Tropical Storm Ian to Become Hurricane with Florida in Its Path

alaska2023

25 minutes ago, island lady said:

OK...now the "cone" is forecast to drift right over our house.

It's coming straight over mine first. I'd toss a bunch of bananas into the air and see if they make it to you but doesn't sound like frozen drinks are part of of your survival kit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

It's coming straight over mine first. I'd toss a bunch of bananas into the air and see if they make it to you but doesn't sound like frozen drinks are part of of your survival kit.

Ummm...nope... but wouldn't mind one of those Banana Daquiris.   😄   Though I did fill up a bag of ice for our freezer, plus multiple bottles of water to freeze in there.  Maybe help keep things cool if we lose power....plus extra ice to chill down the drinks...and my SB.  😉 

For those with flights to Florida on Friday (I am in this category by the way), while the main cruise airports (MCO/FLL/MIA) will not be directly impacted at this point, the Florida/Georgia line will have the hurricane there.  This is a very busy flight corridor with flights merging to go to Florida & the Caribbean.  My concern is some air route closures during this time, which could in turn cause significant delays or cancellations.  I am attempting to move my flight up now, but seats are very scarce.  I have a one way rental car booked for tomorrow night if needed.  For those looking at one way rental cars, good news is that they are cheap now, as the car rental companies want to get them to Florida for the busy Winter season. $120 for two days with tax from Maryland to Florida.

22 minutes ago, CFIGuy said:

For those with flights to Florida on Friday (I am in this category by the way), while the main cruise airports (MCO/FLL/MIA) will not be directly impacted at this point, the Florida/Georgia line will have the hurricane there.  This is a very busy flight corridor with flights merging to go to Florida & the Caribbean.  My concern is some air route closures during this time, which could in turn cause significant delays or cancellations.  I am attempting to move my flight up now, but seats are very scarce.  I have a one way rental car booked for tomorrow night if needed.  For those looking at one way rental cars, good news is that they are cheap now, as the car rental companies want to get them to Florida for the busy Winter season. $120 for two days with tax from Maryland to Florida.

MCO is closing at 10:00am tomorrow.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orange-county/flight-disruptions-expected-orlando-international-airport-due-hurricane-ian/YTME4ZXXJNDZNONZS3ZUGY7H7U/

11 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Thanks. Probably mentioned it in this thread, but not overly concerned as we've been in this same house since we had it built in 2003. Not expecting damage. Only issue we have is an ongoing water intrusion issue along one wall due to poor construction that no one has ever been able to fully solve. We know how to handle it but it's a huge pain in the ass and stress we shouldn't have to deal with.

Once it gets bad, my main concern becomes hoping the power stays on so I can watch TV and run my dryer as I'm soaking up water with towels, lol. Last one that unexpectedly went straight up the center of the state right over us (I can't remember names, maybe 5 years ago or so?) never took out our power which was fortunate as I was literally awake all night replacing towels and running the dryer non-stop.

It was Irma. Too bad about the water intrusion issues in your home.

11 hours ago, orville99 said:

That's what they all said about Charlie (Cat 3), Francis and Jean (both cat 2) right before all three crossed over our house just south of Orlando in 2004. BTW, Faye never became a hurricane in 2008, but crisscrossed the state several times and dumped several feet of rain before it finally left. 

Charlie was still Cat 3 when it arrived in central Florida? That is surprising as these storms usually peter out to tropical storms by the time they get inland.

2 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I'm supposed to be flying from DFW to MIA on Friday morning, landing in MIA around 2pm, cruising on Allure on Saturday *fingers crossed*

I won't drive it, so only way to get there is to fly. It is what it is....it is a nail biter for all involved...but trying to keep things in perspective, feel so bad for the people getting a direct hit. 

Weather down here in south Fl looks good Friday/Sat.

