Mobility scooter on board "parking"

katstoy

Ok, I've decided that yes, I am getting old, and that yes, for my next trip I am renting a scooter due to hip and knee issues.   I can walk short distances, but the long ones - from my aft cabin to the bow showroom - I will need the scooter.  Anyone know if there are "parking" areas for the scooters at each venue?  I can drive to the main showroom but would be able to walk to find a seat, same with the restaurants.  Is there a place to park, kind of like leaving your stroller at Disneyland, for the scooters?

• Like 1

I sailed with a friend recently who had a rented scooter.  In the dining room, she rode the scooter to our table and the dining room staff took the scooter to a nearby area for storage and brought it back after the meal.  In the theater, she rode it in and sat in one of the designated wheelchair spaces in the theater.  I have never seen a designated parking area for scooters. She had an accessible stateroom so her scooter fit into her room.  Scooters are not allowed to be parked in the hallways, so try to get an accessible room when you book.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, katstoy said:

I can walk short distances, but the long ones - from my aft cabin to the bow showroom - I will need the scooter.  

As nwcruiselover mentioned, your scooter MUST fit in your cabin. Be very sure it will as not compensation will be made. Here is the FAQ if you have not read it.

"Due to safety considerations, devices cannot be stored in corridors or public areas. In order to purchase a standard stateroom, devices must be able to fit in its 22" (55.9 cm) wide entry doorway, and when stored, must allow for safe exit from the stateroom. Guests, who bring scooters that are larger than 21" (53.34 cm) wide, or travel with multiple scooters in the same stateroom, must purchase a fully accessible stateroom with a wider doorway (32”, 81.3 cm), or rent a smaller scooter appropriately suited for their stateroom. Guests may be required to have their scooters sized at the time of check-in to ensure it fits in the stateroom. Scooters that do not fit in the stateroom will not be allowed on board. Should a guest be unable to make alternate arrangements to rent a smaller scooter or travel without it, he/she will be denied boarding and no compensation will be provided."

• Like 2

I recently cruised twice on Royal in the last 6 weeks with a scooter.  I am having hip replacement and it was a life saver.  Check the dimensions of your scooter and the cabin door dimensions.  It does need to be parked and charged in the cabin overnight.  Anyway, I am like you and can walk a bit, but not all the way across the ship.  Just park your scooter along the wall outside of the venue you are visiting. TAKE YOUR KEY!  All keys fit all scooters.  I also attached a ribbon on the basket to easily identify my scooter.  I didn't use it very much, but it allowed me to get to places that would have caused me a lot of pain if I attempted to walk.  Good luck!   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

I also attached a ribbon on the basket to easily identify my scooter. 

Great idea!  Now I need to think of something to attach.  A pinwheel maybe so I can be entertained as I move along perhaps.  Something that won't be taken, however.

Edited by katstoy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, katstoy said:

Great idea!  Now I need to think of something to attach.  A pinwheel maybe so I can be entertained as I move along perhaps.  Something that won't be taken, however.

Easy.  Take a clothes pin and attach some playing cards to the spokes of your wheels.

• Haha 3

Does it have to be a scooter? When I was a kid people still typically just used a collapsible wheelchair that folds flat- my grandfather used one like that in the last years of his life for long distances, otherwise he used a walker. It takes up a lot less space, is inexpensive and can fit most anywhere. A lot less worry about the room needed.    

16 hours ago, katstoy said:

Ok, I've decided that yes, I am getting old, and that yes, for my next trip I am renting a scooter due to hip and knee issues.   I can walk short distances, but the long ones - from my aft cabin to the bow showroom - I will need the scooter.  Anyone know if there are "parking" areas for the scooters at each venue?  I can drive to the main showroom but would be able to walk to find a seat, same with the restaurants.  Is there a place to park, kind of like leaving your stroller at Disneyland, for the scooters?

I have taken my own scooter on 8 of our past cruises. On Carnival whenever trying to go to the showroom I have not seen any ”parking”areas for a scooter, or there are so few spaces, I didn’t get there soon enough. Even in the back of the theater, it’s very dark, so if I step off, and keep scooter next to me, someone may trip if they aren’t looking.

I just came off Legend two weeks ago, and at that time and on prior cruises, I drive to our table, step off and waiter drives it away, returns my key and then returns the scooter after dinner. This trip was the only time in 27 cruises that I saw about 6 scooters parked outside of the MDR but they were tucked away in a space to the left of the entrance, well out of the way of guests. I’m guessing that’s where the waiters on the Legend store scooters during dinner. Just check with maitre’d when you board to see where your table is located and based on that, ask if you can park scooter yourself outside and walk to your table.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, katstoy said:

Yeah in the dining room, the waiters will take your scooter and park it by the front door, with 10-20 other scooters and walkers.

