Tropical Storm Ian to Become Hurricane with Florida in Its Path

alaska2023

On 9/24/2022 at 9:03 AM, smokeybandit said:

My wife and I sometimes ponder a move to Florida after retirement to make cruising easier. But man I'd be way overstressed in hurricane season.

I lived on the MS Gulf Coast until 2005, when Hurricane Katrina scrubbed the earth for up to a mile inland.  We were already in the process of moving to TN, and I was grateful to leave the aftermath of that super hurricane behind.  I survived going thru Hurricane Camille as a small girl, and storms in the gulf always seriously stressed me after that.  17 years after moving to TN, I don't think I would want to move back, despite my wish to be closer for cruising and going to the beach. 

As others have stated, a few miles inland is typically the worst areas.  Other than that, you are looking at roof damage, tree damage, no power, etc.  Flooding further inland usually only happens when a storm squats over the area for a long time.

Thoughts and prayers for all in the path of Ian. 

Edited by barbeyg
  • Thanks 1

LOL....everyone mentions how "lucky" we Florida residents are to live so close to cruise ports....until a hurricane is breathing down our necks.  😄  

Hurricane party anyone?  😉  

Though I am worried about our friends in the Tampa/St. Pete/Ft. Myers area.  Hoping Ian tames out in time to save them and property.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

It is a WINO western. The closest they get to the Caribbean is the one day that they are in Jamaica. The rest of the cruise is in the Atlantic Ocean.

That’s right. The most Westerly port is Port Canaveral.

mac_tlc

22 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

If you have seats on a flight leaving Friday, I'd think you should be fine.  Most airlines are pulling flights down Tuesday night from the western Florida airports, so they will have extra planes hanging around the larger hubs like BWI, PHL, EWR, etc.

OK, I'm going to backtrack on this a bit.  Driving is still a dangerous proposition, but flying on Friday may also be in question with the storm now turning earlier than expected. 

RSW/TPA/SRQ/PIE are all closing today and may not re-open until Thursday night depending on damage.

MCO operations will stop at 10:30 EDT on Wednesday.

Carnival Paradise is apparently staying overnight in Cozumel, and might not be able to return to Tampa on Thursday, putting the Friday departure also in question.

17 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Just curious what the parking is like at the port of Tampa.  Wondering if those who return will have damaged cars like Galveston has had in the past.  

The RCI terminal ("revamped" old cargo terminal) is down a block or two from the multilevel garage.  The port parking for that RCI terminal is a large open lot.  There are other off shoot private parking facilities near there...but I don't recommend them from previous experience.  

If you are able to transfer down the block or two....I would try for the garage.  

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

That’s right. The most Westerly port is Port Canaveral.

mac_tlc

It is a great itinerary however. We really enjoyed it back in the spring, and are doing another WINO on Harmony as the second leg of a B2B in October.

4 minutes ago, orville99 said:

It is a great itinerary however. We really enjoyed it back in the spring, and are doing another WINO on Harmony as the second leg of a B2B in October.

It was tough and emotional to say goodbye to our favorite crew members on Harmony last week.  Sigh...will miss them all.   Tried to convince them to jump ship and move to Wonder.  😉 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Only one ship is sailing out of Tampa right now, a Carnival ship.

She's due back in Thursday, though I'd be shocked if those folks don't get a bonus day at sea.

I'm pretty sure that I heard that's already a done deal. (extra day/s)

I'm supposed to be flying from DFW to MIA on Friday morning, landing in MIA around 2pm, cruising on Allure on Saturday *fingers crossed*

I won't drive it, so only way to get there is to fly. It is what it is....it is a nail biter for all involved...but trying to keep things in perspective, feel so bad for the people getting a direct hit. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 8:39 AM, cruisin from florida said:

Yes. We're right in the middle of that. I cancelled today's cruise and have been helping board up my son's house. Our boards are going up later today or tomorrow morning.

Prayers coming your way.  🙏🙏🙏

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

OK...now the "cone" is forecast to drift right over our house.   OK...recheck supplies.....Yeah, I am good.  Plenty of wine...and a few cans of Spam.  😄 

Originally from Hawaii?  We ALWAYS have Spam in our house.  😁

• Like 1

Just now, iuki said:

Originally from Hawaii?  We ALWAYS have Spam in our house.  😁

Looking forward to our six weeks on Maui this coming May.  Mmmm....Spam.    😃

Actually looking forward to Mama's Fish House more than Spam...but Spam comes in second.  😄 

2 hours ago, island lady said:

It was tough and emotional to say goodbye to our favorite crew members on Harmony last week.  Sigh...will miss them all.   Tried to convince them to jump ship and move to Wonder.  😉 

Yeah, us as well. These two will be our last on Harmony for a while. Moving over to Wonder in January...

• Like 1

Just now, orville99 said:

Yeah, us as well. These two will be our last on Harmony for a while. Moving over to Wonder in January...

Gotcha.   Moving over to Wonder next month.  Four weeks...already know we will love her.  😉 

Then repeat for a B2B next year.   

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

Looking forward to our six weeks on Maui this coming May.  Mmmm....Spam.    😃

Actually looking forward to Mama's Fish House more than Spam...but Spam comes in second.  😄 

Enjoy!  Love Spam Musubi!

• Like 1