Crew masks 😷

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

It had been every two weeks.

It was ever week on my winter and spring cruises.  I didn't ask on my cruise the other week.

I know the crew (optonal) had stopped wearing in their quarters months ago.

2 bartenders had said they rumor they heard no masks for crew by end of the year as long as all went well with no Fall outbreaks.

Whether or not the crew where masks or if some ships are requiring crew to wear mask is of no concern to me. I don't need to see the crews' smiling faces. All I need is the service they provide. And quite frankly some people look way better wearing a mask then when they go mask-less. 😷 😁

Regards,

DirtyDog, who continues to wear a mask as his gift to mankind!😊

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Whether or not the crew where masks or if some ships are requiring crew to wear mask is of no concern to me. I don't need to see the crews' smiling faces. All I need is the service they provide. And quite frankly some people look way better wearing a mask then when they go mask-less. 😷 😁

I need to see their smiling faces so I can "hear" them.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DirtyDawg said:

Are you saying the crew should not wear masks so you can "hear" them?

If @DirtyDawgdoesn't, I do.  I need to see their mouth to hear them.  It's kinda like reading lips.  My hearing is bad but not the kind of bad that can be aided with hearing aides.  So, I rely on seeing the "smiling face", especially in noisy places/situations, to know (hear them) what they are saying.  Generally speaking, if I can't see your face, all I hear is moji jsoifjsaj kjsf nmsfojiwe bla bla bla.  Seeing a face is also one of the many factors involved in social intercourse.  Good or bad.  I like seeing the crew's face for many reasons, knowing what they are saying is a big part of it.  Especially crews, they are from all over the world and have different degrees of accents which make it even harder to hear/understand the spoken word.  Anyone in Law Enforcement will tell you that being able to see someone's face (the whole face) is an important part of their job, being able to decern a lot of factors.   

My wife is my source of repeating what people say to me in noisy, masked, or heavily accented situations.  It can be embarrassing at times especially if what I think was said, wasn't.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

14 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Are you saying the crew should not wear masks so you can "hear" them?

I will follow masking guidelines as long as it seems wise.  However, when I sailed a year ago, I definitely had more difficulty understanding some of the servers.  Besides their voices being muffled, I hadn't previously realized how much I had relied on seeing their faces to understand what they were saying.  I never considered myself a lip reader, but I now know what a difference that makes - on a cruise or out in the world the past three years.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

If @DirtyDawgdoesn't, I do.  I need to see their mouth to hear them.  It's kinda like reading lips.  My hearing is bad but not the kind of bad that can be aided with hearing aides.  So, I rely on seeing the "smiling face", especially in noisy places/situations, to know (hear them) what they are saying.  Generally speaking, if I can't see your face, all I hear is moji jsoifjsaj kjsf nmsfojiwe bla bla bla.  Seeing a face is also one of the many factors involved in social intercourse.  Good or bad.  I like seeing the crew's face for many reasons, knowing what they are saying is a big part of it.  Especially crews, they are from all over the world and have different degrees of accents which make it even harder to hear/understand the spoken word.  Anyone in Law Enforcement will tell you that being able to see someone's face (the whole face) is an important part of their job, being able to decern a lot of factors.   

My wife is my source of repeating what people say to me in noisy, masked, or heavily accented situations.  It can be embarrassing at times especially if what I think was said, wasn't.  

Mrs. Dawg made me take a hearing test last year and I ended up needing hearing aids. I got mine from Costco. They have a built in function that makes people wearing masks easier to hear. Haven't used them on a cruise yet but they work great in noisy situations  and masked situations. And the added bonus is they also have Bluetooth so I can listen to Spotify when my irritating in-laws come over for dinner! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Mrs. Dawg made me take a hearing test last year and I ended up needing hearing aids. I got mine from Costco. They have a built in function that makes people wearing masks easier to hear. Haven't used them on a cruise yet but they work great in noisy situations  and masked situations. And the added bonus is they also have Bluetooth so I can listen to Spotify when my irritating in-laws come over for dinner! 

