Can I just leave MDR if I don't like the food?

Kitty Ellas Mom

This may sound like a really dumb question, but my first cruise will be on Princess and I've heard so many bad things about the main dining room.  If I get my food in the MDR and it's really terrible is it ok to just leave and go to one of the locations with burgers, pizza, or international cafe etc?  Is it required to explain to the server why I'm leaving or can I just leave?  I've read so much about servers being unavailable that I wonder if I'd be sitting there a very long time looking at food I don't want.  I will be solo so will have complete flexibility with my dining.  I don't want to be rude but I also wouldn't want to waste my time.  Thank you for any advice.  I will be on either Majestic or Caribbean Princess.

There is a wide variety on the menu, and you can order whatever you want.  If you don’t like it, you can ask for something else.  If your wait staff see you are not eating, they may ask if they can get you something else.  But yes, you can leave and go to the buffet.  I have only done this once, on another line.  But I waited until the meal was over.  EM

• Like 3

The food and the service would have to be pretty bad before I would leave the MDR without a word. First, in my experience, if I am served a dish that I don't like, the server usually notices quite quickly, and offers to bring me something else.  Or I can usually signal him or the assistant waiter and ask for something different. Leaving with no explanation leaves the wait staff in a quandary. They don't know what the problem is, so they can't try to fix it. They don't know if you just went to the bathroom, had a medical emergency, or will be coming back or not. That's just rude. If you don't like the food, tell your server why. If you don't like the service, discuss it with the Maitre d'. And then by all means head to the buffet or IC if you aren't satisfied

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

This may sound like a really dumb question, but my first cruise will be on Princess and I've heard so many bad things about the main dining room.  If I get my food in the MDR and it's really terrible is it ok to just leave and go to one of the locations with burgers, pizza, or international cafe etc?  Is it required to explain to the server why I'm leaving or can I just leave?  I've read so much about servers being unavailable that I wonder if I'd be sitting there a very long time looking at food I don't want.  I will be solo so will have complete flexibility with my dining.  I don't want to be rude but I also wouldn't want to waste my time.  Thank you for any advice.  I will be on either Majestic or Caribbean Princess.

It certainly is not required that you explain to your server why you are leaving.  However it would seem to be polite to do so so the server does not worry about you.

DON

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I can't believe that any MDR would be that bad. I wouldn't put too much weight in those reviews. 

• Like 6

I've often used the MDR to try out dishes that I ordinarily would not order in real life just to drive them a try. The MDR staff have gone out of their way to ensure that if what I ordered didn't come out as expected, they were quick to bring out a substitute. 

• Like 4

First, check the menu before dinner to determine if the selections appeal to you.

If what you are served does not please you, do not be shy telling your Steward that you don't care for it and order something else.  (The only time I have done this is on Royal Princess.  I was served the most disgusting Pork Belly (their celebrity chef's specialty that evening) that I ever tasted.  After two bites, I was done with that!  I told my Steward and requested their always good Fettuccine Alfredo.  Only that night, it was NOT.  Where's the cheese taste?  What's with the watery sauce?  I ate it and informed the Maitre d' of my dissatisfaction when I left the dining room.)

To just get up and leave the dining room without informing your servers what you are doing is impolite.  It leaves them (and if you have any tablemates) in the lurch.  After informing people, of course, you may go to any other dining venue on the ship.  (If there is an Alfredo's, I'd recommend that for an excellent pizza.)  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

First, check the menu before dinner to determine if the selections appeal to you.

If what you are served does not please you, do not be shy telling your Steward that you don't care for it and order something else.  (The only time I have done this is on Royal Princess.  I was served the most disgusting Pork Belly (their celebrity chef's specialty that evening) that I ever tasted.  After two bites, I was done with that!  I told my Steward and requested their always good Fettuccine Alfredo.  Only that night, it was NOT.  Where's the cheese taste?  What's with the watery sauce?  I ate it and informed the Maitre d' of my dissatisfaction when I left the dining room.)

To just get up and leave the dining room without informing your servers what you are doing is impolite.  It leaves them (and if you have any tablemates) in the lurch.  After informing people, of course, you may go to any other dining venue on the ship.  (If there is an Alfredo's, I'd recommend that for an excellent pizza.)  

I think you probably mean "servers", not "stewards".    🙂

Unless you are on NCL or Carnival, it is highly unlikely that the food will be “…really terrible…”, and even on those lines it will probably be OK.  Of course, you should look at the menu and select something that you think you will like.  If it is badly prepared, or served cold, you should certainly point it out to your server.  At the end of the day, you are of course not required to show deference to a dining room staff if they serve you swill.

