8AM Ship Arrival - 10:25AM flight doable?

lifeasme123

We are booked on Seascape (from Miami port).  The schedule has the ship arriving at 8AM.  Does the 8AM arrival mean pax may disembark, or 8AM is the start of the process to clear CBP or Coast Guard?  My friend is looking at a flight at 10:25AM from Miami airport.  She will have only a carryon.  

TIA!

Edited by lifeasme123

• lifeasme123 changed the title to 8AM Ship Arrival - 10:25AM flight doable?
7 minutes ago, Match Game 72 said:

Most people would be comfortable booking a flight after noon.

Agree.  1025AM is nonstop and about $100 less.  Just thought I check on CC for advice for those who have done this, and if 8AM arrival means passengers may walk off with their luggage at that time.  Thanks!

Edited by lifeasme123

8AM is the scheduled arrival time and then allow about a half hour for the ship to be cleared. I think you're cutting it too close. Other considerations: Does friend have TSA precheck? What day of the week is the disembarkation/flight? Is the carry-off baggage also carry-on baggage at the airport?

5 minutes ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

8AM is the scheduled arrival time and then allow about a half hour for the ship to be cleared. I think you're cutting it too close. Other considerations: Does friend have TSA precheck? What day of the week is the disembarkation/flight? Is the carry-off baggage also carry-on baggage at the airport?

Thank you @KINGBOBOFTHENORTH.

Forgot about the TSA Precheck - no she does not have this.

Sunday arrival in Feb (not spring break yet).  

Yes the carry off baggage is the same as the carry on baggage.  There is a possiblity she will not have a luggage.

• Like 1

If passengers can begin self assist walk off at 8 then it’s doable. But our last flight out of MIA had a unusually long security line. Took nearly 45 minutes to get through. Couple that with transportation issues (potential) it’s cutting it very close for comfort. Saving $100 bucks for $1000 bucks worth of stress is a terrible way to end a vacay. JMO 

• Like 6

Next month...We have a 10:55 am flight out of FLL.... But we are on a RCL ship with 6am scheduled arrival and FLL is only 10 min away.. I believe its approx 20-25 min by cab from Miami pier to airport. Doable...YES ... However even if she gets off the ship with no issues...Then you begin worrying about Airport checkin delays.... Only she can answer her tolerance for risk.... But if she is going to worry the last few days of vacation. Why do it 

6 hours ago, lifeasme123 said:

Thank you @KINGBOBOFTHENORTH.

Forgot about the TSA Precheck - no she does not have this.

Sunday arrival in Feb (not spring break yet).  

Yes the carry off baggage is the same as the carry on baggage.  There is a possibility she will not have a luggage.

An 8AM port arrival and a 10:30AM flight is just too short. She would need to be in the absolute first group getting off and hope the debarkation is by 8:30AM, she would need to use a taxi and not a rideshare and she would have to have just one carryon + personal item at the airport. She would have to hope TSA is not that busy on a Sunday morning. And also hopefully, she's not flying American where you can come out of security in their Concourse and literally have a half-hour walk to some of their gates.

9 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

If passengers can begin self assist walk off at 8 then it’s doable. But our last flight out of MIA had a unusually long security line. Took nearly 45 minutes to get through. Couple that with transportation issues (potential) it’s cutting it very close for comfort. Saving $100 bucks for $1000 bucks worth of stress is a terrible way to end a vacay. JMO 

I absolutely agree, and told her that before I posted this question..  Also , she is not even a frequent traveller - and will have to navigate MIA airport by herself..  BTW - I mistyped.  The airfare difference is almost $500.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

Next month...We have a 10:55 am flight out of FLL.... But we are on a RCL ship with 6am scheduled arrival and FLL is only 10 min away.. I believe its approx 20-25 min by cab from Miami pier to airport. Doable...YES ... However even if she gets off the ship with no issues...Then you begin worrying about Airport checkin delays.... Only she can answer her tolerance for risk.... But if she is going to worry the last few days of vacation. Why do it 

I am used to ships arriving at 5 or 6am, so I originally thought 10:25AM is doable.  Luckily I went back to the booking and saw that it will arrive at 8am.  

