Boston summit foliage cruise

roupa

Unfortunately the experiences from this year or last are not a look into the future. The peak colours can vary by weeks depending on the weather leading up to the fall. Green one year can be no leaves left another year, or anything in between.

This was 6 years ago on a Oct 4 cruise...

DSCN4346.JPG

DSCN4348.JPG

Edited by RTShaker

Late September is the norm in Quebec City.  Early October in New Brunswick.   Mid October in Maine.  Has varied by several weeks.  This year St John NB color started 20 September and was still going strong early October.  Some areas lost their leaves with the hurricane. 

Just completed cruise 9/22-10/3.  This year, way too early for peak colors.  Foliage just starting to turn. Hurricane Fiona caused major rescheduling so we missed St. John, NB and Sydney, NS.

October departure should give you peak colors.

We’re on the current cruise. Fabulous colors in Quebec City (Montmorency Falls). Good colors today in Sydney (we hiked up the Coxheath Trail at Blacketts Lake) in spite of the hurricane. Some fall colors in Halifax,  Bar Harbor, and Portland. We have fall colors photos from all of our ports and have enjoyed beautiful, crisp fall weather with jackets, gloves, and hats.

Maine also has a fall colors web page.https://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/projects/fall_foliage/index.shtml You can sign up for updated 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, upwarduk said:

My Canadian BIL told me once that you have to had a frost before the leaves turn.

You don’t need a frost , it has more to do with the amount of sunlight 

But everyone may not believe what written in the link as it has to do with science 😁

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/chemistry-fall-color-19160

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

We are currently on the Summit which left Boston on October 3. This is our third time doing the same itinerary.  Our other 2 cruises were in September and the colors were no where near what we experienced this year. 

You have to wait until after Thanksgiving in Canada to see the best colours 

Also it best to find a place with a lot of Maple Trees 😁

birch trees is go yellow, boring 😔

11 hours ago, twsalso said:

Just completed cruise 9/22-10/3.  This year, way too early for peak colors.  Foliage just starting to turn. Hurricane Fiona caused major rescheduling so we missed St. John, NB and Sydney, NS.

October departure should give you peak colors.

Agree with October. We don't cruise for the fall colors. Just consider them a bonus to the great itinerary. We were also on the 21 September Summit NE/Canada cruise. Second time (September 2019) for doing this itinerary. I was on the helipad as we heading into Quebec. A lot of fall colors along the St. Lawrence River. Along with missing Saint John N.B and Sydney N.S. we also missed Charlottetown P.E.I. due to Fiona. Bummer, but ship happens. Still had a fun, safe and healthy cruise. Always another time. 

11 hours ago, scrapcreator said:

We’re on the current cruise. Fabulous colors in Quebec City (Montmorency Falls). Good colors today in Sydney (we hiked up the Coxheath Trail at Blacketts Lake) in spite of the hurricane. Some fall colors in Halifax,  Bar Harbor, and Portland. We have fall colors photos from all of our ports and have enjoyed beautiful, crisp fall weather with jackets, gloves, and hats.

Maine also has a fall colors web page.https://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/projects/fall_foliage/index.shtml You can sign up for updated 

Ditto. We are also on this cruise now. 

On 10/13/2022 at 7:50 PM, cruisestitch said:

We hit pretty much the peak for color in Quebec. However it was very cold there.

Sadly, for the leaves to change color, we need at least to have cold nights. And in Quebec or on the St-Lawrence River, it often is quite chilly in the fall, especially with the wind. (I live in Montreal, and we are often "surprised" not being dressed warm enough when visiting Quebec. Last week, when visiting the Quebec mosaicultures, was no exception!

In my opinion, the best time of the year to visit Quebec, Montreal, Charlottetown, Sydney etc... is the summer. You will not see the colored leaves, but you will be able to enjoy all the festivals, the restaurant terrasses and so many more fun outdoor activities. It is also less likely to end up with a "full" rainy day in the summer.

Sadly, few cruise lines operate in our area in the summer and I don't believe Celebrity is one of them.

On 10/13/2022 at 7:50 PM, RTShaker said:

Unfortunately the experiences from this year or last are not a look into the future. The peak colours can vary by weeks depending on the weather leading up to the fall. Green one year can be no leaves left another year, or anything in between.

This was 6 years ago on a Oct 4 cruise...

DSCN4346.JPG

DSCN4348.JPG

Now this is what I call color. Did not see anything like this on October 3 Summit.