• Like 1

Once on celebrity we went to a specialty reastaurant, my wife wanted to try and I assumed I could find something to eat, I am very plain eater of cheeseburgers, hot dogs and pizza. But to make my better half happy I went. I could not find I single thing on the menu that I was willing to try. So we let the wait staff know this and they couldn't be more helpful to get us into another specialty restaurant asap, apologizing all the way there even though I explained this wS my fault not theirs. Moral of the story try, if it doesn't suit you, be polite and make a change. The staff on these ships will go to great extents to help you and deserve some common courtesy that you would show anyone else.

• Thanks 1

Once on celebrity we went to a specialty reastaurant, my wife wanted to try and I assumed I could find something to eat, I am very plain eater of cheeseburgers, hot dogs and pizza. But to make my better half happy I went. I could not find I single thing on the menu that I was willing to try. So we let the wait staff know this and they couldn't be more helpful to get us into another specialty restaurant asap, apologizing all the way there even though I explained this wS my fault not theirs. Moral of the story try, if it doesn't suit you, be polite and make a change. The staff on these ships will go to great extents to help you and deserve some common courtesy that you would show anyone else.

21 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

I think you probably mean "servers", not "stewards".    🙂

No, I didn't.  There are Cabin Stewards and there are Dining Room Stewards.  The word "servers" mean the same to me as "stewards" or "waiters".  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

What is the proper title for the person that services one's stateroom?  

I believe that is also a steward. I believe that falls under the "attends passengers" part of the definition. You were very correct (hence the 👍).

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

You were very correct (hence the 👍).

Thank you.  I misinterpreted what you posted.  The terms "Cabin Steward" and "Dining Room Stewards" are used in ocean liner history as long ago as the 19th Century.  If I have been using the incorrect terms, there have been thousands and thousands of others before me doing the same as well as some eminent maritime historians.  

11 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thank you.  I misinterpreted what you posted.  The terms "Cabin Steward" and "Dining Room Stewards" are used in ocean liner history as long ago as the 19th Century.  If I have been using the incorrect terms, there have been thousands and thousands of others before me doing the same as well as some eminent maritime historians.  

Off topic (sorry) ... enjoy this year's Pumpkin Festival!  We lived in central Ohio for 14 years always intended to make it, but never did.  Maybe some year, as our adult kids still live there.  OOPS, sorry, that's Circleville! 🙂 

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your responses.  I would never intend to be impolite, which is why I asked the question.  I just imagined myself sitting, alone at my table since I'm solo, for an hour or more if the server never came back.  I realize that probably won't happen.  I still have yet to be on my first cruise b/c I was. booked summer 2020, 21, and 22, and almost got to go but then something happened in my family.  So now I am booked summer 23.  Definitely hoping to get out there and get some real cruise experience after reading about it (and wayyyyyy overthinking everything!) since I discovered cruising in 2019.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

Off topic (sorry) ... enjoy this year's Pumpkin Festival!  We lived in central Ohio for 14 years always intended to make it, but never did.  Maybe some year, as our adult kids still live there.  OOPS, sorry, that's Circleville! 🙂 

I grew up in Lancaster and only recall going to the Pumpkin Festival once.  It is usually held the week after the Fairfield County Fair, so, my family had had enough of that kind of an event, I think.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

Thank you all for your responses.  I would never intend to be impolite, which is why I asked the question.  I just imagined myself sitting, alone at my table since I'm solo, for an hour or more if the server never came back.  I realize that probably won't happen.  I still have yet to be on my first cruise b/c I was. booked summer 2020, 21, and 22, and almost got to go but then something happened in my family.  So now I am booked summer 23.  Definitely hoping to get out there and get some real cruise experience after reading about it (and wayyyyyy overthinking everything!) since I discovered cruising in 2019.

Keeps in mind that you do not have to eat in the MDR.  It’s supposed to be a fine dining experience, but that doesn’t suit some folks.  I remember reading a post a number of years ago from someone who didn’t discover that thee was an MDR until her second cruise!  EM

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Keeps in mind that you do not have to eat in the MDR.  It’s supposed to be a fine dining experience, but that doesn’t suit some folks.  I remember reading a post a number of years ago from someone who didn’t discover that thee was an MDR until her second cruise!  EM

I met a distraught fellow who thought they charged for the MDR. He was in front of the menu board at the entrance to the MDR whining to his wife that there were no prices.   I finally was able to calm him and his wife with my broken French and explained it was free.  This was the second week of a 6 week cruise.  

His TA should have done a better job educating.  There are some lousy TAs who take the commissions and run.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 1:34 AM, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

Thank you all for your responses.  I would never intend to be impolite, which is why I asked the question.  I just imagined myself sitting, alone at my table since I'm solo, for an hour or more if the server never came back. ..

Definitely hoping to get out there and get some real cruise experience after reading about it (and wayyyyyy overthinking everything!) since I discovered cruising in 2019.

Hoping you enjoy your first cruise - suggest that you consider either fixed dining which would give you table mates, or simply asking to be seated with others.  You will find that cruising can be a lot more enjoyable with the sort of interaction group dining provides.

• Like 4