What benefit would I actually see with a cash tip at bar on day 1 or 2?

Woody14

We tip per drink and if we have a server that we use regularly, seeks us out, etc, we tip extra at the END of the cruise.  Just remember, there are those on these and other places online who spend their time baiting people.  They can say they do something, but that doesn't mean they do.    I also think that there are plenty of crew that tell sob stories.  Not all by far, but like anywhere, not everyone is completely trustworthy/honest.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Moltar said:

I always tip two dollars cash  per drink and I notice that I’m always a priority at the bar. Very attentive to me.

Yep. I also tip a buck to the guys at the coffee bar in the morning.  On my last cruise, by the second day they would recognise me walking up and start making my coffee. By the time the people in front of me in line were done ordering, my drink was ready and I just had to pay - no waiting. 

giphy.gif

--bruce T.

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

If you give money upfront, is it still a tip?  Or is it a bribe?

It's a signing bonus just like the $20 mil Bryce Harper got before he played his first game in Philly. Or the much, much  smaller signing bonus my son got from his first employer after graduating from university.

Hey, I sign up for the cruise and my favorite bartender (to be) gets a bonus! 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

The tip by drink is something I also do when in a bar ashore and I see no reason to treat bartenders and wait staff onboard any differently. 

The one difference on the ship is that there is already a gratuity charged (or built in to the package) as part of the drink cost.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BND said:

Oh, I've seen this topic before.

That is fair I did ask a very similar question on a different line's discussion board.   Admittedly there were a lot more people on that board trashing people who don't tip $2 per drink on a regular basis.

43 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Been on a lot of cruises and every crew member seems to have the same sad story. After awhile makes you wonder if they are taught to do this in their training.

Don't get me wrong I still tip but I really rather not hear about their back home stories. Kind of gets old.

I've felt the same way for a long time.  I've said in the forum a couple of times that I'm not sure what to believe, are they fully accurate, a little exaggerated, or totally false.  There is no way of knowing.  I feel that I would rather be on the side of being generous and maybe, just maybe, help the folks that are really struggling to support their family.    

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PWP-001 said:

Actually this is a quote from a brief history of tipping and it's something that I've heard from other sources which I cannot remember to cite:

Tipping—which may have originated in the taverns of 17th Century England, where drinkers would slip money to the waiter “to insure promptitude” or T.I.P for short

Tipping was done in advance.

That really doesn't make any sense. The proper word would be "ensure", not "insure" .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

That is fair I did ask a very similar question on a different line's discussion board.   Admittedly there were a lot more people on that board trashing people who don't tip $2 per drink on a regular basis.

Woody,  have you been sneaking around and posting on the celebrity board? 🙂

If I know I'm going to be hanging out at a specific bar all week, I'll definitely tip heavy day 1. Sometimes you never see that bartender again, sometimes you have the same guy all week and you get better service. Maybe it means you don't have to wait for drinks, maybe it means they spend a little more time on your drink. Sometimes you get info that you wouldn't have access to otherwise. And sometimes they treat you like people who didn't tip extra. Either way I'll keep doing it. I believe in keeping your bartenders happy. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

The one difference on the ship is that there is already a gratuity charged (or built in to the package) as part of the drink cost.

When I am using my C&A drink coupons there is no gratuity added.  

I don't care how anybody defines TIP.  But, facts are facts:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/insure

insure

verb

To save this word, you'll need to log in.

in·sure | \ in-ˈshu̇r  , -ˈshər- \
insured; insuring

Definition of insure

transitive verb

1: to provide or obtain insurance on or for
2: to make certain especially by taking necessary measures and precautions

Synonyms for insure

Synonyms

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Been on a lot of cruises and every crew member seems to have the same sad story. After awhile makes you wonder if they are taught to do this in their training.

Don't get me wrong I still tip but I really rather not hear about their back home stories. Kind of gets old.

Thank you. 

What I can say for sure:  We bring a stack of singles with us when we cruise, and we tip $1 every time we buy a drink.  We do tend to go to the same two bars, and the bartenders definitely remember us.  We definitely get good service -- but, on the other hand, I haven't seen anyone else receiving bad service.

• Like 1

We tip with every drink , mostly because of prompt service and the fact that bartenders and other cruise employees are under paid. Getting a stronger drink is a bonus and faster service on next drink is also a nice bonus, saying thanks also helps.

6 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

If you give money upfront, is it still a tip?  Or is it a bribe?

That was where the concept of tipping came from.

It was supposed to be a "bribe" for better customer service than everybody else, then somehow became customary when everybody started doing it.