Dress code

Ja21

It’s very true that things have changed considerably over the years when it comes to appropriate dress, especially for men. My grandfathers generation wore ties at work (even in manual jobs) and persisted in wearing them every day through their retirement. My great Uncle lived to 99 years of age and I don’t ever recall seeing him without a tie. Fast forward two generations and although I wore a suit at work and had a senior role, for the last 15 years of my career I didn’t wear a tie. I remember taking my mother-in-law to Manoir Quatre Saison’s for her birthday and she was absolutely horrified to see guests in t-shirts, torn jeans and trainers. I was quite surprised too, but was more horrified by the bill 😂 I’ve been fortunate enough to dine in many other Michelin star restaurants and I can’t remember any insisting on ties, let alone suits or DJ’s. None the less, they were all first class dining experiences and I enjoyed them all the more by feeling relaxed and comfortable. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

I didn't say any of those things, and I certainly didn't make any derogatory comments about anything or anyone, so I'm not sure why you chose to quote my post when making this comment.

I was being polite. I choose your post because I was replying to a comment you made to me but sorry for upsetting you.

I've been seriously thinking of not bothering to take my DJ on our forthcoming Iona cruise. Only 2 formals over 2 weeks and I feel that Iona is a bit more relaxed than the other ships imho of course. 

But I would still need to take a dark suit as we like to use the MDR on the formal nights.  

I'm starting to lean towards taking the DJ - haven't worn it so far this year, so need to take it out of the wardrobe and my dark suit did get an airing this year albeit once.

Still humming an haaaaing.  Five weeks to make a decision.....

7 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I've been seriously thinking of not bothering to take my DJ on our forthcoming Iona cruise. Only 2 formals over 2 weeks and I feel that Iona is a bit more relaxed than the other ships imho of course. 

But I would still need to take a dark suit as we like to use the MDR on the formal nights.  

I'm starting to lean towards taking the DJ - haven't worn it so far this year, so need to take it out of the wardrobe and my dark suit did get an airing this year albeit once.

If you are going to take one or the other, you might as well take the DJ and do it properly! Can I assume that our 7 night cruise on Iona will have just one formal night?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

If you are going to take one or the other, you might as well take the DJ and do it properly! Can I assume that our 7 night cruise on Iona will have just one formal night?

As far as I am aware, Iona currently only does one formal per week.  Was like that last year when we were on a staycation cruise.

Cruise Personaliser for next month is showing one per week as well.

• Thanks 1

My view is if there is a dress code in a particular restaurant/venue then it should be adhered too and enforced. Unfortunately neither are. Many people are quick to say I don’t care what people wear, it doesn’t bother me or affect  my holiday, whilst true, they probably would  be the first to complain when someone starts smoking in the crows nest or on the balcony next door, but it’s the same thing, a rule that is either enforced or not.  Is it ok to bring your €3 booze bought ashore to drink in the MDR or bar ? 
It’s like a toddler, the more you let them push the boundaries the further they will go ….

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I respect the dress code for the area of the ship I am in, except where I have to pass through quickly.  I wouldn't dream of entering the Crows Nest on formal night in non-formal.  As I choose to do non-formal I accept my movements are restricted.

Being pedantic, and I'm no lawyer and health & safety expert...  Smoking on the other hand is a) probably illegal inside and would be stamped on very quickly; b) a safety risk; and c) can affect someone's health.  Me wearing jeans on formal night in the Crows Nest is neither.  But I still wouldn't do the latter and yes I should be told to leave.  I have regularly seen people turned away from onboard venues for being in the wrong attire.

We had a discussion about whether drinking a non-alcoholic bottle of beer was allowed at my desk at work where alcohol is banned.  Another pushing the boundaries but we concluded that was a perception thing too.

• Like 4

Isn't the issue that the "rules " are set so as to set a certain standard ?

I would  be  quite happy  if formal nights became "dress to impress " nights.  DJ or kilt, if you wish, but a decent jacket and shirt and chinos if you wish (talking as a chap, obvs) would be perfectly OK. 

However,  once you go down that route, the flood gates open, in as much as a clean tee shirt and decent jeans can be seen, by some, as obeying the dress code. Good luck to the Maitre'D deciding what is acceptable and what is not. 

I have no answer !

Personally,  on a cruise from Southampton,  I will pack a DJ (two in fact!), but on a fly cruise,  a jacket and chinos, with tie, will suffice.

Just to add, in the three or four years prior to stopping working, I gave up wearing a suit. Just couldn't see the point. So, decent jacket and tie and smart trousers.  None of my customers (JS, M&S, Tesco etc) seemed to care,  and my overseas customers cared even less ! 

Edited by wowzz

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Isn't the issue that the "rules " are set so as to set a certain standard ?

I would  be  quite happy  if formal nights became "dress to impress " nights.  DJ or kilt, if you wish, but a decent jacket and shirt and chinos if you wish (talking as a chap, obvs) would be perfectly OK. 

However,  once you go down that route, the flood gates open, in as much as a clean tee shirt and decent jeans can be seen, by some, as obeying the dress code. Good luck to the Maitre'D deciding what is acceptable and what is not. 

I have no answer !

Personally,  on a cruise from Southampton,  I will pack a DJ (two in fact!), but on a fly cruise,  a jacket and chinos, with tie, will suffice.

I agree, what I was hinting at rather badly in a previous post.  "Business casual" dress code in my office is taken as being shirt and tie, shirt, chinos, trainers, t-shirt...

