Possible storm in the Caribbean late next week--HURRICANE IAN THREAD*********

jxtgreek

Guest BasicSailor
14 minutes ago, BeachDiva101 said:

Yeah, I keep looking on their website, but still nothing.  I am not on twitter.  When I called Carnival, they said they will do an email with the news in the next 24 hrs.

Most of my cruising alerts came from twitter for Carnival information.  

4 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Most of my cruising alerts came from twitter for Carnival information.  

Well, if anyone is on twitter and sees any current information from Carnival, please pass it along here.  I would greatly appreciate it.  thank you in advance.

• Like 1

Supposed to leave on the Paradise tomorrow, Sept. 24th returning on the 29th.  DeSantis declared a state of emergency for certain areas. So many questions and no answers at this point.  I guess we just have to wait.  Please keep the info coming.  Thank you  Paul

• Like 1

For those leaving on Paradise tomorrow I would be interested in any communication you get from Carnival.  I'm on the Paradise on the 29th and my wife wants me to cancel (we live in Tampa).  I don't want to cancel.  I wish Carnival would do some communication.  

Guest BasicSailor
2 hours ago, jxtgreek said:

What happens if the Port of Tampa closes on Wednesday due to the storm?  What happens to those currently on the ship and those about to get on?  I wish Carnival would do some communication.

There is always a lack of communication from the CruiseLine. Actually, you won't receive any info until the last possible moment as to where, what and how. 

Guest BasicSailor
3 hours ago, jeffr6596 said:

Leaving on the Ecstacy Monday 26 out of Mobile returning Oct 1..  I assume if the storm stays on course we would have very little impact other than some rocking in the crib nights.  Am I “on track”?

Rock Ola! 😉

We Live on the West Coast of Florida. We are currently under a state of emergency due to hurricane Ian.  We are going to do preparedness today by putting down our hurricane shutters, packing a few items and getting some documents together. They are saying we can get 110 mph winds and we could lose our home. We can go to my work if we have to evacuate. We are supposed to sail on the freedom on October 6 for our 37th wedding anniversary. Thank you. 

We also live in Bradenton, close to the coast.  We have a 4th floor condo, so flooding wouldn’t be an issue (except for our cars).  I looked at flights to evacuate to family up north.  It would be far cheaper to get on a ship on Monday.  If the weather is still extreme on Friday, the ship might not dock until the next day, keeping us safe.  I need to think about this carefully, because ships are almost sold out but we will be obligated once we book.  Can anyone offer anything I haven’t thought of because I am so stressed?

386B8264-BA86-4A44-B115-38F352668F0E.png

453A0FFE-7888-4C36-8A50-FB99861D54CF.png

Guest BasicSailor
15 hours ago, BeachDiva101 said:

Well, if anyone is on twitter and sees any current information from Carnival, please pass it along here.  I would greatly appreciate it.  thank you in advance.

From John Heald.

The ships that have changes to their itineraries are:
Carnival Freedom:
Mon Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL 3:30 PM
Tue Fun Day @ Sea
Wed Amber Cove, Dominican Republic 10:30 AM 6:30 PM
Thu Fun Day @ Sea
Fri Nassau, The Bahamas 7:00 AM 3:00 PM
Sat Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL 8:00 AM
Mardi Gras
Sat Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL 4:00 PM
Sun Fun Day @ Sea
Mon Fun Day @ Sea
Tue San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00 AM 4:00 PM
Wed Amber Cove, Dominican Republic 9:00 AM 6:00 PM
Thu Fun Day @ Sea
Fri Nassau, The Bahamas 7:00 AM 3:00 PM
Sat Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL 7:00 AM
Carnival Sunrise
Sat Miami, FL 3:30 PM
Sun Nassau, The Bahamas 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
Mon Half Moon Cay, The Bahamas 8:00 AM 4:00 PM
Tue Fun Day @ Sea
Wed Bimini, The Bahamas 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
Thu Miami, FL 8:00 AM

47 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We also live in Bradenton, close to the coast.  We have a 4th floor condo, so flooding wouldn’t be an issue (except for our cars).  I looked at flights to evacuate to family up north.  It would be far cheaper to get on a ship on Monday.  If the weather is still extreme on Friday, the ship might not dock until the next day, keeping us safe.  I need to think about this carefully, because ships are almost sold out but we will be obligated once we book.  Can anyone offer anything I haven’t thought of because I am so stressed?

