Live from the Seabourn Quest, Montreal-Montreal, 9/22/22-10/4/22

Catlover54

We also chose the cruise we booked based on itinerary after looking at several. SB reputation and very positive remarks from TA firmed it all up for us. It is up to SB to correct the issues sooner than later.  We do not have the history that you have, and obviously a very satisfied history.  Hopefully they figure these issues out. 

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

A Crystal cruiser is reporting on this cruise on the Crystal board, and seems to be having a good time.

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting to read a totally different perspective on the exact same cruise. And from a seasoned Crystal cruiser on their first ever Seabourn cruise at that… 

• Like 3

In case it sounds as if I am doubting Catlover's report (which must have taken longer to type than the awful dinner) , not so.  There is no doubt that this ship is suffering from a real lack of trained staff - and maybe there are many off with Covid - and things are not what they should be. Also, it can be hit and miss as to whether you are lucky in getting good serving staff at any meal, and even good food, which can happen at any time; I have had the odd badly cooked dish and less than stellar service, though never like this.

I don't like to suggest that the ex-Crystal cruisers have been pointed out to the shipboard management, and looked after differently - but that did just cross my mind.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, conchyjoe said:

Had dinner tonight in the Colonnade - Canadian Market Menu.

Frankly it was appalling. If just based on the food quality tonight, I would cancel all my future bookings. Cold and waaay too much salt in all the dishes.

Unfortunately this voyage has been so badly affected by so many factors. Some new poorly trained and inexperienced crew, a Covid outbreak among the chefs, lack of communication from ships staff and a Hurricane that just compounded all the inherent  problems.

That said, there have been some of the crew that have shone as always. Not their fault that the other factors probably diminished their substantial efforts to make everything Seabourn perfect.

This pretty much sums up our experience on Quest in August from Dover to Montreal.  It’s seems that they still haven’t righted this ship.  I feel so very sorry for the veteran crew onboard who are proud of Seabourn but must be mortified about the continuing passenger disappointments.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

In case it sounds as if I am doubting Catlover's report (which must have taken longer to type than the awful dinner) , not so.  There is no doubt that this ship is suffering from a real lack of trained staff - and maybe there are many off with Covid - and things are not what they should be. Also, it can be hit and miss as to whether you are lucky in getting good serving staff at any meal, and even good food, which can happen at any time; I have had the odd badly cooked dish and less than stellar service, though never like this.

I don't like to suggest that the ex-Crystal cruisers have been pointed out to the shipboard management, and looked after differently - but that did just cross my mind.

Sorry but “hit or miss” is acceptable now?

No, it is not, but I would be surprised if anyone on a luxury cruise had never had a very occasional glitch in service, or a dish which did not match up to expectations.  If you have not experienced this, then you have been lucky.  Obviously this cruise is very different to the norm, with apparently a lot more misses than hits, and I would be very fed up like many others on board seem to be.  I have a feeling there is going to be some compensation offered, hoping to persuade people to come back to Seabourn.

I do think Seabourn may have been worried about Crystal cruisers trying SB out, after a scathing set of reviews by a couple who paid a lot to occupy possibly the best suite on board, where they spent almost all their time, having meals and drinks served for them and their friends - all Crystal enthusiasts, and apparently very popular with other Crystal fans, judging by the often fawning comments on the Crystal board at the time.  This was sometime earlier this year, and I personally found their comments often pretty silly - but I am from a slightly older generation, and a Brit., not an American.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

don't like to suggest that the ex-Crystal cruisers have been pointed out to the shipboard management, and looked after differently - but that did just cross my mind.

