Tropical Storm Ian to Become Hurricane with Florida in Its Path

alaska2023

According to our local weather folks this evening in south east Florida Ian has shifted slightly to the east . We are not in the cone at all but as the storm travels up to the west it puts us and other parts of Florida in or close to the  NE quadrant which is always gusty winds , lots of rain  and just lousy weather. September is wettest month here. 

On 9/24/2022 at 9:03 AM, smokeybandit said:

My wife and I sometimes ponder a move to Florida after retirement to make cruising easier. But man I'd be way overstressed in hurricane season.

No stress in Central Florida. The storms are usually low cat hurricanes or tropical storms or depressions by the time they reach us here.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2022 at 9:03 AM, smokeybandit said:

My wife and I sometimes ponder a move to Florida after retirement to make cruising easier. But man I'd be way overstressed in hurricane season.

It certainly stresses people out who not fully prepared. Especially folks who have never been thru a nasty one. 

On 9/24/2022 at 9:15 AM, OCSC Mike said:

'

If you're open to not being on a beach (which is obviously a draw to many), hurricanes really don't affect interior central Florida that much. You might lose some shingles or have superficial wind damage like gutters, trees can go down (we only have palms which won't go anywhere even in a hurricane), could lose power but usually not for that long (and that's what generators are for if you're so inclined), but the chances of any severe damage like losing a roof are extremely low.

If we didn't have the water issue I mentioned above, I wouldn't be very concerned at all right now... and this is coming from someone with anxiety issues.

Not trying to convince you, just making conversation. Florida is ummm... an interesting place, lol (I grew up in the Philly burbs and moved here after college in 2000).

On 9/24/2022 at 11:22 AM, SilkySal said:

We're in Eustis (central, not far from The Villages) and plan to board Mariner on October 3rd (Monday). A couple of summers ago, a nasty hurricane (can't remember name) knocked out our power for several days. A few homes were damaged by winds and lots of debris and limbs laying around. Our main concern is with the rocket launch on October 3rd, so we will head over to the Radisson next Sunday to avoid traffic jams.

Hope everyone stays safe!

I live in The Villages and we have a water management system here that keeps all the flood waters away from the homes. They "move" water all around the retention ponds to avoid homes and flood the golf courses with all the excess water. Amazing stuff.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 2

In the spring, we decided to finally upgrade our hurricane wood to accordion shutters. Signed the contract in April and were told 16-20 weeks for installation.  They are supposed to be installed on the 3rd. 😢 But, we’re on the east coast.  And we are supposed to be leaving on a cruise next Saturday.  😭😭  Won’t be able to if the storm hits Tampa badly as my parents live there. We’ll need to help them out if it’s bad over there. 

58 minutes ago, RJ257 said:

It certainly stresses people out who not fully prepared. Especially folks who have never been thru a nasty one. 

Sandy passed about 90 miles north of where I lived at the time, but the cold front coming in mitigated any real bad effects. My worst experience was Tropical Storm Lee which dumped 7" of rain and flooded a window well into my basement.

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Sandy passed about 90 miles north of where I lived at the time, but the cold front coming in mitigated any real bad effects. My worst experience was Tropical Storm Lee which dumped 7" of rain and flooded a window well into my basement.

Sandy was a bad storm up there. No basements here to flood. 7 inches is a quite a bit of rain. Imagine that was a mess. I’m in Palm Beach area. Before we had a whole house generator that automatically kicks in when power is out we lost electricity and water for about 10 days. Think that was about 20 years ago. On our 5 acres about 40 tall pine trees were down. All missed the house thankfully. We had a canal and pool water and a gas stove so we could cook. Needless to say we became much better prepared after that event. Luckily most all of the storms turn away from our coast or fizzle out or like Ian just cause crappy weather for a few days while heading up the gulf side. The current storm is going to run into wind shear in a few days as it nears land so maybe it won’t be too much for folks. 

