home ahead of time except if I were doing really long cruises like a 21 day cruise or a bunch of back to backs. Then I could see some point to it. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 6:50 PM, shirazcruiser said:

We have streamed Netflix on Caribbean and USA cruises using an Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter, an HDMI cord and a Samsung remote.   We have a 19 day European cruise scheduled and DH needs to stream!  Does anyone have any experience streaming Netflix in Europe with a USA account?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.    

Late to the game, but as @Charles4515 said, you can ignore the VPN and just download whatever shows you want to watch before you leave. Then, you can watch at your leisure without an internet connection.

Of course, if it's a show that isn't released until you are on the cruise, then you will need the VPN solution so excellently described above.

On 9/18/2022 at 7:00 PM, rams1976 said:

Just stay at home and watch Netflix.

Some of us like to watch on the treadmill when the weather on the outer decks forces us inside.  And the OP says it helps her get to sleep.  Its not for everyone.

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jim, I've decided to leave my Roku stick home this time for upcoming 24 night B2B and just use my phone HDMI adapter, retractable HDMI cable (it's big but not as awkward), and Samsung universal remote.  Have also discovered many of the TV apps on my phone don't even need my VPN (Netflix and Prime Video always do, of course).  I have hundreds of movies on a micro SD card in my tablet so if wifi stinks, I can still watch movies.