So, What Is The Final Word...

Ret MP

8 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Just curious what you do if you have an issue when travelling and don't have your phone.  Having recently had to call AAA twice because of damaged tires, I definitely needed my phone or I would have been standing waiting for a stranger to stop and help me.  I have also gotten sick on my last two cruises and needed to make calls.  I could have used the high priced phone in my cabin, but our cellphones allowed by my DH and I to make calls and handle arrangements that needed to be made.

I'm currently in Disney where you really have to have your phone as you need the app to buy tickets then reserve a park.  I was in line at Shades of green the other day for 45 minutes watching 3 people trying to download an app on one phone.  They didn't believe in phones on vacation.  I need my phone on upcoming Allure trip to whatsapp Hayhu beach club in Costa Maya for ride pickup.  I had to purchase NASA tickets on my phone last night because I got an alert on my phone at Disney Springs there was a launch today.  There is no way I could be this detailed without a phone.  I get everyone is different and people don't like to carry them.  I am happy that I do because I know I would miss out on a lot if I left my phone home on vacation as active as we are.  

53 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I get everyone is different and people don't like to carry them.  I am happy that I do because I know I would miss out on a lot if I left my phone home on vacation as active as we are.  

That's awesome that you are so active that you need a phone.  Kinda funny...we're extremely active, and don't need one.  I agree it gets more challenging as the world becomes more dependent on technology.  That being said, we've survived on the dozen or so cruises in the past year....hope we make it another year w/o carrying our pacifier.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

That's awesome that you are so active that you need a phone.  Kinda funny...we're extremely active, and don't need one.  I agree it gets more challenging as the world becomes more dependent on technology.  That being said, we've survived on the dozen or so cruises in the past year....hope we make it another year w/o carrying our pacifier.

You know your post was friendly until the end.  You don't need to be insulting.  

7 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

You know your post was friendly until the end.  You don't need to be insulting.  

I apologize…did not mean to be insulting what-so-ever.  That’s simply what I refer tech as….and yes, I’m on a tech device (pacifier) right now. 
I could have said same about your post….friendly until the end (active), but I have no real idea how you meant the comment. Again, I apologize if you can accept it. If not, you’ll have to get over it. 

3 hours ago, jaredwynter said:

it's like some people feel better about themselves or better than others because they are not carrying or using a phone...LOL. Its 2022 weirdos

Who said that and how did they say it?  

• Haha 1

Have had to ask for them on every cruise since the restart but the stewards have been good about it.  I much prefer reading my compass before bed or at breakfast.  It has more info then the app and things are quicker to find.  For instance tell me where does it list the drink of the day on the app?  Maybe I’m missing it.  I’m sure somewhere it says what the dress for the night is but again I don’t know where.  App is good for menus.  Is port info on the app?  You know the number to call if you get left behind?      Where is the all aboard time on the app?  Hours for things like the photo place? Maybe I’m just not good enough with it to find everything yet.  I will keep asking for paper until they say no more.  I do read and use the compass.  One of my stewards mentioned he only gets requests for them from the “older” cruisers or D+ and above.  Guess I’m old…..

5 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Have had to ask for them on every cruise since the restart but the stewards have been good about it.  I much prefer reading my compass before bed or at breakfast.  It has more info then the app and things are quicker to find.  For instance tell me where does it list the drink of the day on the app?  Maybe I’m missing it.  I’m sure somewhere it says what the dress for the night is but again I don’t know where.  App is good for menus.  Is port info on the app?  You know the number to call if you get left behind?      Where is the all aboard time on the app?  Hours for things like the photo place? Maybe I’m just not good enough with it to find everything yet.  I will keep asking for paper until they say no more.  I do read and use the compass.  One of my stewards mentioned he only gets requests for them from the “older” cruisers or D+ and above.  Guess I’m old…..

Me too. Like paper.   We have our phones but the app isn't always correct. 

We did a B2B Caribbean cruise on the Explorer in March and the Cruise Compass was always in our cabin. Never had to ask for it. Did a NE/Canada September cruise on Celebrity Summit and the Celerity Today was always in our stateroom. Never had to ask. FYI if anyone is considering Celebrity. Prefer the paper copy over the app that is consistently inconsistent. 👎

On our Hawaii cruise on Quantum couple weeks ago, we asked the room attendance and got the cruise compass on the bed every night.They also had stacks of black and white mini version  of the cruise compass at the Windjammer and dining rooms entrance. 

Edited by Moon Orchid
  • Like 1

Just off Explorer. We asked for it at Diamond lounge and was pointed to the QR code to scan. Our room steward did put paper version in our room Days 2-8 after we asked. We did also scan the QR code daily and will probably just do that in the future. Only issue to get over is we do like looking at it the night before the day ahead. I found one time scanning the QR code in the evening bright me to both the current and next day cruise compass to view. 

We got paper version daily, after requesting on the first day.  We are definitely not in suites.

The other nice thing was that we did NOT get papers re spa/art auction/excursions/sales in the shops. We kept our wastebasket pretty empty.

We have been on three cruises this year, Harmony, Symphony and Voyager.  We were in a regular oceanview balcony cabin.  We had a paper compass on each cruise every night in our cabin, we never requested them, they we just there and I hope it will be the same in January when we sail on Wonder.

In one of Royal's online pages it says that an App is required.  But, we all know that that isn't true.