LOL, I have no in-laws left.  So, now I"M THE in-law.  I make the best of it too.

No Costco here.  But, my major problem is Tinnitus, bad, and other things that I don't understand and have been told that aides won't help.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

LOL, I have no in-laws left.  So, now I"M THE in-law.  I make the best of it too.

No Costco here.  But, my major problem is Tinnitus, bad, and other things that I don't understand and have been told that aides won't help.  

I wore them to the Blue Jays baseball game a couple of weeks ago to tune out the mouthy 'know-it-all' who sits a couple of rows behind us. Why are the mouthiest/loudest  people at sporting events almost always the ones who know the least about the sport? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I wore them to the Blue Jays baseball game a couple of weeks ago to tune out the mouthy 'know-it-all' who sits a couple of rows behind us. Why are the mouthiest/loudest  people at sporting events almost always the ones who know the least about the sport? 🤔

Because they can be!

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Exact same situation! Costco rocks! Just got mine in Jamuary for the same reasons! Best $1400.00 spent recently.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FireEMT978 said:

Exact same situation! Costco rocks! Just got mine in Jamuary for the same reasons! Best $1400.00 spent recently.

LOL, I'm kinda cheap, especially for something as expensive as hearing aides.  I believe my wife does a good job, she will outlast me and she doesn't cost me extra, actually she contributes $$$.  LOL  

On a serious note, I've had civilian doctors tell me that they can help me, for thousands of $$$$.  The VA doctors that I've seen for this same issue tell me that I can get hearing aides, for free from the VA, but they wont make any difference for me.  I'll go with the VA doctors as they have absolutely NO skin in the game and don't stand to make any money from it the prescription.  Coca Cola makes more per case than the VA Doctors do, sorta.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Why would they be wearing them anyway?

Because Covid is alive and well and crew may want to protect their ability to earn their wage, tips, and keep their income flow rather than take mask off…risk getting sick and having to quarantine and loose income.   Having just gotten off a cruise where many were self reported and quarantined and many…a lot…who hacked, coughed, sniffled as they drank, ate, talked, laughed, and continued with their cruise routine knowingly or unknowingly spread the virus.   

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CRUIS4ME said:

Because Covid is alive and well and crew may want to protect their ability to earn their wage, tips, and keep their income flow rather than take mask off…risk getting sick and having to quarantine and loose income.   Having just gotten off a cruise where many were self reported and quarantined and many…a lot…who hacked, coughed, sniffled as they drank, ate, talked, laughed, and continued with their cruise routine knowingly or unknowingly spread the virus.   

Once again I find myself using discretion in my response.   I'll only say that people are still getting sick with masks on!  That is all

• Like 5

We’re on Harmony right now.

Most if not all crew members were wearing masks today. Just got on at Noon. Though we both just recalled that the young woman who signed us in for the Safety Drill thing (at our Mustard Station) was not wearing a mask. Though, our Muster Location was outside at the Aqua Theatre. 

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18

17 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Once again I find myself using discretion in my response.   I'll only say that people are still getting sick with masks on!  That is all

No problem….question was asked why the crew are wearing masks…just proposed a theory.  😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

I was on Wonder last week and saw 50% or more of MDR staff and stateroom attendants still wearing them. For others like bartenders and retail shops staff, not so much. As others have said, they should be able to mask and protect themselves if they choose to.

Aren't all crew vaccinated and boosted? That is enough protection for them. Unless they are wearing N95 masks, they shouldn't bother wearing a mask. That goes for anyone else who chooses to mask also.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Aren't all crew vaccinated and boosted? That is enough protection for them. Unless they are wearing N95 masks, they shouldn't bother wearing a mask. That goes for anyone else who chooses to mask also.

Here we go.....

• Haha 5