Crew masks 😷

On 9/26/2022 at 9:30 AM, tinkertwo said:

ETA-this is not directed at you specifically.  It is directed at those who feel they need to mention my choices.

I'm glad you edited that in because I don't care if you wear a mask or not.  I do care about misinformation/untruths that some put out there.  AND, I can't state my reason or justify why I feel something is misinformation/untrue.  

Having said that, you did quote me and your first statement was, "See, this is what I often experience.  People say they don't care if I wear a mask or not yet need to comment on the fact I choose to wear a mask".  Yes, I commented that I don't care if you wear a mask or not.  

On 9/27/2022 at 3:43 AM, DirtyDawg said:

And if another Captain decides crew will continue to wear masks on his/her ship that's OK with me too.

The University I teach at continues to have a masking policy. It is one of a very few that continue to require everyone to wear masks inside the buildings.  Do I like the policy? It frankly doesn't matter because it's not my call. The only real issue I have is I don't wear my hearing aids in class because those loop masks and my behind-the-ear hearing aids don't work together very well. The loops and the hearing aid have to share the same section of my ear.  I almost lost one of then a couple of times last winter when I took my mask off after I went outside. And looking for a small hearing aid in the snow was not my favorite wintertime activity. Looking for Maple Syrup Taffy in the snow is definitely more fulfilling!  😋

Maple Syrup + Snow = Canadian Maple Taffy - YouTube

I can concur. I did a 4-night "Survivor" competition. I got up after an extremely physical competition in 100 degree heat, and had thrown them in my hat. Realized, in the extreme heat, that after the fact, that I had lost my hearing aids upon leaving the competition, Luckily, the production crew spent 1-1/2 hours looking for them. They did find them. Otherwise, I would've been completely out of the game.

On 9/27/2022 at 7:50 AM, brillohead said:

Dawg, have you tried using one of the "straps" behind your head to hold the mask loops, instead of hooking the loops on your ears?  Then you'd be able to hear during class.

They come in all different shapes and sizes.  

I said earlier that I wear a mask as my gift to mankind BUT I never will defile my hairless chrome dome with one of those straps! In all modesty, my dome is GQ++ quality. Maybe not the eighth wonder of the world but definitely in the top ten! 😉

So wearing one of those things would be like making Harry Styles or George Clooney wear a face covering all the time. 😁

And of course, not wearing my hearing aids in class saves me from hearing some of the clueless nonsense uttered by some of my 20 year oldish students on the very rare occasions that that happens.  😉 😉 

🥳  

• Haha 3

Two cruise lines in the Royal Caribbean Group have ended the mandatory mask-wearing policy for crew members, demonstrating one more step toward pre-pandemic operations and a welcome improvement to the comfort of crew members who have remained masked for two years.

Crew No Long Required to Wear Masks

Crew members aboard ships within Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises are no longer required to wear masks, according to a statement the cruise lines released on October 3, 2022, to their team members.

“We are happy to announce that from today masks are optional for crew. If you are willing to wear mask, it should be with the company’s logo. This is a huge step towards our return to normal life. The decision to wear a mask is up to every crew member,” the statement read.

This new policy applies to all areas onboard each ship, including both indoor and outdoor locations. Crew members may now choose not to wear masks both in crew-only spaces as well as public areas and guest spaces such as lounges, restaurants, staterooms, and corridors.

It should be noted that crew members are not required to remove their masks, but they may choose to do so if they wish. Crew members who prefer to continue wearing a mask are welcome to do so, just as the policy for both cruise lines permits passengers to choose whether or not to wear a mask.

Several weeks ago, Celebrity Cruises piloted a select program permitting crew members to forgo masks as the cruise line tested whether onboard protocols continued to be effective without mask-wearing.

That limited test was a success, as masks have now been made optional fleetwide for all crew members aboard Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises vessels.

Silversea Cruises Still Requires Masks

While both these cruise lines have now removed the mask mandate for crew members, it should be noted that the third cruise line owned and operated by Royal Caribbean Group still mandates that all crew members wear masks.

Silversea Cruises’ “Healthy Return to Sailing” webpage outlines the current mask policy, which includes “Staff and Crew aboard all our ships will continue to wear masks for the foreseeable future.”

While Silversea Cruises is part of the Royal Caribbean Group, each cruise line can have distinct policies and protocols to meet the unique needs of its guests, crew members, and port destinations.

Because Silversea is a luxury, small-ship line – the largest vessel in the line’s fleet, Silver Muse, only accommodates 596 guests – they choose to be more cautious with their protocols.