9 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Does anyone know if Liberty headed into the gulf this afternoon? I'm sure they know what they're doing but even staying close to Mexico would have me a bit worried.  Not a ton of room for error between Cayman and Cozumel.

Since tomorrow is a sea day anyway, they can take a cautious approach to see where Ian actually goes. If it goes as forecast then Liberty could probably go with its original itinerary.

Edited by smokeybandit

13 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I live in The Villages and we have a water management system here that keeps all the flood waters away from the homes. They "move" water all around the retention ponds to avoid homes and flood the golf courses with all the excess water. Amazing stuff.

My wife's parents live there on one of the golf courses across from a lake/pond. My FIL complains when they don't "hit the button" and drain it to his liking, lol.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, fpcruiser said:

We are flying to Miami on Friday morning going through Baltimore. What are our chances that will happen? We will start driving Wednesday night if we have to.

Start driving, especially if you are on a flight that uses an aircraft that bounces between Florida and Baltimore.

1 hour ago, cruisin from florida said:

Yes. We're right in the middle of that. I cancelled today's cruise and have been helping board up my son's house. Our boards are going up later today or tomorrow morning.

Stay safe.

We're not concerned about damage here but our house unfortunately has ongoing water intrusion issues along one wall from poor construction that we haven't been able to solve no matter how many professionals have tried.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Start driving, especially if you are on a flight that uses an aircraft that bounces between Florida and Baltimore.

That's maybe not great advice.  Rains will be hitting north Florida as far as Jacksonville Thursday morning into Friday morning.  Unless you're driving it in one shot, you'll be driving thru the storm if it takes more of a turn to the east.

If you have seats on a flight leaving Friday, I'd think you should be fine.  Most airlines are pulling flights down Tuesday night from the western Florida airports, so they will have extra planes hanging around the larger hubs like BWI, PHL, EWR, etc.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, P.A. said:

Harmony of the Seas currently headed towards Bahamas. Anyone know if that is still happening? My daughter and family on this ship currently. (Sept 25-Oct 2). Thanks!

Going to the Eastern side is safe and the prudent thing to do.  They will have an awesome cruise!!

37 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Going to the Eastern side is safe and the prudent thing to do.  They will have an awesome cruise!!

Thanks. I sure hope they do. From the Bahamas they're headed to Jamaica and Haiti. Who knows where they'll end up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, P.A. said:

Harmony of the Seas currently headed towards Bahamas. Anyone know if that is still happening? My daughter and family on this ship currently. (Sept 25-Oct 2). Thanks!

I’m on Harmony right now. We’re sticking to our original western Caribbean itinerary. We were in CocoCay today (Monday), headed to Nassau Tuesday. Falmouth, Jamaica Thurs and Labadee, Friday. It was cloudy in CocoCay, with sun peeking through about half the day. Rain stayed away til we were pulling away from the island this evening.

28 minutes ago, alaska2023 said:

I’m on Harmony right now. We’re sticking to our original western Caribbean itinerary. We were in CocoCay today (Monday), headed to Nassau Tuesday. Falmouth, Jamaica Thurs and Labadee, Friday. It was cloudy in CocoCay, with sun peeking through about half the day. Rain stayed away til we were pulling away from the island this evening.

Thank you so much for posting. So glad your on track. Praying it stays that way. Feel free to post again for updates. LOL!!😃😅 Enjoy!😎

6 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

On Oasis.  Itinerary still stands, so far.

Port Canaveral tomorrow, Tuesday.

CocoCay Wednesday

Nassau Thursday

Back up to Cape Liberty for disembarkation on Sunday.

Yuck, likely tons of rain all 3 of those days.😬 Doing this cruise in 2 weeks as well so keeping an eye on the tropics!

Orlando mayor is saying they are going to take a hit from a Category 1 hurricane by the time Ian gets there and will hit directly like Charley unless it takes a turn elsewhere but the odds are showing a direct hit to the Orlando area.  Flights will more than likely be affected there.