Haven dinner dress code-worried if we get upgrade

BatchawanaBabe

On 10/22/2022 at 11:27 AM, RocketMan275 said:

We wouldn't sail anyother way.

Just to clarify; if the Haven went away, you would never cruise again?  Great!!  More room for us steerage class folks.  We're very tired of being shoved into cramped inside cabins without any hope of seeing the "sunshine" that the rest of the passengers experience.

• Haha 3

On 10/22/2022 at 3:01 PM, MotownVoice said:

There is no dress code …. On any Norwegian ship ….. ever.  With one exception.   They request “business smart” in the formal dining rooms.  But from the sounds of other experiences they don’t even enforce that.  

What the hell is business smart?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

There are no "tips" other than on the FAS items.  Perhaps you means the DSC? 

@BatchawanaBabe - just so there is no confusion:  Large numbers of the cruising public consider the DSC and tips/gratuities to be one and the same.  This understanding is heavily supported by NCL's and the major TA's marketing departments that frequently promote "free gratuities" and "free tips" when they intend to pay the DSC.  So long as the marketing teams propagate that relationship, DSC = tips and/or gratuities.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Just to clarify; if the Haven went away, you would never cruise again?  Great!!  More room for us steerage class folks.  We're very tired of being shoved into cramped inside cabins without any hope of seeing the "sunshine" that the rest of the passengers experience.

Why does the Haven bother you?

• Like 2

On 10/22/2022 at 1:56 PM, BatchawanaBabe said:

Our 21 day Panama Canal cruise starts tomorrow. We just flew into Seattle last night and got an email advising that our Courtyard Haven upgrade from regular balcony is pending. Now I’m worried about the dress code if it goes through since we’re here. We’re used to Celebrity’s Aqua class where men usually wear jackets in the evening and women wear fancier outfits. We didn’t bring those. Should we cancel our upgrade request and just stay in our regular balcony since we packed for that?  

Also, is it worth the additional money?  We didn’t get the beverage package since we don’t drink much. Are alcoholic drinks included? I know we get a coffee machine.  Thanks, Lia

Everyone who places a bid has "Pending"

7 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I know the real reason you don't like the Haven...you just want one of the fancy "smoked" cocktails. I'll stowaway your steerage self into the Haven when we're onboard just to show you how the other side lives! Maybe, you'll even get an Almond Croissant. 🙂

• Like 3

On 10/22/2022 at 2:20 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

I would beg to differ.

I bid on a Haven Spa cabin, I expect to receive the spa benefits. I in fact won my bid and we will find out tomorrow for sure.

Even in the description of the room for bidding it talks about easy access to the Spa.

if you bid for the Haven Spa Suite you and get it, yes, you get the spa access, and access to the Haven, what you don't get are extra perks that may  come with it if you had purchased it outright. I hope it makes sense.

3 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

if you bid for the Haven Spa Suite you and get it, yes, you get the spa access, and access to the Haven, what you don't get are extra perks that may  come with it if you had purchased it outright. I hope it makes sense.

I did get all the extra perks as well as the full spa package.

It turns out I am not even being charged extra for the free gratuities of my original perk even though Haven is higher.

Beautiful room. Nice jacuzzi tub in main room overlooking the Ocean.

• Like 3

On 10/22/2022 at 2:20 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

I would beg to differ.

I bid on a Haven Spa cabin, I expect to receive the spa benefits. I in fact won my bid and we will find out tomorrow for sure.

Even in the description of the room for bidding it talks about easy access to the Spa.

Easy access simply means that it is close and easy to get to.  Unless the cabin type includes the term "SPA" in the title, you do NOT get spa access w/o paying for it.  Your expectations have nothing to do with it.

On 10/22/2022 at 1:56 PM, BatchawanaBabe said:

Now I’m worried about the dress code if it goes through since we’re here. We’re used to Celebrity’s Aqua class where men usually wear jackets in the evening and women wear fancier outfits. We didn’t bring those. Should we cancel our upgrade request and just stay in our regular balcony since we packed for that?  

We have cruised in Celebrity's Aqua class in Europe and I have no recall of people being especially dressed up at dinner at all.  It is possible I didn't notice but I assume clean and presentable is just fine.  We usually have extended plans for a land trip after or before the cruise.  There is no way I am dragging fancy clothes I don't need through train stations and from hotel to hotel. 