The more restrictive protocols are also likely a result of the cruise line’s more exotic itineraries, visiting ports of call that may be less equipped to handle potential disease outbreaks, and therefore require more stringent health and safety measures.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Ditches Mask Requirement for Crew (cruisehive.com)

• Like 3

On 9/27/2022 at 2:47 PM, molsonschooner said:

I wear hearing aids because of tinnitus, they help reduce the ringing greatly

Do you feel they help?  Not that they will in my case.  We are all different.

Is your audiologist a civilian Dr., or VA/Military.  I find that a civilian Dr will proscribe just about anything because they sell the product themselves or have a kickback from the manufactures, or both.  VA or Military have no monetary benefit beyond their paycheck. No, I'm not saying your audiologist is scamming you.  My comment is more of a generalized comment, or my personal experience.  

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Two cruise lines in the Royal Caribbean Group have ended the mandatory mask-wearing policy for crew members, demonstrating one more step toward pre-pandemic operations and a welcome improvement to the comfort of crew members who have remained masked for two years.

Crew No Long Required to Wear Masks

Crew members aboard ships within Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises are no longer required to wear masks, according to a statement the cruise lines released on October 3, 2022, to their team members.

“We are happy to announce that from today masks are optional for crew. If you are willing to wear mask, it should be with the company’s logo. This is a huge step towards our return to normal life. The decision to wear a mask is up to every crew member,” the statement read.

This new policy applies to all areas onboard each ship, including both indoor and outdoor locations. Crew members may now choose not to wear masks both in crew-only spaces as well as public areas and guest spaces such as lounges, restaurants, staterooms, and corridors.

It should be noted that crew members are not required to remove their masks, but they may choose to do so if they wish. Crew members who prefer to continue wearing a mask are welcome to do so, just as the policy for both cruise lines permits passengers to choose whether or not to wear a mask.

Several weeks ago, Celebrity Cruises piloted a select program permitting crew members to forgo masks as the cruise line tested whether onboard protocols continued to be effective without mask-wearing.

That limited test was a success, as masks have now been made optional fleetwide for all crew members aboard Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises vessels.

Silversea Cruises Still Requires Masks

While both these cruise lines have now removed the mask mandate for crew members, it should be noted that the third cruise line owned and operated by Royal Caribbean Group still mandates that all crew members wear masks.

Silversea Cruises’ “Healthy Return to Sailing” webpage outlines the current mask policy, which includes “Staff and Crew aboard all our ships will continue to wear masks for the foreseeable future.”

While Silversea Cruises is part of the Royal Caribbean Group, each cruise line can have distinct policies and protocols to meet the unique needs of its guests, crew members, and port destinations.

Because Silversea is a luxury, small-ship line – the largest vessel in the line’s fleet, Silver Muse, only accommodates 596 guests – they choose to be more cautious with their protocols.

The more restrictive protocols are also likely a result of the cruise line’s more exotic itineraries, visiting ports of call that may be less equipped to handle potential disease outbreaks, and therefore require more stringent health and safety measures.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Ditches Mask Requirement for Crew (cruisehive.com)

Better way way late than never.  Great news.

Edited by bucfan2

I'm on Explorer right now, and it's the first week that they've not had mandatory masks.  I'd say that 95% of the crew are mask-free right now.

They also started the Galley Tours last week.... maybe eventually I'll see the return of Tutti Salad in the MDR for sea day lunch!

• Like 3

I do heartily approve of RCL's decision permitting, but not requiring masks.  My latest cruise I did note with considerable approval that many of the crew were wearing the RCL logo masks over 3M N95 masks.  I also don't go in for the virtue signaling masks.  If I choose to (or am asked to) mask, I have a couple of the flat 3M Aura N95 masks in my cell phone pouch.  For me there is no middle ground -- mask free or N95.  After all, If I'm masked it's for my own safety.  Likewise for the crew -- If their comfort level is masked, more power to them.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gmerick said:

I do heartily approve of RCL's decision permitting, but not requiring masks.  My latest cruise I did note with considerable approval that many of the crew were wearing the RCL logo masks over 3M N95 masks.  I also don't go in for the virtue signaling masks.  If I choose to (or am asked to) mask, I have a couple of the flat 3M Aura N95 masks in my cell phone pouch.  For me there is no middle ground -- mask free or N95.  After all, If I'm masked it's for my own safety.  Likewise for the crew -- If their comfort level is masked, more power to them.  

If I am ever asked to wear a mask again I will just dig in the bottom of my purse and dig out my thin, just for show mask.  Haven't had to wear one for well over a year now but I just never remember to take it out.  LOL

• Like 1