On 10/18/2022 at 5:09 PM, lifeasme123 said:

We are booked on Seascape (from Miami port).  The schedule has the ship arriving at 8AM.  Does the 8AM arrival mean pax may disembark, or 8AM is the start of the process to clear CBP or Coast Guard?  My friend is looking at a flight at 10:25AM from Miami airport.  She will have only a carryon.  

TIA!

check in in airport closes 1 hour before flight ,so no ,this flight is out of quastion

10 hours ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

check in in airport closes 1 hour before flight ,so no ,this flight is out of quastion

Its 45 min.... but if your doing carryon its obviously less.... The biggest concern would be the unknown delays going through SEcurity

Edited by lcpagejr

Are you sure your arrival time in Miami is 8am??? All the itinerraries I see for various dates shows 6am arrival??!!  It seems extremely late unless they are factoring in a Coast Guard Inspection. 

But this would be unusual for MSC since they are not the most organized when it comes to planning and communication!

Our experience yesterday is a perfect example why scheduling flight before noon May not be best idea.

Divina arrived MIA port 7am. Ship did not get clearance until 8:45.

Those doing walk off reported reported barely making 11:30 flight.

Terminal C has been an issue for MSC recently. Many not sure where to send passengers after checking out of ship. We were sent two different ways, with port employees fighting over who is sending people the wrong way.

Customs had 3 stations to clear an entire ship of passengers. One passenger passed out while waiting in line. We were in line for 1 1/2 hours.

Facial recognition not working. Agents did manual passport with taking photo process. I asked if Global Entry would help…no.

We were in YC so, did not have to wait in lines on the ship. Those waiting in lines just to check out of ship had it much worse. 

On 10/18/2022 at 5:43 PM, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

King Bob!  Wonderful to see you're still active on the boards.  Please message me if you can or e-mail me at allnmacd@yahoo.ca  Jacqueline has been gone 8 years already but never forgotten obviously.

On 10/22/2022 at 9:41 AM, lcpagejr said:

Are you sure your arrival time in Miami is 8am??? All the itinerraries I see for various dates shows 6am arrival??!!  It seems extremely late unless they are factoring in a Coast Guard Inspection. 

But this would be unusual for MSC since they are not the most organized when it comes to planning and communication!

I am used to 6am or 7am arrival as well.  I am glad I rechecked.  

image.thumb.png.13e6d64a4689587928c6adb91f7e9789.png

Edited by lifeasme123
Added

On 10/22/2022 at 12:18 PM, phissy said:

Our experience yesterday is a perfect example why scheduling flight before noon May not be best idea.

Divina arrived MIA port 7am. Ship did not get clearance until 8:45.

Those doing walk off reported reported barely making 11:30 flight.

Terminal C has been an issue for MSC recently. Many not sure where to send passengers after checking out of ship. We were sent two different ways, with port employees fighting over who is sending people the wrong way.

Customs had 3 stations to clear an entire ship of passengers. One passenger passed out while waiting in line. We were in line for 1 1/2 hours.

Facial recognition not working. Agents did manual passport with taking photo process. I asked if Global Entry would help…no.

We were in YC so, did not have to wait in lines on the ship. Those waiting in lines just to check out of ship had it much worse. 

She booked a 12:30pm flight, after 12 noon.  She may have a carry-on,  or just her purse. 

So no global entry at cruise port???

MSC ships only dock at terminal C?  Our cruise will be on the new ship, Seascape.

Edited by lifeasme123

3 hours ago, lifeasme123 said:

I am used to 6am or 7am arrival as well.  I am glad I rechecked.  

image.thumb.png.13e6d64a4689587928c6adb91f7e9789.png

Likely because your coming in from Jamaica  after one sea day...Pretty good haul ...so Im sure they built in some extra time. Still wouldn't be surprised if you arrived earlier.