Curious What is Your Opinion in buying Carnival Stock to get the OBCs

mcrcruiser

3 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

As we approach the winter season, what are the chances that the small Caribbean ports will reimpose vax, testing, mask and insurance requirements? Will you still cruise if the ships do that?

There is zero chance they will reimpose mandates. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

OMG! CCL traded as low as $7.01 this morning. Down 20% and right at the Morgan Stanley target of $7.

And the last time CCL traded at $7, .... Bush the first was prez, Braniff went out of bizness, the Olympics opened in Barcelona, all in July 1992. Meanwhile the Westerdam, no not the current one, but the previous one bought used from Homeric was HAL's newest ship. 

Edited by voyageur9
typos

100 Carnival shares especially now for folks that cruise a lot is a great return.

Dividend yield (no actual dividend but the OBC) would be a whopping 62.5% (tax free, no tax on OBC) if you cruised two 14 night cruises a year and got the $500 in OBC and bought the stock at 8 bucks a share.

$8 x 100 shares = $800

$250 OBC x 2 cruises = $500

$500/$800 = 62.5% return

It would be the best performing stock in your portfolio.  

We've had it for years but our yield is not as good...obviously.  

It is a no brainer if you cruise a lot.

• Like 3

To recap the day.

CCL ended up about 24% down and closed at $7.01. Lowest it's been since 1993. It looks like after hours trading will see $6.

NCL lost another18%

RCL lost about 13%

For comparison sake, the S&P lost 1.5% 

If the OP had purchased the stock when they posted last Tuesday, they would lost $250 just this week.

I do agree that if you have several cruises planned in the near future this maybe something looking into. The most you would lose is $700 (if you purchased now at $7 a share)  in a restructure and it's likely you could sell some before it hit zero. 

6 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

I agree that is over.. 

There is a mask requirement on the Zuiderdam as she sails towards San Diego for the start of the Tales of the South Pacific Cruise.  WCB thinks it will remain in effect until at least Hawaii.  

• Like 1

Check with your stock broker if you own mutual funds in your name with CCL shares. HAL told us that will count if you can show detail of at least 100 shares. Then you don't have to worry about buying more and insolvency.

46 minutes ago, albingirl said:

I read this morning that the value is about to go to zero dollars per share.  Ugh.

Analysts have the same accuracy rating as a monkey shooting darts at a stock chart (no joke lol).

Don't get me wrong, I'm still holding short, but I don't think this will hit zero anytime in the near future.

This is the blurb released today that I believe is most concerning for the long term investors. While tempting to purchase for the OBC, this still has room to fall before a VERY very slow uptick. Before buying for OBC, consider the risk and the likelihood that your money can do better placed somewhere else for the next few years.  Keep in mind, I'm no better than a monkey ;-). 

image.png.80c908eea974f3ba7772ec9a7d7fa408.png

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4544340-carnival-q3-earnings-disappoints-investors

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMO getting stock for a $100 discount on a single cruise or even several cruises is a very poor investment (unless you think the stock is going to go up & the discount is just a nice bonus of a stock you would buy anyway). That being said if you cruise a lot on Carnival brands the math changes, particularly with stock prices as low as they are now. I have met some folks who lost $4-5K on CCL but have made more than that back in shareholder benefits because they cruise that much. Also keep in mind that if you buy 100 shares for the shareholder benefit, the stock price changes are basically irrelevant. You have to hold those shares as long as you want the benefit, you will never sell those 100 shares and as long you cruise so as CCL does not go bankrupt it will go up and down for as long as you live. At $7 a share I think it would be hard to pass on for anyone with 5-6 cruises in the next year or so. 

• Like 2

Just submitted  request for a $250  On board credit for a 18 night cruise  ,Prior to that got 3 shorter cruises    doe another  total $  250   in OBCs   .so getting a total of $500  in OBCs  .Mind you can not  pocket  this cash but got to use it on the cruises or loose it  .  We can use it for tips  .One $250  OBC plus HAL is giving us another  $500    OBC for our Hawaii cruise   will nicely take care of the $576 in tips & we will  have $174 left over for  dinners in the speciality restaurants like Tamarins ,Pinnacle    ie , on our 18 night  Hawaii cruise 

Imo it all depends  on the benefit you can get  & holding the stock for the shortest time period now  ;because of both this stocks volatility & the market  in general 

• Like 1

A $700 potential loss is peanuts in a portfolio.  I am sure we have all lost more than that in the past 3 months.  If you intend to cruise a few times or for some long journeys it is worth it.  Grab your OBC and sell the stock if you want. There is no rule that you must continue to own it 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

A $700 potential loss is peanuts in a portfolio.  I am sure we have all lost more than that in the past 3 months.  If you intend to cruise a few times or for some long journeys it is worth it.  Grab your OBC and sell the stock if you want. There is no rule that you must continue to own it 

Mary you are taking to the quire  . Did that done that & made profits in selling the shares .  Can not see going long in this stock market so we are shorting  .not every day is a winner but ,this economy  is  telling investors watch out below  & it is world wide   for at least the next 2 years  . Look the bull has run a long time so it is now the time for the bear 

Edited by mcrcruiser

On 9/30/2022 at 3:18 PM, FlaMariner said:

100 Carnival shares especially now for folks that cruise a lot is a great return.

Dividend yield (no actual dividend but the OBC) would be a whopping 62.5% (tax free, no tax on OBC) if you cruised two 14 night cruises a year and got the $500 in OBC and bought the stock at 8 bucks a share.

$8 x 100 shares = $800

$250 OBC x 2 cruises = $500

$500/$800 = 62.5% return

It would be the best performing stock in your portfolio.  

We've had it for years but our yield is not as good...obviously.  

It is a no brainer if you cruise a lot.

And, currently Fidelity has a deal going. If you open an account with $50.00, they will deposit $100.00 into that account at the 90 day mark. You do not need to be a new customer to get this deal.  Add that to the math...

🙂

Edited by LarsenPNP
clarification

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 7:52 AM, LarsenPNP said:

And, currently Fidelity has a deal going. If you open an account with $50.00, they will deposit $100.00 into that account at the 90 day mark. You do not need to be a new customer to get this deal.  Add that to the math...

🙂

That is what I did.  Bought 100 shares at $6.82.  Will take 4 - 7 day cruises by next summer. If I count the $100 bonus from Fidelity (I am counting it because the Carnival OBC is what caused me to look into trading), I will have a net cost of $182 for 100 shares.  Seems like a good risk to me.

Steve

• Like 1