Someone in here said that they were in Disney at the time of their post and that it is required to have an app to purchase tickets, or something to that effect. makes me wonder:

If a business requires an App to do business with them, what do they do with people with ADA issues and don't own a phone or can't use one?  I'm thinking if that is true, they open themselves up to some serious litigation.  I'm sure there is a work around than just a simple, "you have to have an App to do business with us".  

image.thumb.png.0d1905fcd45c71bb6750da6f46d75704.png

Edited by Ret MP

While I like the convenience of being able to have the internet to look things up, buy a ticket, or pull up a boarding pass (heck, cell phone tech support is what I do for a living), I seriously hope that nobody takes any ideas from Disney right now. They've turned Disney World into microtransaction hell. I don't want that insanity spreading anywhere else, especially a cruise where the whole point is to chill and relax and not think about the rush rush rush of the rest of the world.

Disney World right now is a pay-to-win dystopia trying to extract every last bit of cash from people by keeping them glued to their screens pressing buttons instead of actually enjoying the park. This is not an example of the wonders of technology. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, PolicromaSol said:

While I like the convenience of being able to have the internet to look things up, buy a ticket, or pull up a boarding pass (heck, cell phone tech support is what I do for a living), I seriously hope that nobody takes any ideas from Disney right now. They've turned Disney World into microtransaction hell. I don't want that insanity spreading anywhere else, especially a cruise where the whole point is to chill and relax and not think about the rush rush rush of the rest of the world.

Disney World right now is a pay-to-win dystopia trying to extract every last bit of cash from people by keeping them glued to their screens pressing buttons instead of actually enjoying the park. This is not an example of the wonders of technology. 

It's definitely not the Disney World that I spent my honeymoon at 48+ years ago, that's for sure.  I really don't like what it has become.  I don't think I'll be back in this lifetime.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 8:27 PM, Ret MP said:

I don't like to carry my phone while on a cruise.  I carry a camera, a real camera, not a good camera, just a real camera, one that doesn't ring when I'm in the middle of filming or taking a picture.  But, I digress.  About the only part of the Compass that I like to tear out and carry around is the part that gives me the operating hours of the various restaurants, shows, shops and more for that day.   

Exactly the same here.My phone goes into the room safe on day one and does not come out till the last cruise day.I only take pictures with real but cheap cameras.On a cruise years ago I had a good camera ,dropped it in port on a hard surface and said goodbye to the camera.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 10:31 PM, tardy said:

Just got off Oasis Oct 16 . No compass in room unless you ask steward and then he will leave in room each night . also available at customer service but don't stand in line just ask employee walking around in that area and they will get you one

I had issues on Oct 9th sailing

and I was in Jr suite. I

asked steward and was told I would get one ON day 2 which turned out to be FOR day 3.

he said I had to order on line and I did not agree. He got snippy and said I could speak to supervisor.

well next day at C&A tier event I found hotel mgr and told my story to which she resolved but mentioned he might not have had an extra one.

I looked her in the eye and told her most stewards  will bend over backwards to get what a passenger needs. I was nice but firm.

After that he was most accommodating all week and ended up tipping him nicely.

sure wish the spa and art auction

folks would stop their paper deliveries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Exactly the same here.My phone goes into the room safe on day one and does not come out till the last cruise day.I only take pictures with real but cheap cameras.On a cruise years ago I had a good camera ,dropped it in port on a hard surface and said goodbye to the camera.

I have a tendency to leave things at restaurant dining tables, most notably, cameras and sunglasses.  So, I purchased a very cheap camera (Fujifilm XPS, I think) on a cruise, that's after I left an expensive one on the table and didn't get it back.  I've had the cheap one for about a decade now and it does everything I want it to.  I've added a "selfie stick" to my accessories because it stabilizes better when walking and videoing.    

Yep, my phone goes into the safe right after the Muster Drill and the cabin is ready for us.  I try not to see it again until debarkation time, along with my wallet.  I love only carrying a Sea Pass Card in a plastic sheath on a lanyard around my neck.  That's one of many reasons I won't be getting off the ship in Nassau. 

13 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I have a tendency to leave things at restaurant dining tables, most notably, cameras and sunglasses.  So, I purchased a very cheap camera (Fujifilm XPS, I think) on a cruise, that's after I left an expensive one on the table and didn't get it back.  I've had the cheap one for about a decade now and it does everything I want it to.  I've added a "selfie stick" to my accessories because it stabilizes better when walking and videoing.    

Yep, my phone goes into the safe right after the Muster Drill and the cabin is ready for us.  I try not to see it again until debarkation time, along with my wallet.  I love only carrying a Sea Pass Card in a plastic sheath on a lanyard around my neck.  That's one of many reasons I won't be getting off the ship in Nassau. 

I get off the shop in every port I have been to .I carry my sea pass cars and a small amount of money in my pocket.

15 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I had issues on Oct 9th sailing

and I was in Jr suite. I

asked steward and was told I would get one ON day 2 which turned out to be FOR day 3.

he said I had to order on line and I did not agree. He got snippy and said I could speak to supervisor.

well next day at C&A tier event I found hotel mgr and told my story to which she resolved but mentioned he might not have had an extra one.

I looked her in the eye and told her most stewards  will bend over backwards to get what a passenger needs. I was nice but firm.

After that he was most accommodating all week and ended up tipping him nicely.

sure wish the spa and art auction

folks would stop their paper deliveries.

We were also on Oasis October 9th and had no issues getting a paper copy of the compass.  Not sure who you talked to as the hotel director was a man, not a woman.  Maybe you spoke to head of housekeeping.  We only received a few notices all week, nothing for art auction, just a few for the spa.  

On 10/24/2022 at 2:56 PM, reallyitsmema said:

We were also on Oasis October 9th and had no issues getting a paper copy of the compass.  Not sure who you talked to as the hotel director was a man, not a woman.  Maybe you spoke to head of housekeeping.  We only received a few notices all week, nothing for art auction, just a few for the spa.  

Onboard Anthem now.  Had to ask about getting compass, no list of officers but plenty of art auction and and spa flyers.