2 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I did get all the extra perks as well as the full spa package.

It turns out I am not even being charged extra for the free gratuities of my original perk even though Haven is higher.

Beautiful room. Nice jacuzzi tub in main room overlooking the Ocean.

Oh my even better. Congratulations. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Easy access simply means that it is close and easy to get to.  Unless the cabin type includes the term "SPA" in the title, you do NOT get spa access w/o paying for it.  Your expectations have nothing to do with it.

Spa Haven suite.

Full access for 21 days😁

• Like 4

We just got off the Joy on Saturday. We were in the Haven. The Haven restaurant was lovely and wait staff very very nice. As far as a dress code people wore whatever they felt like. I didn’t see anyone dressed up except the last night. A few got dressed up but most not. Some men wore shorts but never saw any women wearing them. I mean we were on a Canada cruise so I always felt the ship was a bit cool. Anyway everyone wore whatever they wanted. So don’t worry about it. Have a great cruise no matter where your cabin is!

• Like 3

The joy of sailing with NCL is that you can do almost anything you want in terms of dress code. At the Haven restaurant at night there will be folks dressed to the 9's, folks like us in simple clothes, and folks in between.

If you didn't opt for the drink package, you won't get it for free by being in Haven. You can always add it on once on board if you feel you want it. Moving into Haven will give you access to the Haven-only parts of the ship (private bar, private restaurant, private pool/sun deck, the butler service, dedicated concierge, etc etc).

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Holly g said:

Some men wore shorts but never saw any women wearing them. 

Shorts are barbaric in one of the formal dining rooms.    But that’s just one of my obsessions.   I mean, if you were thrown overboard in the only pair of long pants you packed and you’re just waiting for them to dry, I guess that would be one thing.  But presuming you have a pair of ordinary mens slacks or even some jeans for goddsake … wear the damned things.  No one wants to see your tarantula legs while they’re trying to enjoy their angel hair pasta.  

Edited by EvanBedar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, EvanBedar said:

Shorts are barbaric in one of the formal dining rooms.    But that’s just one of my obsessions.   I mean, if you were thrown overboard in the only pair of long pants you packed and you’re just waiting for them to dry, I guess that would be one thing.  But presuming you have a pair of ordinary mens slacks or even some jeans for goddsake … wear the damned things.  No one wants to see your tarantula legs while they’re trying to enjoy their angel hair pasta.  

Flip flops/sandals are even worse.  No one wants to look over and see your nasty azz feet as you walk by their table and they are trying very hard to enjoy a nice meal.  While we are at it, leave the caps in the cabin, wearing a cap to dinner is just extremely band manners.

• Thanks 3

12 hours ago, EvanBedar said:

12 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Flip flops/sandals are even worse.  No one wants to look over and see your nasty azz feet as you walk by their table and they are trying very hard to enjoy a nice meal.  While we are at it, leave the caps in the cabin, wearing a cap to dinner is just extremely band manners.

Oh Evan! You got a rise out of me...until I remembered your posting style...much like mine! Humorous, ridiculous, and a bit creepy (tarantula legs, really)! I'll be sure to wear the shortest short shorts I can find, next time I'm onboard. Just for you. 

MoCruise, you're my tough guy! Haha...my flippie floppies will always make an appearance in the restaurant! Sometimes my crusty, nasty looking feet are too dry so I've gotta put the socks on, with gobs of lotion. Too much time in the thermal suite for my lil piggies. 

To the OP, this is all so that you know whatever you want to wear in the Haven is just fine (as so many others have said, much more eloquently than I). 

14 hours ago, EvanBedar said:

One would see fewer barbaric sights if one spent less time crawling around on the floor looking under tables for those wearing shorts.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Well flip flops are not sandals, i will leave it at that 🙂 I am a man and i love sandals, I take care of my feet and i use them in the MDR, and i am sure i would use them in the Haven restaurant. If Sandals are good enough for women to wear in the restaurants ( and i have seen them) then I will certainly go for it and i have :-).....Now shorts, well that's another matter, during lunch i am ok with them, now dinner? hmm don't know about that, but that's just me. Wear what you want, i say.  I  am too busy enjoying my meal, or talking to the person in front of me to look at peoples feet or legs. IMO :-)...

Edited by spanishguy1970
  • Like 1