Why am I not surprised about your statement!  this ex crystal cruiser will be back on seabourn later this month for a second SB cruise in 2 months.  We'll be on the quest and hope the service improves.  FWIW, I personally know the ex-crystal cruiser you’re referring to and value his opinion, the good and the bad. ALSO, CATLOVER has sailed on crystal in the past, most recently just over a year ago on the former crystal Endeavor…hum..2 very different experiences from former crystal sailors.

so looking forward to our next cruise and we anticipate a wonderful onboard experience 

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

But there is more than that -- observing, there are so many inefficiencies and redundancies, while key factors for good service are ignored.  I see what other lines are doing to be efficient but not diminish service, and it is impressive (and likely there is even more behind the scenes). SB (basically Carnival) will have to be able to compete with all the guys doing it better in many ways (though no luxury line is perfect) . I am not an expert on hotel or cruise ship management, of course, and what works well for my needs may not work for others who like SB a lot even for the high price product ratio.

Never a mention of the Seabourn hiring practice of going offshore for their customer facing service personnel.   By offshore, I mean recruiting from countries very different than what was previously South African and European.  This began just prior to the shutdown and is now in full force.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

No, it is not, but I would be surprised if anyone on a luxury cruise had never had a very occasional glitch in service, or a dish which did not match up to expectations.  If you have not experienced this, then you have been lucky.  Obviously this cruise is very different to the norm, with apparently a lot more misses than hits, and I would be very fed up like many others on board seem to be.  I have a feeling there is going to be some compensation offered, hoping to persuade people to come back to Seabourn.

I do think Seabourn may have been worried about Crystal cruisers trying SB out, after a scathing set of reviews by a couple who paid a lot to occupy possibly the best suite on board, where they spent almost all their time, having meals and drinks served for them and their friends - all Crystal enthusiasts, and apparently very popular with other Crystal fans, judging by the often fawning comments on the Crystal board at the time.  This was sometime earlier this year, and I personally found their comments often pretty silly - but I am from a slightly older generation, and a Brit., not an American.

You may have missed it in the flurry,  but I already posted ( #221) about the 20% FCC with SB being offered to everyone who paid money for this  cruise.

It can be used on any SB ship within 1 year ( does not have to be the Quest). 

Edited by Catlover54
Error
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, lincslady said:

No, my report of the "Japanese} dinner definitely did not take longer than the 1.45 or so hour dinner.  I have a handy " dictate" function on my mobile device, and for editing I type over 90 wpm ( I have arthritis in various parts of me, but so far not yet in my key typing fingers :)).

• Like 2

DISEMBARKATION was very smooth, by group, and quick.  Rooms had to be vacated at 8, which is usual. That way the stewardesses can quickly prepare rooms sooner for those guests coming on! 

Both Colonnade and Restaurant offered dinner, but we just ate in-room leftovers ( by choice), supplemented by two of the standard  mini-pastries from the Observation Bar.

Luggage was easy to locate ( by color), and there was friendly  porter help to get us to a cab.

A handful of officers bid departing pax goodbye.

• Like 1

Boarding the Quest in a couple of hours Looking forward to our cruise with my parents. Hope service issues will improve. Thanks to everyone reporting on the Quest over the last few weeks. Not sure I am the right person to continue the trend, but hopefully someone on this trip will. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

The poster was comped to Seabourn Diamond level, as were all Crystal guests that submitted information on their Crystal status.  Also, poster openly admits to being a travel agent and is on deck 9 which is PH deck.  All Seabourn passengers are equal but perhaps some are more equal then others.  I am glad that that poster had a great time.

I have also been on cruises that when speaking with others I cannot believe we were on the same cruise.  Perceptions are reality.  One poster perceived a satisfactory cruise the other did not.  When I see more posters perceiving unsatisfactory experiences that is a problem for Seabourn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Viking1966 said:

Boarding the Quest in a couple of hours Looking forward to our cruise with my parents. Hope service issues will improve. Thanks to everyone reporting on the Quest over the last few weeks. Not sure I am the right person to continue the trend, but hopefully someone on this trip will. 

Please do post if you can.  It is of value to people who are either booked on or thinking of booking the Quest.  Enjoy your cruise.