You could take the Amtrak Auto Train north. I believe it runs from near Orlando to near Wash. D.C.

3 minutes ago, mondello said:

You could take the Amtrak Auto Train north. I believe it runs from near Orlando to near Wash. D.C.

That is a good idea, thank you. But….  Price for train is $854 plus lodging, car, and food for several days.  Cheapest cabins are $521 (Carnival) or $726 (Royal, includes internet).  

• Host Carolyn changed the title to Possible storm in the Caribbean late next week--HURRICANE IAN THREAD*********
4 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Breathe.

I would also rethink being on a ship vs being on dry land - land is preferable to being on the water. Also consider where you would be parking your car to go on a ship. The last place I would want my car is on a ground level parking lot next to the water.

If you want to evacuate, think about going north and inland in Florida. Gainesville may be a good choice, but book your motel early . The storm refugees will being filling the rooms.

16 hours ago, jxtgreek said:

What happens if the Port of Tampa closes on Wednesday due to the storm?  What happens to those currently on the ship and those about to get on?  I wish Carnival would do some communication.

What do you want to have communicated?

Carnival, like all of us who live in Florida, are waiting to see where the storm will track before making decisions.

When there is more definite information on the storm track, decisions will be made and you will be notified.

Keep in mind then even then a storm can zig when all expect the storm to zag.

I see you live in Tampa.  You have more too worry about than getting on a cruise ship....

Edited by Homosassa
  • Thanks 1

Every year, people complain that the cruise lines are not communicating when it comes to their ships during a hurricane.  They are not going to make any decisions until they have to and have more definite information from the weather service.  Don't book cruises during hurricane season if you don't want to be disappointed when your cruise is altered.  You take your chances from September thru October so to complain about the cruise lines' lack of communication is, well,  like 'here we go again'.  Year after year.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2022 at 7:05 PM, Juncti said:

We're definitely in a situation with our cruise. Glory leaving Sunday from New Orleans. Supposed to be in Key West on Tuesday, followed by Freeport and Nassau. High likelihood of this being there on those days, or at least 2 of the 3 days. Sucks because we booked this cruise specifically to do the Eastern loop. I'd imagine chances are high of missing one if not all 3 ports, especially if it hooks earlier than anticipated. Could be starting to impact Key West Tuesday and Bahamas.

Our other issue is, if this thing hooks wide and hits New Orleans we're really screwed. First that's where we need to get off, but also we wouldn't be home to secure the house or our dogs. One thing for dog sitter to come by and give food and water, whole different thing to expect them to evacuate them.

Really sucks because we still haven't moved home from Hurricane Ida last year. We're rebuilding our house still, and now there's a decent threat on the horizon. 

Next few days are going to be stressful waiting for updates and more info. Hopefully it'll fall apart and do minimal damage to anyone

My sister was a dog sitter the last week of august 2005 (Katrina). She evacuated to my house with 8 animals and it took 11 hours to go what should have been a few hours. That was fun.

On 9/23/2022 at 6:12 PM, jeffr6596 said:

Leaving on the Ecstacy Monday 26 out of Mobile returning Oct 1..  I assume if the storm stays on course we would have very little impact other than some rocking in the crib nights.  Am I “on track”?

If our "Cool" weather continues, it should keep the storm east of us and hopefully out of our path. Weather prediction for us here in coastal MS is for a high of 74(!!) on Wednesday.

• Thanks 1