Last month on the Sunshine, DW and I tried to sit in one of those round booth type seating areas in the theater and just put her walker behind the seats to be out of the way of others.

But before the show started a waiter came over and took her walker away and brought it back after the show was over. (which by then we had to sit and wait for everyone to leave the theater to be able to leave, then wound up waiting forever for an elevator)

Hopefully your cruise goes smoothly.

Elevators with a walker is the worst part. (luckily we didn't have to deal with any tender ports)

On 10/7/2022 at 8:30 PM, katstoy said:

I am an Alabama football fan so I attached a Bama ribbon.  Easy for me to locate and I got a lot of Roll Tides, too!

To answer your question (without questioning your need for a scooter or providing other advice good or bad):

1. In the MDR you can either ride your scooter to your table and they will take it away and park it for you, or they will show you where you can park it and you can walk to your table.
  2. In the theater and other similar venues, you could stay in your scooter and use one of the "wheelchair" spaces or you can ask any employee at the door where you can park.  They will show you where you can park your scooter and you can walk to a seat.  

DH always cruises with a scooter and we have never found it to be difficult to navigate the dining areas or theaters with it.

1 hour ago, luv2travel32 said:

My sister will need to rent a scooter.  Where have you all rented them?  Does the rental company drop it off at the cruise terminal?  Any information will be extremely helpful.  TYIA

Scootaround is the most used rental scooter company. They have the scooter in your cabin when you board. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luv2travel32 said:

My sister will need to rent a scooter.  Where have you all rented them?  Does the rental company drop it off at the cruise terminal?  Any information will be extremely helpful.  TYIA

Carnival only works with Scootaround and we have used them several times.  You can call to order, or order online.  I've even seen someone rent one at the port 😮 

They used to deliver it to your room, but since the restart they have kiosks at all of the ports that I've been to and you pick your scooter up there.  It is actually more convenient that way because you can use it all through the check in and boarding process and don't have to go to your room to get it.

Overall, the process is very easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, luv2travel32 said:

They are expensive to rent, around 200 for the week.  If she can be pushed, you can buy a rollator for half that price or less depending upon weight capacity and quality.

• 3 months later...

So I am getting conflicting information from Carnival and Scootaround. BF is eligible for a scooter from the VA that is too wide to fit through the doors of our cabin for our October cruise. 

When I called Carnival this morning, I was told we cannot leave the scooter outside our cabin. However, the woman I spoke with today from Scootaround said that Carnival will allow you to park the scooter outside your room (remove battery so it can't be moved).  On previous cruises, I have seen scooters in the hallways. Which is it? 

Please do not share Carnival's policy, I already read it and I spoke with a representative today. Also, please don't tell me to get a handicap accessible room. We don't need all the other amenities that come with an HA room and we don't want an aft cabin. We selected our specific cabin for specific reasons prior to the need of a scooter.  

1 minute ago, BonnieH said:

So I am getting conflicting information from Carnival and Scootaround. BF is eligible for a scooter from the VA that is too wide to fit through the doors of our cabin for our October cruise. 

When I called Carnival this morning, I was told we cannot leave the scooter outside our cabin. However, the woman I spoke with today from Scootaround said that Carnival will allow you to park the scooter outside your room (remove battery so it can't be moved).  On previous cruises, I have seen scooters in the hallways. Which is it? 

Please do not share Carnival's policy, I already read it and I spoke with a representative today. Also, please don't tell me to get a handicap accessible room. We don't need all the other amenities that come with an HA room and we don't want an aft cabin. We selected our specific cabin for specific reasons prior to the need of a scooter.  

Based on your post, it sounds like you have this question to answer: Who are you going to believe - the company that makes and enforces the rules or the company that is trying to sell you the scooter? 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Based on your post, it sounds like you have this question to answer: Who are you going to believe - the company that makes and enforces the rules or the company that is trying to sell you the scooter? 

Having seen scooters in the hallway multiple times, I highly doubt "the company that makes and enforces the rules" is actually doing anything about them.

1 minute ago, BonnieH said:

Having seen scooters in the hallway multiple times, I highly doubt "the company that makes and enforces the rules" is actually doing anything about them.

For all you know, that person may have just popped in the room for a bit and wasn't intending to keep it out there permanently. 

Scooters in the hallways are a huge safety hazard and my guess is that Carnival would get in huge trouble if they got caught allowing it. 

I didn't realize that it's okay to just ignore rules we don't like. 

• Like 4