33 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Unbelievable 😁

Love it!

for my upcoming quest cruise, I will not post/review/critique  much here (nothing new for me as a frequent CC LUX poster since 2004) and share parts of my cruise with a limited, welcoming and friendly audience! 😄😄.  However, I sure hope the service issues continue to improve on the Quest and hope for decent weather…we never sweat the small things and if there are persistent issues that we deem a priority, they will be addressed with the appropriate onboard staff.  Our recent ovation cruise was delightful and there were a few minor glitches that are not unique to seabourn at the present time.

happy sails,

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, cruisr said:

The poster was comped to Seabourn Diamond level, as were all Crystal guests that submitted information on their Crystal status.  Also, poster openly admits to being a travel agent and is on deck 9 which is PH deck.  All Seabourn passengers are equal but perhaps some are more equal then others.  I am glad that that poster had a great time.

For clarification sake…NOT ALL previous crystal guests were or will be awarded diamond status…it was/is based on the number of crystal sailing.  We are thrilled to be awarded, not comped, Diamond status…our number of past crystal cruises equate to close to 300 days.  Crystal is NO MORE and Seabourn has exceeeded our high expectations.  FWIW, we booked our first seabourn cruise months prior to the crystal status match…turned out to be a great benefit.  We did not stay in a PH and the service throughout the ship was outstanding.  We treat people the way we want to be treated and you can’t put a dollar sign on that.  In addition, while the poster is a travel agent, I doubt he sailed at a discounted rate.  He sailed extensively on crystal over the years and many other lux lines.  I’m glad he had a great time like I did.  I have met the posted on a previous crystal sailing and we’ve been acquainted for many years.

correct, about different perceptions from guests on the same cruise….I’ve encountered this on every cruise I’ve sailed.

happy sails,

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, nancygp said:

For clarification sake…NOT ALL previous crystal guests were or will be awarded diamond status…it was/is based on the number of crystal sailing.  We are thrilled to be awarded, not comped, Diamond status…our number of past crystal cruises equate to close to 300 days.  Crystal is NO MORE and Seabourn has exceeeded our high expectations.  FWIW, we booked our first seabourn cruise months prior to the crystal status match…turned out to be a great benefit.  We did not stay in a PH and the service throughout the ship was outstanding.  We treat people the way we want to be treated and you can’t put a dollar sign on that.  In addition, while the poster is a travel agent, I doubt he sailed at a discounted rate.  He sailed extensively on crystal over the years and many other lux lines.  I’m glad he had a great time like I did.  I have met the posted on a previous crystal sailing and we’ve been acquainted for many years.

correct, about different perceptions from guests on the same cruise….I’ve encountered this on every cruise I’ve sailed.

happy sails,

Nancy

Sorry, my wording was awkward.  Yes, days sailed on Crystal would equate to the same amount of days as if sailed on Seabourn.  So Crystal cruisers would get Silver, Gold, Platinum or Diamond.  I have to respectfully disagree with you as not earning a status on a cruise line and receiving a status match without earning it through sailings is having that status comped or perhaps a less offensive word is “gifted”.

Personally, I miss Crystal and am looking forward to it coming back.  Glad you enjoyed your past Seabourn cruise.  Was it on the Quest or another ship?

Always enjoy your posts.

35 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Please do post if you can.  It is of value to people who are either booked on or thinking of booking the Quest.  Enjoy your cruise.

Totally agree with this!  We surely do not want to cancel ours first SB cruise. I agree that people can be on the same cruise and experience it differently - we have witnessed this multiple times. We also are not high maintenance travelers, and the little stuff is just life happening no matter where one walks, but these posts on Quest over the past couple months do seem to have more dissatisfaction among more passengers than I have to believe that SB would want. I think it’s important to hear different perspectives, and I sincerely hope that the tide of satisfaction on the Quest swings the other way. The only way for us all to know this is for people to continue sharing their experiences. I am grateful for the time it takes to do so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now utterly confused.  I have no idea who the particular poster who was 'comped' as you put it to a superior suite, nor that any on here were travel agents.  It does muddy the waters of who is posting favourable reviews if there is an incentive there.  And dare I say rather underhand not to admit an interest? .  We have all read some so glowing that we can easily guess that the passenger was travelling on a freebie, if not actually being paid.  Just the way the world works, I guess.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Sorry, my wording was awkward.  Yes, days sailed on Crystal would equate to the same amount of days as if sailed on Seabourn.  So Crystal cruisers would get Silver, Gold, Platinum or Diamond.  I have to respectfully disagree with you as not earning a status on a cruise line and receiving a status match without earning it through sailings is having that status comped or perhaps a less offensive word is “gifted”.