I'm all for a mix, those that want to do formal can with A, B and C venues being formal.  X, Y and Z are informal and L, M and N are mixed formal and non-formal.  My suggestion of having front of ship formal and back of the ship informal have fallen down until I become a ship designer.

2 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I changed from wearing a DJ to a navy blue suit when the peninsular club? magazine featured a couple dressed by a fashion designer ? The man had a navy blue suit. So IF I take any formal wear it would be a navy blue suit and either a baby blue or baby pink shirt with appropriate tie.

• Like 1

With the P&O of 2022, with all its flaws, economies and stripped back service, isn’t it just a tad bizarre to be clinging on to this mythical ethos of luxury cruising in a Travelodge environment?

Of course, it doesn’t cost P&O one penny, it creates an illusion, and it provides them with pictures and copy for the brochures - so all good for P&O! Once they’ve established that it’s costing them customers, probably very soon, that will be that.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Once they’ve established that it’s costing them customers, probably very soon, that will be that.

I doubt very much that it is costing them customers.  If you have no wish to dress up, there are plenty of dining options available to you,  especially on the two new ships. . 

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I doubt very much that it is costing them customers.  If you have no wish to dress up, there are plenty of dining options available to you,  especially on the two new ships. . 

I don’t know the new ships, but on the older ships I don’t recall any civilised non-chargeable options for passengers preferring simply to wear smart casual on formal nights. I always take a dark suit for that reason, but having spent my entire working life in one it’s not the way I’d prefer to spend a holiday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I don’t know the new ships, but on the older ships I don’t recall any civilised non-chargeable options for passengers preferring simply to wear smart casual on formal nights. I always take a dark suit for that reason, but having spent my entire working life in one it’s not the way I’d prefer to spend a holiday.

We have some friends who have been on 2 Virgin Cruises in the last 6 months, they fully enjoyed the atmosphere on board, no dress codes and freedom to dine in any of the restaurants without additional charge. We are looking at Virgin as a possibility for a cruise in 2023 or 2024 not only based on the above,reasons, but we would like to try a different way of cruising that that offered by P&O. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

When Arvia comes along, P&O will probably be flogging getting on for 20,000 cruises a week. 

4 hours ago, Fionboard said:

You should watch the recent TV series filmed on a Virgin cruise first. May change your mind. Each to their own but my idea of hell! Suppose it depends on your age.

Not interested in watching what is an edited program to get maximum audience watching, prefer to listen to friends who been on a cruise, both who in their 60s. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Not interested in watching what is an edited program to get maximum audience watching, prefer to listen to friends who been on a cruise, both who in their 60s. 

Regardless of that having "parked" next to one of these monstrosities in Cannes they must go down as the ugliest ships at sea! 

Is it correct they don't actually have beds but pull downs?  All too OTT for me but would be very interested in how you get on.

18 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Regardless of that having "parked" next to one of these monstrosities in Cannes they must go down as the ugliest ships at sea! 

Is it correct they don't actually have beds but pull downs?  All too OTT for me but would be very interested in how you get on.

There is an interesting thread on the Princess board, comparing Virgin to Princess, which might be worth following.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

With the P&O of 2022, with all its flaws, economies and stripped back service, isn’t it just a tad bizarre to be clinging on to this mythical ethos of luxury cruising in a Travelodge environment?

Of course, it doesn’t cost P&O one penny, it creates an illusion, and it provides them with pictures and copy for the brochures - so all good for P&O! Once they’ve established that it’s costing them customers, probably very soon, that will be that.

Maybe this is something that varies between ships in the fleet. Aurora this year certainly didn't feel like a Travelodge. No, it's not luxury any more but still compares well to a standard UK 4-star hotel imho...

• Like 2

For the avoidance of doubt, I will comply with any dress code out of respect for my fellow passengers even if I personally would prefer not to. But I do not accept that this precludes me from arguing that the code should be changed. WE are far to ready nowadays in this country to try to stiffle dissent, and sadly this forum is no exception.

On a completely different topic, I have sailed twice this year with Saga. They have black tie nights but they are effectively optional in that the dress code is enforced only in one restaurant, the Grand Dining Room. The other main restaurant the Grill, which offers the same waiter served menu in the evening and the rest of the ship accept Evening Casual. This allows them to compete with their new market sector of Viking, Oceania and Azamara, none of which have formal nights, whilst satisfying the desire of former P&O and Cunard customers to dress up. Could not P&O follow suite?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

They are party ships. Yes, very OTT indeed. Each to their own though.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

No sure why they would want pull down beds as ships adults only.

Some would say Iona & Arvia are not that attractive either, but that’s the way of new cruise ships today it would appear. 

Edited by Snow Hill

21 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We skipped 3,our of 4 on Britannia,  so can easily skip 2 out of 2 on our next Iona cruise.

• Like 2

We’ve previously enjoyed dressing up in full tux etc on formal nights at times, when those eves felt special, too, with food really elevated from the bog-standard typical fayre and an exciting ambience.

But after our last few cruises this year - which we otherwise mostly loved - despite making the effort, everything else often felt meh, withcelebratorymenus akin to our local Harvester, and it felt like just another evening on board.

And I’m not easily swayed by cheap looking “free drink” cards! Nice enough evenings in all - it’s a great holiday after all - just nothing special compared to the usual eves. Although I appreciate it’s all subjective!

• Like 3