• Thanks 1

Marc Walker, cruise director on Mariner out of Canaveral, just posted:

Update.
Port Canaveral is closing the port until Friday afternoon earliest. We will stay at sea until then. Bring on the chicken ding! All those sailing next cruise pls refer to Royal Caribbean as I can’t give any answers regarding that. Thank you, and for those in Ian’s path, stay safe. I’ll be in constant touch with Lily and Lilah throughout. For those here onboard now- I’ve been planning this for a few days ( just in case), so we will give you a wonderful time with my talented team and our fabulous crew!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Charlie was still Cat 3 when it arrived in central Florida? That is surprising as these storms usually peter out to tropical storms by the time they get inland.

I live in the Birmingham, AL metro area which is over 250 miles from the gulf coast.  We've had a few category 1 hurricanes make it this far north.  I have a daughter who live about 50 miles south of me and they had a category 2.  Of course this is based on wind speed, so there's no risk for storm surge like at the shore.  But sustained winds 75mph and over are quite destructive.  

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

I live in the Birmingham, AL metro area which is over 250 miles from the gulf coast.  We've had a few category 1 hurricanes make it this far north.  I have a daughter who live about 50 miles south of me and they had a category 2.  Of course this is based on wind speed, so there's no risk for storm surge like at the shore.  But sustained winds 75mph and over are quite destructive.  

Slightly different weather but I was in Alabama almost 3 Decades ago when the Storm of the Century hit(Snow Storm/Blizzard)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, island lady said:

Ummm...nope... but wouldn't mind one of those Banana Daquiris.   😄   Though I did fill up a bag of ice for our freezer, plus multiple bottles of water to freeze in there.  Maybe help keep things cool if we lose power....plus extra ice to chill down the drinks...and my SB.  😉 

I bought that condo in cape Canaveral last year and watching. Sounds like by friday they will get winds. The weather station isnt as good as local coverage from here. 

Hope everyone gets thru without damage. 

• Like 1

I just saw Reed Timmer trying to do a live feed from Pine Island, and it was not going well. There were some people commenting that it is not far from a cat 5, and was hitting Punta Gorda hard. Of course that is just regular people commenting on what they are seeing, and not Weather Channel reporters. My aunt and uncle live there, and they left Monday to stay with family in MS.

12 hours ago, coffeebean said:
On 9/26/2022 at 9:44 AM, OCSC Mike said:

My wife's parents live there on one of the golf courses across from a lake/pond. My FIL complains when they don't "hit the button" and drain it to his liking, lol.

Has his home ever flooded? I would bet not.

Of course not, he just likes the level to be at a certain height for aesthetic purposes I guess, that's why I lol'd.

Edited by OCSC Mike

12 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Sustained winds were 105 when the eye went over our house so technically it was 5 MPH short of a Cat 3, and were still at 90 when it crossed Daytona Beach -5MPH short of a Cat 2.

We're having very strong winds and heavy rain here on the beach in northeast Miami-Dade County. The gusts come and go as the Ian's outer bands travel north and get closer to landfall soon in the Sarasota / Ft Myers area. Certainly not boating, beach nor flying weather here now. A lot of business and recreational closures here. We're under tornado warnings and storm surge warnings. Think I'll stay home today....

Hoping this passes soon -- especially concerned for our fellow Floridians on the west coast and central areas.  🙏

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I bought that condo in cape Canaveral last year and watching. Sounds like by friday they will get winds. The weather station isnt as good as local coverage from here. 

Hope everyone gets thru without damage. 

We are supposed to get the worst of it by night and through tomorrow (Thursday).  Already under Hurricane warning, and just now ....evacuation notices for low lying areas and mobile homes.  

Down here in Fort Lauderdale it's really not bad at all. More wind than usual but nothing bad. The sun is poking through. Just rains off and on today. Southeast Florida looks to be in great shape by tomorrow. Portmiami should be opened back up and cruising normal. Hopefully folks flying in to cruise this weekend can get here! 

Edited by RDeG
  • Thanks 1