Personally, I miss Crystal and am looking forward to it coming back.  Glad you enjoyed your past Seabourn cruise.  Was it on the Quest or another ship?

Always enjoy your posts.

No worries…seabourn made the marketing decision to Award The status match…not every former crystal cruiser is aware of this nor has applied…we will just agree to disagree on your semantics.  I’m sorry that my husband lost a significant milestone on a crystal cruise that didn’t happen this past august…that is something that is not awarded in the status match and should not be.

I too miss crystal very much but I have a very wait and see attitude and will not leave my calendar open for the restart…cautiously optimistic based on the details provided in the months to come.

we sailed the ovation in august and will be on the quest soon.

glad you enjoy my posts.

nancy

After all of this, I do hope that Crystal will rise again,  pretty well in the form that the Crystal fans  have loved in the past.  All these special lines have their different quirks, and appeal to different people.  

I have loved Seabourn for the interesting and friendly staff, and a generally fairly laid back atmosphere - no photographers onboard,  a reasonably casual  attitude to dress codes (though not too much), and no feeling of regimentation.  In  particular, meeting staff from many different countries, who have some personality and are not averse to a conversation where we all behave as equals.  Others will prefer a bit more formality, and like to cruise these lines.  Chacun a son gout.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 3:33 PM, conchyjoe said:

Deck 8 seemingly now not immune. Another stool arrived outside a Suite this morning.

so that’s a total of around 10 pax and about 22 crew out of action due to Covid)

Very pleasant but cool afternoon sailing down the St. Lawrence admiring the Fall colors.

We should pass Quebec City just before sunset which will allow some great photos of the city.

Then it should be a smooth sail up the river overnight to arrive in Montreal at 0900.

A one day respite before they chuck us all off at 0900 on Tuesday.

It’s generally been a very enjoyable cruise on Quest although this one has been much shorter than we would normally do. Just wanted to get our feet wet after an almost 3 year absence.

We will be back next year on the same ship for a longer Adriatic trip.

What is the date of your Adriatic trip?  We are on the Venice to Venice, May 27-June17…. will we see you????

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

Now utterly confused.  I have no idea who the particular poster who was 'comped' as you put it to a superior suite, nor that any on here were travel agents.  It does muddy the waters of who is posting favourable reviews if there is an incentive there.  And dare I say rather underhand not to admit an interest? .  We have all read some so glowing that we can easily guess that the passenger was travelling on a freebie, if not actually being paid.  Just the way the world works, I guess.

Okay, to set the record straight, we paid full price for our cruise, and yes we were in a PH as we have booked this level of accommodation, and have always paid full price, for years. Not sure why this should matter to anyone, as, much like Crystal, once you leave your room everyone is treated equally, and as far as I remember, the only time I mentioned it, even onboard, was as a point of reference on my one post about COVID.

Yes, I am a TA, mostly retired, and I am open about it because people like to talk about cruises and cruise ships. After 18 years in the industry, I am fairly well-versed, and I often get asked. As a matter of preference, I don't even carry business cards when we travel and politely, but firmly, decline when asked, and it does happen, to take on someone's business.  Like nancygp, we heard about the status match offer AFTER we had made the final payment for this cruise, applied, and were given Diamond status based on our 40+ cruises totalling close the 450 days. Frankly all it got us was a discount on the two bottles of wine we bought. Oh, and a load of laundry! As far as "special service" for ex-Crystal guests, I can say with certainty every member of the staff I talked did not know the match programme even existed. I lost track of the number of double-takes we got when, after being welcomed back, we admitted this was our first Seabourn cruise!

Edited by Roland4
  • Like 4